Medieval Torture

Go to CruxDreams.com
thanks Rachel - your collection of woodcuts is a wonderful resource,
it's good you share them with us. As those who know me will expect,
I especially like #4, lots of interesting things you can have done to you on a wheel!

Reactions: Pia
The medieval woodcuts in this thread remind me of scenes from the "Martyr's Mirror", a book printed by the anabaptist reformers in 1660, containing "inspiring" stories of Christian reformers who were tortured and executed by the state churches for going against established doctrine (and treason, because the church was tied to the state). In #10, wreaths of straw were put on the heads of the two young maidens to be burned. They are reputed to have said to each other that if Christ had to wear a crown of thorns at his crucifixion, they would be more than happy to have crowns of straw, and so they went to their martyrdom rejoicing.
AnnekendeVlasteran-thrownintofire1571.jpg burning_of_18_anabaptists_at_salzburg_1528.jpg BurningMariavanBeckum1544.jpg burning-of-arnoldus-teacher-from-brixen-rome.jpg drowning-of-joris-wippe-dordrecht-1558.jpg drowning-of-maria-van-monjou-1552.jpg MM-02.jpg MM-BurningofDavidandLeveena.jpg MM-Garrotting and burning.jpg TwoYoungMaidens(Burned).jpg

The medieval woodcuts in this thread remind me of scenes from the "Martyr's Mirror", a book printed by the anabaptist reformers in 1660, containing "inspiring" stories of Christian reformers who were tortured and executed by the state churches for going against established doctrine (and treason, because the church was tied to the state). In #10, wreaths of straw were put on the heads of the two young maidens to be burned. They are reputed to have said to each other that if Christ had to wear a crown of thorns at his crucifixion, they would be more than happy to have crowns of straw, and so they went to their martyrdom rejoicing.
View attachment 244386 View attachment 244387 View attachment 244388 View attachment 244389 View attachment 244390 View attachment 244391 View attachment 244392 View attachment 244393 View attachment 244394 View attachment 244395
Not 1660 I'm thinking more about the dutch iconoclasm in 1560
Beeldenstorm in Dutch, roughly translatable to "statue storm", or Bildersturm in German ("image/statue storm"), also the Iconoclastic Fury, is a term used for outbreaks of destruction of religious images that occurred in Europe in the 16th century. During these spates of iconoclasm, Catholic art and many forms of church fittings and decoration were destroyed in unofficial or mob actions by nominally Calvinist Protestant crowds as part of the Protestant Reformation. Most of the destruction was of art in churches and public places.

The Dutch term usually specifically refers to the wave of disorderly attacks in the summer of 1566 that spread rapidly through the Low Countries from south to north. Similar outbreaks of iconoclasm took place in other parts of Europe, especially in Switzerland and the Holy Roman Empire in the period between 1522 and 1566, notably Zürich (in 1523), Copenhagen (1530), Münster (1534), Geneva (1535), and Augsburg (1537). In England there was both government-sponsored removal of images and also spontaneous attacks from 1535 onwards, and in Scotland from 1559.[2] In France there were several outbreaks as part of the French Wars of Religion from 1560 onwards.
Looting_of_the_Churches_of_Lyon_by_the_Calvinists_1562.jpg

"Martyrs Mirror"(Martelaersspiegel) was published by Tieleman Jansz van Braght, a Mennonite (anabaptist) elder in 1660. The book recounts the persecution of Christians from Roman times through the persecutions of protestants by Catholics. The 1685 edition included 104 etchings by Jan Luyken - numbers 8 & 9 in Jollyrei's post are by Luyken, I'm not sure about the others.
http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Martyrs'_Mirror

they get lots of luyks? :p

Back
Top Bottom