The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
Is it the inventor of the swivel chair, Thomas Jefferson?
Bingo!:clapping:
Don`t know about the chair, but it was Jefferson.
Correct!:clapping:
He also invented the Jefferson Airplane
?:doh:

Thomas Jefferson’s 1801 inaugural speech, wherein he pledged his country forward toward a future of “peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none.”

"entangling alliances with none" -no EU, no NATO ???

Bingo!:clapping:

Correct!:clapping:

?:doh:

Thomas Jefferson’s 1801 inaugural speech, wherein he pledged his country forward toward a future of “peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none.”

"entangling alliances with none" -no EU, no NATO ???
“The first swivel chair was invented by Thomas Jefferson, and is purported to be the chair on which he drafted the United States Declaration of Independence in 1776.” (Wikipedia)

Many people have been highly critical of Jefferson’s achievements, which may have led directly to the American Swivel War... :doh:

purported to be the chair on which he drafted the United States Declaration of Independence in 1776.” (Wikipedia)
I use Wikipedia all the time, but you must be carefully trusting what is there.
Jefferson did invent a swivel chair but that was at his home at Monticello, in Western Virginia. He drafted the Declaration during late June of 1776 in a boarding house in Philadelphia, PA. It is almost certain that he didn't have a chair shipped there from home.

I use Wikipedia all the time, but you must be carefully trusting what is there.
Jefferson did invent a swivel chair but that was at his home at Monticello, in Western Virginia. He drafted the Declaration during late June of 1776 in a boarding house in Philadelphia, PA. It is almost certain that he didn't have a chair shipped there from home.
I have a cousin called Montycello, he plays in a string quartet. And that’s as factual as the idea that Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence whilst spinning at high speed on his swivel chair and shouting “how’s that for an American Revolution!” :p

tt.png

Now my head has stopped spinning from the previous posts, a serious question.

Learned people with nothing better to do are asking the question:

"Should there be a comma before the 'and' on the coin?"

I was always taught not, but apparently 48% think yes.

So Remainers will refuse to accept the coin because of its grammar and its sentiment.

So Remainers will refuse to accept the coin because of its grammar and its sentiment.

I mentioned the Jefferson origin of the quote to a family member and their reply was "typical Brexit can't even get a British quote"

However like Old Slave I really do not mind about the comma

That sounds typical. Someone else summed it up by saying if they object to the coins, send them all to me and I will send them a 20 pence coin for each one ,accompanied by strict instructions on how they are allowed to spend it. They should then feel at home with it.

This, if Wiki is to be believed, is the original bug

View attachment 809300

It's good to see Ada Lovelace mentioned in her own right,
apart from being Byron's daughter -

Augusta Ada Byron was the only legitimate child of poet Lord Byron and his wife Lady Byron. All of Byron's other children were born out of wedlock to other women. Byron separated from his wife a month after Ada was born and left England forever four months later. He commemorated the parting in a poem that begins, "Is thy face like thy mother's my fair child! ADA! sole daughter of my house and heart?" He died of disease in the Greek War of Independence when Ada was eight years old. Her mother remained bitter and promoted Ada's interest in mathematics and logic in an effort to prevent her from developing her father's perceived insanity. Despite this, Ada remained interested in Byron, naming her two sons Byron and Gordon. Upon her eventual death, she was buried next to him at her request.
Was mentioned in a recent Dr Who story...

Back
Top Bottom