Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
If I may post a personal milestone. Today is 7 years of being smokeless and tobacco free.
I was a smoker for 55 years with a pack a day habit. I quit cold turkey.

I post this so others will know it IS possible to do, and may not be as difficult as you think.

Btw, I've saved $14,600 that hasn't gone up in smoke.

If I may post a personal milestone. Today is 7 years of being smokeless and tobacco free.

I post this so others will know it IS possible to do, and may not be as difficult as you think.

Congratulations! I assume it still needs resistance against the seduction of 'just one, for the occasion', particularly in the beginning.

Congratulations! I assume it still needs resistance against the seduction of 'just one, for the occasion', particularly in the beginning.
Actually no. For me the physical craving for a cigarette went away after about 2 or 3 weeks. The psychological craving went away after 4 or 5 months, and became only thoughts and memories of smoking a few times a day. And even those gradually became fewer and fewer over time. Now it's rare when I think about smoking at all.

Congratulations on getting it right the first time. I only managed it the third time, in 1996. The first 5-6 months were the worst, especially when I went to a restaurant. Then I kept thinking, "I would have smoked a cigarette before, but I don't smoke anymore."

Congratulations on getting it right the first time. I only managed it the third time, in 1996. The first 5-6 months were the worst, especially when I went to a restaurant. Then I kept thinking, "I would have smoked a cigarette before, but I don't smoke anymore."
Yes, that sounds familiar. Glad you made it too.

Actually no. For me the physical craving for a cigarette went away after about 2 or 3 weeks. The psychological craving went away after 4 or 5 months, and became only thoughts and memories of smoking a few times a day. And even those gradually became fewer and fewer over time. Now it's rare when I think about smoking at all.
Impressive - no vapes or nicotine patches? You may have added years to your life - I hope so, anyway!

Impressive - no vapes or nicotine patches? You may have added years to your life - I hope so, anyway!

Thanks.
I couldn't use patches because I didn't weigh enough at the time, and Chantix wasn't an option because I was already taking antidepressants... too risky.
I had a lung infection at the time, so I got a few days head start on quitting. I also lived alone so there wasn't anyone smoking around me.
So I had some thing things working in my favor.
And I certainly added several years to my life.

On December 11, 1941, Poland declared war on the Empire of Japan. It's not a joke, and Japan's diplomatic response was equally serious: “We do not accept Poland’s challenge. The Poles, fighting for their freedom, only declared war on us under pressure from the United Kingdom”.

Complexities of the war...
In the days after Pearl Harbour, many countries have declared war on Japan, including Latin American countries such as El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica... Also a few governments in exile, like Poland, Yugoslavia, Belgium and The Netherlands did. Of course, The Netherlands had interests in the Pacific (Indonesia), and had an army there. The other three had no interests in the region. But one of the consequences of Belgium's war declaration was, that after the defeat of Nazi germany, Belgian conscripts were drafted to go training in Scotland, for taking part in the planned invasion of Japan. Japan's surrender after the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and nagasaki saved them from this.

In the days after Pearl Harbour, many countries have declared war on Japan, including Latin American countries such as El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica... Also a few governments in exile, like Poland, Yugoslavia, Belgium and The Netherlands did. Of course, The Netherlands had interests in the Pacific (Indonesia), and had an army there. The other three had no interests in the region. But one of the consequences of Belgium's war declaration was, that after the defeat of Nazi germany, Belgian conscripts were drafted to go training in Scotland, for taking part in the planned invasion of Japan. Japan's surrender after the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and nagasaki saved them from this.

My late father in law, who was serving in Burma during the war, was also grateful for the bomb. An invasion of Japan would have been far worse than dropping those two bombs. Not worse for those who suffered from the bombs of course, but many many more would have suffered.

In the days after Pearl Harbor, many countries have declared war on Japan, including Latin American countries such as El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica.
Additionally, several countries chose not to declare war on Japan in 1941. The USSR did it on August 8, 1945, Turkey on February 23, 1945. (USSR also invaded Poland in 1939, Poland never declared war on it).
I think that it's more the geopolitics of a transitioning empire's core, shifting from Great Britain to the USA, accompanied by substantial doses of nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom