Raising the Cross - Which Way?

Which method of Crucifixion arouses the sense more?

• Total voters
Go to CruxDreams.com
Yow!! That would most definitely add a sharp (and humiliating) pain for the condemned women... In a sense, it shows that they have no choice - they cannot resist as each of their limbs are pinned to the wood. And while the pain in the tip of their nipples is fierce, they cannot even begin to assuage it in any way whatsoever. Their bodies are no longer their own, but rather they are more akin to ornaments hung upon their respective crosses for all to see and gaze upon. Their pain is the crowd's pleasure. Their humiliation is the crowd's entertainment. Their suffering is the crowd's spectacle.

I've thought of adding a similar facet to the renders by having one of the guards taunt the crucified women with a cup of water. He holds it just out of the reach of her lips, and makes her struggle to reach it. Though water is hard to do in renders.

Do it! Would be pretty nice

Finally found Damian’s 2001 original imagining of a permanent crucifixion frame or gibbet.

Since this is a manip, I once asked him he could show me the source image of the lady on the right. Alas, she’s a composite. But she remains one of the most intensely, screamingly erotic crux images I’ve ever laid eyes on.

Attachments

• 127AF49F-E5D0-46D1-A7B1-76BA50946E8E.jpeg
    127AF49F-E5D0-46D1-A7B1-76BA50946E8E.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 1,017
  • 8A7D8651-052E-4B19-9839-5F3881D44FA6.jpeg
    8A7D8651-052E-4B19-9839-5F3881D44FA6.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 1,111
Indeed. And it’s a tradition carried down through millennia. :rolleyes:
Finally found Damian’s 2001 original imagining of a permanent crucifixion frame or gibbet.

Since this is a manip, I once asked him he could show me the source image of the lady on the right. Alas, she’s a composite. But she remains one of the most intensely, screamingly erotic crux images I’ve ever laid eyes on.
The inspiration for this structure comes from the 1977 TV miniseries "Jesus of Nazareth".
jon1.pngjon2.png
I was greatly impressed by the idea of permanent scaffolding type structure for crucifixions. It so practical, I'm surprised the Romans never actually thought of it.

It so practical, I'm surprised the Romans never actually thought of it.

Agree with your observations, but do we really know that the Romans, never thought of it? I remember not long ago a great debate as to whether they used the "Latin" cross or the "T" cross. That was decided by accepting that either could have been used.
My thought, after limited study is that in big cities, where executions were a regular business, they probably had permanent structures of one kind or another just outside the city gate (get the highest viewership that way). Some were single poles fixed in the ground and some have have been lattices.

Agree with your observations, but do we really know that the Romans, never thought of it? I remember not long ago a great debate as to whether they used the "Latin" cross or the "T" cross. That was decided by accepting that either could have been used.
My thought, after limited study is that in big cities, where executions were a regular business, they probably had permanent structures of one kind or another just outside the city gate (get the highest viewership that way). Some were single poles fixed in the ground and some have have been lattices.

You beat me to it, Praefectus. I was also going to say that if there are any written descriptions of crucifixion in the ancient world extant, I’ve never heard of them.

Has anybody?

One possible hint as to the system: in Greek in the new testament and elsewhere, the word for crucify was σταυρόω, stauroó. Meaning stake, like a fence staked around a property. To me this implies permanent uprights fixed in the ground

if there are any written descriptions of crucifixion in the ancient world extant, I’ve never heard of them.

Has anybody?
I don't believe so. All the descriptions just say crucify, they assumed everyone knew since it happened so regularly. (Latin crucifigo - to make crux - crux meant any kind of hanging on a tree, later refined to crucifixion. In Greek they may say ana-stauro, put on a stake or impale; apo-tumpanizo, crucify on a plank' or anaskolopizo, impale.
It is assumed that crux comes from the Greek letter Chi (X), but we don't really know. Chi is a kind of word play, first letter of Christ and therefore symbol of Jesus, and X, a cross figure. All very unsure.

The girls on the lower row will be rained on with piss and filth. Will the gals on the upper row feel guilt for the insult? Will the ask the gal below for pardon? What is the proper etiquette for such an occasion?

You might want to ask Julie and/or Melissa. They positioned the girls thusly, and may have given the matter some thought. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• CF69BECD-02E3-4B52-AC10-B3AC5223C7FB.jpeg
    CF69BECD-02E3-4B52-AC10-B3AC5223C7FB.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 987
What is the proper etiquette for such an occasion?
Amazingly enough, Aristachus of Alexandria (90 CE) addressed this in his tome on manners (Latin Title - De Moribus Optimis pro Omnibus Condiciōnibus). But I can't find the Latin version, and the Greek is, well, "all Greek to me!" Perhaps Eulalia when she's around?

I like the nailing of hands first to patibula, it would be interesting to see how person's body reacts and moves, then as a person being raised on the cross he is completely stretched and his legs and feet flying in the air as the person tries to get air, and then nailing of the feet.
But would she kick her feet wildly and for how long? I say 'her' my picture is of a young strong woman, nude, nailed to the crossbar and the bar and her raised.

The nails through her wrists along with the stretching of her body, the incredible strain on her shoulders and arms and back, and again, those nails through her wrist, her whole weight on those nails!

Would she kick and jerk and put even more pressure on her parts of most stress and pain, or would she quickly strain to hold as still as she could. Would she almost welcome, if only for a moment, the nailing of her feet so she could stand?

Would be beautiful to see

I had to deliberate before casting my vote.
While the second method would bring on some very exciting and beautiful reactions from the victim
I vote she is nailed to the cross, on the ground, then raised.
The process would be done efficiently and coldly by her executioners.
Tripped back onto her cross by three strong men. When her back hits that cross one man on each arm and the other would sit on her thighs holding her as still as possible.
In would come the nailer. He'd quickly nail one wrist then the other.
The three men would quickly move her feet into position. Flat one foot next to the other, her knees bent expertly. Again . The nailer moves quickly pinning her to the cross.
She's now raised by the group, coldly.
She feels her agony immediately and starts the dance

But would she kick her feet wildly and for how long? I say 'her' my picture is of a young strong woman, nude, nailed to the crossbar and the bar and her raised.

The nails through her wrists along with the stretching of her body, the incredible strain on her shoulders and arms and back, and again, those nails through her wrist, her whole weight on those nails!

Would she kick and jerk and put even more pressure on her parts of most stress and pain, or would she quickly strain to hold as still as she could. Would she almost welcome, if only for a moment, the nailing of her feet so she could stand?

Would be beautiful to see
Interesting perspective. I think when the nails go into the wrist while the person is on the ground, he will definitely kick and jerk, but once the nails are in I assume person can lay unmoved trying to not hurt themselves more. But while stretched on the cross I believe the feet will be searching for something to relieve the pain up until they get nailed.

Interesting perspective. I think when the nails go into the wrist while the person is on the ground, he will definitely kick and jerk, but once the nails are in I assume person can lay unmoved trying to not hurt themselves more. But while stretched on the cross I believe the feet will be searching for something to relieve the pain up until they get nailed.
Searching yes, but not kicking wildly I dont think. Shed try and grasp the upright I'd think with her feet. Her arches trying to get traction and shiny her way up enough to provide some relief for her upper body. When the two men the grab her feet and push them up and flat to the upright I think shed for a second feel some relief. Shed stand their strong grip supporting her. And at first, they'd set her feet so as her knees were at a nice bend allowing her to stand as comfortably as could ever be expected. Then- a quick shift, her feet lowered, her calves stretched, then the nailer moves in and quickly nails her feet tight to her cross.

A great set of pics here. Can't get enough of these quality pics.

Why, thank you. It was a group effort. ;)

Raising

What do you prefer to see?

The whole cross raising together with the victim hanging by nails

or

the patibulum is lifted to the top of the already vertically standing stipes together with the victim hanging by wrist nails

Let me know the reason of your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raising

What do you prefer to see?

The whole cross raising together with the victim hanging by nails

or

the patibulum is lifted to the top of the already vertically standing stipes together with the victim hanging by wrist nails

Let me know the reason of your decision.
You can find many answers in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom