Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Hundred years ago, on October 28th 1919 : US Congress approves the Volstead Act.

The Act eneabled execution of the 18rh Amendment of the US Constitution about a ban on alcohol manufacturing and sales.

Beginning of Prohibition.

No more Seagram's in the stores !:eek:

In 1933, the 21st Amendement would withdraw the 18th, ending Prohibition. The only time in history so far, that an amendment was withdrawn.
NO SEAGRAM'S?!?!?! To war I say!!!
Thank you for the post.

There are those of us still hoping for the repeal of the 16th Amendment :rolleyes:
There are dreams and futile fantasies...

Hundred years ago, on October 28th 1919 : US Congress approves the Volstead Act.

The Act eneabled execution of the 18rh Amendment of the US Constitution about a ban on alcohol manufacturing and sales.

Beginning of Prohibition.

No more Seagram's in the stores !:eek:

In 1933, the 21st Amendement would withdraw the 18th, ending Prohibition. The only time in history so far, that an amendment was withdrawn.
This was an economic bonanza--a lot of fortunes were made bootlegging (the Kennedys, though, have always denied it). It also made the career of Eliot Ness and professionalized federal law enforcement as "untouchable".

OK, here is another anniversary. On October 29th, 1969, fifty years ago, the very first message was sent from one computer to another in the US. It was the beginning of ARPANET, a network of linked computers in the US. ARPANET is generally considered as the first precursor of internet.

OK, here is another anniversary. On October 29th, 1969, fifty years ago, the very first message was sent from one computer to another in the US. It was the beginning of ARPANET, a network of linked computers in the US. ARPANET is generally considered as the first precursor of internet.
I thought Al Gore invented the web?!?!?!

The 16th Amendment wasn't ratified until 1913... The civil war was over long before that!!!
What you say about the amendment is true. However:
I would have to check the details, but I expect that the amendment was needed to allow a graduated income tax, with rates varying with income, since the constitution calls for "uniform" taxation. I don't know much about Lincoln's tax. I know he went off the gold standard as well.

What you say about the amendment is true. However:
I don't know much about Lincoln's tax. I know he went off the gold standard as well.
That's ok... Seagram's 7 isn't gold...

Way outside my ken, but judging by what I read here

it would be more correct to say it was 'among the first precursors of the internet'?
From what I remember about this, the main idea was to find "protocols" to allow machines to communicate. In other words, they came up with a standard set of rules that every machine connected to the net would know and follow. There were protocols at the "hardware" level--when can you put your bits on the wire, and when do you hold off, and how much you can send at a time so you don't hog the wire; how you decide which bits are for you. You also have to be aware of how the wire works--optical fiber has to be handled somewhat differently that metal wires because it has more capacity but obviously because it uses light instead of electrons. There were more layers above that--the "packets" were like Russian dolls, with another set of instructions inside an outer set. "TCP" (transmission control protocol), for example, told each machine that accepted a packet from the hardware for further processing about the data, what the order of the packet was (in other words, this is the third part--you need the other two), how to interpret it (this is coming to you so you can just send it on to Ziggy; this is for you). The hardware, by contrast, didn't have to care about what was in the message or whether it was complete--it just needed to know where it started and stopped, and whether to rebroadcast or accept it and send it up to the higher layers on the machine it was attached to. The internet works with relay machines called "routers", and they pick the path for the next leg of the journey (they are supposed to be aware of connections and also of how much traffic there is and pick the best route) to the final destination.
It has been years since I had a course in this (and I am curious but not SO curious that I keep up on it).
I don't know what the Russians did. I don't discount them. But the idea of protocols and layers and special processors to handle them is the real contribution of the pioneers. They also came up with the specifications for the programs (which of course vary by machine)--write it in whatever language you want but it has to do X and do it Y time at least.
Of course, there was money in this, and everyone (especially IBM) wanted to have what they were doing incorporated in to what everybody did, so the stuff that they had became "standard".
So, the "standards" started to get a little out of hand.
The book I used in my course said the following. "The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from, and if you don't like what you see you can propose your own."

And yesterday, I also overlooked the 90th anniversary of Black Thursday on Wall street (24th October 1929).:doh:
The crach of the stock market that triggered The Great Depression.
90 years ago yesterday, came the dam-burst on Black Tuesday. The Dow lost 13% on Monday, and on Tuesday the trading was chaotic with almost no buyers to match the flood of would-be sellers. The Dow average dropped a total of 23% in two days. The ticker-tapes ran as much as 4 hours late which added tot eh confusion and panic. Outside of the trading floor, the news on your stock was hours behind.
The equivalent loss today would be 6,200 point loss on the Dow. Stock values declined over two days by a total of over $30 Billion. In 2019 dollars, $450 TRILLION. And that was in a far smaller economy than todays, even in constant dollars.

90 years ago yesterday, came the dam-burst on Black Tuesday. The Dow lost 13% on Monday, and on Tuesday the trading was chaotic with almost no buyers to match the flood of would-be sellers. The Dow average dropped a total of 23% in two days. The ticker-tapes ran as much as 4 hours late which added tot eh confusion and panic. Outside of the trading floor, the news on your stock was hours behind.
The equivalent loss today would be 6,200 point loss on the Dow. Stock values declined over two days by a total of over $30 Billion. In 2019 dollars, $450 TRILLION. And that was in a far smaller economy than todays, even in constant dollars.

black freeday???/ :oops: :cat:

The Dow Jones index had reached its peak around 380, early september 1929. It was already slacking since. The crash made it drop from 299 to 230. It would further go down to around 50 in 1932.

Makes me wonder whether a drop from 299 to 230 - about 70 points, would be noticed now, with today's level of over 27000.

The Dow Jones index had reached its peak around 380, early september 1929. It was already slacking since. The crash made it drop from 299 to 230. It would further go down to around 50 in 1932.

Makes me wonder whether a drop from 299 to 230 - about 70 points, would be noticed now, with today's level of over 27000.
Percentage-wise, that much drop --23%-- would send the DJ to around 20000. It would very much get noticed!:rolleye:

Today marks the start of the Protestant Reformation, 502 years ago
Whatever your position on Protestant v. Catholic or even Atheist, Gutenberg's Movable Type (1450), Columbus's voyages of discovery (beginning 1492), and Luther's challenge to the Catholic establishment (1517), all within 67 years (less than I have lived) were a tectonic shift of European and, in fact, World, Life and Culture.

lutherthesen_latein.png
lutherthesen_anschlag.jpg

Back
Top Bottom