Real Nails

Go to CruxDreams.com
and regarding the question of "standing" against "hanging on the nails"...
Also in roman style it was not hanging on two nails in the wrist (or even hands!).
Feet were also nailed to support the body weight. Sometimes even a "sedulum" was used.
There is archaeological evidence of feet nailed at the side of the vertical beam, as in the picture, but in many christian depictions a pedestal is shown.
Considering that at the time of early christian depictions, romans were still crucifying...
well, maybe the big difference is that the romans were leaving the condemned on the cross for hours and even days and not for a quarter of an hour!
Feet nailed in the philipine way, they are standing on a horizontal platform, no weight on the nails.
Uncomfortable, and it will cause pain, but not in the same league as taking your full weight hanging/pushing on the nails.
In roman crux they hang on the nails in their wrists. or push down to take the weight through the nails in their feet/ankle whatever.
The feet are suspended by the nails for the most part(even with a slanted footrest.-> hanging on the nails.

OFC I wouldn't recommend crucifiying someone in the roman way,
I only wanted to point out the real difference between a make believe crucifixion as done on the philipines and the original real crucifixions in antiquity.
For me the philipine crux is a short, very symbolic.
Drawings, 3D renders and photomanips can give a more realistic and indeed better depiction of what a crucifixion was back then.

To each their own of course, but real suffering? to me it is not.

About real suffering: Maryjane S. looks suffering enough in the last picture even if, according to local newspaper it was not her first time...

Attachments

• mary jane sazon-01.jpg
    mary jane sazon-01.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 321
  • mary jane sazon-02.jpg
    mary jane sazon-02.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 170
  • mary jane sazon-03.jpg
    mary jane sazon-03.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 157
  • mary jane sazon-04.jpg
    mary jane sazon-04.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 175
  • mary jane sazon-05.jpg
    mary jane sazon-05.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 172
  • mary jane sazon-06.png
    mary jane sazon-06.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 159
  • mary jane sazon-07.jpg
    mary jane sazon-07.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 160
But my favourite is the 30 year old woman of the second set

Attachments

• MaryJaneMmamangon-22.jpg
    MaryJaneMmamangon-22.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 156
  • MaryJaneMmamangon-21.jpg
    MaryJaneMmamangon-21.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 161
  • MaryJaneMmamangon-23.jpg
    MaryJaneMmamangon-23.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 173
  • MaryJaneMmamangon-24.jpg
    MaryJaneMmamangon-24.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 171
  • MaryJaneMmamangon-25.jpg
    MaryJaneMmamangon-25.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 164
  • MaryJaneMmamangon-26.jpg
    MaryJaneMmamangon-26.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 221
I've seen this sort of thing before. It is a fascinating phenomenon.
Self infliction of pain & even self mutilation as an act of religious devotion seems to have been part of human nature throughout history. I think there is a connection between the experience of religious ecstasy & the release of endorphins caused by physical injuries. There are cultures where devotees will pierce their bodies with steel rods. They reportedly don't experience pain & some even have a euphoric sensation. I believe the same thing happened with the flagellants of the middle ages. This may also explain the way that some Christian martyrs are reported to have endured tortures & painful deaths willingly & without any outward expression of agony. It's not divine assistance, but a natural part of human biology. Humans are pretty amazing creatures.
Interesting! I didn't think of endorphins role. We also need to consider that this phenomenon was introduced by spanish missionaries as self-punishment (we all are guilty of something and expiation is needed... you know). Then, maybe, someone is enjoying to do so as sexual pleasure deriving from physical pain is well known even if a definition of algolagnia was made only at the end of XIX century.

As a matter of fact many devotees are nailed every year (the recordman according to newspaper dit it 34 times)
also the lady of the previous set of pictures did it again the last year.
Here she's ready to be nailed

Attachments

• MaryJaneMmamangon-01.jpg
    MaryJaneMmamangon-01.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 226
Back
Top Bottom