Nailed On Hard Wood (a Pulp Novel).

Go to CruxDreams.com

Jollyrei

Angelus Mortis
Staff member
Nailed on Hard Wood

It was a sunny day in the Mediterranean. It was always sunny and the island of Cassini was no different than a lot of the out of the way Italian islands that dot the water off the mainland. I was of two minds on the subject. I don’t object to sunshine, or warm weather, but I can’t say I was happy with the circumstances of my arrival on this little island paradise, a visit that would culminate in at least one miscarriage of justice, several deaths, and leave me out of the running for any future Olympic trials.

My name is Mick Holmes, “Mickey” as my associates call me. For the first part of my adult life, I lived in a walk-up flat in London, and fancied myself a bit of a writer. As things happen, I became engaged to a girl whose father ran a successful wine importing business and wanted to pass it on to someone. So I ended up, almost by default, in the wine trade. I learned that wine importing involves a lot of meetings, mainly with lawyers and accountants, and does not involve a lot of drinking wine. It did however introduce me to the idea that there were more exotic places where interesting things happened, beyond just the growing of grapes. It struck me that the wine I was supposed to be selling had led a more interesting life than I had.

So I elbowed the loved ones and took off for the continent without leaving a forwarding address. That was five years ago. When I got a bit short on the necessary, I wrote up an embellished version of my autobiography for a magazine, throwing in a few details that were, to be fair, exaggerated. There were fewer exotic French girls in my real life. Nevertheless, I discovered there was a market for these stories and got on what was, if not a gravy train, at least a source of ready income. My publisher ended up being a small, but competent Italian house who sold a certain type of fiction to the masses, in English, French, German, Italian, and Turkish. They were thinking of branching out into Hebrew.

I was on my way down the Via Petrarca in Naples to the publishing offices of Edizioni Suscitare. It was a name chosen by the proprietor who had seen the English word “arousing”, and thought it meant something more literary. He translated it literally into his native Italian using a dictionary, resulting in a name that more accurately described their catalogue than he might otherwise have liked. It didn’t hurt sales, and I didn’t have the heart to tell him. In England and America women in beauty salons liked reading something published with an Italian seal of approval. Is sex more appealing if you say it in Italian? I wouldn’t know. I’m English.

I walked up the 12 stairs to the double doors of the old 6 storey villa that housed Edizioni Suscitare and the office of its proprietor, Giovanni Amparo, a man of late middle-age who still fancied himself a ladies man. He had two problems translating this idea into reality; first, he favoured a large waxed moustache that looked like he had just tried to eat an aging guinea pig after coating it in brill cream, and second, he had a fatally weak bladder. I was unconcerned by these details, focused as I was on delivering the manuscript for my latest opus “Happiness is a Warm Gun”, a hard hitting exposé of the gun-toting, vigilante culture of the late 1800s in America, as told through the eyes of a naïve young saloon girl. It was destined to be a classic. So I walked up the stairs and into the building to negotiate terms.

The reception room inside the door was a testament to austerity and cost-cutting. White walls around a large open marble tiled floor that echoed like a tomb when you walked across it. I walked across it, counting out twenty sharp steps, the sounds of my shoes ricocheting off the walls. Through the windows I could see the bay down the hill, and Vesuvius across the bay. I should have felt some sort of foreshadowing. Actually, I did, but it had nothing to do with that particular volcano. Any eruptive tendencies were entirely focused on the person behind the large mahogany desk at the far end of the room.

I’d like to say she was a statuesque blonde of the Ursula Andress school, all sultry looks and a bust that would have made Michelangelo proud to have sculpted. Instead, she was a slim, almost petite brunette, with full lips and dark Italian eyes that smouldered, or would have if she ever looked up from the novel she was reading. Her name would be Maria, Gina, or something else somewhat unassuming. I saw the title – “Six Inches to Heaven” – one of my latest triumphs. That had to be a good sign, for my bank account, if not other things.

The intercom on her phone went off and she looked down at it with some annoyance, finally selecting, apparently at random, a button on the console. It must have been the right one. The voice of her boss and my patron, Signor Amparo, came through, sounding strained.

“Giovanna,” Amparo said in a strained tone.

“Si, Signor Amparo.” Her voice was soft and husky. I wanted to hear it again, if only to confirm that such a sound had actually been made by the small woman at the desk.

“Um,” said the console, still using Amparo’s strained voice, “when Signior Holmes arrives, please entertain him for a few minutes. I will be…indisposed.”

“Si, Signor Amparo,” said Giovanna. She looked up at me, quizzically. I noted that she had a slim neck, and a plunging neckline. I held up my manuscript and smiled.

Giovanna was a professional woman, well trained in making clients comfortable in the inevitable event that Amparo had to keep them waiting. He would be taking care of the requirements of nature for several minutes. I resigned myself to the wait.

A few minutes later, I was trying to work out the style of hooks used in the fastening of Giovanna’s bra. She was warm and soft and took her duties to entertain me seriously.

The intercom went off again, just as I worked out the Rubik’s puzzle between her shoulder blades.
“Giovanna,” said the intercom. “Giovanna?”

“Mickey,” said Giovanna, rubbing her thigh up the outside of my leg. I sat down on the intercom, apparently hitting the correct button, because it went dead.

I manoeuvred Giovanna subtly and seductively into the large, bright, tiled washroom behind her desk. “Quick, in here,” she gasped and dragged me through the door. There was a brief but intense interlude in which I became more acquainted with the various load bearing capacities of Italian porcelain, as well as the capacities of Giovanna, while we waited for Signor Amparo to arrive.

“Giovanna?” said Amparo’s voice through the door. He had come into the reception area from the staircase door. The name seemed to be the only word he remembered. “Giovanna!?”, he inquired more forcefully. His footsteps echoed around in stereo effect. I could hear them distinctly through the bathroom door, even above the sounds Giovanna was trying not to make.

“Oh no!” said Amparo in anguish, from outside the door.

“Oh, si!” groaned Giovanna.

“Madre di Dio,” moaned Amparo, “not again.”

“Again,” gasped Giovanna, “oh, again!”

The footsteps echoed closer and the door handle moved. I expressed gratitude for Giovanna’s foresight in locking the door. “Oh God!” I gasped.

“Oh God,” said Amparo’s voice, almost in despair. “Please open.” I could only imagine his urgency. I was feeling a compelling urgency myself.

“Please, please, please!” chanted Giovanna.

“Oh God,” prayed Amparo desperately outside the door, “take pity on me. If you will open the door, send me a sign.”

“Yes, yes, YES!” cried Giovanna.

“Grazie!” said Amparo in relief.

There was a pause, while Giovanna and I recomposed ourselves, and Amparo gave appropriate thanks to God for his mercy. I turned the key and opened the door.

“Ask, and it shall be opened unto you,” I said. Amparo looked surprised. I don’t think he thought anyone but Italian Catholics knew the Bible. He turned to look at the door to the washroom as the toilet flushed. A moment later, a demure Giovanna appeared and sat down primly at her desk.

“Mr. Holmes is here now, Signor Amparo,” she said quietly.

“Later, Giovanna,” said Amparo, darting into the washroom.

A few minutes later, Amparo took my manuscript and briefly praised my work ethic. Such was his condition that the meeting was short and concluded on favourable contract terms. These had been arranged in advance by my agent, working with one of Amparo’s staff who did not have his extraordinary afflictions. I knew my books sold. My agent told me so, and I had the income tax bills to corroborate his story. It was all going too well.

As I was stepping out of Amparo’s office, he said, “Mr. Holmes, I have just a favour to ask.”

“A favour,” I said. “What sort of favour?” I hoped he wasn’t going to ask me to make Giovanna an honest woman. I thought she had been completely honest with me already.

“We send your manuscripts to be typeset and printed, how do you say, off site,” he said. He pronounced it “ouf sahyit”. “The manager of the printing firm has expressed an interest in meeting you. He has read several of your manuscripts now, and they have had, er, an impression. Our contract (accent on the second syllable) is important to Suscitare,” he said.

I knew I always got aroused by contracts, especially if it meant me getting paid. I agreed to meet the printer, a Mr. Alberto Ficenza. I was always happy to meet a fan. I think that was my first mistake.

Outside the publisher’s building, I hailed a cab. Italian taxicabs are small, ancient, and noisy, in my experience. This one pulled up in a cloud of noxious exhaust that would have made a 1940s diesel cower in fear. It was an old FIAT 124 and sounded like a sewing machine crossed with a lawn mower. I got in and gave the address, and we were off down the winding road. Something made me look back.

It was a blue late model Citroën. I always thought they looked like insects. This one had been buzzing around me all day. The way it was sticking to our back bumper left me no alternative but to think he was deliberately following me. What’s more, he wanted me to know he was following me, and that whoever was in that car would meet me at our destination.

I didn’t like that. I’m a fairly tall man, but not built like a rugby forward or an American football linebacker. I didn’t really want to fight it out with an unknown opponent, whatever he was opposed to. I sat back on the grimy vinyl of the FIAT seat and worried. The FIAT screamed along, the driver occasionally grinding the gears, in the traditional Italian manner, and we made good time across town.

The printer had his offices across the street from the Piazza del Mercato, near a popular pizzeria. We pulled up rather abruptly, only to be hit in the back bumper by the blue Citroën. Whoever the fellow was, he really didn’t want me forgetting about him.

I paid the taxi driver while a large, jovial man got out of the back of the Citroën and laughed at me.

“Don’t look so worried,” he said congenially. “I ain’t here to hurt you.”

“Forgive me if I’m not entirely comforted by that,” I said.

“Come on, Mickey-boy,” said the man, putting an arm the size of a German Shepherd dog around my shoulder. “We’re both here to see the same guy. We’re gonna be pals. What say?”

He was obviously American, of the stereotypical persuasion that you normally only see in my novels. I could have written this guy. The only problem was, I didn’t know what this one wanted. He was built like he wasn’t used to people not agreeing with him. I thought I’d brazen it out and test that theory.

“Alright,” I said. “Let’s go see what our friend Mr. Ficenza has to say. We can work on the friendship part later.”

“I like you, Mickey-boy,” said the guy. I still didn’t know his name. Girls get into that situation all the time, I’m told.

I, on the other hand, like to know who is taking advantage of me. “You know me,” I said. “Who the hell are you?”

“The name’s Miller,” said the big guy. “Charlie Miller. Call me Mitch.” It made about as much sense as anything else that day.

“Okay, Mitch,” I said. “Take me to your leader.”

“Not my leader, Mickey-boy,” said Mitch. “Just the guy who wants to offer you a job with my leader.” He winked. I don’t think he found me attractive, so I just stayed worried. Something felt wrong about this job, like fish with birthday cake, and it wasn’t even my birthday. We went through the glass doors and into the building.

Up on the fifth floor is where Ficenza had his suite of offices. There wasn’t a printing press in sight. I assumed that this was just where he hung out, and that the real work of creating my masterworks went on somewhere else. There’s always a somewhere else. It felt like someone was showing me the part they wanted me to see, while what I wanted to know stayed hidden. I wasn’t even sure I really wanted to know yet.

Ficenza wanted to get friendly, and poured drinks for Mitch and me. We sat on a white leather sofa like three former footballers chatting about the weekend’s cup final results. Mitch seemed totally at ease. Ficenza was friendly, but he kept sweating and wiping his forehead with a pink lace embroidered handkerchief.

“So tell Mickey about the job,” said Mitch. “You’ll love this,” he added to me. “It’s like straight out of the penny magazines back in the old days.”

“Yes,” I said, sounding more calm than I felt. “Tell me about this job. The sooner I reject it, the sooner I can get back to wasting my life.”

“Aw,” said Mitch. “Don’t be like that. This is the real thing, Mickey. A great opportunity.”

“Well, let’s hear it,” I said.

“An acquaintance, no, business associate of mine,” said Ficenza, “is planning to go into politics. He has led a, how shall we say, dissipate, life. This is not good for elections.”

“Tell him who it is,” said Mitch.

“He has read your books, and likes your style. He says, if he can be perceived to be so much larger than life, as a hero, with beautiful women, and a taste for adventure, the public will love him.”

“Tell him who it is,” said Mitch.

“So,” I said, “I’m supposed to ghostwrite the backstory for a politician with a past, not to make it less lurid, but to make it look fun and exciting. He’s racy, but fun?”

“Sort of like this,” said Ficenza. “You will need to emphasize his sense of fairness. He is big on justice. He wants to clean up the mafia.”

“I don’t do political facelifts,” I said.

“Maybe you can start,” said Mitch. He threw a 5x8 inch envelope at me. It spilled onto the coffee table. There was a lot of money there. It was real, and Her Majesty stared up at me from it, as serious as the number of zeros on the notes.

“I haven’t agreed to anything yet,” I said. I was starting to sweat now. I didn’t think that now that I knew the story, Mitch would be very happy if I declined. I was not interested in finding out what his discretion clause would be. “Who’s the lucky protagonist?”

“Hah,” said Mitch. “I knew you were our boy.” He grinned and lit a cigar.

Ficenza frowned at the cloud of blue smoke, wringing his manicured hands. “It is Antonio Valenti. He is leading a conservative party on the island of Cassini. He has worked hard to clean up the island’s image.”

“I’ve never heard of Cassini,” I said honestly. “It doesn’t seem to have an image.”

“Can’t get much cleaner than that,” growled Mitch. He smiled and blew a smoke ring.

“Wait a minute,” I said. I had just been hit by a vision and I didn’t like it. “You mean Tony Valenti, the so called “law and order” candidate. He used to be in the mafia, didn’t he, and was associated with all sorts of public executions, especially of women whose husbands weren’t quite paid up in their protection money or something.”

“He’s not into that stuff anymore,” said Mitch disapprovingly. “He’s cleaned up his act, cleaned up the island, and now he wants you to clean off his reputation. Shouldn’t be too hard. He was a movie star once? The girls loved him. Tony Vale.”

“I don’t remember him,” I said.

“You ain’t a girl,” said Mitch.

I don’t remember saying yes, but I didn't say no. I remember getting instructions to the ferry from Mitch, and Ficenza made a point of making sure I had that envelope of money. I felt like I had just sold my soul, but I wasn’t sure who had bought it.

“Mr. Holmes,” said Ficenza, as he patted the pocket of my jacket where he had just placed the envelope with all those portraits of the Queen, “are your stories in any way…um…autobiographical?”

“All of them,” I told him sincerely.

“What a fascinating life you must have had,” he murmured. As I left his office he was wiping his forehead again. I don’t think he got out much.

I was wondering what I had just got into.

(to be continued...)

An envelope full of money and the perspective of helping a converted maffioso with his efforts to establish law and order on the wonderful island of Cassini.
I would say that can't go bad. But aren't you wondering about those executions he was associated with? Yes, you are wondering I what you have just got into.

Last edited:

The ferry left the harbour of Naples at 4:00pm, the late afternoon light slanting down in golden shafts directly into my eyes. I put on a pair of sunglasses that I had in the breast pocket of my white linen summer jacket. I shuffled along behind a family of Italian silhouettes all talking at once. They seemed to have a number of household pets with them, if goats can be considered pets. The goats were all talking at once as well. I didn’t hear the person next to me say anything, but discovered a ticket agent on my left, when I felt him tap my arm. I didn’t understand his words, but his body language spoke of a deep need to see my ticket. I showed it to him. He seemed mollified, nodded, and faded away.

I made it up the gangway and onto the ferry. It was one of those full-service ferries, with cars below and passenger amenities above, really a ship, but without sleeping quarters. The ferry looked like it had last been redecorated in the mid 1970s, all orange and blue vinyl, and shining Formica. It was clean and well kept. Say what you like about the aesthetic of the ‘70s, they had their own sense of style and didn’t give a rat’s ass what you thought of it. I liked that attitude, and decided I needed a drink. I wondered where the ferry put goats.

I made my way up one deck to the lounge, all glass, leatherette, chrome, and the smell of old smoke. I went to the oak veneer bar and ordered a large whiskey. I wasn’t driving and I needed to calm myself down while I tried to figure out what I thought of the situation I was in.

Antonio Valenti, alias Tony Vale, had been a two bit actor in a couple of B-movies. On a small Italian island, this made him a Hollywood movie star. Anywhere else, you’d be hard pressed to find him on IMDB. He really made his money being the friendly public face of the island’s mafia dons, and organizing their enforcement for them. He ran a slick operation and turned the protection money racket into a fully functioning bureaucracy. There were rumours of ruthless executions of protesters. Nobody could ever connect him to the killings, which he publicly decried. Who knows, he might actually have complained about them to the mafia dons. Bad for business. Anyway, somewhere along the lines they stopped. All of this was unofficial stuff I learned from a drunk journalist in a bar in Rome. I didn’t think it was important at the time. Now it looked like I would meet Valenti and I was more interested.

Valenti, it seems, wanted to scrub his image squeaky clean, as the guy who had cleaned up the mafia. The new “law and order” politician. Tough on crime. I wondered what sort of crime they had on Cassini that it needed a strong hand to deal with. These things are pretty irrelevant. A law and order type doesn’t need crime to appeal to people, and if he does, a person like Valenti could easily create some just to show that he could deal with it.

Nothing to do with me, I told myself. I was just going to write a work of creative fiction about a heroic local politician, and paste Valenti’s name on it. I was going to make a pot of money for doing it. If my conscience wasn’t clear, I was at least being well compensated for having to carry around a tarnished one.

There was a brass crucifix above the bar, with a bored looking Jesus hanging on it. I looked at it as I lit a cigarette. Jesus would probably frown on me having anything to do with Valenti, but Jesus wasn’t paying the bills. He was hanging on a brass cross above a bar on an outdated ferry. I could understand his boredom. I had a momentary flash of amusement, considering anyone on a cross being bored with something like the décor. I suppose it might depend on perspective. I’ve never been crucified, but I understand it takes a while, and it never looks like there’s much to do once you’re up.

Mitch had told me that someone would meet me on board the ferry. Sort of like a guide and handler, I suppose. Back in the old Soviet Union, I have heard that tourist guides were there as much to make sure you didn’t see things you might find alarming, as much as to make sure you saw the wonders of Russian history and the glorious worker’s paradise.

I looked around the lounge at the other patrons. There were two nuns sipping white wine and looking around disdainfully at the sinners. I couldn’t picture them as close associates of Valenti.

In the corner by the door was an older man dressed in rough black trousers and a blue wool jacket. He was sharing a glass of beer with a goat, which partly answered my previous question. The goat was not impressed. I was happy I had ordered a whiskey. The old man was apparently telling the goat something of importance.

Two young girls, probably in their early 20s sat at a table with brightly coloured drinks that matched their holiday outfits. I noted them, but didn’t pay much attention. My mind was on more pressing things.

One wore a green miniskirt with a white blouse, open at the neck, and high-heeled sandals. She had flax-gold hair and aquamarine eyes. Her drink was a vibrant pink colour. Her lips were full and soft looking, with the sort of lipstick that makes you want to taste them. She was laughing at something her companion was saying. The companion was a brunette, all wavy curls with bronze highlights, large dark eyes, rose lips, and a pretty small nose. She wore a royal blue halter-top dress that showed perfect, if modest cleavage and an exotic bead necklace that pointed it out to the observer. I was satisfied I had seen all the patrons of the bar I needed to see, and none of them were my contact.

“I hate these ferry rides,” said an American voice next to me. There was a 40-ish man in a rumpled jacket and gray trousers sitting at the bar. Curly brown hair, a caterpillar moustache, and thick glasses. The contact, I assumed, but I thought I should try to confirm it.

“At least there are amenities,” I said, raising my glass. He gave a huffing sound.

“If you took these ferries as often as I do, you’d hate them too,” he said.

“You travel for business?” I asked. I wondered when he would get to the point.

“Yeah,” he said. “Bill Green. I’m in insurance.” I wondered if that was a code word.

“And what do you insure?” I asked sardonically. He looked at me more closely.

“What does it matter?” he responded. “It’s just work. It’s not glamorous. I just make calculations about risk and work out probabilities.”

“And you don’t like the ferry,” I said.

He gave a short laugh. “Don’t mind me. I’m just not happy about being dragged off on a nice weekend in summer. Got an urgent call, you see, after I had already made plans. I was supposed to be in Capri with a chick, but now I have to work. Got to meet some people.”

“What a coincidence,” I said. I was pretty sure he was the contact, but he still wasn’t being much help.

“You stuck working as well?” Green asked. “I find that it’s better if you have something to do when you travel on these ferries a lot. Now I’m old fashioned, not into this electronic crap that people are carrying around. I only got a flip phone. I like reading so I carry a real book.”

Now things were getting a bit more intriguing. “And what sort of things do you read,” I asked.

“All sorts of stuff, but lately I’m into adventure stories, mysteries. You know, the potboiler stuff, like the old Chandler stories about Sam Spade. Look at this one.” He pulled out a dog-eared paperback of “The Girl with the Roman Fetish”. This was something I had written a few years ago.

“Oh yes,” I said. “You’ll do very well with that one. It got splendid reviews.”

“You know about pulp novels?” Green asked, brightening up. “I love them. They’re fun and you can just let yourself read them without getting bogged down in issues.”

“I write them,” I said.

“Really? That’s great,” said Green. “What have you written?”

“I wrote that one,” I said.

“No kidding,” he said. "You wrote this?"

“No kidding. I am John Hardwood.” It was a pen name I used because the publisher thought it sounded better.

“Well, that’s really something,” said Green. “So what are you doing going to Cassini? Holiday?”

“No,” I said. “I have a book contract.”

“Hey,” he said. “Just make sure you don’t offend anyone. Lots of old mafia types there who don’t want their business published. Some weird stuff went down there a few years back.”

“You mean the mafia killings,” I said.

“I don’t know exactly who killed them, but what the press was never told was that at least two of three of the victims were crucified – two girls and a man.”

“It sounds a bit like one of those urban myths,” I said. “Nobody crucifies people these days.”

“Believe what you like,” said Green affably. “Just don’t offend the locals.” I decided to let that slide. It’s generally good advice anyway, if a bit on the obvious side, and I had no interest in the locals, least of all to offend them. I glanced at Jesus. He was still gazing out mournfully into the bar from his cross. I decided to move Green to the next level. If he was my contact, he could start telling me where we were going and what the setup was.

“Mr. Green,” I said. “I know who you are and why you’re here.”

He looked shocked. Actually, he looked a bit stricken. But he gave me a crucial piece of information.

“If you’ll excuse me,” he said abruptly. He put the paperback into his briefcase, got up, and left the lounge.

Apparently he was not my contact. But in that case, what had I said, and why did he leave?

The nuns looked at me disapprovingly, but that was nothing new. They seemed to be in the lounge specifically to disapprove of everyone else. I didn’t feel special. The old man and the goat ordered another round, and the two girls were giggling and playing sword fight with the umbrellas from their drinks. I didn’t share their joie de vivre.

I finished my whiskey, still wondering about why Green had scuttled away so quickly. I had been so sure he was the contact. It appears I was wrong, but I told him I knew about him. What did he think I knew? I decided I needed some air and it was still two hours until we docked at Cassini.

I left the lounge and went up on deck. If this was a cruise ship, there would have been a shuffleboard game. There’s always a shuffleboard game, even though nobody knows anyone who really knows how to play. Tradition is important. I would know that I am on a pleasant cruise, because the evidence is that there is a shuffleboard game. I was not on a pleasant cruise.

Don’t get me wrong, the sunset over the warm Mediterranean was exquisite, all reds, golds, and purples. I read once that beautiful sunsets are the result of dust in the air. I wondered where the dust came from in the middle of the sea. It was like all this disjointed information in my head, a symbol of my confusion. It shouldn’t be there, but right there is a pretty sunset.

I am on my way to an island off of Italy to write propaganda about a former no-rate actor turned politician, who may have crucified three people in the past. None of this seemed believable. But here I was, and there was the sunset. I took a deep breath of the clear sea air and felt a bit better.

Suddenly the alarm bell went off. “Man overboard!” said the speaker after a longer tirade in Italian and French. It was a bit of excitement, but so many strange things had happened since I went to see Ficenza earlier that day, I was willing to believe this was all connected and not just some strange coincidence.

Sailors were rushing down an access hatch down the stairs to respond to the emergency and rescue whoever had gone over the side. I hoped it wasn’t the goat. I went down one deck to the promenade and watched the sailors pull someone out of the sea in one of those float rings. The body wore a rumpled jacket and grey trousers. I didn’t need to look twice to see that my acquaintance, Mr. Green, would not need his hotel reservation after all. He would be spending the night in less pleasant quarters, steeling his posthumous nerves for the bureaucratic nightmare of Italian funeral preparations.

It was all like a puzzle that doesn’t fit together at all. I was paranoid that all these pieces had something to do with me and my contract, but nothing made sense. I saw Green’s briefcase lying on the deck where nobody else seemed to notice it. I casually wandered over and picked it up. They say things like, “I’d seen enough dead bodies that I didn’t want to hang around.” I haven’t seen a lot of bodies. I still didn’t hang around. I wanted another drink and a little privacy. I went back to the lounge and ordered another whiskey.

The girls and the nuns were gone, but the wife of the old man was standing there talking to him in Italian in a missionizing tone, clearly telling him to mend his ways. The nuns would have been proud. He was sitting in a daze, whether this was because of the alcohol or the never-ending tirade of his wife I couldn’t tell. She finally threw up her hands in exasperation and left the lounge with the goat. The old man got up slowly and stumbled out after her.

Alone in the lounge (apart from the bartender) I took a sip of my whiskey and opened Green’s briefcase. Inside were a number of insurance policy documents, a court summons, the paperback of my novel, and pictures of women. It was hard to tell ages, but from the context, these women were not Green’s relatives. They showed a number of activities, all of them done naked, and some of which required a degree of flexibility that suggested a professional capacity. There was a book with contact numbers. So, our friend Green had been a pimp, trafficking women to the islands. That didn’t explain why he jumped overboard.

It still didn’t make sense. But I remember reading that there is a powerful tautology that explains all of life: whatever happens happens. I may not know why Green decided to drink the whole Mediterranean Sea, but whatever the reason for it, Green was dead. I told myself that it wasn’t anything to do with me.

And I didn’t want it to be anything to do with me. My fingerprints were all over the briefcase now. I was therefore not going to turn it in, or leave it lying around where people might get their hands on it. People end up in Italian prisons on charges based on mistaken identity. Anyway, we were only half an hour out of Cassini now. I could see the lights of the harbour glinting a welcome. I went back up on the promenade deck to watch us come into port.

“Sir?”

I turned to look at the steward who had come to invade my private space. He was young, businesslike, in uniform, and otherwise completely unremarkable.

“You are Signor Holmes?”

“Yes,” I said. “Si.” I exhausted my proficiency in Italian.

“A note for you, sir,” said the steward. I took it and he vanished. I unfolded the paper he handed me.

“Proceed to the Hotel Croce della Vergine on the Via del Salvatore. A room has been booked for you. Welcome to Cassini.”

So, my mysterious contact was on board, and was still alive. That sort of ruled out Green, but the Sea had already done that. When the ship docked at the ferry terminal on Cassini, I walked down the gangway and into the terminal’s lobby.

People were out in the evening and lights shone from taverns and bistros along the harbourfront. Everything looked exactly like I would have expected an Italian island village to look like. I checked at the information counter for directions. It’s not true that men don’t ask for directions. They just don’t when there’s a woman in the car.

The Croce della Vergine was up the hill. Cassini is essentially a small mountain that rises out of the sea. On the one side, there is a sheltered but small harbour. On the other side are attractive sandy beaches. The Croce della Vergine took advantage of none of these features, and sat on the edge of a steep cliff, on “Saviour Street” above the main town. It was an out of the way place. On the other hand, it looked welcoming enough once I had made the ascent on foot from the village. I should have tried to find a taxi, but I only had the one case, and now Green’s briefcase. I’m not so badly out of shape.

There was nobody at the front desk, and I was not in the mood for standing around waiting, so I went through a colonnaded archway and into the bar. “Gin and tonic,” I said.

The bartender was a bored looking young man, but he could mix drinks. A simple gin and tonic posed him no problems. I took out a cigarette and he proffered a light. “Thank you,” I said.

“You are Mr. Holmes, yes.” he said. I looked at him in some surprise.

“We have been expecting you?” he said. “My uncle is the manager here and he said I should see you when you come in, and show you the room?” Why this was a question, I don’t know.

“That will be fine,” I said, “when I finish my drink.”

“Of course, Mr. Holmes. You will be with us long.” I assumed that was supposed to be a question. I wondered about the foreign language instruction on Cassini.

“I don’t know,” I said. “Until I finish my work here.”

“I hope you enjoy your stay with us?” I was getting used to it.

In due course, I was checked in and taken to the room. It was a standard small suite, with a small sitting room complete with desk, television, a small loveseat and an armchair. The chair and loveseat were done in olive canvas and trimmed with leather. Good solid hotel issue, but of a decent caliber. The bartender, whose name was Aldo, made a point of showing me the bathroom, an extravagant marble affair with a glass shower stall, soaker tub, bidet and double sink. A plaster naked cherub stood on its toes on a pedestal above the bath, permanently frozen in the act apparently of diving in. I knew how he felt. Aldo was very proud of the bathroom.

I tipped Aldo, which triggered his departure mechanism and he went off to standby mode somewhere else. I took my bags through to the bedroom. King sized bed, mahogany end tables and tasteful lamps. There was a dresser and a stand for my case. There was a painting of a crucified girl above the bed, done in a style that seemed unsure of whether it was supposed to be like Rembrandt, El Greco, or Botticelli. The subject of the painting looked less like she was despairing and more like she was expecting more from the experience. I appreciated that she was naked, and fairly accurately painted. Still, it was an odd painting for a hotel room.

I put Green’s briefcase in the drawer of the dresser and kicked off my shoes. Then I went back to the bathroom for a shower. The rainforest showerhead did a lot to make me forget the strangeness of the day. The hotel went up in my estimation as I discovered the luxury quality shampoo and shower gel. I don’t use shower gel unless I’m at a hotel, where I insist on it. I was feeling better as I walked naked back into the bedroom.

“You take very long showers,” said the girl. I stopped and looked. There were two girls in the bed. Golden blonde and bronze brunette. A green miniskirt and a blue haltertop dress were draped over a chair.

“What’s going on?” I asked. Things like this, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding, do not happen to me.

“We’re your contact,” said the blonde. “It’s our job to get you to Signor Valenti, but he’s not home until tomorrow.”

“So now it’s our job to make sure you are taken care of and happy,” said the bronze girl with dark eyes. “Think of it as a welcome gift.”

I was not in the mood. The day had been surreal in its strangeness. I was tired. I decided to tell the girls to leave and if they wanted to contact me, to do so in the morning, preferably after breakfast. An Englishman needs his sleep, after all, especially one who might have to work the next morning.

“Make some room,” I said. I got into bed.

(to be continued...)

There were two girls in the bed. Golden blonde and bronze brunette. A green miniskirt and a blue haltertop dress were draped over a chair.

“What’s going on?” I asked. Things like this, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding, do not happen to me.

(to be continued...)

They do now! :)

(Lucky bastard....:rolleyes:)

Sorry I didn't respond this morning, Jollyrei. I decided to save it for when I could relax and read it properly.

Glad I did!

:goodjob:

The description of the ferry and its passengers! Great!

I kept wondering, if this story should be filmed, who would play Holmes? Many candidates! Robert Mitchum? Richard Burton? Burt Lancaster? Richard Harris? Gregory Peck? Robert Vaughn? Michael Caine? Kyle MacLachlan? I know, most of them are dead by now, but they would fit well in the 'film noir' atmosphere created here.

I kept wondering, if this story should be filmed, who would play Holmes? Many candidates! Robert Mitchum? Richard Burton? Burt Lancaster? Richard Harris? Gregory Peck? Robert Vaughn? Michael Caine? Kyle MacLachlan? I know, most of them are dead by now, but they would fit well in the 'film noir' atmosphere created here.
You forgot Stacy Keach!!!

This is so well written!!!!!!!!!!!! I am loving it Jolly .... more please! :)
Oh, there's more. :cool:
I am so glad I was not sipping my Seagram's coffee this morning as I read the last lines of this. It would have certainly resulted in a sinus flush:D!

Great chapter!!!
They do now! :)

(Lucky bastard....:rolleyes:)

Sorry I didn't respond this morning, Jollyrei. I decided to save it for when I could relax and read it properly.

Glad I did!

:goodjob:
Thanks so much! I think I'm getting the hang of the Holmes character.

You forgot Stacy Keach!!!
I was thinking about a number of those, as I got started. Holmes and Mitch have the fullest personalities in my mind so far. I won't say more about who is in my mind when I write Holmes. I did see him as English, which allows me to cast him as a wannabe detective (Keach or Bogart might be too seriously hard boiled). Mitch is American, possibly New York or Boston. The girls need to be fleshed out, metaphorically speaking. We haven't seen much of them (although Mick has likely seen almost all of them).:rolleyes::D

Back
Top Bottom