Julia of Carthage, Execution by Crucifixion

Go to CruxDreams.com
I just had an opportunity to view the execution by crucifixion of Julia of Carthage. I am most impressed, I have a few questions, why was she not made to strip befofe being placed on her cross? for that matter why was she not made to walk to her execution by crucifixion barefoot, and almost naked? why was she not made to carry the cross beam to the place of execution?, to strip her after being nailed on her cross was very erotic to be sure, but did that not deprive her of the full effects of crucifixion? I think so, but that's only my opinion. My last question is in the last picture Juila naked on her cross was she allowed to sit on something? if so what?, and why?, if anyone can answer my questions I would be thankful.

Well let's see.

Catherine, if you're talking about the Julia of Carthage pictures posted on the Favorite Artists thread, understand that unlike the Crucifixion of Tarathalia (or Flavia, depends on who's done the captioning), Damian's pictures do not tell a story as such.

The first one in which she's crucified clothed is a 19th century painting by this German guy named von Mack. I suppose the reason he left her clothed (she even has shoes on!!) is that he was trying for a sanitized and saccharine "angelic martyrdom" effect, suitable for a Victorian audience.

The other three pictures are savage parodies of the original. In one the "mourner" at the foot of the cross strips her with a sick grin. In another she's gang raped by legionaries while partially nailed to the cross. In the last she hangs naked and nailed, a lot closer to how the real Julia died than that silly von Mack painting. And if you look closely you will see she is sitting on something; an iron cornu is rammed up inside her.

It sounds as if you might like Herr Doktor Mabuse's site. If you haven't been by there yet, give it a try:

http://krypta.i24.cc/saints.html

His entry on the unfortunate Julia is here:

http://krypta.i24.cc/saint.php?dir=Julia

(links updated 5/14/06)

Back
Top Bottom