Question for the Lictors: How Much Whipping is Too Much?

Go to CruxDreams.com

202x

Guard
You have been asked to prepare a person that you judge to have average strength and stamina for a real crucifixion. The whipping you inflict is expected to produce the maximum possible discomfort for the condemned. There is no set number of lashes, but the crowd and the authorities expect to see some blood. However, if the condemned expires after hanging for less than six hours on the cross, you will be blamed. You have a choice of whips and techniques at your disposal based on your previous experience. Which of the following statements describe how you would proceed? (multiple statements may apply)

1. Use a single tail whip, snap the tip to tear the skin in short cuts up to a few inches long, spreading the wounds evenly across the back and buttocks, stopping before isolated wounds merge.
  2. Use a single tail whip to tear the skin in long gashes an inch or so apart, changing hands or working with a partner to crisscross strokes, stopping when skin is removed or hangs in ribbons across the upper back and buttocks.
  3. Use a scourge to puncture the skin of the back and buttocks, stopping when blood drips from the condemned’s body to the ground.
  4. Use a scourge to open wounds on the back and buttocks, dragging each lash across the body until skin is removed.
  5. Use a flogger or lighter strokes of one of the whips above on the front of the body, avoiding serious injuries to the abdomen or genitalia, but terrifying the condemned as they see the whip coming at their most sensitive places.
  6. Other (please specify)
Any images that illustrate “what right looks like” are welcome. Thank you, Lictors!

You have been asked to prepare a person that you judge to have average strength and stamina for a real crucifixion. The whipping you inflict is expected to produce the maximum possible discomfort for the condemned. There is no set number of lashes, but the crowd and the authorities expect to see some blood. However, if the condemned expires after hanging for less than six hours on the cross, you will be blamed. You have a choice of whips and techniques at your disposal based on your previous experience. Which of the following statements describe how you would proceed? (multiple statements may apply)

1. Use a single tail whip, snap the tip to tear the skin in short cuts up to a few inches long, spreading the wounds evenly across the back and buttocks, stopping before isolated wounds merge.
  2. Use a single tail whip to tear the skin in long gashes an inch or so apart, changing hands or working with a partner to crisscross strokes, stopping when skin is removed or hangs in ribbons across the upper back and buttocks.
  3. Use a scourge to puncture the skin of the back and buttocks, stopping when blood drips from the condemned’s body to the ground.
  4. Use a scourge to open wounds on the back and buttocks, dragging each lash across the body until skin is removed.
  5. Use a flogger or lighter strokes of one of the whips above on the front of the body, avoiding serious injuries to the abdomen or genitalia, but terrifying the condemned as they see the whip coming at their most sensitive places.
  6. Other (please specify)
Any images that illustrate “what right looks like” are welcome. Thank you, Lictors!
Take it easy! Crucifying a half dead condemned with a torn open skin ruins it all. Option 5 and also inflicted on the back side.

6 No whipping, the crucifixion experience will be discomforting enough.
If victim expires withing 6 hours no one can blame you for whipping the condemned to much.

A rawhide lash or scourge should be dry, stiff and hardened, so the edges of the cords and the knots are as sharp as possible to bite and tear the skin.

Canes or birch rods should be soaked in brine before use for maximum weight and flexibility, causing the most brutal sting
I'll try that tomorrow night withv1st a,dry rope then a,wet rope on my front

As a submissive, I think that the best option is 5. The pain should be accompanied by a feeling of mixed terror and emotion by saying that the whip is near the back
I think I read in the Hornblower series of C.S. Forester about the possible number of lashes, before the skin is damaged and when it is supposed to be deadly. One of the points is also that the flogging is in front of the shipmates. i do not kno if that is also part of your fantasy.

military-flogging-hulton-archive.jpg

I think 1 then 3 and finish with 5 sounds like an ideal combination. Some cuts and blood won’t kill the slave. It provides both entertainment for the crowd as well as added torment for the slave to endure, both at the whipping post and as it’s tortured back scrapes the rough wood of Master crux.

I’m pretty certain that will mean all but the most emancipated slave would easily survive the required 6 hours. More probably last a day or two, particularly if kept hydrated with a piss soaked rag whilst it hangs from it’s nine inch nails….

this slave is willing to volunteer if you need a demonstration, Sir?

Here are my views on this subject. Scourging or flogging as preparation for crucifixion or other executions is a special case. In historical practice the scourge was a multi-tailed whip made of heavy rope with bits of metal tied into the tails. This instrument is going to make a mess of the victims back quickly. The objective is roughening the back to cause more pain on the cross. Shouldn't require much more than a dozen lashes - much more could be fatal.

If the purpose of the flogging is punishment by flogging alone the objective is to cause as much pain as possible while causing only minor damage to the punished man or woman. Ideal for this function is the classic cat-o-nine tails where the tails magnify the pain of the flogging. I think the worst punishment of this type is a naval punishment used in the British and US Navy in the 19th century called 'flogging around the fleet' where the victim is taken from ship to ship and is flogged with the heavy cat on each ship. This punishment is pretty severe often requiring long recovery times and some poor sailors didn't survive.

Another use for whipping is to control and punish slaves - slaves in our fantasy context - here the objective is to cause pain for the sadistic pleasure of the Master or Mistress and the masochistic pleasure of the slave. Obviously it's necessary to minimize long term damage on the body of the valuable slave. For this use of crops, quirts, cats and short single tail whips is desired. Of course use of straps, canes, or switches also meet this objective. Of course if the Mater or Mistress wants to be rid of a recalcitrant slave damage is not much of a problem since follow on beheading, hanging or the like is usually on the permanent side. My heart skips a beat or two as I kneel before my Mistress presenting her with my favorite cat or crop hoping for a few of her best. :)

Stay away from the eight foot bull whips for all of these objectives. The long bull is a deadly weapon which can break bones and cause damage to internal organs. Unless of course the objective of the whipping is to kill the poor subject. :(

Here are my views on this subject. Scourging or flogging as preparation for crucifixion or other executions is a special case. In historical practice the scourge was a multi-tailed whip made of heavy rope with bits of metal tied into the tails. This instrument is going to make a mess of the victims back quickly. The objective is roughening the back to cause more pain on the cross. Shouldn't require much more than a dozen lashes - much more could be fatal.

If the purpose of the flogging is punishment by flogging alone the objective is to cause as much pain as possible while causing only minor damage to the punished man or woman. Ideal for this function is the classic cat-o-nine tails where the tails magnify the pain of the flogging. I think the worst punishment of this type is a naval punishment used in the British and US Navy in the 19th century called 'flogging around the fleet' where the victim is taken from ship to ship and is flogged with the heavy cat on each ship. This punishment is pretty severe often requiring long recovery times and some poor sailors didn't survive.

Another use for whipping is to control and punish slaves - slaves in our fantasy context - here the objective is to cause pain for the sadistic pleasure of the Master or Mistress and the masochistic pleasure of the slave. Obviously it's necessary to minimize long term damage on the body of the valuable slave. For this use of crops, quirts, cats and short single tail whips is desired. Of course use of straps, canes, or switches also meet this objective. Of course if the Mater or Mistress wants to be rid of a recalcitrant slave damage is not much of a problem since follow on beheading, hanging or the like is usually on the permanent side. My heart skips a beat or two as I kneel before my Mistress presenting her with my favorite cat or crop hoping for a few of her best. :)

Stay away from the eight foot bull whips for all of these objectives. The long bull is a deadly weapon which can break bones and cause damage to internal organs. Unless of course the objective of the whipping is to kill the poor subject. :(
Turlough brings up a good point. Is the crucified being put to death for their actions or crimes. If so, whipping should be kept to a minimum so their execution will take (agonizing) longer. If the person is crucified in an arena for public entertainment, whip the hell out of them. After all, they are just there to please the crowd!

Thank you for all the thoughtful responses. I see additional severity in the whipping as a mercy for the condemned because it could shorten the time on the cross. A day or two up there is plenty for all involved. Less than six hours seems too short for all of the trouble of assembling a team of executioners, nailing, raising, and recycling the cross.

The whipping is intended to cause as much pain as a whipping can, short of becoming the cause of death. Death is the job of the cross. The lictor thus needs to stop before the wounds would kill the condemned if they were somehow saved and never placed on the cross. (Let’s assume that secondary effects like infections that would take days to kill are irrelevant here.)

So, how much skin can one remove before the whipping trumps the crucifixion?

Back
Top Bottom