safe place to save pictures

Go to CruxDreams.com
Hi and hola all !
I've been thinking that in case I was kicked out of DA (or, who knows, CF :Laie_22mini:) or my computer passed away I might want to save my (precious) pictures in a safe place on the web. preferably at a low (or zero) cost and preferably pw-protected. Can anyone direct this noob to interesting places ?

Honestly, I'd choose external hard drives over saving stuff on the web. Now, it is a factor of the drive breaking, but to solve that I now use solid state drives. Much more reliable and durable. It also gives you 24/7 access to all of your stuff. Websites can crash or get taken down and, obviously, rely on connenction to the internet. Where as a good old pdf, jpeg, etc file will never go away and can be infinitely copied to other places.

Also, in the spirit of honestly, an admitted downside to hard drives is cost. Forgot to add that to the above. However, how much is your data worth to you? lol
I had a five terabyte drive that was under $150 where as the solid state I'm using now that is 2 TB was over 200.
Worth every single cent and it's the only thing I will ever use going forward. :)

Hi and hola all !
I've been thinking that in case I was kicked out of DA (or, who knows, CF :Laie_22mini:) or my computer passed away I might want to save my (precious) pictures in a safe place on the web. preferably at a low (or zero) cost and preferably pw-protected. Can anyone direct this noob to interesting places ?
So, I also use an external hard drive for all pictures. Only the squirrels are on my actual hard drive in the computer. My other backup files are also on the external drive.

Or have two USB drives if one fails. Depends on how paranoid one are :) I have a NAS + USB which is a backup of that. I don't have them online.
I plan on buying a backup for the one I have. I'm paranoid as hell. lol Had one break on me before and lost everything on it. I'd hate to loose what I have now. It represents thousands of hours of "stuff and things" that I spent a long time accumulating.

I saving nothing of any value on the drive that contains the OS. Everything is saved to an external 500gb HD, and that is backed up on another 6 terabyte external HD. I do have some files also backed up on solids state plug in drive, but I hate the time it takes transfer files to it.

I would not even consider any form of online storage... for anything. I don't trust it's security, or its reliability. The 'cloud' isn't a magical vault that only you can access, it's hard drives and servers and don't kid yourself, whoever owns them can look at your data any time they want.
External drives are a bit expensive, but as is said above... how much value do you put on what you've collected and the time you spent collecting it.

The 6tb ext. HD I bought recently was around $115 with shipping. It's more space than I'll ever use probably, so a smaller and less expensive one would likely meet most people's needs.

Back
Top Bottom