Some Sketches

Go to CruxDreams.com
Scenery-39-1.jpgShe's the one ... if you want to know who betrayed you, Caesar ... it was she, your wife! I recommend we turn her over to the men of my Legion to decide her fate.

Scenery-44-1.jpg All in favor of crucifying her, say aye! Opposed? The ayes have it. Centurion, bring the cross and nails, and don't forget the whip!

Last edited:
Playing with the Construction Kit

It is a great personal sorrow of mine that the 1960 movie Spartacus ended with nobody crucified naked, much less the absurdly hot Jean Simmons.

Attachments

• 2290A910-31D5-4174-BE2A-28E1BE55A6FD.jpeg
    2290A910-31D5-4174-BE2A-28E1BE55A6FD.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 390
I've never found anything more about the German and German-Italian movies made before WW2 except Quo Vadis (which contains few naked scenes), but I have read there was a movie ("The Sinners" in Polish translation; I never found original title) made in 1912 or 1914 starting with the scene of a young girl being crucified by the Romans and stripped naked before the execution. Maybe someone will find more detailed info or some shots.

There certainly are some very early cine films with nude martyrdoms etc., I think even crucifixion -
it wasn't until the 1930s that official censorship of different kinds began to bite hard.
We've seen stills or clips from time to time on the Forums, if anyone has a few,
perhaps they could start a thread 'Crux and cruelty in the early cinema'?

No, it is impossible to find this book now. I have been once upon a time (verbatim: it was some 30 years ago!) in the bookstore and I looked into some book about erotism in the XIX-th and early XX-th centuries, there were info regarding the European "no panties" night clubs and in the next stage the author wrote that in the early twenties there were clubs where the participants wore ancient dress and recreate Roman style feasts, the prostitutes were disguised as slave women etc.etc. and then he described two or three historical silent movies with the scenes of the kind I wrote about above. But I haven't remember the title nor the author of the book and it is rather impossible to find this data today, after so many years.

A scene cut from the 1935 version of Dante's Inferno:
The shot is from the 1924 version. The 1935 remake recycled footage from the earlier film for the Inferno sequence.
It is indeed from the 1924 film. The actress is Pauline Starke (1901-1977). It is one of the most famous iconic nude stills from the silent film era, although I have not seen the scene in the movie itself. It could be a teasing publicity pic (it happens often that the stills or the trailer show more nudity than the movie itself):(.

It is indeed from the 1924 film. The actress is Pauline Starke (1901-1977). It is one of the most famous iconic nude stills from the silent film era, although I have not seen the scene in the movie itself. It could be a teasing publicity pic (it happens often that the stills or the trailer show more nudity than the movie itself):(.

No fair! That sounds like false advertising! :mad:

No fair! That sounds like false advertising! :mad:
(spoiler alert :smilie-devil:)There seems to be some doubt about whether the scene has originally been part of the movie. Some say it was cut out in the (possibly censored and anyway incompletely preserved) versions that survived up to now. In the version I saw, there is only a very brief scene (hardly a second) of whipping, and actually, Starke's character does not go to hell in the story.:firedevil:

Australian swimming star Annette Kellerman appeared nude in A Daughter of the Gods back in 1916. Another lost film, but somebody made a YouTube short consisting of publicity pics and surviving stills.

This was not Mary Pickford territory.

Attachments

• A85D95F9-5942-40C2-806A-431F4C6ED0F8.jpeg
    A85D95F9-5942-40C2-806A-431F4C6ED0F8.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 272
Back
Top Bottom