The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I just listened to Jeannie C. Reily's 'Harper Valley PTA'. I doubt I was 10 when it came out and certainly didn't understand why my mom thought my virgin ears were being assaulted...

I'm sure there's a more on target thread, but I'm too lazy to search.

Henryk Hektor Siemiradzki was a Polish Rome-based painter. He was particularly known for his depictions of scenes from the ancient Greek-Roman world. Among his works are Nero's Torches which has been manipulated on CF several times
Siemiradski_Fackeln.jpg
And the Sword Dancer which evokes ideas in my story Belly Dancer
1280px-1881_Siemiradzki_Tanz_der_Schwerter_anagoria.jpg

I recently ran across this marvelous painting,
Christian Dirce by Henryk Siemiradzki
Siemiradzki_Christian_Dirce.jpg
Here he is illustrating a story told by the Roman historian (muckraker?) Suetonius about Nero. Nero, in his interest in myth and theater, decreed that the story of Dirce be re enacted in the amphitheater using a young Christian maiden. In the Myth, Dirce, queen of Thebes is put to death by being tied to the horns of a bull and smashed against rocks. In his final great historical painting, Siemiradzki depicts the end of this ruthless spectacle - the moment when the pleased Emperor examines the lifeless girl and the fallen beast. One feels sorry for the bull.
On a literary note, the artists friend, Henryk Sienkiewcz was author of the great novel, Quo Vadis, and includes in it a similar scene where the christian girl Ligia is tied to the back of an ox.

Any girls here want to volunteer for the part?

It was in trilogy of Henryk Sienkiewicz "Pan Wołodyjowski" "Potop" and "Ogniem i Mieczem" I can give not correct the order of the titles, all last movie i watch many many Times cuz was fav of the trilogy, and also watch second too, but i cannot start watch first cuz when i see its too old movie and the effect even sound was little crap, also this book "Potop" one of the biggest books i even read.

I'm sure there's a more on target thread, but I'm too lazy to search.

Henryk Hektor Siemiradzki was a Polish Rome-based painter. He was particularly known for his depictions of scenes from the ancient Greek-Roman world. Among his works are Nero's Torches which has been manipulated on CF several times
View attachment 736116
And the Sword Dancer which evokes ideas in my story Belly Dancer
View attachment 736117

I recently ran across this marvelous painting,
Christian Dirce by Henryk Siemiradzki
View attachment 736113
Here he is illustrating a story told by the Roman historian (muckraker?) Suetonius about Nero. Nero, in his interest in myth and theater, decreed that the story of Dirce be re enacted in the amphitheater using a young Christian maiden. In the Myth, Dirce, queen of Thebes is put to death by being tied to the horns of a bull and smashed against rocks. In his final great historical painting, Siemiradzki depicts the end of this ruthless spectacle - the moment when the pleased Emperor examines the lifeless girl and the fallen beast. One feels sorry for the bull.
On a literary note, the artists friend, Henryk Sienkiewcz was author of the great novel, Quo Vadis, and includes in it a similar scene where the christian girl Ligia is tied to the back of an ox.

Indeed, his paintings have been popular on the Forums, you'll find a few manipulated versions in our cellars.
Here's another of his tasty treats:

1565476618733.png

Of course!

Dorothy Brown likes bulls too,
but it's not the horns she'd want to be tied to,
it's the horny bit she wants! :devil:
(Pasiphae, not Dirce)

Another mass martyrdom, by Jan Styka - Les chrétiens aux lions

1565477970081.png

The striking figure in this one is the crazy lassie sitting on the balcony wall
flashing her legs - one careless move and those legs will be lion-meat!

View attachment 736273

It's sort of mirrored on the right in the background. Styka is either suggesting that the Romans are doomed to be brought down by their own self-indulgent decadence, or he just liked women in peril.......

View attachment 736273

It's Friskies Time!

Back
Top Bottom