Short Clips/videos On Cruxdreams

Go to CruxDreams.com
Hi together,

i´m a member of cruxdreams and the short clips/videos are exciting. How can i get the full version of a serie? Is it necessary to mount all clips together with a Special Software Programm?

Thanks for a reply!

You can download these videos to the playlist and watch a movie.
For example, in Windows Media Player.

Hi together,

i´m a member of cruxdreams and the short clips/videos are exciting. How can i get the full version of a serie? Is it necessary to mount all clips together with a Special Software Programm?

Thanks for a reply!
G'day Petraherz,

I hope my attempt to describe what I do/use in combining two or more clips into one viewable clip before burning to DVD is helpful.

BURNING CLIPS to DVD:-
I often compile several video clips together to burn them as one DVD. I use '4Media DVD Creator' as it will usually burn a selection of clips in different formats (e.g. .avi, .mov, mp4 etc.) without having to first convert them all into one format, all prior to burning them to DVD. There are other programs but I've found this software can handle multiple source clip formats with ease.
It will also allow some compression of content (shown on a 'content total' bar) to fit onto a blank DVD - see below
- GREEN = ≤4 GB - no compression required
- YELLOW = compression possible i.e. ≈ 4+ but ≤5 GB - viewing quality not noticeably compromised
- RED = compression not recommended i.e. ≥5 GB - remove clip/s to reduce total to GREEN or YELLOW limits

TRIMMING (only) UNWANTED CLIP CONTENT:-
Many clips have annoying studio promos or logos before the start of the actual video content I wish to burn. Here I use 'Xilisoft Video Cutter 2' to trim the beginning of the clip to the nett content I want. I don't know how to trim the end of a clip but logic suggests it is possible, my lack of technical sophistication being the only impediment at present.

EDITING CLIP/s CONTENT:-
Another useful software program I have is '4Media Video Editor 2'. This program will JOIN several clips, SPLIT one clip into several shorter clips or CUT (trim?) a clip. However, if I want to trim the beginning of a clip ( or several clips before burning them sequentially to DVD, thereby ensuring a more pleasing viewing experience), I simply use the Xilisoft program, then drag the trimmed clips, in the desired sequence, into the '4Media DVD Creator' window.

P.S. Cost for each program is around $30 to $40 BUT this will be much cheaper if you live in the U.S. as American software companies blatantly RIP OFF all consumers on this planet who DO NOT live in the U.S.
Consequently, the Australian Government is currently demanding a "Please Explain" from the offending "robber barons" (in the Court of International Trade) - they will prosecute the offending companies, Adobe, Microsoft, Apple etc. being chief among thieves.

P.P.S. My choice of video editing software is somewhat constrained by my computer platform being Macintosh; IBM clone PC users will have a wider selection.

Warm regards, Ranger 1.

I use MPEG Streamclip (from download at http://www.squared5.com/). Much videos can play on this program, and I can cut and paste and join different clips. It is free program.
Hello Poem21045,

Some other members have also praised the versatility of 'MPEG Streamclip' but I cannot work out how to do more than play clips in many, different formats. I can play clips in a wide range of formats, but that's all I've ever been able to work out how to do. I cannot work out how to cut, paste or join different clips.

E.g., how do I set In / Out markers to "Trim or Cut", "Select In/Out", "Go to Keyframe" (under Edit menu) etc.?
The 'instructions' contained in "MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2 User's Guide I find impossible to understand.

I agree this free software is a wonderful tool but I just don't know how to utilise most of its functions. Apologies.

Regards, Ranger 1.

i'm already more than 10 years using videolan (vlc).........and had never the need for another one

Thanks for all your warm replies, now i have enough to work on your descriptions,

Regards back to you,

petraherz

The simplest and cheapest method to combine multiple files (mpg or mpeg video clips) is to use the copy / b command in MSDos (run CMD in Windows XP or W7).
This command copies several binary files into one file. All files must be in the same directory.
I tried it and it works perfectly.

Here's the full explanation.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/71161/en-us

If you want to convert AVI/MPG/MP4, MKV etc video clips to DVD and you're running Windows (yuk!) then the program you need is DVD Flick. It's completely free and can handle clips of different formats, as well as compiling simple menus.

You don't need to join clips before encoding as it's perfectly capable of joining them itself as it encodes, placing a chapter mark at the start of each clip.

In 99% of cases you will end up with a video_ts folder containing everything you need and by default it will compress on the fly (ie. during the encoding process) to fit a 4.3Gb DVDR. Occasionally, if you're trying to encode large projects, you may get a slight space overrun that will require you to run the finished product through DVD Shrink 3.2 to make sure it fits.

http://www.dvdflick.net/

As usual, all the very best software is completely free :)

For anyone still using Windows, this is just about the very best option as it's incredibly easy to use, supports almost every video codec on the planet and does pretty much everything for you automatically, including actually burning the disc as well if you wish.

If you want to convert AVI/MPG/MP4, MKV etc video clips to DVD and you're running Windows (yuk!) then the program you need is DVD Flick. It's completely free and can handle clips of different formats, as well as compiling simple menus.

You don't need to join clips before encoding as it's perfectly capable of joining them itself as it encodes, placing a chapter mark at the start of each clip.

In 99% of cases you will end up with a video_ts folder containing everything you need and by default it will compress on the fly (ie. during the encoding process) to fit a 4.3Gb DVDR. Occasionally, if you're trying to encode large projects, you may get a slight space overrun that will require you to run the finished product through DVD Shrink 3.2 to make sure it fits.

http://www.dvdflick.net/

As usual, all the very best software is completely free :)

For anyone still using Windows, this is just about the very best option as it's incredibly easy to use, supports almost every video codec on the planet and does pretty much everything for you automatically, including actually burning the disc as well if you wish.

Hello Dark Princess 69,

From your "Windows (yuk!) comment above, I guess you may be a Mac user too. Wonderful. Thank you for your advice re GIMP and its capabilities; I'd never heard of it.

I've now downloaded/installed GIMP 2.8.10 and opened a Photoshop file containing layers with GIMP. Many of my files are PSE layered files via which means I can manipulate various files as required. The GIMP on screen presence seems impressive and seems to be adaptable. In PS Elements 8 ©2009, I have the 'Colour Swatches', 'Layers' and 'Effects' windows on the right of the main work window (tools icons vertical bar being on the left).

Can you suggest how I can get the layers and ,if possible, the effects dock able windows to display simultaneously in GIMP, please?

Warm regards, Ranger 1.

P.S. As your advice re free graphics software has been a boon to me and others here, perhaps I can return the favour by mentioning a free equivalent to Microsoft Office in its entirety. The free suite is Apache OpenOffice which has all the functionality and interoperability with MS .xls, .doc files etc. Further, there is a free online users forum which I've found to be courteous and helpful in the few queries I asked there. I hope this helps.

Hello Dark Princess 69,

From your "Windows (yuk!) comment above, I guess you may be a Mac user too. Wonderful. Thank you for your advice re GIMP and its capabilities; I'd never heard of it.

I've now downloaded/installed GIMP 2.8.10 and opened a Photoshop file containing layers with GIMP. Many of my files are PSE layered files via which means I can manipulate various files as required. The GIMP on screen presence seems impressive and seems to be adaptable. In PS Elements 8 ©2009, I have the 'Colour Swatches', 'Layers' and 'Effects' windows on the right of the main work window (tools icons vertical bar being on the left).
Apache OpenOffice

Hello Dark Princess 69,

Can you suggest how I can get the layers and ,if possible, the effects dock able windows to display simultaneously in GIMP, please?

Warm regards, Ranger 1.

P.S. As your advice re free graphics software has been a boon to me and others here, perhaps I can return the favour by mentioning a free equivalent to Microsoft Office in its entirety. The free suite is Apache OpenOffice which has all the functionality and interoperability with MS .xls, .doc files etc. Further, there is a free online users forum which I've found to be courteous and helpful in the few queries I asked there. I hope this helps.

Actually, I'm a Linux user (Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" - 64-bit Cinnamon Edition on my main PC and the 64-bit XFCE version on my netbook which doesn't quite have the power to run the Cinnamon Desktop smoothly)

Now if I'm understanding your question correctly, you want the layers dock and some other dockable window to be visible at the same time. This should be achievable as you can position the dockable toolboxes pretty much anywhere. By default, the layers and brushes toolboxes are combined on the right side of the screen but you should be able to move any docked toolbox by dragging its tab around.

For example, if you want the layers and channels to be visible at the same time, select the channels toolbox and drag it down on top of the brushes tab and it will relocate to the lower section of the right hand dock window. Now you can select Layers on the top section and still have the channels showing down the bottom.

In fact you can undock any of these tabs and place them anywhere on the screen, so you can totally customise your workspace even more flexibly than Photoshop allows you to do.

As with all things, a bit of experimentation will soon get you familiar with the way the GUI works.

As with all things open-source, there's an active user community out there and a bit of googling will get you any help you need, just as with Photoshop :)

Remember if you like it, spread the word - The more people using open-source software, the better :)
Yep that's a cool Office substitute, or you can use my own choice which is Libre Office (which, by the way, comes as standard with Linux Mint - as does GIMP, Firefox, Thunderbird and loads of other stuff that I used to use back in my Windows days)

http://www.libreoffice.org/download

There you go - no more expensive rolling subscriptions and/or cloud-based crap from Micro$hit...

The Princess sticks it to The Man !
:mad::cool::D

Last edited:
Actually, I'm a Linux user (Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" - 64-bit Cinnamon Edition on my main PC and the 64-bit XFCE version on my netbook which doesn't quite have the power to run the Cinnamon Desktop smoothly)

Now if I'm understanding your question correctly, you want the layers dock and some other dockable window to be visible at the same time. This should be achievable as you can position the dockable toolboxes pretty much anywhere. By default, the layers and brushes toolboxes are combined on the right side of the screen but you should be able to move any docked toolbox by dragging its tab around.

For example, if you want the layers and channels to be visible at the same time, select the channels toolbox and drag it down on top of the brushes tab and it will relocate to the lower section of the right hand dock window. Now you can select Layers on the top section and still have the channels showing down the bottom.

In fact you can undock any of these tabs and place them anywhere on the screen, so you can totally customise your workspace even more flexibly than Photoshop allows you to do.

As with all things, a bit of experimentation will soon get you familiar with the way the GUI works.

As with all things open-source, there's an active user community out there and a bit of googling will get you any help you need, just as with Photoshop :)

Remember if you like it, spread the word - The more people using open-source software, the better :)

Yep that's a cool Office substitute, or you can use my own choice which is Libre Office (which, by the way, comes as standard with Linux Mint - as does GIMP, Firefox, Thunderbird and loads of other stuff that I used to use back in my Windows days)

http://www.libreoffice.org/download

There you go - no more expensive rolling subscriptions and/or cloud-based crap from Micro$hit...

The Princess sticks it to The Man !
:mad::cool::D
Dear Dark Princess,

I apologise for my tardy expression of gratitude for your generous help with GIMP. I've reached the stage where I have the 'Tools' palette displayed to the left of the main window with the 'Layers' palette on the right with the 'Channels' palette below that. Now I need to familiarise myself with the GIMP program.

It is interesting to note that a free, open source, graphics program like GIMP will include a Channels facility but commercial Adobe Photoshop Elements will not. PSE will accommodate a free Channels plug in (Grant's Tools) - but the point remains.

It's comforting to find another Micro$hit (<<< I just love it!) detester out there. In this spirit, I include a photo taken at a Microsoft Convention somewhere, some years ago. Says it all, really!

Warm regards, Ranger 1.

Attachments

• Apple RULES!.png
    Apple RULES!.png
    309.4 KB · Views: 36
Dear Dark Princess,

I apologise for my tardy expression of gratitude for your generous help with GIMP. I've reached the stage where I have the 'Tools' palette displayed to the left of the main window with the 'Layers' palette on the right with the 'Channels' palette below that. Now I need to familiarise myself with the GIMP program.

It is interesting to note that a free, open source, graphics program like GIMP will include a Channels facility but commercial Adobe Photoshop Elements will not. PSE will accommodate a free Channels plug in (Grant's Tools) - but the point remains.

It's comforting to find another Micro$hit (<<< I just love it!) detester out there. In this spirit, I include a photo taken at a Microsoft Convention somewhere, some years ago. Says it all, really!

Warm regards, Ranger 1.

Always happy to help, especially when I can promote the use of open source software at the same time. In many cases you'll find the open source products actually work better and do more than a lot of the commercial stuff, often quite simply because they are free, so the producers don't feel the need to include bugs and hold back on features simply to ensure that you'll buy the next version. Also, because the source code is out there for all to see, and bugs tend to be located and fixed more quickly than you see in commercial software, since there are effectively more people working on the problem.

Once you start using GIMP, you'll find that for the most part, the functionality is much the same as Photoshop, so it's really just a matter of finding where all the menus and toolbox icons are (Every new version of Photoshop seems to move these around too, so this is nothing unusual in of itself).

Much as I still like Photoshop 6 (Which I still run in Linux under WINE), I'm finding myself using GIMP more and more these days as I become more proficient with it, and it continually amazes me as to how good it really is. I've found for many years that the freee stuff is often better than the commercial alternatives, but even I get surprised sometimes when I see just how hard the community has worked to produce a first-class software package and then to let everybody use it for free...

My issues with Microsoft are many and varied. I think it's fair to say that the last version of Windows that was really any good was XP - I know a lot of people out there like Windows 7, but my PC is nearly ten years old and can't even install Win7, much less actually run it, yet Linux Mint runs just fine on it (as did XP to be fair). as for Windows 8, well, I've yet to meet anybody who thinks it's anything other than complete crap. Every time a new version of Windows comes out, you need a new computer to run it on.

This is not the case with Linux (or MacOS for the most part). Then again, Microsoft have significant shares in a number of to big hardware makers such as Intel and AMD, so I guess it's a deliberate ploy to get you to buy new hardware all the time. While modern versions of Linux do have a base specification below which users will run into difficulties getting them to work (32-bit CPUs must have the PAE (Physical Address Extension) feature for example (though geeks could always compile a version from the source code that will run on the older machines) otherwise they won't boot up. This is not really too much of a problem as all modern CPUs have this feature, though sometimes users of really old hardware can get caught out by this, but on the whole, Linux is a great way to breathe new life into an otherwise obsolete computer.

Also, the revelations about NSA spying earlier this year by Edward Snowden has caused a great many people now to distrust software from the big corporations, as you can be pretty sure it all has government back doors incorporated into its code. Windows had an easily-found NSA back door in Windows 95 - subsequent versions have hidden it a bit more effectively, but you can be damn sure that it's still in there somewhere. Again this is where an open source OS like Linux scores heavily - it's pretty hard to incorporate a back door when the source code is available for universal peer review. Not only that, for the really paranoid geek types out there who might fear that a back door has been inserted after the source code has been made available, they can even compile everything themselves from the freely-available source.

The Linux Community talks a lot about this and "The Summer of Snowden", as it's become known, seems to have resulted in a massive spike in users migrating to Linux during that latter half of 2013, most at the expense of Windows (Windows 8 being totally unusable has probably been a major factor in this too), so we now see open source becoming a really important option for users.

I love the idea that Microsoft execs use Macbooks at their press conferences LOL :D

Just a quick update for anyone interested in using GIMP - Issue No.5 of the Official GIMP Magazine is now out. As befits an open-source project, it is of course totally free (though you can purchase a printed copy if you really want) from the GIMP Magazine website, and new users can also find the previous four issues on the same page;

http://gimpmagazine.org/issues/

Also, if you click on the "Meet The GIMP" icon on the right hand side of the page (you may need to scroll down a bit) then you can see all kinds of useful tutorials.

Back
Top Bottom