Smidswater

Go to CruxDreams.com
here's my effort, admi and pk please correct it!

Smidswater is a canal in the old centre of The Hague. It is located between the Lange Voorhout and Prinsessegracht . It's in [Neighbourhood] Buurtschap 2005. The cityside embankment of the quay is also called Smidswater, across the quay is the one called De Nieuwe Uitleg( the New Extension).

The canal gets its name from the stables that were here and the farriers (blacksmiths) who lived here. The stables have been elsewhere since the beginning of the 20th century. There is now an art gallery and there are some parking garages. Several buildings on the Smidswater are from the 17th century. Halfway along Smidswater lived Paul van Vliet.

When the canal was dug in the 17th century, it was named Sand Cut [?], and was part of the defences of The Hague. It is an extension of the Hooigracht which connects it to the Mauritskade ( former Noordersingel ) .

Around 1700, the Prinsessegracht was extended towards Scheveningen. Smidswater lost its defensive function and became a canal .

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice ! It's my "buurt"(neighbourhood) - i used to live on Hooikade ( the hay quay) but locked myself out too many times and got fed up with keeping my bike in the basement, so i moved round the corner and down a level to have a little flat with a garden on the Mauritskade... Its a cute little city, especially on long warm summer nights..,

Last edited by a moderator:
The stables were for the palaces on Lange Voorhout - a lovely L-shaped square lined by lime trees ( and the town planning inspiration for Unter Den Linden) - one of the palaces is now the Escher Museum... One became DH's best hotel - Hotel Des Indes - where all the world's leaders have stayed.... It has a fab cocktail lounge... Hmmm - its 50m away... Nah, i'm drinking my beer in rowing kit and a t-shirt... I dont think that would work!

The stables were for the palaces on Lange Voorhout - a lovely L-shaped square lined by lime trees ( and the town planning inspiration for Unter Den Linden) - one of the palaces is now the Escher Museum... One became DH's best hotel - Hotel Des Indes - where all the world's leaders have stayed.... It has a fab cocktail lounge... Hmmm - its 50m away... Nah, i'm drinking my beer in rowing kit and a t-shirt... I dont think that would work!
perhaps as a member of a student(s') union but for sure an expensive visite

couldn't you pass for one of these sporting celebs that seem to be flooding NL just now?
(oops - not pass for one, you are one! :D)​

Reactions: Pia
Back
Top Bottom