Odds And Ends And Anything You Fancy

Go to CruxDreams.com
Sometimes there are strange little coincidences. On April 5th 1960, sixty years ago, William Wyler's Ben-Hur won its record breaking eleven Academy Awards. Worth to mention on the forum, since it is set in our beloved Roman era, and there is even a crucifixion in it, at the end (although I admit I watch it first of all for the naval battle and the chariot race).
The little coincidence is that both Martha Scott, playing Ben-Hur's mother in the film and Charlton Heston, playing the lead character, both died on an april 5th (respectively in 2003 and 2008). For Martha Scott, Ben-Hur was the second occasion she played the mother of Heston's character, since she had already done three years earlier, in The Ten Commandments.

Sometimes there are strange little coincidences. On April 5th 1960, sixty years ago, William Wyler's Ben-Hur won its record breaking eleven Academy Awards. Worth to mention on the forum, since it is set in our beloved Roman era, and there is even a crucifixion in it, at the end (although I admit I watch it first of all for the naval battle and the chariot race).
The little coincidence is that both Martha Scott, playing Ben-Hur's mother in the film and Charlton Heston, playing the lead character, both died on an april 5th (respectively in 2003 and 2008). For Martha Scott, Ben-Hur was the second occasion she played the mother of Heston's character, since she had already done three years earlier, in The Ten Commandments.

And knowing Hollywood she was probably withing 5 to 10 years of his age.

My favourite Heston film is El Cid, but I am more of an early medievalist so no surprise. So many great scenes, and fantasitic score as well.

Right, let's see . . . . ah yes. Nudists. You know there is no hiding nature. Which one do you think she's spending the night with?
mf_tri1(5).jpg

Then there's try before you buy
564.jpg

And if it works out you save a lot on the wedding dress
wedsuper_0003.jpg

Anak Krakatau Erupts again. I suppose Greta will want to put a carbon tax on it. :rolleyes:

How dare she!

I love it how these climate change activists are willing to get on a plane and fly halfway round the world to lecture us about global warming :)
Fucking hypocrites all of them. They're as bad a Hollywood celebrities in their astonishing lack of self-awareness

Anak Krakatau Erupts again.

This scares me. Covid19 has shown how fragile our supposedly well-organised systems really are,
some other natural event like a major volcanic eruption triggering sudden climate change, crop failures etc.,
never minds the effects of human stupidity, could make the coronavirus just the starter course ...

How dare she!

I love it how these climate change activists are willing to get on a plane and fly halfway round the world to lecture us about global warming :)
Fucking hypocrites all of them. They're as bad a Hollywood celebrities in their astonishing lack of self-awareness
You may be misinformed--
It seems easy for some on this forum to hate Greta Thunberg. I would ask them: what have you done lately to improve or preserve life on this delicate planet? It's easy to throw stones; it's more difficult to build with them.
:amen:

Anak Krakatau Erupts again. I suppose Greta will want to put a carbon tax on it. :rolleyes:

View attachment 847399

Actually, volcanic eruptions have a cooling effect. It is thought that "the year without summer" in the northern hemisphere (1816 if I recall) was caused by a volcanic eruption (Tambora in the Philippines if I remember). The idea is that they flood the atmosphere with "sulfate" aerosoles and fine dust particles that reflect sunlight back into space , whereas carbon dioxide absorbs solar infrared radiation due to its "vibrational modes", then converts it into heat by collision with other molecules in the atmosphere. Water vapor does too, and so does methane, but the latter doesn't have a long life in the atmosphere. The reason CO2 is such a problem is that it can do this repeatedly, and soak up a lot of heat. Both carbon dioxide and sulfate (and sulfite--three oxygens instead of four) can dissolve in water to acidify it. This kills coral in the ocean, and that is clearly happening. Measuring pH is straightforward and there shouldn't be any controversy about it.
One big problem with Anak Krakatau (which is the remnant of the great Krakatau eruption of 1883--it sits over the same magma reservoir) is that it is very near the tip of Java, which holds a national park which is the last refuge of the Javan rhinoceros among other things (there used to be Javan tigers too, but they were poached out). There are only a few (tens at most) of them left. Indonesia in general is not what you would call a model of human compatibility with wildlife. (A lot of places aren't, and not just in the third world, but Indonesia doesn't have a lot of wiggle room with its burgeoning population.)

How dare she!

You may be misinformed--
It seems easy for some on this forum to hate Greta Thunberg. I would ask them: what have you done lately to improve or preserve life on this delicate planet? It's easy to throw stones; it's more difficult to build with them.
And there are plenty of other places to exchange opinions on climate change in general and Ms Thunberg in particular,
but neither qualifies as an odd nor and end, and not really what we fancy here ;)

How dare she!

Jane Goodall of chimpanzee fame acknowledges that she flies a lot to give talks, and that is problematic. She says she tries to compensate in other ways. I personally think Jane Goodall has a lot of credibility, and isn't a money magnet like Hollywood celebrities (or right-wing radio hosts).

Flying halfway round the world in order to persuade people not to fly halfway round the world (which is not what Thunberg did, but let’s leave that aside) would make perfect sense anyway. There’s still a net reduction in flying as long as more than one person is dissuaded from flying by such a visit. It’s too easy to shout hypocrisy, and use it as an excuse to go on doing nothing. In Thunberg’s case it’s something one can throw at her, even though it’s factually incorrect, as a way of permitting oneself to ignore the uncomfortable message she represents.

This is one smart (or lucky) sea lion.
Hope this works, I've never attached an mp4 before.
Smart and lucky. She looks like a harbor seal to me, not a sealion.
Apparently sealions even have to worry about baleen whales (no teeth, and probably unable to swallow a sealion) with their fishing technique of swimming under a fish school in every tightening circles while blowing bubbles, then rushing up and engulfing the concentrated school of fish.
HumpbackSealion20190805.png

Back
Top Bottom