Saint Eulalia Day

Go to CruxDreams.com
Today,the 12th February,is apparently St.Eulalia Day,as this was the date that she passed away.
For the benefit of those who aren't familiar(!!),with the legend of Saint Eulalia,here's a brief rundown,(Courtesy of Wikepedia)....
Eulalia,of Barcelona. (Hispania)
Born,A.D 290 Died,A.D 303 Canonised A.D 644.
She was a Roman Christian Virgin,who was subjected to various unpleasant tortures,(on the orders of the tyrant Roman Emperor Diocletian), because she
refused to decant her religious beliefs....
Amongst the 13,(yes,THIRTEEN),tortures suffered,were:-
Rape,being placed in a Barrel lined with Knives,Flogging,Breast-torture/removal,Crucifixion,(on an 'X' Cross),another Crucifixion*,in the Snow
(on a 'T' cross),and finally Decapitation,after being forcibly removed from the second Cruxing.
*Apparently she was supposedly burnt on a Stake,instead,the details are a bit vague..... :-??
The shocking thing was that,the poor girl was ONLY 12,(or 13),years old !!
She is the Co-patron Saint of Barcelona,as well as the Patron Saint,of Sailors.
Saint Eulalia,we salute you.
Cheers Baracus

Yes indeed, today is the Feast of St Eulalia of Barcelona. Thanks Baracus (and others who've sent me greetings).
Whether E of Barcelona is different from Eulalia of Merida (Emerita Augusta, in Extremadura in SW Spain) is an argument I shan't get into, it's just nice to have 2 name-days (E of Merida is Dec 10th).

My poem that's posted on the Coffee Shop thread is about E of Merida, who comes across (especially in Prudentius's poem on her, Peristephanon III) as a sparky kid, much more of a character than most plaster saints. She too was 12 or 13 (yes, shocking, but many virgin martyrs were young adolescents - Agatha was much the same age, Agnes a little older - that was when Roman girls were married off, provoking a crisis for Christian girls facing marriage to pagans). She was such a cheeky tomboy her parents put her in a safe house in the mountains to try to keep her out of trouble when Christians were being persecuted, but she escaped, made her way back to town and harangued the magistrate.

She was dealt with according to routine procedures - less elaborate than the Barcelona version, but enlivened by the girl's impudent "jokes" as she was being tortured:

> She was scourged, and thanked her Torturers for "writing the praises of God" on her skin (purple ink on calfskin was reserved for sycophantic addresses to the Emperor)
> She was torn with hooks (presumably having been stretched on the eculeus, Little Horse, a kind of Rack), and thanked her Torturers for "carving the Cross of Christ" on her breasts
> She was roasted with burning braziers - didn't crack any more jokes, but shook her long hair so it caught fire and ended her suffering
> Her body was then tossed out on the forum pavement as a warning to others, but a snow shower from the mountains hid her, as a white dove flew away bearing her spirit to Heaven.

As well as my longish poem, I've summed up her story in a little jingle:

Eulalia's body's striped with purple prose,
Each little titty carved like a hot-cross-bun -
At thirteen years old martyrdom is fun,
She'll dance a strip-tease for us while it snows!

Saint Julia's Day

Today, 22nd May, is the feast of St Julia (Santa Julia, Sainte Julie) of Corsica.

Not many christian virgin martyrs were crucified -
Julia (like Eulalia of Barcelona) is one of that exclusive band!
This is an edited version of the (clumsily translated) account of her passion on Wikipedia:

Julia was a Carthaginian girl who was was sold as a slave, probably after Gaiseric captured Carthage in 439. It is known that he disposed of many recalcitrant Catholics in this way, especially women. As a young and strong female, Julia would have brought a good price for the Vandal slave-traders.

Even though her master, Eusebius, was a pagan, Julia followed St Paul's instruction, 'Servants, in all things obey your masters...'. He was amazed at her devotion to serving him. When her duties were done and she was allowed a little time off, she spent her spare time reading or praying. She grew pale and thin from fasting despite the threats and blandishments of her master, but her mind was intent on Heaven.

Eusebius was apparently a Syrian merchant. On a voyage to Gaul with a valuable cargo, his galley anchored off Corsica for the night. From a distance he saw that the great annual bull-sacrifice was about to be conducted by the pagans and immediately disembarked with his people to attend.

While they were celebrating and getting drunk it was reported to the Tribune of Corsica, Felix of Sagona, that there was a girl in the ship who derided the worship of the gods. He asked Eusebius, "Why didn't all who are with you come down to worship with us? I hear there's a girl with you who sneers at the names of our gods." Eusebius replied "I couldn't shift that girl from the superstition of the Christians or bring her round to our religion by threatening. If she weren't so damned useful to me, such a faithful slave, I'd have already had her tortured."

Then Felix gave him a choice: "Either make her give offerings to our gods, or give her to me. You can have whichever four of my slavegirls please you best, or else the price you paid for her." Eusebius replied: "If you offered me all you possess it still wouldn't equal value of her service!"

Why did Felix not just demand the girl with his Tribunal authority? Eusebius was a citizen, and the penalty for disrespecting the rights of Roman citizens was severe. The girl was the property of Eusebius, he could do as he liked with her. On the other hand disrespecting the state gods was a crime punishable by death, which the Tribune could only overlook at his own risk...

So, having consulted his advisors Felix formally opened the banquet, where Eusebius got drunk and fell into a deep sleep. Straightaway "a raging mob of gentiles" boarded the ship and brought Julia ashore. Felix said: "Sacrifice to the gods, girl. I will give your master as much as he likes and free you from your bond of slavery." (the Tribune's power included manumission). However, Julia repled: "My liberty is the service of Christ, whom I serve every day with a pure mind. As for that religion of yours, not only do I not venerate it, I detest it."

The Tribune ordered her to be hit on her face. She said that as Christ was struck for her, why should she not be struck for him? Then he ordered her to be be tortured by hair-pulling, to which she responded in the same way, that if Christ was flogged and crowned with thorns for her, why should she not endure this tearing out of her hair, which she called her "flag of faith?" At that, she was flogged.

Now the "serpent" was beginning to get anxious, so without further delay he ordered "the handmaid of Christ" to be stretched on the patibulum of a cross, nailed and raised up to suffer the Torture of Crucifixion.

Eusebius was awakened just in time to see his beloved slave-girl dying.

Re: Saint Julia's Day

Eulalia said:
Today, 22nd May, is the feast of St Julia (Santa Julia, Sainte Julie) of Corsica.

Not many christian virgin martyrs were crucified -
Julia (like Eulalia of Barcelona) is one of that exclusive band!
This is an edited version of the (clumsily translated) account of her passion on Wikipedia:

Julia was a Carthaginian girl who was was sold as a slave, probably after Gaiseric captured Carthage in 439. It is known that he disposed of many recalcitrant Catholics in this way, especially women. As a young and strong female, Julia would have brought a good price for the Vandal slave-traders.

Even though her master, Eusebius, was a pagan, Julia followed St Paul's instruction, 'Servants, in all things obey your masters...'. He was amazed at her devotion to serving him. When her duties were done and she was allowed a little time off, she spent her spare time reading or praying. She grew pale and thin from fasting despite the threats and blandishments of her master, but her mind was intent on Heaven.

Eusebius was apparently a Syrian merchant. On a voyage to Gaul with a valuable cargo, his galley anchored off Corsica for the night. From a distance he saw that the great annual bull-sacrifice was about to be conducted by the pagans and immediately disembarked with his people to attend.

While they were celebrating and getting drunk it was reported to the Tribune of Corsica, Felix of Sagona, that there was a girl in the ship who derided the worship of the gods. He asked Eusebius, "Why didn't all who are with you come down to worship with us? I hear there's a girl with you who sneers at the names of our gods." Eusebius replied "I couldn't shift that girl from the superstition of the Christians or bring her round to our religion by threatening. If she weren't so damned useful to me, such a faithful slave, I'd have already had her tortured."

Then Felix gave him a choice: "Either make her give offerings to our gods, or give her to me. You can have whichever four of my slavegirls please you best, or else the price you paid for her." Eusebius replied: "If you offered me all you possess it still wouldn't equal value of her service!"

Why did Felix not just demand the girl with his Tribunal authority? Eusebius was a citizen, and the penalty for disrespecting the rights of Roman citizens was severe. The girl was the property of Eusebius, he could do as he liked with her. On the other hand disrespecting the state gods was a crime punishable by death, which the Tribune could only overlook at his own risk...

So, having consulted his advisors Felix formally opened the banquet, where Eusebius got drunk and fell into a deep sleep. Straightaway "a raging mob of gentiles" boarded the ship and brought Julia ashore. Felix said: "Sacrifice to the gods, girl. I will give your master as much as he likes and free you from your bond of slavery." (the Tribune's power included manumission). However, Julia repled: "My liberty is the service of Christ, whom I serve every day with a pure mind. As for that religion of yours, not only do I not venerate it, I detest it."

The Tribune ordered her to be hit on her face. She said that as Christ was struck for her, why should she not be struck for him? Then he ordered her to be be tortured by hair-pulling, to which she responded in the same way, that if Christ was flogged and crowned with thorns for her, why should she not endure this tearing out of her hair, which she called her "flag of faith?" At that, she was flogged.

Now the "serpent" was beginning to get anxious, so without further delay he ordered "the handmaid of Christ" to be stretched on the patibulum of a cross, nailed and raised up to suffer the Torture of Crucifixion.

Eusebius was awakened just in time to see his beloved slave-girl dying.

have a nice day/night with pretty dreams :ymdevil: :ar!

double dutch hansi x_x
but people named me hansi not eusebius also.................................

Special thanks for all the good wishes
at my name-day! :ymparty:

Amen!
Julia O:)

Attachments

• UE_St_Julia-logo-B212837A98-seeklogo_com.gif
    UE_St_Julia-logo-B212837A98-seeklogo_com.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 569
  • silver-st-julia-medal-es9448.jpg
    silver-st-julia-medal-es9448.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 580
  • Damian1.jpg
    Damian1.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 689
Julia said:
What is this ?

Unió Esportiva Sant Julià is an Andorran football club, playing in the village of Aixovall in the parish of Sant Julià de Lòria, some 6 km from the capital, Andorra la Vella and 4 km from the Spanish border. (so says Wikip)

Looking for St Julia images I came across this, on the website of Darinah, a Czech photographer http://www.darinah.wgz.cz/saintesses
Not erotically sensational, but his idea of getting his girl models to choose a saint or 'saintess' they'd identify with strongly, to create a posito, a Latin American style 'bringing to life' of the saint appeals to me at least, the results are quite interesting...

Attachments

• St Julia.jpg
    St Julia.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 682
Thank you, Soulsister,

for the interesting information!

Cheers,
Julia

Julia said:
Thank you, Soulsister,

for the interesting information!

Cheers,
Julia

soulsisters????????? not vagabonds :ymdevil: :ymdevil:

Today, Dec 10th, is the Feast of St Eulalia of Merida (Emerita Augusta, in Extremadura in SW Spain).

I'll take it as an opportunity to bring together a few things about her that have already appeared on this or other threads.

Whether E of Mérida is different from Eulalia of Barcelona is an argument I shan't get into, it's just nice to have 2 name-days

(E of Barcelona is Feb 12th).
I took her as "my" saint as soon as I first read about her, in a book belonging to my "churchy" great-aunt .

She was such a cheeky tomboy her parents put her in a safe house in the mountains to try to keep her out of trouble when Christians were being persecuted, but she escaped, made her way back to town and harangued the magistrate.
She was dealt with according to routine procedures - less elaborate than the Barcelona version, but enlivened by the girl's impudent "jokes" as she was being tortured:
> She was scourged, and thanked her Torturers for "writing the praises of God" on her skin - purple ink on calfskin was reserved for sycophantic addresses to the Emperor;
> She was torn with hooks, presumably having been stretched on the eculeus, Little Horse, a kind of Rack, and thanked her Torturers for "carving the Cross of Christ" on her breasts;
> She was roasted with burning braziers - didn't crack any more jokes, but shook her long hair so it caught fire and ended her suffering;
> Her body was then tossed out on the forum pavement as a warning to others, but a snow shower from the mountains hid her, as a white dove flew away bearing her spirit to Heaven.

The idea of a girl like I was then, being scourged, racked, torn with hooks and roasted to death while she went on being spunky and cheeky to her Tormentors filled me with delight!.

From the legend of Theresa of Avila:
As a young girl, she had read all the ancient tales of female Christian martyrs like Eulalia and Leocadia, Barbara and Juliana... She had always been seeking for the details of their cruel tortures. She had learned about the flogging and the iron hooks that had torn their naked skin, and about the torches they had been burned with... The young girl was so impressed by these tales of martyrdom, that she began to fantasize about leaving her parents, going to the pagan Moors and sharing a similar fate of torment and violation...

southerncross.jpg

Eulalia

Far west, in a safe house among the hills
above Emérita,
a young girl stirs.

It’s time now.

Slips from between the sheets,
pulls on her playclothes,
tiptoes the back way out.

The old dog does not bark,
nuzzles her known thighs.
she kneels to pat goodbye –

then, quick, across the yard,
skilled limbs, lithe up the climbing-tree,
swing to the wall,
then leap –

Ow!
Bruised toe, grazed knees,
they’re nothing.

Look for the path,
the way she must follow – hurry!
Sheep-track above the road –
stick to it.

Never mind stones,
boggy bits, thorns –
those legs can take some scratching.

Moon drops. Dark.
Look to the east,
That light cleft in the hills…

II

In half-light before dawn,
spread out beneath her,
August Emérita’s rigid geometry
of pain.

Forum. Praetorium,
where she must face
the men in uniform.

Smoke hangs in the expectant air
above the barracks.
Slaves in the arena sweep away
last night’s blood-saturated sand.

III

Few in the early morning busy
notice - a slave-girl, probably,
on mistress-errands.

One lad with goats to herd
whistles. She grins at him,
and scampers on

into the gate-throng, jostling through
the narrow streets,
where market-folk
are setting up their stalls.

She grabs a peach, darts
down an alleyway remembered well,
into the Forum.

Perched on a plinth,
her bare legs swinging
while she sucks the juicy flesh
waiting …

IV

Now a commotion,
soldiers clear the way:
the Tribune-Martial!

Up, hurls the peach-stone,
“Hey! You’ve forgotten me!”

“You’ve slaughtered all the grown-ups –
I’m a young woman now,
I’ve come to take my turn –
try me!”

“Arrest that brat!”

Tall soldiers run,
she skips down,
dodges to tease them.

Swiftly they trap her,
arms jerked back,
“Hey! That hurt!”

“Little turd!
You’re going to pay for this!”

Face slapped,
“You understand?”
“Yep!” “Call me sir!”
“Yes, sir.”

“She’s had it now, poor kid!”
she hears a woman say,
as she’s frog-marched
through those iron-clad doors
Emérita dreads.

V

The interview’s a mere formality:
The girl’s polite, “Yes, sir. No, sir.”
But will not tell
where she’s been hiding,
who’s protected her,
or name her friends.

Her cocky stance, her pout,
her fiery eyes –
dumb insolence!

“Flog her!”

VI

In a dark-shadowed corner, on a bench,
a huge black spider crouches,
waiting –
claw-tip
on each of its thin legs -

the Scourge!

Eulalia’s not seen one before, but
“That’s for me!” she thinks,
and strips herself.

What chemistry explodes
between the martyr and her Torturers
as they inspect
her fire-flecked nakedness!

Now to the whipping-post.
The ring’s so high
she’ll have to stand on tip-toe.

Breast-buds press wood worn smooth
by countless sweating bodies’
tarantella.[ii]

Wrists bound,
iron bangles biting to the bone.
Gripping the stake
she glances back.

A man,
almost as bare as she is,
stroking the Scourge.

Too late for tears Eulalia,
your calf-skin’s glistening, ready to record
the purple praises of your God![iii]

VII

The Tribune frowns.
“She’s dangerous,
she made me look a fool –
she must be broken!”

“Come here,
let’s have a look at you!”

Up the long room.
The man in uniform
puts down his glass.

“Your name?”
“Eulalia, sir.”

Her white teeth flash
a half-defiant smile;
dark, proud, unflinching eyes
meet his investigative gaze.

“H’m. You’re a pretty girl –
nice legs.
Show me your hands, let’s see
what they’ve already done to you.”

She winces as he holds
her fingers, stripped of their nails,
still red, raw, oozing...

Turn around!

She feels him lift her crumpled skirt,
inspect her well-thrashed thighs,
fingers explore
her blood-soaked underwear.

“Good hiding! Anything else?”
“No, just the usual”
“Still virgin?” “Mm.”

She blushes, quivers,
knows what that means.

“Good!
Youngsters like this
can put up quite a fight –
my boys will have some fun!

Very well then.
Finish the paperwork,
get her declared a slave -
Then we can do
just what we like with her!

Go now, Eulalia!
We’ll meet again –
I’m looking forward to it!”

VIII

Now the young gymnast
lets herself be stretched,
swung and flung over beam and bar,

till taut she knows
the least touch of the Torturer’s hand on the wheel must send
the spine-split spasm-shock of death
screaming through her strained frame –

but pause.
Brown eyes, defiant still, watch men
preparing instruments,
sharp hooks, a pair of pincers, burning irons …

The Torturer stands close,
he idly flicks
her nipple with his nail.

Eulalia sighs,
acknowledging a power more strong than chains
that binds her to this fate.

The men are ready now,
her young breasts ready too,
firm for the double cross of Christ
she as a girl must bear.[iv]

IX

“Stand here,
arms up –
good girl.
Now chain her up,
make sure they’re tight!”

Resting her tired, tousled head
against her aching arms,
big eyes gaze down
to scan the crowd -
word’s got round,
men gather to gloat.

X

Irons for her ankles now.
She lifts her leg -
strange pleasure
thrills through her thighs,
sensing her racked and mutilated girlhood
eyed by so many men.

A boy,
sees and responds.
thrusting his hips,
flaunting his bulging manhood.

She looks in his eyes-
proud, insolent.

Between the girl and boy there burns
nothing like love,
but yet she catches her breath,

Gently, she moves for him,
as she tests out
her helplessness-

He sees the little quiver of her branded breasts,
her nipples firm,
her lips half-blowing him
a kiss,

and moves towards her
slowly.

Stretched like a butterfly
trapped on the spider’s web
of cruel desire...

It’s nice, this nakedness...

XI

“Legs open!”
“Wider!”
Thighs apart.
Click!

Defenceless now.

Shutting those heavy eyes,
she smells and hears
what they’re preparing for her…

Glowing, the blistering brazier -
men using hooks
place it between her quivering calves.

Searing heat seizes her sensitive skin,
her soft pubescence smoulders,
sautés her girl-sex.

She dances well –
her lithe trunk, supple hips, athletic thighs,
twist, kick, sashay,
young soldiers cheer and jeer.

Tortured,
tossing her smouldering locks,
begins to gasp,

“Oh God, why don’t they kill me,
finish me off?”

“God, let me die!”

Eulalia’s God is merciless -
two hours or more
He lets her smouldering incense rise,
her shrill shrieks praise Him.

XII

Dawn. Quivering yet
her oozing body’s tossed
out in the cruel cold wind -
the Forum pavement’s icy.

Snow from the mountains softness
cools her still-smouldering flesh,
the twitching ebbs.

A white dove wings away
through slowly circling snow.[v]

Emerita Augusta, now Mérida.
[ii] Tarantella: a dance supposed to help cure the victim of a tarantula’s bite – or at least to cope with the pain! – so exploiting the idea of the Scourge as a huge spider.
[iii] Recalling Eulalia’s impudent joke about her Torturers ‘writing the praises of God’ on her skin.
[iv] The allusion is to the martyr’s ‘joke’ about her Torturers carving the cross of Christ on her breasts with their Hooks.
[v] So, according to her legend, Eulalia’s spirit was seen to leave her.

Today,the 12th February,is apparently St.Eulalia Day,as this was the date that she passed away.
For the benefit of those who aren't familiar(!!),with the legend of Saint Eulalia,here's a brief rundown,(Courtesy of Wikepedia)....
Eulalia,of Barcelona. (Hispania)
Born,A.D 290 Died,A.D 303 Canonised A.D 644.
She was a Roman Christian Virgin,who was subjected to various unpleasant tortures,(on the orders of the tyrant Roman Emperor Diocletian), because she
refused to decant her religious beliefs....
Amongst the 13,(yes,THIRTEEN),tortures suffered,were:-
Rape,being placed in a Barrel lined with Knives,Flogging,Breast-torture/removal,Crucifixion,(on an 'X' Cross),another Crucifixion*,in the Snow
(on a 'T' cross),and finally Decapitation,after being forcibly removed from the second Cruxing.
*Apparently she was supposedly burnt on a Stake,instead,the details are a bit vague..... :-??
The shocking thing was that,the poor girl was ONLY 12,(or 13),years old !!
She is the Co-patron Saint of Barcelona,as well as the Patron Saint,of Sailors.
Saint Eulalia,we salute you.
Cheers Baracus
tears roll down my eyes agter reading her sufferings

searching for something new to say for St Eulalia (of Merida)'s day,
I came across this rather disturbing item on deviantart

los__eulalia_by_anch.png

(I can only post this small image, the original exceeds the limit here,
it's at http://taminki.deviantart.com/art/LoS-Eulalia-410983021)
This is (some of) what it says about 'eulalia' (with a few comments from this one! :p)

[Name] Eulalia
[Age] ??? (appears around late teens to mid 20's) nice thought, but I appear a bit more than that ;)

[Gender] Female

[Personality]
Uncooperative: She dislikes to be told what to do. She envies the power of authority; therefore, she refuses to cooperate with authority (Lord Envy is absolutely the only exception) eul loves being a slavegirl!

Complainer: Naturally, being one consumed by enviousness, she complains a lot, but usually her complaints are expressed mentally I hope that's not the impression I give - I've got plenty of vices, but I don't think envy or whingeing are the most obvious ones?

Observer: She tends to observe things a lot, which makes her capable of being a good listener I'd like to think that's true

Sadist: Maybe not to the extreme, but she likes to see the envied feeling any sort of pain, whether it being humiliation, physical, mental, etc. Quite the opposite, Masochist to the bone - I envy the girls we see on CF feeling pain, humiliation etc.

Selfish: She doesn't enjoy sharing things much, but she will share some things at times again, I hope I do better than that, enjoy sharing my poems and stories here

Hypocritical: Often contradicts herself quite possibly :rolleyes:, though I hope not hypocritically

Playful: She can be a bit playful and enjoy herself at times, but only with other demons she absolutely feels comfortable around (will rarely ever happen) well I enjoy myself a lot with the demons on CF, very frequently happens!

Prideful: She absolutely hates feeling humiliated I absolutely love it! At least, in my slavegirl mode.

searching for something new to say for St Eulalia (of Merida)'s day,
I came across this rather disturbing item on deviantart

View attachment 93399

(I can only post this small image, the original exceeds the limit here,
it's at http://taminki.deviantart.com/art/LoS-Eulalia-410983021)
This is (some of) what it says about 'eulalia' (with a few comments from this one! :p)

[Name] Eulalia
[Age] ??? (appears around late teens to mid 20's) nice thought, but I appear a bit more than that ;)

[Gender] Female

[Personality]
Uncooperative: She dislikes to be told what to do. She envies the power of authority; therefore, she refuses to cooperate with authority (Lord Envy is absolutely the only exception) eul loves being a slavegirl!

Complainer: Naturally, being one consumed by enviousness, she complains a lot, but usually her complaints are expressed mentally I hope that's not the impression I give - I've got plenty of vices, but I don't think envy or whingeing are the most obvious ones?

Observer: She tends to observe things a lot, which makes her capable of being a good listener I'd like to think that's true

Sadist: Maybe not to the extreme, but she likes to see the envied feeling any sort of pain, whether it being humiliation, physical, mental, etc. Quite the opposite, Masochist to the bone - I envy the girls we see on CF feeling pain, humiliation etc.

Selfish: She doesn't enjoy sharing things much, but she will share some things at times again, I hope I do better than that, enjoy sharing my poems and stories here

Hypocritical: Often contradicts herself quite possibly :rolleyes:, though I hope not hypocritically

Playful: She can be a bit playful and enjoy herself at times, but only with other demons she absolutely feels comfortable around (will rarely ever happen) well I enjoy myself a lot with the demons on CF, very frequently happens!

Prideful: She absolutely hates feeling humiliated I absolutely love it! At least, in my slavegirl mode.
thx for your reminder................we need it

thanks Tree, nice comfy sack and shiny new shackles,
what more could a beanslave want on her name-day?​

Back
Top Bottom