Slave punishment - "maintenance" or "stick and carrot"?

What is best for keeping a slave in line?

• Punishment for bad behaviour (or mistakes), reward for unusually good, subsistence for expected

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Punishment for bad behaviour, but no reward for good save it's absence

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Regular punishment regardless of behaviour and performance, worse for bad behaviour

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Go to CruxDreams.com
It goes without saying, of course, that a slave's behaviour must be controlled by strict discipline, including harsh punishments for misdeeds and even sometimes mistakes. However, there is some disagreement as to just how harsh such discipline should be, if it should be balanced with some sort of reward besides the lack of punishment for slaves who serve well and loyally, and as I rediscovered recently, if it should be applied only in response to the slave "earning" it or if regular punishment without particular cause creates a more obedient slave. (I will admit up front I am against this notion, feeling that it only devalues hard work and good behaviour in the slave's eyes - though I suppose that can be "balanced" somewhat by making the punishments for misbehaviour extraordinarily more severe.)

(Note that I'm talking here about punishment as a tool to bend one's slaves to one's will. Hurting a slave or making them suffer simply because it pleases the owner is something else, even if similar sorts of desensitisation are possible.)

So what do you all think?

It goes without saying, of course, that a slave's behaviour must be controlled by strict discipline, including harsh punishments for misdeeds and even sometimes mistakes. However, there is some disagreement as to just how harsh such discipline should be, if it should be balanced with some sort of reward besides the lack of punishment for slaves who serve well and loyally, and as I rediscovered recently, if it should be applied only in response to the slave "earning" it or if regular punishment without particular cause creates a more obedient slave. (I will admit up front I am against this notion, feeling that it only devalues hard work and good behaviour in the slave's eyes - though I suppose that can be "balanced" somewhat by making the punishments for misbehaviour extraordinarily more severe.)

(Note that I'm talking here about punishment as a tool to bend one's slaves to one's will. Hurting a slave or making them suffer simply because it pleases the owner is something else, even if similar sorts of desensitisation are possible.)

So what do you all think?
For instance : that slave's 'reward' is not being whipped, while the others are? :confused:

For instance : that slave's 'reward' is not being whipped, while the others are? :confused:
That would be the second option on the poll, and can be considered a milder variant on the first.

(In theory one could also reward good behaviour but not punish bad, but unless the "reward" is drugs all your slaves are addicted to or something I don't really see that working well.)

The obedient slave should escape many torments. In purely human terms, he is worth nothing because he has no rights; however, he has a real market value and has cost his master money.
If any misbehaviour is observed, the punishment must be immediate, exemplary and without appeal. He will be whipped in front of the assembly to set an example and inspire fear and respect in his master.
In the case of extreme misconduct, I will have him crucified.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

The obedient slave should escape many torments. In purely human terms, he is worth nothing because he has no rights; however, he has a real market value and has cost his master money.
If any misbehaviour is observed, the punishment must be immediate, exemplary and without appeal. He will be whipped in front of the assembly to set an example and inspire fear and respect in his master.
In the case of extreme misconduct, I will have him crucified.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Sounds like a plan!

Back
Top Bottom