Sibilla Cumana
Mysteries of Naples

The Devil in the Convent

true story of

Nuns of Sant' Arcangelo a Bajano

a trial of the Inquisition

in the sixteenth century

Luna.gif
Naples is the most mysterious city in Europe, and the only city of the ancient world that has not perished like Troy, or Nineveh, or Babylon. It is the only city in the world that has not sunk in the immense shipwreck of ancient civilization. Naples is a Pompeii that was never buried. Is not a city: is a world. The ancient world with its pagan customs have remained intact on the surface of the modern world. You cannot understand Naples, nor ever will you understand Naples.

(Curzio Malaparte)

The last stroke of the pickaxe shatters the thin layer of brick which conceals the opening of a door in the ancient wall of the House of the Theatine Fathers in the Via Duomo (Cathedral Street) in Angevin Naples.

I'd made no mistake, those small irregularities in the plaster couldn't hide the mystery. The dust from the collapsed thin wall now settled, from the darkness of the monk's cell there appeared a narrow passage in the thickness of the wall that divided the House of the Theatines from the nuns' Convent of St. Archangel in Baiano. (St. Michael)

The mason takes his flashlight and walks into the short corridor. I follow, we see a stairway down. As we descend some steps, the torch goes out.

Luna- 'O'puorco! A'chisto mo' mme'zompa n'cuoll' e mme'fotte a'cca'.

(Pig! Someone's jumped on me and he's raping me here!)

I fall back on the steps thrown down under his weight, I'm trying to defend myself when a man's yell stuns me:

mason- 'E' rriavule!' (The Devil!).

He stamps on me and escapes.

Luna- 'Strunz e'mierda, l'ucchiale! mo'ch'aggio a'ffà? ma ch'era, na bufala?'

(Oh fuck and shit, my glasses! Now what am I going to do? But what was it, a hoax?)

My legs are trembling like a pair of soft mozzarella cheeses, I can hardly stand. In the dark I try kneeling on the step groping for my glasses.

Luna- 'Ma ddove e'cazze...?!' (but where fuck...?)

Gennaro- 'Doctor! Doctor! Are you alive? Where are you?'

Luna- 'Gennaro vviene a'cca!' (come here!)

Comforted by the voice of Gennaro, I try to get up. Placing my hand against the wall, I feel wood, an iron handle. It moves, I pull, the squeal of the wood tugged along the floor makes me realize that it is a box.

Gennaro- 'O'mmarònna!' (Madonna!)

Gennaro- 'Doctor, have you hurt yourself?'

Luna- ' No, Gennaro, I’m okay. Lucky I had a helmet, or I’d have cracked my head against the step ... '

Gennaro- 'Give me your hand, Doctor! We’ll climb back up, I’ll light the torch.'

Luna- 'Come here, Gennaro, take hold of this - I'll take the other handle, it’s not heavy.'

Gennaro- 'What is it?'

Luna- 'I don't know! Up we go!'

Gennaro is a nice guy, 'nu bbello guaglione', he’s called 'o sarracino' (the saracen) because of his swarthy complexion, dark eyes and curly hair. He’s good and helpful as only a few guys in Naples can be, I like that. I realise he looks at me with desire mixed with admiration, I'm certainly a beautiful girl, petite and brunette, I can be pretty desirable even in my work clothes. I am Superintendent of Archaeological Heritage of the City of Naples and I'm here to preside over the work of rescue and restoration of these buildings, mostly of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries , but with pre-existing structures dating back to Roman times .

Gennaro- 'E u'rriavolo l'avete visto?' (And you’ve seen the Devil?)

Luna- 'Ma ch'e'cazze Gennà? A'cchillo c'aveva 'na'paùra!

(What the fuck was it, Gennaro? It was such a fright!)

- with all those stories of ghosts and devils that run at night between these walls...'

Gennaro- 'Maronna!' (Madonna!)

Luna- 'Come with me to the car, I’ve got to look for another pair of glasses – please carry the box, my arm can’t manage it any more.'

Gennaro- 'Were you very frightened?'

Luna- 'Yes I was … that he wanted to fuck me, o'puorco!' (the pig!)

Gennaro- 'Then we’d have found his tackle!'

Luna- 'Ch'e'ddici Gennà?' (what do you mean, Gennaro?)

Gennaro- 'Excuse me, Doctor, don’t misunderstand me, I just meant that you’d have just ripped his balls off if he’d tried...'

My heart skips a little beat as I shake my dusty jacket, I look for the car keys in the pockets.

Luna- 'Sfaccìmme! L'ò perdute dint'o muro!'

(Cum! I lost them too when I hit the wall!)

Gennaro- 'E'mo?' (And now?)

Luna- 'Take me home with you. Do you have your car here?'

Gennaro- 'Yes, ma'am, at your service, Doctor! And this?' referring to the box he’s still holding in his hands,

Luna- 'Come on let's put it in the sports bag'

Gennaro pulls my bra and my black lacy thong from the bag, he looks at me, embarrassed ...

Luna- 'Put them all in the holdall.'

Gennaro- 'This, too?'

Luna- 'You've never seen a thong? Give me my pumps and help me take these boots off, they’re hurting my back.'

Gennaro- 'Doctor, wouldn’t it be better to go to the hospital? Just for a check ...'

Attachments

• Devil in the Convent1.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited by a moderator:
I've to thank Eulalia for her help in the traslation of this very long and complex story.

The facts to which the story relates really happened in Naples in the sixteenth century.
Here have been fictionalized for the friends of the forum.

Last edited:
I like it and find that's good to have kept some Italian expressions: it's more living ...:)

I wanted to add , about this sentence:

The last stroke of the pickaxe shatters the thin layer of brick which conceals the opening of a door in the ancient wall of the House of the Theatine Fathers in the Via Duomo (Cathedral Street) in Angevin Naples.

Naples was given to Charles II d'Anjou by pope Clement IV: so, Angers (France) (my town) and Naples are a little "cousin"
;)

Luna,
You write with such passion and vision. I will be patient and quietly wait for more!

Grazie, amica mio! :)

Last edited:
Quite beautiful, Luna. We are blessed to have so many great writers and poets in here :)

Loving your new avatar too - it looks a bit similar to mine :p:D

Devil in the Convent 2

Knock, knock .

Luna- 'Come In! Ah, it’s Don Carmelo'

Carmelo- 'Dr. Lucy are you okay? '

Luna- 'As if I was run over by a bulldozer!'

Carmelo- 'Ciccio was an idiot, instead of helping you he's scarpered'

Luna- 'Take him off my team, if I find him I’ll tear his eyes out with my nails.'

Carmelo- 'That's the idea! I’ll send him to work at the landfill , the rubbish tip, there’ll be more to come. '

Luna- 'I’ll need Gennaro to I get me home at all - I lost my glasses and my car keys down there, and I don’t want to go down there again – and I’ve got pain in my back and shoulder. '

Carmelo- 'E u'rriavule?' (and the Devil?)

Luna- 'You too, Don Carmelo? You don’t believe that crap, I hope? Let’s close the room off and put up a sign:

'Rriavule e anime nere vietato l'accesso!'

(NO ENTRY - DEVIL AND DAMNED SOULS!)

Carmelo- 'Don’t you worry Dr. Lucia, Ciccio has already scared everyone away, no one else will come . I’ll shut it off with a plank and chain'.

Everyone calls me Lucia, even though my real name is Luna. It’s my means of defence against the evil eye - you never know, the damned souls, spirits, witches and devils know only our real names, but our by-names hide us from them, so they don’t find me as my name isn’t Lucia.

Don Carmelo is the owner of the company that has contracted for the work. He’s Sicilian, the fact that they call him 'Don' tells of his career in the mafia, but he’s always been friendly with me, never the slightest trouble, he obeys my instructions like a good carpenter even though some might object to my excessive fussing

he knows he’ll reclaim everything with a few price revisions for work not agreed in the contract.

Gennaro 'o sarracino ' is twenty years old, employed by Don Carmelo, responsible for drawing plans throughout the building, and is in charge of accounting and engaging construction workers on site.

Luna- ‘I’d recommend, Don Carmelo, that there’s need to do an inspection and survey. On Monday we’ll begin. I'll stay home tomorrow to get over my bruises .'

Carmelo- 'Everything as you wish! Get well soon, Dr. Lucy. Gennaro is at your service!'

Don Carmelo departs...

Luna- 'Well Gennaro, let’s go down, take me home - I'm all in pieces. Take the bag then we'll see what's inside the box'.

In the chaotic traffic of a Thursday evening Gennaro drives like a perfect chauffeur, smoothly, never braking suddenly or showing the slightest hint of impatience. It’s beautiful, just how I like it. I’ll have to put him down to drive him at my leisure. He brakes at the front door of the house, we seem to land on a cushion of air. He opens the door and helps me down.

Luna- 'Take the bag, come upstairs, we’ll have 'na tazza e'caffè!' (a cup of coffee)

He parks in the courtyard of the house. I open the door, these keys at least I haven’t lost, they were in my bag, in the back pocket.

The house is in the Vomero. It’s a building of the early twentieth century, recently renovated, with two large open rooms adjoining, the kitchen and bathroom, and a wide terrace looking towards Naples, the Bay, and Vesuvius.

Gennaro- 'May I?'

Luna- 'Come Gennaro, put the bag on the floor near the table on the right. Be my guest, take a seat while prepare the coffee'.

Gennaro- 'What a treat here, it’s a paradise'

Luna- 'That’s true , last year I finished managing the work on this renovation , and instead of a fee I got this studio flat , though I still have to pay a hefty mortgage! But I'm independent. '

Gennaro- 'I envy you a lot, and you’re so young...'

Luna- 'I got a degree in architecture two years ago, but I was already ahead in my studies, from elementary through high school, so I skipped a year'.

With this I untie my coiled ponytail of hair that I keep up as a bun, shaking my beautiful black locks defiantly. Hiding behind the wardrobe, I pull off my t-shirt and jeans, only keeping on my black lace thong. I put on a light t-shirt and a wrap-round miniskirt. I never wear a bra, my breasts are small and firm and don’t need it. The areoles and nipples stand out under the fabric of the shirt. Gennaro’s blood-pressure’s rising, and so’s the pressure in the coffee-maker, the aroma spreads as the coffee’s poured into the cups.

Luna- 'Let's see if we can open the box'

Gennaro- 'No problem, I only need a paper clip and a letter opener!'

Luna- 'O mariuolo!' (thief!)

He unfolds and carefully bends the wire, and sticks it into the keyhole of the lock.

A creak of the rusty mechanism indicates that it’s moving, the screeching of iron continues while he turns the 'passepartout', a click finally announces that the lock’s given way, with the paper-knife inserted between the two parts, the box opens.

Luna- 'Don’t think about finding gold coins, there’ll be something very disappointing'.

I see that the box is filled with neatly folded black cloth. I take out the ends of what looks like a cassock, and lift it up I see something underneath that is better kept hidden. Gennaro can’t see what I can see because the lid’s hiding it from him. I go to the middle of the living room, Gennaro’s eyes, then his person, follow me away from the box.

Luna- 'Come on, let’s see how I look!'

I let the cape unfold, raising my arms, the dress drops down as hold it by the shoulders. It’s black, with a large red cross on the chest from the neck down to the waist, and across from one sleeve to the other. A long hood drops to the floor, a bit like the one worn by the Brotherhood of Mercy, with a red cross on the face between the holes for the eyes. I take in the troubled look on Gennaro’s face as he views the object.

Gennaro- 'What this stuff?'

Luna- 'Don’t you recognize it? It’s an Inquisitor’s robes!'

Gennaro- 'O San Gennà, o Mmarònna! I'm scared'.

I lay the cape on the open box, hiding the rest of its contents.

Luna- 'It's getting late Gennaro. These are the keys to my car, I’ve still not got my glasses, please go back to the site, and leave your car there, come back here with mine.’

I almost push him through the door, down the stairs and out, disappointed.

Luna- 'When you get back, call me by cellphone, there’s no bell'.

Attachments

• Devil in the Convent2.pdf
    15.1 KB · Views: 54
Devil in the Convent

Anxiously I go back to the box.

I take off the inquisitorial cape and lay it on the ground, nervously eyeing the bundles of black fabric. I take hold of one, it weighs heavy. I unwrap the cloth. Rusty bronze makes it even more sinister – an instrument of torture! My heart is pounding , it’s the infamous Pear!

A pulse of horror surges through me, but immediately it’s followed by a strange tension, I feel each nerve of my body quivering, my breathing becoming ever more more laboured, as if I’m waiting for the touch of a hand. Seized by a frenzy that conquers my every inhibition, with trembling fingers I drive the instrument of hellish pain to touch my breasts.

Now it’s a penis - my breasts, with their nipples and areoles swelling in excitement, stand out from the fabric of my shirt, I’m rubbing them, stimulating them, making them swell like the pear. With my mind in a whirl I unfasten the velcro tab of my miniskirt, let it drop to the floor, the force that’s guiding my hand takes the tool of my pleasure to my navel, down to my pubis, in between my thighs, pressing strongly. I feel my vaginal muscles dilating, opening me, my clitoris erect, my labia swelling, my juices moistening the lace of my thong, the only barrier to penetration. Stunned, I cease pressing, but the object gives off a devilish energy that possesses me. I groan.

Coming back to my senses, I take a piece of tissue to make a kind of glove to avoid contact, and grip the demonic tool, shifting the cloth to hide it from view, and throw it in the box.

Before Gennaro returns I try to make everything disappear, emptying the contents of the chest into a cardboard box. In addition to the cloth-wrapped bundles there fall out a large key, a small one, and a sheaf of papers sewn to form a book, 'ACTA...' I put the gown and hood so they cover everything, then close the box and hide it in the store-room, locking it as if to prevent anything from getting out by magic. I hide the key well away among my cutlery. I move the empty box under a desk in the corner of my living room.

I go to the freezer, take out the bottle of iced lemon vodka, pour three fingers of liquor in a glass. My legs are still shaking, this should calm me a little. Gennaro’s delayed, has he got lost or is he offended with me? With half-closed eyes, savouring the chill of the liquor, I almost fall asleep. Slowly a feeling of warmth comes over me, a sensation of relief as it melts my accumulated tenseness.

It's dark, why is he taking so long? The mobile rings, it’s Gennaro!

Luna- 'Up!'

In a few seconds he knocks on the door. I open it, he hesitates – I’m only wearing my t-shirt and thong – I give a smile and he enters.

Gennaro- 'Here are your glasses and keys!'

I put them on the shelf near the door. I take his hand gently, but pours vodka into two glasses. We drink. After a little while we cross to the living room patio-door, where we look at the brightly-lit city. I feel the tenseness in the muscles of his arm and shake him a little, we look each other in the eye, daring... he grabs my wrist, pushes me against the jamb of the window, I’m pretending to break free, not very hard!

Luna- 'No! Not like this!'

I break free, pull off my shirt, and run to the bathroom.

He follows me, I pull down my thong, skip into the shower, it starts automatically. (1)

I close my eyes while my hair is wet, raise my arms and let them fall back, turning my head to the side so I lay bare my throat.

He grabs my wrists and spreads my arms apart, nipping the skin of my throat with his teeth, against the angle of the walls I’m stretched naked, as if crucified.

Gennaro- ‘Stay!'

He’s the boss, he gives the orders now, I have to submit, let his fantasies run free. His hands slide slowly beneath my outstretched arms, from wrists to armpits, in an endless caress, then descend to enwrap my breasts. They tighten, lift, he squeezes my puffy areoles between his fingers, pulling them outwards. Abandoned to his will, my head tilts back and swings side to side as if in agony.

The rain of water and light caresses my skin, his soapy hands slither down to my hips, his mouth tastes my breasts, feeding on their honey, pauses on my navel, lingers on the waves of my loins, then moves down into the secrets of the sweetest part, the sacred recesses are explored by his tongue, collecting delicious nectar to savour, I flex down to my legs apart to their limit, gushing gold.

A surprise allows me to take control of the game. I run, dripping wet, into the living room, throw myself supine on the table with my arms outstretched, legs apart, as if I’m chained for torture. His arms thrust under my thighs and spread them apart to offer my sex to his greedy biting.

Licking, sucking, biting, he takes possession of me with his divine power. We continue our game on the floor in a tangle of limbs, hair, lips, sex-parts –damp in every aperture, a mossy brook wet with dew, never vanquished by time.

Ecstasy, divine transfiguration, animal growls, sighs, moans of infinite pleasure, limbs, mouths, hands like claws, contorted limbs, tensed muscles, milk and honey.

The dim light before dawn almost catches us by surprise, the first sounds, the earliest bird-song, bring us back to the real world. His hand traces painful lines down my back.

Luna- 'What are you doing?'

Gennaro- 'I didn’t lash you tonight, but the bruises...'

Luna- 'Did you want to...'

Four egg yolks and eight tablespoons of sugar, a thick golden cream, hot coffee tipped in and immediately scrambled, two steaming cups of pure energy.

The automatic rain washes away any tiredness and moods, still more caresses, more kisses.

The shrill, intrusive alarm-clock breaks into the waking dream with the sadness of the looming day.

Yet another kiss on the lips.

Luna- 'C'a vocca chiusa nun traseno mosche!'

(With your mouth closed flies can’t get in!)

'Back tonight'.

A smile.

He is mine.

-------------

(1) wonders of technology these showers, they dispense hot water and soap at the right temperature for the required time as soon as you go under them, not to mention the ultratechnological design with LED lighting – I’m pleased with the choice!

Attachments

• Devil in the Convent3.pdf
    14.8 KB · Views: 47
I like it and find that's good to have kept some Italian expressions: it's more living ...:)

I wanted to add , about this sentence:

Naples was given to Charles II d'Anjou by pope Clement IV: so, Angers (France) (my town) and Naples are a little "cousin"
;)
yes I've learnt a lot about Naples helping Luna with this -
the snatches are in Neapolitan dialect, quite different from standard (Tuscan) Italian,
they do add "spice" to the story.

140px-Blason_Geoffroy_Plantagenet.svg.png

England was part of the Angevin empire at least in the time of Henry II and Richard I the Lionheart,
theoretically until Richard III ;)

Eulalia said:
yes I've learnt a lot about Naples helping Luna with this -
the snatches are in Neapolitan dialect, quite different from standard (Tuscan) Italian,
they do add "spice" to the story.

English.
William Shakspeare
from The Tempest:

By this good light, this is a very shallow monster! I afeard of him!
A very weak monster! The man i’ th’ moon! A most poor credulous
monster! Well drawn , monster, in good sooth!

Italian
Per questa bella luce, è un mostro molto stupido. E avevo paura di lui!
Un mostro molto fiacco! L’uomo della luna! Il più meschino e
ingenuo dei mostri! Una buona bevuta, mostro, per la verità.

Neapolitan
Addavero stu mostro è nu pachiochio! A me me faceva paura, ammece
chistu è cchiù fesso de l’acqua càura: qualunque scemitate se l’ammocca!
S’è bevuto l’ommo de la luna senza nemmanco sciatare.

(Eduardo De Filippo translation)

literally in Italian
Davvero questo mostro è un pastrocchio! A me faceva paura, invece
questo è più fesso dell'acqua calda: qualunque scemenza se la beve!
S'è bevuto l'uomo della luna senza nemmeno fiatare.

Last edited:
I think Neapolitan is to Italian rather as Scots is to English -
Italian is very musical, but Neapolitan has a more gutsy feel​
do you mean just like Scottish to English? and eeuuuhh west Fri(e)sian to Dutch ?

View attachment 119111

England was part of the Angevin empire at least in the time of Henry II and Richard I the Lionheart,
theoretically until Richard III ;)

NO ! NO ! NO ! It was this betrayer Alienor d'Aquitaine who was, in first Queen of France with her marriage with Louis VII, and after his death , she marries Henry II Plantagenêt and brought to England all her french possessions !
By this fact, she betrayed her vow to give her kingdom (Aquitaine, Anjou ...) to the Crown of France !!!

SHAME ON HER !

VIVE l'ANJOU LIBRE !
Freedom for ANJOU !!!

03.gif

Oh, Luna, with my "historical anger", I was forgotting you !!!:confused:

Very well done : I love the Pear of Anguish, but dare to try it!!! It's wonderful !!!:D:rolleyes:

Gennaro ? I cant understand how women can prefer a little bit of flesh, stuffed of blood, rather than the delicious and sweet fingers of another woman .....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Continue your great work !:clapping:

NO ! NO ! NO ! It was this betrayer Alienor d'Aquitaine who was, in first Queen of France with her marriage with Louis VII, and after his death , she marries Henry II Plantagenêt and brought to England all her french possessions !
By this fact, she betrayed her vow to give her kingdom (Aquitaine, Anjou ...) to the Crown of France !!!
SHAME ON HER !

VIVE l'ANJOU LIBRE !
Freedom for ANJOU !!!

agree with you, about the librety, my beloved blond......................because we don't want to loose your Road to Calvary ANJOU:devil:

Back
Top Bottom