Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Saint Andrew's cross or Andrew Cross may refer to:
§Crux decussata, one of several shapes of the Crucifix in Christian imagery.
§Saltire, X-shaped cross in heraldry and vexillology. St. Andrew's Cross usually refers to following specific flags:
§Flag of Scotland, white saltire on a blue field
§Battle Flag of the Confederate States of America, blue and white saltire on a red field
§Russian Navy Ensign, blue saltire on a white field
§Saint Andrew's Cross (BDSM), X-shaped cross in BDSM dungeons
§St. Andrew's cross (philately), an otherwise blank area on a sheet of stamps, which is printed with a cross
§St Andrew's Cross spider
§Multiplication sign
§Andrew Cross Award for UK religious journalism
219477960.jpgAndrew%20Apostle%20CVIv.jpgSantAndreaskreus.jpgst_andrew_cross.jpgtumblr_m12cb5fmFA1r8gmqoo1_500.jpgX_cross5sm.jpgxcrossss.jpgzexto2 (32).jpg
Saint Andrew
Saint Andrew ©
Saint Andrew's Day is November 30.
Saint Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland, Greece and Russia and was Christ's first disciple.
There are around 600 pre-Reformation churches in England named after Saint Andrew, in contrast to Scotland's handful of churches of all denominations named after the saint. Nevertheless, it was Scotland that adopted Andrew as its patron - probably because, Saint Andrew being the brother of Saint Peter, it gave the Scots considerable political leverage with the Pope in pleading for help against the belligerent English!
Saint Andrew is the Patron Saint of Scotland, and St. Andrew's Day is celebrated by Scots around the world on the 30th November. The flag of Scotland is the Cross of St. Andrew, and this is widely displayed as a symbol of national identity.

Headline in yesterday's St. Louis Post Dispatch...

"Risk for obesity begins in womb, before age 3"
Many of the ladies here have stated they haven't had children. Take this tip from Tree- If your baby is goung on three years old and is still in your womb, you need to find a new baby doctor....

Tree

Headline in yesterday's St. Louis Post Dispatch...

"Risk for obesity begins in womb, before age 3"
Many of the ladies here have stated they haven't had children. Take this tip from Tree- If your baby is goung on three years old and is still in your womb, you need to find a new baby doctor....

Tree

:eek:

..i'm begining to miss the virgin martyrs...

t
They're like London buses, you don't see any for ages, then four come along at once.
But I'll move Bibiana forward, patron saint of hangovers (I kid you not):

Dec. 2nd: Bibiana (Viviana) of Rome (4th cent?): nothing reliable is known about the saint whose relics are in the Basilica of Santa Bibiana in Rome. One legend says that she was the daughter of Christians, Flavian, a Roman knight, and Dafrosa, his wife. In 363, Emperor Julian the Apostate made Apronianus Governor of Rome. Bibiana and her family suffered in the persecution started by him. Flavian was tortured and sent into exile, where he died of his wounds. Dafrosa was beheaded, and their two daughters, Bibiana and Demetria, were stripped of their possessions and imprisoned, starving, in their house. They spent their time in prayer. Apronianus, seeing that hunger and want had no effect upon them, summoned them to his court. Demetria, after confessing her faith, fell dead at his feet. Bibiana was reserved for greater sufferings. She was placed in the hands of a wicked woman called Rufina, who tried to pervert her. She used blows as well as seduction, but the Christian virgin remained faithful. Enraged at the constancy of this saintly girl, Apronianus ordered her to be tied to a pillar and beaten with scourges weighted with lead plummets. The saint endured the torture with joy, until she died under the blows.Her body was then put in the open air to be fought over by wild animals,but none of them would touch it. After two days she was buried.

Bibiana is patroness of hangovers, no idea why, but I found this poem on a blog:
http://shadowblind.hubpages.com/hub/Prayer-to-Bibana-Patron-Saint-of-Hangovers:

My dearest Bibana, I thank you the most.
Thank you for sending me that psychedelic Jesus;
You know, the dude who died on a cross to save us?
Yeah, I saw him last night. Man it was weird;
He had a big wooden cross on his shoulder, and a scraggly hippie beard.
He had lime green sandals and glasses of a violet hue,
Linens around his loins (for respects sake)
But no shirt; I think a tie-dye would do.
Around his neck hung multicolored beads,
I noticed, as he sat across from me to help me with my needs.
“Listen up, cat,” he said, “I can’t talk long,
This fucking cross is heavy and I ain’t that strong.”
I stared on in wonder and thought, “It has to be the beer,”
Blinked a few times, and knew
God was here.
“Okay, dipshit, you better look at me with some class
The only reason I’m here’s ‘cause St. Bibi’s on her ass
In heaven playin’ PlayStation with my Pops and St. Pete.
She’s probably kickin martyr ass too, but the reason I’m in this seat
Across from you is this:
Tomorrow you’ll have a migraine the size of Israel
And be soaked in your own piss.
I know it sounds painful and humiliating, this gig,
But it ain’t nothin’ compared to martyrdom. I’m talkin’ crucifixion, ya dig?
Alright, I’ll let you go, now. Know your limitations next time.
Peace, my brother.”
And disappeared that savior of mine
Amid the hookers and drag queens trying their best to sing,
(No offense, they sounded tone deaf)
And that dry, high-pitched ring
Of a laughing long-time smoker as he pats me on the back,
The tourists yakking about the city as the sky fades to black
Due to my Screwdriver and Mind-erasers and that last Sex on the Beach.
Before I blacked out I craved a cigarette, but it seemed so out of reach.
I awoke the next morning in latex and a thong upon my head,
A splitting headache, and the smell of urine all over me and the bed.
As I tossed my cookies, I wondered “Why, God, why give me this curse?”
Then I remembered Jesus and thought, “Eh - could be worse.”
So thanks Bibiana, I’ll try not to get drunk again
Try being the main word. Just kidding. Praise Jesus. Amen.

Thank you, Eul. I am not familiar with the term 'Hangover'. It apparently occurs when someone stops drinking.

T

...some people see things and ask 'why'
I see things and thank god for Madame Wu's..."

Tree

December is the twelfth and last month of the year in the modern Gregorian Calendar and one of seven Gregorian months with the length of 31 days. In Latin, decem means "ten". December was also the tenth month in the Roman calendar until a monthless winter period was divided between January and February.
December is the month with the shortest daylight hours of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and the longest daylight hours of the year in the Southern Hemisphere. December in the Northern Hemisphere is the seasonal equivalent to June in the Southern Hemisphere and vice versa. In the Northern hemisphere, Winter begins on December 21, the Winter Solstice.
In Roman times, the Winter Solstice was the birthday of Sol Invictus, the invincible sun, and the cause of much merry-making. Many of the traditions we associate with Christmas had their origins in pagan practices, not just in Rome, which is why the Puritans of old and modern Jehovah's Witnesses eschew the celebration of Christmas. (The PC Thought Police also dislike the holiday but for entirely different reasons: e.g., Santa's obesity "sends the wrong message;" his jolly "ho-ho" is "insulting to women," etc.)
800. Charlemagne judges the accusations against Pope Leo III in the Vatican. Leo was acquitted, his enemies exiled, and on Christmas Day Leo crowned Charlemagne Holy Roman Emperor.
1135. King Henry I of England dies; and soon after, the country plunges into civil war. Henry I was the third son of William the Conqueror and the first born in England after the Norman Conquest of 1066. He succeeded his elder brother William II as King of England in 1100 and defeated his eldest brother, Robert Curthose, to become Duke of Normandy in 1106. He was called Beauclerc for his scholarly interests and "Lion of Justice" for refinements which he brought about in the rudimentary administrative and legislative machinery of the time.
Henry's reign is noted for its political opportunism. He engineered his succession while his brother Robert was away on the First Crusade; and the beginning of his reign was occupied by wars with Robert for control of England and Normandy. He successfully reunited the two realms for the first time since his father's death in 1087. Upon his succession he granted the baronage a Charter of Liberties, which formed a basis for subsequent challenges to rights of kings and presaged the Magna Carta, which subjected king to law.
A reformer at heart, Henry established the biannual Exchequer to manage the treasury. He used itinerant officials to curb abuses of power at the local and regional level, winning the praise of the people. The differences between the Anglo-Saxon and Norman populations began to break down during his reign and he himself married a daughter of the old Saxon royal house. But he could not smooth out his succession after the disastrous loss of his eldest son William in the wreck of the White Ship. His named his daughter, the Empress Matilda, his successor but his death was followed by civil war known as the Anarchy.
1420. Henry V of England enters Paris. After military experience fighting various lords who rebelled against his father, Henry IV, Henry came into political conflict with the increasingly ill king. After his father's death, Henry rapidly assumed control of the country and embarked on war with France. From an unassuming start, his military successes in the Hundred Years' War, culminating with his famous victory at the Battle of Agincourt, saw him come close to conquering France. After months of negotiation with Charles VI of France, the Treaty of Troyes recognized Henry V as regent and heir to the French throne, and he was subsequently married to Charles' daughter, Catherine of Valois. Following Henry V's sudden death in France of dysentery, he was succeeded by his infant son, who reigned as Henry VI.
1521. Pope Leo X dies. Born Giovanni di Lorenzo de' Medici, Leo X was the Pope from 1513 to his death in 1521. He was the last non-priest (only a deacon) to be elected Pope. He is known for granting indulgences for those who donated to reconstruct St. Peter's Basilica and his challenging of Martin Luther's 95 Theses. He was the second son of Lorenzo de' Medici, the most famous ruler of the Florentine Republic, and Clarice Orsini. His cousin, Giulio di Giuliano de' Medici, would later succeed him as Pope Clement VII (1523–34).

1640. Portugal regains its independence from Spain and João IV of Portugal becomes king.

1768. The slave ship Fredensborg sinks off Tromøy in Norway during a storm.
1779. General George Washington's army settles into a second season at Morristown, New Jersey. Washington's personal circumstances improved dramatically as he moved into the Ford Mansion and was able to conduct his military business in the style of a proper 18th-century gentleman. However, the worst winter of the 1700s coupled with the collapse of the colonial economy ensured misery for Washington's underfed, poorly clothed and unpaid troops as they struggled for the next two months to construct their 1,000-plus "log-house city" from 600 acres of New Jersey woodland
Life was similarly bleak for the war-weary civilian population. With an economy weakened by war, household income declined 40 percent. Farmers faced raids from the British and their Indian allies. Merchants lost foreign trade. Even a great victory, such as the capture of British General John Burgoyne's army in October 1777, led to 7,800 more mouths to feed. As in 1776, the troops were eager to go home and many did. Although enlistment papers showed 16,000 men in Washington's ranks, only 3,600 men stood ready to accept his commands.
The British army faced a similar crisis. Civilians at home no longer shared British King George III's determination to keep the colonies within the empire. They too suffered from lost trade and increased debt endemic to war. To fill the royal army, the crown had to tolerate Catholics, which engendered religious violence. The war of attrition was quickly becoming one of contrition for both sides.
1822. Peter I is crowned Emperor of Brazil.

1824. Since no candidate received a majority of the total electoral college votes in the U.S. presidential election, the United States House of Representatives is given the task to decide the winner (as stipulated by the Twelfth Amendment to the United States Constitution).
The previous few years had seen a one-party government in the United States, as the Federalist Party had dissolved, leaving only the Democratic-Republican Party. In this election, the Democratic-Republican party splintered as four separate candidates sought the presidency. The faction led by Andrew Jackson would evolve into the Democratic Party, while the factions led by John Quincy Adams and Henry Clay would become the National Republican Party and later the Whig Party.
This election is notable for being the only time since the passage of the Twelfth Amendment that the presidential election was thrown into the House of Representatives, as no candidate received a majority of the electoral vote. It is also often said to be the first election in which the president did not win the popular vote. This is hard to determine because a quarter of the states did not conduct a popular vote, but instead had the state legislature choose their electors.
As per the Twelfth Amendment, only the top three candidates in the electoral vote were candidates in the House: Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams, and William Harris Crawford. Left out was Henry Clay, who happened to be Speaker of the House. Clay detested Jackson and had said of him, "I cannot believe that killing 2,500 Englishmen at New Orleans qualifies for the … duties of the First Magistracy." So Clay threw his support to Adams. John Quincy Adams was elected President on February 9, 1825, on the first ballot.
Adams' victory shocked Jackson, who expected that, as the winner of a plurality of both the popular and electoral votes, he should have been elected President. When President Adams appointed Clay his Secretary of State, essentially declaring him heir to the Presidency -- Adams and his three predecessors had all served as Secretary of State -- Jackson and his followers accused Adams and Clay of striking a "corrupt bargain." The Jacksonians would campaign on this claim for the next four years, ultimately leading to Jackson's victory in the Adams-Jackson rematch in 1828.
1862. President Abraham Lincoln delivers his State of the Union address to the U.S. Congress and speaks some of his most memorable words as he discusses the Northern war effort.
Lincoln used the address to present a moderate message concerning his policy towards slavery. Just ten weeks before, he had issued his Emancipation Proclamation, which declared that slaves in territories still in rebellion as of January 1, 1863, would be free. The measure was not welcomed by everyone in the North -- it met with considerable resistance from conservative Democrats who did not want to fight a war to free slaves.
The November elections were widely interpreted as a condemnation of the emancipation plan. The Democrats won the New York governorship and 34 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives, though the Republicans gained five Senate seats and maintained control of most state legislatures. Lincoln used the State of the Union address to present a more moderate position on emancipation. He mentioned gradual, compensated emancipation of slaves, which many moderates and conservatives desired, but he also declared that the slaves liberated thus far by Union armies would remain forever free.

1884. The Frisco Shootout takes place in the town of Frisco (now Reserve), New Mexico. Deputy Sheriff Elfego Baca arrested a carousing cowboy who had actually shot at him. The man's companions demanded his release, but Baca refused. Following threats from the cowboys, Baca took refuge in the house of Geronimo Armijo. A standoff with the cowboys ensued and some 80 cowboys gathered to attack the house. The cowboys fired more than 4,000 shots into the house, until the adobe building looked like Swiss cheese. Incredibly, not one of the bullets struck Baca. (The floor of the home was slightly lower than ground level; thus Baca was able to escape injury.) During the siege, Baca shot and killed four of his attackers and wounded eight others. After about 36 hours, the battle ended when the cowboys ran out of ammunition. When they had left, Baca walked out of the house unharmed.
In May 1885, Baca was charged with murder for the death of the one of the cowboys killed in the attack on the cabin. He was jailed to await his trial. In August 1885, Baca was acquitted after the door of Armijo's house was entered as evidence. It had more than 400 bullet holes in it.

1885. Although the exact date is unknown, the U.S. Patent Office acknowledges December 1st, 1885 as the first day Dr. Pepper was served.

1913. The Ford Motor Company introduces the first moving assembly line. On the same day, the first drive-in automobile station opens in Pittsburgh.
1913. The Buenos Aires Subway starts operating in Argentina, it is the first underground railway system in the southern hemisphere and in Latin America.
1918. Iceland becomes a self-governing kingdom, yet remains united with Denmark. Transylvania unites with Romania, and the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes (later known as the Kingdom of Yugoslavia) is proclaimed. The last is an uneasy marriage of historically antagonistic ethnic groups, artificially created by the victors of World War I. It did not withstand the test of time.

1925. The final Locarno Treaty is signed in London, establishing past-World War I territorial boundaries. The Locarno Treaties were regarded as the keystone of the improved western European diplomatic climate of the period 1924-1930, though tension persisted in eastern Europe. The "spirit of Locarno" was seen in Germany's September 1926 admission to the League of Nations, the international organization established under the Versailles treaty to promote world peace and co-operation, and in the subsequent withdrawal (completed in June 1930) of Allied troops from Germany's western Rhineland.

1934. In the Soviet Union, Politburo member Sergei Kirov is shot dead at the Communist Party headquarters in Leningrad by Leonid Nikolayev.
Kirov was close friends with Sergo Ordzhonikidze, and together they formed a moderate bloc to Stalin in the Politburo. Later in 1934, Stalin asked Kirov to work for him in Moscow. One theory suggests that he did this in order to keep a closer eye on him, this despite of the supposed fact that Stalin entirely controlled the NKVD. Kirov refused, however, and according to the same theory he became a competitor in Stalin's eyes.
On December 1, 1934, Kirov was killed by Leonid Nikolaev in Leningrad. Stalin claimed that Nikolayev was part of a larger conspiracy led by Leon Trotsky against the Soviet government. This resulted in the arrest and execution of Lev Kamenev, Grigory Zinoviev, and fourteen others in 1936. The death of Kirov ignited the great purge where supporters of Trotsky and other suspected enemies of the state were arrested. It has been speculated that Stalin was the man who ordered the murder of Kirov, but this has never been proven.
1941. During World War II, Mayor of New York City, Fiorello LaGuardia, and the director of the Office of Civilian Defense sign an order creating the Civil Air Patrol. The United States was not yet in the war but Pearl Harbor was just days away.
1944. Edward R. Stettinius Jr. becomes Franklin Roosevelt's last secretary of state by filling the Cabinet spot left empty by the retirement of Cordell Hull. In November 1944, having enjoyed the longest tenure of any secretary of state, and in ailing health, Hull retired to devote his time to the creation of an international peace organization, which would become the United Nations.
Stettinius' tenure in that Cabinet post was unremarkable, consisting mostly of implementing a foreign policy to which he contributed little in the way of original ideas. Shortly after FDR's death, Harry S. Truman replaced Stettinius with James F. Byrnes, leaving Stettinius to become chairman of the first U.S. delegation to the United Nations. It was Cordell Hull, however, who would win the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in the creation of the United Nations.
1955. In Montgomery, Alabama, seamstress Rosa Parks refuses to give her bus seat to a white man and is arrested for violating the city's racial segregation laws, an incident which leads to the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the birth of the Civil Rights Movement.
1958. A fire a the Our Lady of Angels School in Chicago kills 90 students.
1960. American supermodel Carol Alt (see pictures) is born in East Williston, Long Island, New York.
Carol_Alt_11xl_123_513lo.jpgCarol_Alt_19xl_123_738lo.jpgCarol_Alt_21xl_123_414lo.jpgcarol_alt-fullsize5_123_78lo.jpg
Alt's first big break in modeling in 1980, when she was featured on the cover of Harper's Bazaar magazine, but she gained real fame in 1982 when she was featured on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. She has also been a consultant with the "Le Mirador" skin-care line. Alt was one of the first models to parlay fame in that area into success in other fields, such as acting, launching product lines, and book writing.
1963. The Beatles' first single, I Want to Hold Your Hand, is released in the United States. Thus began the "English Invasion" that changed music in America for the rest of the decade.
1969. The first draft lottery since World War II is held in the United States.

1971. Khmer Rouge rebels intensify assaults on Cambodian government positions, forcing their retreat from Kompong Thmar and nearby Ba Ray.

1974. A Boeing 727 carrying TWA Flight 514 crashes northwest of Dulles International Airport, killing all 92 people on-board.

1981. A Yugoslavian Inex Adria Aviopromet DC-9 crashes in Corsica, killing 178.
1982. At the University of Utah, retired dentist Dr. Barney Clark Barney becomes the first person to receive a permanent artificial heart. 61-year-old Clark survived for 112 days after it was implanted.
1989. East Germany's parliament abolishes the constitutional provision granting the Communist party the leading role in the state.
1991. Ukrainian voters overwhelmingly approve a referendum for independence from the Soviet Union.

1992. "Long Island Lolita" Amy Fisher is sentenced to prison for shooting and seriously wounding Mary Jo Buttafuoco, the wife of her lover, Joey Buttafuoco.
Fisher served seven years and has since carved out a career as a stripper. (See picture.)
amy-fisher.jpg

2000. Vicente Fox is sworn in as President of Mexico, ending the 75 year control of the ruling PRI.
2004. Tom Brokaw anchors his last broadcast of NBC Nightly News.
2010. Two walls collapse at the ancient Roman city of Pompeii during heavy rains, the third such incident in a month.
2011. A mass shooting occurs in east Texas, United States. Four children are killed, all less than 5 years old. Meanwhile, one person dies and 16 others are injured in three separate chain-reaction crashes involving 176 cars in Nashville, Tennessee, United States.

Attachments

• gn1 ryonen.jpg
    gn1 ryonen.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 27
  • gn2 jenni.jpg
    gn2 jenni.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 27
  • gn3.jpg
    gn3.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 29
  • gn4 cookie.jpg
    gn4 cookie.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 30
  • gn4 bianca bauchamp.jpg
    gn4 bianca bauchamp.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 28
A pair of executions figure prominently in December 2's milestones. One of them involved a genuine historical figure; the other was a nobody whose unlucky number came up. This is also the anniversary of two presidential speeches that helped set the course of American history.

1409. The University of Leipzig opens in Germany. Since its inception the university has enjoyed almost 600 years of uninterrupted teaching and research. Between 1953 and 1991, the university was called Karl-Marx-University.
1775.1Grand-Union-Flag.jpg
The USS Alfred becomes the first vessel to fly the Grand Union Flag (the precursor to the Stars and Stripes); the flag is hoisted by John Paul Jones. (See picture.)
1777. In the American Revolution, Philadelphia housewife and nurse Lydia Darragh single-handedly saves the lives of General George Washington and his Continental Army when she overhears the British planning a surprise attack on Washington's army for the following day.
During the occupation of Philadelphia, British General William Howe stationed his headquarters across the street from the Darragh home, and when Howe's headquarters proved too small to hold meetings, he commandeered a large upstairs room in the Darraghs' house. Although uncorroborated, family legend holds that Mrs. Darragh would eavesdrop and take notes on the British meetings from an adjoining room and would conceal the notes by sewing them into her coat before passing them onto American troops stationed outside the city.
On the evening of December 2, 1777, Darragh overheard the British commanders planning a surprise attack on Washington's army at Whitemarsh, Pennsylvania, for December 4 and 5. Using a cover story that she needed to buy flour from a nearby mill just outside the British line, Darragh passed the information to American Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Craig the following day.
The British marched towards Whitemarsh on the evening of December 4, 1777, and were surprised to find General Washington and the Continental Army waiting for them. After three inconclusive days of skirmishing, General Howe chose to return his troops to Philadelphia.
1804. At Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, Napoleon Bonaparte crowns himself Emperor of France, the first French Emperor in a thousand years. Claims that he seized the crown out of the hands of Pope Pius VII during the ceremony in order to avoid subjecting himself to the authority of the pontiff are apocryphal; in fact, the coronation procedure had been agreed upon in advance. After the Imperial regalia had been blessed by the Pope, Napoleon crowned himself before crowning his wife Joséphine as Empress (the moment depicted in David's famous painting (see picture).
2Napoleon Jacques-Louis_David_019.jpg
1823. U.S. President James Monroe delivers a speech establishing American neutrality in future European conflicts. The outgrowth of the speech was the Monroe Doctrine, prohibiting European intervention in the Americas.
The end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 marked the breakup of the Spanish Empire in the New World. Between 1815 and 1822 José de San Martín led Argentina, Chile and Peru to independence, while Simón Bolívar in Gran Colombia guided his country out of colonialism. The new republics sought -- and expected -- recognition by the United States, and many in the United States endorsed that idea.
But President James Monroe and his Secretary of State, John Quincy Adams, were not willing to risk war for nations they did not know would continue to survive. Some say that from their perspective, as long as the other European powers did not intervene, the government of the United States would just let Spain and her rebellious colonies fight it out. Others contend that by acknowledging the wars and declaring neutrality, they were recognizing the legitimacy of the new nations. This assertion is backed up by U.S. sales of naval vessels to the rebel armies. The United States was also negotiating with Spain to purchase Florida, and once that treaty was ratified, the Monroe administration began to extend recognition to the new Latin American republics -- Argentina, Chile, Colombia and Mexico were all recognized in 1822.
Although it would take decades to coalesce into a notably identifiable policy, John Quincy Adams did raise a standard of an independent U.S. foreign policy so strongly that future administrations could not ignore it. One should note, however, that the policy succeeded because it met British interests as well as those of the United States and, for the next 50 years, was secured by the backing of the Royal Navy.

1845. U.S. President James K. Polk announces to Congress that the United States should aggressively expand into the West, asserting that it was the country's "Manifest Destiny." Polk is one of the unsung presidents but more than any other American leader he is responsible for the modern map of the United States.
Manifest Destiny is a phrase that expressed the belief that the United States had a mission to expand, spreading its form of democracy and freedom. Advocates of Manifest Destiny believed that expansion was not only good, but that it was obvious ("manifest") and certain ("destiny"). Originally a political catch phrase of the 19th century, "Manifest Destiny" eventually became a standard historical term, often used as a synonym for the territorial expansion of the United States across North America towards the Pacific Ocean.
The term fell out of usage by U.S. policy makers early in the 20th century, but some commentators believe that aspects of Manifest Destiny, particularly the belief in an American "mission" to promote and defend democracy throughout the world, continues to have an influence on American political ideology. Arguably, this ideology is at the heart of the Iraq morass and, before that, the Vietnam quagmire.

3John_brown_1859.jpg 1859.Militant abolitionist leader John Brown (see picture) is hanged for his October 16th raid on Harper's Ferry, Virginia.
On the morning of his execution, Brown read his Bible and wrote a final letter to his wife, which included his will. At 11:00 he was escorted through a crowd of 2,000 soldiers. Among them were future Confederate general Thomas J. Jackson and John Wilkes Booth, who borrowed a militia uniform to gain admission to the hanging.
Brown was accompanied by the sheriff and his assistants, but no minister since he had consistently rejected the ministrations of pro-slavery clergy. Since the region was in the grips of virtual hysteria, most northerners, including journalists, were run out, and it is unlikely any anti-slavery clergyman would have been safe, even if one were to have sought to visit Brown. Likely drawing strength from correspondence from northern clergy, he elected to receive no religious services in the jail or at the scaffold. He was hanged at 11:15 a.m. and pronounced dead at 11:50 a.m., and his body was dumped into a cheap wooden coffin with the noose still around his neck -- a last gesture of Southern contempt.
On the day of his death he wrote "I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood. I had, as I now think, vainly flattered myself that without very much bloodshed it might be done."
1864. Confederate General Archibald Gracie Jr. is killed in the trenches at Petersburg, Virginia, when an artillery shell explodes near him in the American Civil War.
1867. At Tremont Temple in Boston, British author Charles Dickens gives his first public reading in the United States.

the other was a nobody whose unlucky number came up- admi

Is this covered in the above? I found the other...

Tree

1908. Child Emperor Pu Yi ascends the Chinese throne at the age of two. He was the last Emperor of China, and the twelfth and final ruler of the Qing Dynasty. He ruled as the Xuantong Emperor from 1908 until his abdication on 12 February 1912. From 1 to 12 July 1917 he was briefly restored to the throne as a nominal emperor by the warlord Zhang Xun. In 1934 he was declared the Kangde Emperor of the puppet state of Manchukuo by the Empire of Japan, and he ruled until the end of the Second Sino-Japanese War in 1945. After the People's Republic of China was established in 1949, Puyi was a member of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference from 1964 until his death in 1967. Puyi's abdication in 1912 marked the end of centuries of dynastic rule in China, and he is also widely known as The Last Emperor.
1917. An armistice is signed between Russia and the Central Powers at Brest-Litovsk and peace talks leading to the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk begin. The Treaty of Brest-Litovsk was a peace treaty signed on March 3, 1918, at Brest-Litovsk (now Brest, Belarus) between Russia (the Russian Soviet Federated Socialist Republic) and the Central Powers, headed by Germany, marking Russia's exit from World War I.
While the treaty was practically obsolete before the end of the year, it served its purpose of providing breathing space for Lenin's Bolsheviks, who were tied up in fighting the Russian Civil War. It also affirmed the independence of Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Belarus, Ukraine, and Lithuania. In Poland, which was not mentioned in the treaty, its signing caused riots, protests and an end to any support for the Central Powers.
1927. Following 19 years of Ford Model T production, the Ford Motor Company unveils the Ford Model A as its new automobile.
1930. During the Great Depression: U.S. President Herbert Hoover goes before the United States Congress and asks for a $150 million public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy.

1939. New York City's La Guardia Airport opens.

1942. In the top secret Manhattan Project of World War II, a team led by Enrico Fermi initiate the first self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction. This was the first step in developing the atomic bomb.

1947. Riots break out in Jerusalem in response to the approval of the 1947 UN Partition Plan. The Arab Higher Committee declared a three-day strike and public protest to begin on December 2. Arabs marching to Zion Square on December 2 were stopped by the British, and the Arabs instead turned towards the commercial center of the City, burning many buildings and shops. Violence continued for two more days, with Arab mobs attacking a number of Jewish neighborhoods.

1954. The United States Senate votes 65 to 22 to condemn Joseph McCarthy for "conduct that tends to bring the Senate into dishonor and disrepute." McCarthy had spearheaded an investigation -- some would call it a witch hunt -- into Communist infiltration of the government during the postwar Red Scare in the United States.
1959. The Malpasset Dam in France collapses and the resulting flood kills more than 400 people. The city of Frejus, dating back to Caesar's time, was devastated by the massive flood.
1961. In a nationally-broadcast speech, Cuban leader Fidel Castro declares that he is a Marxist-Leninist and that Cuba is going to adopt Communism.

1968. American actress Lucy Liu (see pictures) is born in New York City to Chinese immigrant parents.
lucy liu 08056_32_123_808lo.jpglucy liu 08138_36_123_1078lo.jpglucy liu 08458_wet_123_886lo.jpglucy liu new 06469_2_123_355lo.jpg
Her father worked as a civil engineer and her mother as a biochemist in China, but they sacrificed to come to the United States. At one time her father peddled watches in Atlantic City while Lucy worked in a pajama factory at age eleven. In an interview with the London Daily Telegraph she said: "It was totally illegal. I actually blocked it out until a few years ago when I said, Oh my God, I was a child sweatshop worker. I didn't want to do it, but what choice did I have." Her family subsisted on boiled rice and cucumber in their cockroach-infested Queens apartment. Liu, at her parents' insistence, devoted her spare time to studying, and she attended New York City's famous Stuyvesant High School. Then she attended New York University for one year, transferred to University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and graduated with a degree in Chinese Language and Culture.
Liu had small roles in films and TV before landing a break on Ally McBeal. Liu's role on the series was originally not meant to be regular but the enthusiastic audience response to the actress' feisty Ling Woo secured Liu as a permanent cast member. It also earned her an Emmy nomination. She became famous with her turn as Alex in the Charlie's Angels movie, starring with established Hollywood stars Drew Barrymore and Cameron Diaz. Charlie's Angels became a hit, earning more than $125 million in the U.S., and a worldwide total of more than $258 million. The sequel, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, opened to poor reviews but was a box-office hit again, earning more than $252 million.

1970. The United States Environmental Protection Agency begins operations. In July of 1970, the law that established the EPA was passed in response to the growing public demand for cleaner water, air and land, spurred by such scandals as the 1969 Cuyahoga River fire. Prior to the establishment of the EPA, the federal government was not structured to make a coordinated attack on the pollutants which harm human health and degrade the environment. The EPA was assigned the task of repairing the damage already done to the natural environment and to establish new criteria to guide Americans in making a cleaner environment a reality.
1975. The Pathet Lao seizes power in Laos, and establishes the Lao People's Democratic Republic.
1980. Four U.S. nuns and churchwomen, Ita Ford, Maura Clarke, Jean Donovan, and Dorothy Kazel, are raped and murdered by a death squad in El Salvador.
britney spears.jpgbritney spears20030902012102.jpgbritneyspears20030914211915.jpg
1981. Pop tart Britney Spears is born. Spears (see pictures) first rose to fame as a member of the Mickey Mouse Club in the early 1990s, after which she took a five-year break from entertainment. She subsequently emerged at the forefront of the pop music scene in late 1998, thanks to her chart-topping debut album, ...Baby One More Time, which was crafted by producer-songwriter Max Martin. Her second album, Oops!...I Did It Again, which was released the following year, was a similarly huge hit. In 2004, she married dancer and aspiring rap artist Kevin Federline and the following year she gave birth to their son, Sean Preston. Their second son, Jayden James, was born in 2006. Eight weeks after the birth of her second child, Spears filed for divorce from Federline, citing irreconcilable differences.

1990. A coalition led by Chancellor Helmut Kohl wins the first free all-German elections since 1932.

1993. Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar is shot and killed in Medellín. At the height of his empire, Escobar was estimated by Forbesmagazine to be the seventh-richest man in the world, with his Medellín Cartel controlling 80 percent of the world's cocaine market. His organization had fleets of planes, boats, expensive vehicles and a private army. Vast properties and tracts of lands were also controlled by the cartel under Escobar due to the almost limitless influx of cash during this period. Estimates are that the Medellín cartel was taking in up to $30 billion annually at its zenith.
Escobar was killed as he tried to elude a police manhunt.. Using radio triangulation, a Colombian electronic surveillance team found him hiding in a middle-class barrio in Medellín. A shootout between Escobar and police ensued. Cornered on the rooftops of Medellín, he suffered gunshots to the leg, back, and a fatal one behind his ear, execution-style.
1999. A power-sharing cabinet of Protestants and Catholics sit down together for the first time in Northern Ireland.

2001. Enron files for Chapter 11 protection in one of the largest corporate bankruptcies in U.S. history.

2005. Kenneth Boyd becomes the 1,000th person to be executed in the United States since capital punishment was reinstated in 1976.
Kenneth Lee Boyd was convicted of the March 4, 1988 murder in Stoneville of his wife, Julie Curry Boyd and her father Thomas Dillard Curry. He was pronounced dead at 2:15 a.m. EST on December 2, 2005 at the North Carolina Central Prison in Raleigh by lethal injection.
Capital punishment in the United States is officially sanctioned by 38 of the 50 states, as well as by the federal government and the military. The overwhelming majority of executions are performed by the states; the federal government maintains the right to use capital punishment (also known as the death penalty) but does so infrequently. Each state practicing capital punishment has different laws regarding its methods, age limits, and crimes which qualify. The state of Texas has performed more executions than any other state.
Since 1976, 1,029 people have been executed, almost exclusively by the states. Texas has accounted for over a third of modern executions; the federal government has executed only three people in the last 27 years. California has the greatest number of prisoners on death row, but has held relatively few executions.
Various methods have been used in the history of the American colonies and the United States but only five methods are currently used. Historically, burning, pressing, gibbeting or hanging in chains, breaking on wheel and bludgeoning were used for a small number of executions, while hanging was the most common method. The last person burned to death was a black slave in South Carolina in August 1825. The last person to be hung in chains was a murderer named John Marshall in West Virginia on April 4, 1913.
Currently lethal injection is the prescribed method in 37 of the 38 states which allow the death penalty and by the federal government. Nebraska requires electrocution. Other states also allow electrocution, gas chambers, hanging and the firing squad. From 1976 to June 30, 2006, out of 1,029 executions: 861 have been by lethal injection, 152 by electrocution, 11 by gas chamber, 3 by hanging, and 2 by firing squad.
The use of lethal injection has become standard. The last execution by any other method was the use of the electric chair on July 20, 2006 when Brandon Hedrick was executed in Virginia. The last use of the gas chamber occurred on March 3, 1999 when Walter LaGrand was executed in Arizona, the last use of hanging was on 25 January 1996 when Delaware hanged Billy Bailey and the firing squad was also last used in 1996 when John Albert Taylor was shot in Utah on January 26. Utah permits condemned prisoners to choose between hanging and the firing squad; nobody has ever chosen hanging.
The electric chair was the major method of execution during most of the 20th century. The chairs developed special nicknames: Old Sparky, the Hot Seat, and Yellow Mama in Alabama due to its unique color. Some, particularly in Florida, were noted for malfunctions, which raised Constitutional issues because of the prohibition against "cruel and unusual punishment." This resulted in a shift to lethal injection as the major method of execution. Although lethal injection dominates, some states allow an alternate method and a few states allow at least some death-row inmates to choose the method by which they will be executed.
Regardless of the method, an hour or two before the execution, the condemned person is offered a last meal and religious services. Executions are carried out in private with only invited persons able to view the proceedings. The last public execution was the hanging of Rainey Bethea on August 14, 1936 in Owensboro, Kentucky. The designated hangman showed up drunk and failed to spring the trap on cue. The trap door was accidentally sprung by a deputy when he leaned over to prod the hangman. Thereafter, the Kentucky legislature voted to perform executions in private.
2011. Muslim rioters attack liquor stores and massage parlors in Zakho in the Kurdistan region of northern Iraq after Friday prayers. The attacks later extended to include Christian owned shops and businesses in other cities including Dohuk and Simele.

In the U.S., the Agriculture Committee of the U.S. House of Representatives votes to issue a subpoena to Jon Corzine, former Governor of New Jersey, in connection with the collapse of MF Global and the disappearance of customer funds.
some nudes

Attachments

• gn1 Zyta.jpg
    gn1 Zyta.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 33
  • gn2.jpg
    gn2.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 32
  • gn3.jpg
    gn3.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 32
  • gn4 vera.jpg
    gn4 vera.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 33
and it is corrected thx tree;)

The USS Alfred becomes the first vessel to fly the Grand Union Flag (the precursor to the Stars and Stripes); the flag is hoisted by John Paul Jones.​
John Paul Jones was born in my part of Scotland,​
at Arbigland, Kirkbean:​
Arbigland.gif

December 3 is the birthday of a trio of famous women who have not been shy about disrobing for the camera (lucky us). This is also the anniversary of the end of the Cold War (sort of), and a milestone in the campus unrest that made the Sixties so entertaining.
311. Roman Emperor Diocletian dies. With his accession to power, Diocletian ended the Crisis of the Third Century. He appointed fellow officer Maximian Augustus his senior co-emperor in 285. He delegated further on 1 March 293, appointing Galerius and Constantius as Caesars, junior co-emperors. Under this "Tetrarchy", or "rule of four", each emperor would rule over a quarter-division of the Empire. Diocletian secured the Empire's borders and purged it of all threats to his power.
Diocletian's reforms fundamentally changed the structure of Roman imperial government and helped stabilize the Empire economically and militarily, enabling the Empire to remain essentially intact for another hundred years despite having seemed near the brink of collapse in Diocletian's youth. Weakened by illness, Diocletian left the imperial office on May 1, 305, and became the only Roman emperor to voluntarily abdicate the position. He lived out his retirement in his palace on the Dalmatian coast, tending to his vegetable gardens. His palace eventually became the core of the modern-day city of Split, Croatia.
915. Pope John X crowns Berengar I of Italy as Roman Emperor. Berengar rose to become one of the most influential laymen in the empire of Charles the Fat before he was elected to replace Charles in Italy after the latter's deposition. His long reign of 36 years saw him opposed by no less than seven other claimants to the Italian throne. Though he is sometimes seen as a "national" king in Italian histories, he was in fact of Frankish birth. His reign is usually characterized as "troubled" because of the many competitors for the crown and because of the arrival of Magyar raiders in Western Europe. He was the last emperor before Otto the Great was crowned in 962, after a 38-year interregnum.
1154. Pope Anastasius IV dies. At the time of his election to the papacy in July 1153 he was dean of the College of Cardinals and probably the oldest member of that body. During his short pontificate he played the part of a peacemaker and closed a long quarrel, which had raged through four pontificates.
1552. Jesuit missionary Saint Francis Xavier dies. Co-founder of the Society of Jesus, he was a student of Ignatius of Loyola and one of the first seven Jesuits. He led an extensive mission into Asia, mainly in the Portuguese Empire of the time. He was influential in the spreading and upkeep of Catholicism most notably in India, but also ventured into Japan, Borneo, the Moluccas, and other areas which had thus far not been visited by Christian missionaries. It was a goal of Xavier to one day reach China. He died at Shangchuan from a fever on 3 December 1552, while he was waiting for a boat that would agree to take him to mainland China.
1776. General George Washington writes to Congress from his headquarters in Trenton, New Jersey, to report that he had transported much of the Continental Army's stores and baggage across the Delaware River to Pennsylvania. Washington then made the critical strategic move of confiscating and burning all the boats along the Delaware to prevent British troops from pursuing his beleaguered forces across the river.
1799. In War of the Second Coalition, Austrian Lieutenant Field Marshal Sztáray de Nagy-Mihaly defeats the French at the Battle of Wiesloch.
1800. At the Battle of Hohenlinden, French General Moreau decisively defeats the Austrian Archduke John near Munich; coupled with First Consul Napoleon Bonaparte's victory at Marengo, it effectively forced the Austrians to sign an armistice ending the War of the Second Coalition.
1805. The Lewis and Clark Expedition leaves graffiti carved on a pine tree to mark its odyssey from the Missouri River overland to the Columbia River. Spotting Mt. Hood, a mountain known to be very close to the Pacific Ocean, Clark carved the words, "William Clark December 3rd 1805. By land from the U.States in 1804 & 1805."
In 1803, the Louisiana Purchase sparked interest in expansion to the west coast. A few weeks after the purchase, President Thomas Jefferson, an advocate of western expansion, had the Congress appropriate $2,500, "to send intelligent officers with ten or twelve men, to explore even to the Western ocean." They were to study the Indian tribes, botany, geology, Western terrain and wildlife in the region, as well as evaluate the potential interference of British and French Canadian hunters and trappers who were already well established in the area.
The Lewis and Clark Expedition (1804–1806) was the first United States overland expedition to the Pacific coast and back, led by Captain Meriwether Lewis and Second Lieutenant William Clark of the United States Army. It is also known as the Corps of Discovery. The trek became an epic chapter in American history and paved the way for westward expansion.

1818. Illinois becomes the 21st state of the United States of America.

1828. In the U.S. Presidential election, challenger Andrew Jackson defeats incumbent John Quincy Adams and is elected President of the United States. This was a rematch of the election four years before, which had been decided by the House of Representatives when no candidate had won a majority of electoral votes; the House declared Adams the winner in what Jackson described as a "corrupt bargain." Unlike most ex-presidents, Adams did not retire to private life but later won election to Congress as a member of the House, which he later described as the most fulfilling years of his life. Adams, by the way, was the first son of a president to reach the White House (George W. Bush is the second).
1839. Future President Abraham Lincoln advances to another stage in his legal career when he is admitted to practice law in the U.S. Circuit Court. It was during his years practicing law that Lincoln honed his now famous oratorical skills. Lincoln made the first step toward becoming a lawyer in 1836 when the state of Illinois certified him as being "a person of good moral character." (He did not attend law school but studied on his own while working as a clerk in a law office.) In 1838, he delivered closing arguments in the Jacob Early murder case, persuading the jury that his client, the defendant, had acted in self defense. In 1840, Lincoln was re-elected to the Illinois State Assembly -- his third term since 1834 -- and by 1846 earned a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. After losing his House seat in the election of 1848, Lincoln returned to practicing law in the state of Illinois, where he helped to establish the new Republican Party. In 1860, Lincoln was elected to the presidency as the first Republican to hold that office,.

1854. In what is seen by many to be the birth of Australian democracy, more than 20 gold miners at Ballarat, Victoria, Australia are killed by state troopers in an uprising over mining licenses.
1901. U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt delivers a 20,000-word speech to the House of Representatives asking the Congress to curb the power of trusts "within reasonable limits".
1904. Jupiter's moon Himalia is discovered by Charles Dillon Perrine at California's Lick Observatory. It is one of many,
1910. Modern neon lighting is first demonstrated by Georges Claude at the Paris Motor Show.
1912. The First Balkan War ends after two months when members of the Balkan League -- Bulgaria, Greece, Montenegro, and Serbia -- sign an armistice with Turkey.

1929. In what is arguably history's most glaring example of whistling past the grave yard, President Herbert Hoover announces to the U.S. Congress that the worst effects of the recent stock market crash are behind the nation and the American people have regained faith in the economy. The Grear Depression had only just begun.

1937. The Dandy, the UK's longest-running comic, is first published. The Dandy is a British children's comic published by D. C. Thomson & Co. Ltd of Dundee, Scotland. It became the longest-running comic as of issue 3007 (dated 10 July 1999).

1944. The Greek Civil War breaks out in a newly-liberated Greece, between communists and royalists.

1947. Tennessee Williams' play A Streetcar Named Desire opens on Broadway. The play is considered in modern society as an icon of its era, as it deals with a culture clash between two symbolic characters, Blanche DuBois -- a pretentious, fading relic of the Old South -- and Stanley Kowalski, a rising member of the industrial, inner-city immigrant class.

julianne_moore.jpgjulianne_moore2.jpg

1960. Actress Julianne Moore (see pictures) is born as Julianne Smith. Moore moved to New York City in 1983, working as a waitress before being cast in the dual roles of Frannie and Sabrina Hughes on the soap opera As the World Turns, for which she won a Daytime Emmy Award; she played the roles from 1985 to 1988.
Moore began starring in feature films in the early 1990s, mostly appearing in supporting roles in films like The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, Benny and Joon with Johnny Depp, and The Fugitive. Her part in 1993's Short Cuts gained her critical acclaim and recognition, and she was cast in several high-profile Hollywood films, including 1995's romantic comedy Nine Months, and 1997's summer blockbuster The Lost World: Jurassic Park.
During the late 1990s and early 2000s, Moore appeared in a series of films that received Oscar recognition, including her roles in Boogie Nights ("Best Supporting Actress" nomination), The End of the Affair ("Best Actress" nomination) and her two 2002 films, Far From Heaven("Best Actress" nomination) and The Hours ("Best Supporting Actress" nomination). During this period, she also appeared in the commercial successes Hannibal (controversially replacing Jodie Foster as Clarice Starling).

Daryl_Hannah_123_253lo.jpgDaryl_Hannah_123_1091lo.jpgdaryl_hannah_kinky.jpgdaryl_hannah_n01_123_222lo.jpgdaryl_hannah13_123_18lo.jpg
1962. Actress Daryl Hannah (see pictures) is born in Chicago, Illinois. After making her screen debut in 1978, Hannah starred in a number of Hollywood films throughout the 1980s. She has recently had several notable roles, including that of Elle Driver in Kill Bill, after a hiatus from major roles during the 1990s.

Hannah became interested in movies at a young age, due to insomnia. She was very shy and was diagnosed as "borderline autistic." Hannah attended the private Francis W. Parker School (where she played on the boys' soccer team) and the University of Southern California.

Hannah made her film debut in 1978, making a brief appearance in Brian De Palma's horror film The Fury. She subsequently appeared in several early 1980s films, the most notable role of which is probably as the replicant, Pris, in Ridley Scott's 1982 film, Blade Runner. Hannah was cast as a mermaid in Ron Howard's 1984 fantasy, Splash, which was a major financial success, grossing over $62 millionand establishing Hannah as a notable film actress.

Hannah's roles in the remainder of the 1980s ranged from successful major roles in Steel Magnolias and the Academy Award-winning Wall Street, to the 1986 film version of The Clan of the Cave Bear, a flop with critics and public alike. Hannah also played the title role in the 1987 film Roxanne, a modern retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac, a performance which was described as "sweet" and "gentle" by film critic Roger Ebert.

1964. Police arrest over 800 students at the University of California, Berkeley, following their takeover and sit-in at the administration building in protest at the UC Regents' decision to forbid prolitical activity on UC property. The takeover was part of the Free Speech Movement.

The Free Speech Movement was a student protest which began in 1964 - 1965 on the campus of the University of California, Berkeley under the informal leadership of student Mario Savio and others. In protests unprecedented at the time, students insisted that the university administration lift a ban on on-campus political activities and acknowledge the students' right to free speech and academic freedom.

The Free Speech Movement had long-lasting effects at the Berkeley campus and was a pivotal moment for the civil liberties movement in The Sixties. It was seen as the beginning of the famous student activism that existed on the campus in the 1960's, and continues to a lesser degree today.
Katarina Witt002.jpgKatarina Witt004.jpgkatarina witt06_123_951lo.jpgKatarina Witt18 x.JPG
1965. German figure skater Katarina Witt is born She won two Olympic gold medals for East Germany, first in the 1984 Sarajevo Olympics and the second in 1988 at the Calgary Olympics. She won the World Championships in 1984, 1985, 1987, and 1988, and six consecutive European Championships (1983-1988). Her competitive record makes her one of the most successful figure skaters of all time.

In 1988, Witt started a professional career, which was very unusual for East German athletes. At first she spent three years on tour in the United States with Brian Boitano, also a gold medalist in figure skating. Their show "Witt and Boitano Skating" was so successful that for the first time in ten years, New York's Madison Square Garden was sold out for an ice show. Later she continued at Holiday on Ice in the United States and in Western Europe. She also became an actress in the film Carmen on Ice (1989), which expanded upon her gold medal freestyle routine at Calgary. In 1990, she received an Emmy Award for her role in this film.

In 1998, Witt posed nude for Playboy Magazine (see photos). The issue in which these photos were published was the second sold-out issue of this magazine. (The first sold-out issue was the inaugural one including photos of Marilyn Monroe.)

1967. The first human heart transplant is performed at Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town, South Africa, by Dr. Christiaan Barnard and a team of surgeons. 53-year-old Louis Washkansky is the patient.

1970. In Montreal, Quebec, kidnapped British Trade Commissioner James Cross is released by the Front de Libération du Québec terrorist group after being held hostage for 60 days. Police negotiate his release and in return the Canadian government grants five terrorists from the FLQ's Chenier Cell their request for safe passage to Cuba.

1971. After Pakistan launches airstrikes on Indian airfields, India retaliates by invading East Pakistan during the Indo-Pakistani War. The war is closely associated with Bangladesh Liberation War (sometimes also referred to as Pakistani Civil War). There is an argument about exact dates of the war. However, the armed conflict on India's western front during the period between December3 and December 16, 1971 is called the Indo-Pakistani War by both the Bangladeshi and Indian armies. The war ended in a crushing defeat for Pakistan military in just two weeks.

1979. In Cincinnati, Ohio, eleven fans are killed during a stampede for seats before a Who concert at Riverfront Coliseum.

1979. The last Pacer rolls off the assembly line at the American Motors Corporation (AMC) factory in Kenosha, Wisconsin. When the car first came on the market in 1975, it was a sensation, hailed as the car of the future. "When you buy any other car," ads said, "all you end up with is today's car. When you get a Pacer, you get a piece of tomorrow." By 1979, however, sales had faded considerably. Today, polls and experts agree: the Pacer was one of the worst cars of all time.

1984. An explosion at a Union Carbide pesticide plant in Bhopal, India, leads to the worst industrial accident in history. At least 2,000 people died and another 200,000 were injured when toxic gas enveloped the city.

1989. In a meeting off the coast of Malta, U.S. President George H. W. Bush and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev release statements indicating that the cold war between their nations may be coming to an end (some commentators from both nations exaggerated the wording and independently declared the Cold War over).

1992. The Greek oil tanker Aegean Sea, carrying 80,000 tons of crude oil, runs aground in a storm while approaching La Coruña, Spain, and spills much of its cargo.

1999. Six firefighters are killed in the Worcester Cold Storage Warehouse fire in Worcester, Massachusetts. The blaze started when two homeless and mentally disabled people, who were living inside the warehouse, knocked over a candle after an argument earlier in the afternoon. Both fled without reporting the fire to emergency services. The structure was located five blocks east of the Worcester central business district, near the Union Station train station and adjacent to Interstate highway 290. The fire would eventually grow to five-alarm status and rage for six days before being brought under control. Firefighting companies from the city and from neighboring towns were called to respond. Six Worcester firefighters lost their lives in the fire.

2002. Thousands of personnel files released under a court order show that the Archdiocese of Boston went to great lengths to cover-up sexual abuse by priests. Included in the cases are clergy who reportedly snorted cocaine and had sex with girls aspiring to be nuns.

2007. Winter storms cause the Chehalis River to flood many cities in Lewis County, Washington, also closing a 20-mile portion of Interstate 5 for several days. At least eight deaths and billions of dollars in damages are blamed on the floods.

2010. Up to 28 people die in northern and eastern Europe as a result of a cold spell with thousands stranded due to road and rail disruptions and airport closures.

2011. At least 33 people die and 13 are injured in a crash between a truck and a bus near the Bahia city of Milagro in northeastern Brazil. Meanwhile, at least eight children have died in the past few weeks in Ecuador's Amazon basin after being bitten by rabid bats. Elsewhere, at least 23 people are killed in Syria.

In the United States, Herman Cain announces that he will suspend his campaign for Republican nomination in the United States presidential election following a series of sexual harassment and other misconduct allegations.
and

Attachments

• gn1.jpg
    gn1.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 34
  • gn2.jpg
    gn2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom