Pet Peeve...

Go to CruxDreams.com
I am not hunting 'likes" or comments and certainly look at the views and while I know I have more time available than many of you (it's not bad but not all it is chalked up to be) and know it can take a day to get through everything here for those that have a life do be cognoscente to take a moment to comment on other's threads occasionally.

'Hit me with a 2 X 4 and you have my attention... pat my back and you have a friend...

...Tree

I don't even mind hearing what you did not like... I may not listen but... :doh:

I give a "like" to all the stories I read, and try to comment on them, because I appreciate how much thought, and work goes into writing a story. There is no way I can read all the stories, or check out all the various threads on the forums, because I estimate I have about 2 hours each day to relax here on the the forums each day.

I give a "like" to all the stories I read, and try to comment on them, because I appreciate how much thought, and work goes into writing a story. There is no way I can read all the stories, or check out all the various threads on the forums, because I estimate I have about 2 hours each day to relax here on the the forums each day.
Hey, if you aren't the problem I was not addressing you. It was something that set me off a few days ago but I won't say what. Just remember if you want any form of accolades you have to take time to reciprocate...

Tree

Hey, if you aren't the problem I was not addressing you. It was something that set me off a few days ago but I won't say what. Just remember if you want any form of accolades you have to take time to reciprocate...

Tree
I understand, I was just commenting on what I do when I read stories. I was just adding to the thread.

A last comment ?
For me, I'm desolated Tree (and other writters), but I've less and less time to be here and long stories are often creating more difficulties for me to read : the English language isn't my language and I'm often obliged to translate all the posts (concerning the most complicated stories) ; that's taking much time that I've not !
So, actuaaly, I try to read some stories here and there, but I limit my attention and I'm obliged to make choices ...
... and toi put a like without having read a line of a story is not conceivable for me ...
:D

Shall I close this thread???

One last question.

I often 'like' chapters of a story, and when a comment makes a new point I often 'like' that as well. If someone comments on my post, I 'like' it to acknowledge I've seen it and appreciate the effort to respond.

But what is the correct response when a chapter written by A has a comment from B saying "That was a fine story". I agree with B, it seems a bit trite to say "I agree", does 'liking' B's post add weight to his post as far as A is concerned? Or would A prefer a "Me too"?

One last question.

I often 'like' chapters of a story, and when a comment makes a new point I often 'like' that as well. If someone comments on my post, I 'like' it to acknowledge I've seen it and appreciate the effort to respond.

But what is the correct response when a chapter written by A has a comment from B saying "That was a fine story". I agree with B, it seems a bit trite to say "I agree", does 'liking' B's post add weight to his post as far as A is concerned? Or would A prefer a "Me too"?

Placing a "like" on both A and B is probably sufficient unless one has something new to add.

One last question.

I think if you "liked" the chapter and the comment, you've registered your opinion and don't need to post unless you have something to say beyond "I agree". Because then, those who agreed with your agreement would feel they should post too and so on.

One last question.

Let me drink more and I will get back to you on this!!!

View attachment 421497 I agree with most everything posted here already. The real satisfaction for me is in the writing and creative process. Of course I want people to read it, like it, and comment and would be disappointed if they didn't. But I think I would continue to write my stories even if they didn't, because I am always imagining story lines and I very much enjoy getting them down and embellishing them with new thoughts, twists and details. I don't get to write like this in my job, which is full of technical academic writing and heavy duty editing. Writing for CF is my release and joy. I do try to read as much of the many examples of quality writing here on CF as I can find time for, but there is so much and I am often forced to skim, which leaves me feeling only partly satisfied. But that's the way it is, and I think we should all be grateful we have this place and so many like-minded people here with whom we can share our slightly warped fantasies and prose.:rolleyes:

Keep writing everyone and know that your efforts are appreciated here.
:)
Barbs has written my response for me. Sometimes I leave things half-finished, sometimes I come back to them. Always I love sharing and I am grateful to everyone else who creates and shares here. We don't know how lucky we are. Truly.

Those who are posting their opinions here are the same as those who comment on other threads. I haven't seen anyone who says "I don't give likes and I don't comment because...".

Usually I don't follow more than two or three stories at the same time, included sometimes stories of long ago. Simply because there are so many and because I can't read English as fast as my own language.
But for those I do read I try to express my appreciation, be it by likes or comments or by posting a picture.
It is not always easy to find an appropriate or substantive comment and to verbalise it properly. Simply saying "this is a good story" doesn't satisfy me.

Usually I don't follow more than two or three stories at the same time, included sometimes stories of long ago. Simply because there are so many and because I can't read English as fast as my own language.

Which raises a question-why not a thread for stories in languages other than English? If someone posts a story there in Russian or German or Chinese or some language I can't read, I won't read it, but how is anyone hurt by that?

Which raises a question-why not a thread for stories in languages other than English? If someone posts a story there in Russian or German or Chinese or some language I can't read, I won't read it, but how is anyone hurt by that?

The obvious problem arises that the number of moderators and admins who can read languages other than English is limited and that certain subjects remain taboo even on a forum such as this. The duty of care that this site owes to its members necessitates that staff be able to read what is posted.

The obvious problem arises that the number of moderators and admins who can read languages other than English is limited and that certain subjects remain taboo even on a forum such as this. The duty of care that this site owes to its members necessitates that staff be able to read what is posted.

OK, that's reasonable. I think moderators could be found for some of the major ones, at least German and French, but certainly some languages would be difficult and would have to be excluded..

It wouldn't solve the problem (as far as it is a problem), since most would still be posted in English. I simply can't read everything without becoming saturated. The purpose of this site is to enjoy its members but too much enjoyment of the same kind is no longer enjoyable, as least for me it isn't. So choices have to be made.
Furthermore there is a lot to be read outside the Forums.

Back
Top Bottom