Strange or Funny (or Both) Book Titles and Covers - Real and Fake

Go to CruxDreams.com
Gently admonish your child after they unexpectedly caught you in the basement...
b881d49a96a48f785a2d91d43c99284b.jpg
When you've been tricked into babysitting that niece of nephew, you hate...
b9527e04fdbd077897cb34f5592d8b92.jpg
Several following nights of screaming nightmares ensures you won't be asked again!

Vital Advice when Dad gets out the hedge-trimmer...
d8cb78ad8de46713914bb429d72e00fd.jpg

Of course you are right, Eulalia. But I have to confess when I read the post first, that after 2 books with the name "Berenstain Bears" it was only a name without any meaning to me. That it rings jewish didn´t occur to me.
Yes, it may just be chance that Bernstein is familiar to me as a Jewish name,
and I automatically read the scene in that, grim, way,
only when I thought about it did I realise perhaps that wasn't the idea.

Hm - I suppose you can read it another way,
but the sort of camp kids named Berenstain might have been going off to
is beyond a joke.
I am so sorry, no offence was intended and I honestly, I swear, never thought of it that way. I was scrambling around this morning and didn't take time to think. But you are, of course, right, Eulalia, if seen that way, it goes off far beyond a bad joke. Perhaps you should delete it.
I do post too much without thinking (and maybe too much in total). I need to step back and be much more careful.
Again, I am most sorry to any offended.

I am so sorry, no offence was intended and I honestly, I swear, never thought of it that way. I was scrambling around this morning and didn't take time to think. But you are, of course, right, Eulalia, if seen that way, it goes off far beyond a bad joke. Perhaps you should delete it.
I do post too much without thinking (and maybe too much in total). I need to step back and be much more careful.
Now, that proves that both of you are no bots but real people :)

Of course you are right, Eulalia. But I have to confess when I read the post first, that after 2 books with the name "Berenstain Bears" it was only a name without any meaning to me. That it rings jewish didn´t occur to me.
People frequently mispronounce/misspell the name as "Berenstein", probably because names ending in "stein" are a lot more common than "stain". According to his son, Stan Berenstain had this problem his whole life beginning in elementary school. Stan Berenstain, who created the series with his wife Jan, was born Stanley Melvin Berenstain and was raised Jewish; so the original family name may have been Berenstein.
The whole thing is one of the classic examples of a false memory phenomenon known as the Mandela Effect.

Oh, I realised it wasn't Bernstein, but assumed it was one of many variants of that,
English speakers pronounce the final syllable variously - steen, stine, stain.
I see that Bernstein, 'burnt stone', is the German word for amber, and that's the sense as an Ashkenazi name,
though there were also a couple of places in Germany (one now Pelczyce in Poland)
named Bernstein, and as a non-Jewish surname it would be from one of those.

No harm PrPr, I don't think we need delete it - it's prompted a little bit of sensible discussion,
the way I saw it was certainly not what you, and I surely not the creators of the image, intended,
and no-one has complained.

Back
Top Bottom