The Envoy from Carthage (short story)

Go to CruxDreams.com

Loxuru

Graf von Kreuzigung
The backstory.

In 332 BC, Alexander of Macedonia besieged the city of Tyre, nowadays in Lebanon, then in the Persian Empire. Tyre was a fortified city, located on an island. With the sea as a wide moat, the city considered itself impregnable for a besieger. But Alexander was determined to capture Tyre at all cost. Ships from his allies blocked the seaside, while from the land, Alexander ordered to build a causeway, wide enough to bring siege artillery, siege towers, and an assault force down to the walls of the city. The plan succeeded, and after several months, Alexander captured the Tyre. What followed was loot and killing. Only those who had sought refuge in the Temple of the city’s god Melqart were spared. Including a delegation of Carthage envoys that had become trapped in Tyre by the siege.

Among the killing of the population, stands out one of the most notorious mass crucifixions recorded in history : some 2000 captive inhabitants were crucified on the beach near the city.

One legacy of the siege still persists : the causeway built for the siege, was so durable, that neither manpower nor the sea could destroy it. The former channel silted up against the causeway, and since, Tyre is linked to the mainland.

Tyre, the Persian Empire, 332 BC.

In the city of Tyre once lived a mathematician named Loxuru, or Loxurus, or Luxorus, depending on the sources. About his work, history has only preserved indirect references, nothing of original. There are even only third source accounts to his work, written down in Ptolemean Alexandria, around 280 BC. They refer to secondary sources, lost too, mentioning that Loxurus of Tyre did research about geometry, astronomy and the calculus of very small numbers.

The loss of his work may have to do with the events that overcame his home city of Tyre, some half century before the third hand sources from Alexandria mentioned him. Loxuru of Tyre lived in the time that King Azemilcus ruled the city. His rule ended in 332 BC, when king Alexander of Macedonia besieged and took his city, looted it and enslaved or murdered most of the population. It was considered rather likely that Loxuru perished in that siege too.

Recent finds have emerged a document that gives an account of what happened to Loxuru of Tyre. Many nobles, and the king himself, had sought shelter in the Temple of Melqart. Those who had done so, were pardoned by king Alexander, the rest of the population was either slaughtered, sold for slavery, or, some 2000, crucified on the beach.

Alexander had also spared the envoys from Carthage, which got trapped inside Tyre when the siege had begun. Afterwards, one of the envoys had made a report of the siege to his king. Again, the documents dug up are a second hand version, apparently.

A mathematician, named ‘Luxorus’ is mentioned in the account. Around the age of 60 at the time of the siege, he apparently had put his knowledge at the disposal of his king, by helping to design strong fortifications and defensive siege machines. Among the latter, there seem to have been ‘very accurate’ ballistic devices.

The same man Luxorus seems to have been around when the temple of Melqart was approached by Alexander’s soldiers, and he had, with the envoys and some priests, negotiated the terms of the pardon.

Apparently, Alexander had ordered to capture Luxorus alive, impressed as he was by the accurate artillery the mathematician had designed. The envoy who had been allowed to follow Alexander after the fall of the city, witnessed that the latter took Luxorus to the battlements, to inspect some of the latter’s defensive measures and machines.

The battlement stood over the beach, where some tens of captives had already been crucified on order of Alexander, in what the envoy described as a ‘hellish’ scene. Alexander then proposed Luxorus to work for him in the future, as a free man, with the promise of a wealthy life.

But Luxorus refused. According to the account, king Alexander and Luxorus then both threw an eye on the crucifixion scene, the former with a threatening look, the latter with an accusing look.

Alexander made his offer again. Luxorus said nothing, but spat in the king’s face. This was enough for Alexander. Without a word, he wiped he spit from his face, and then, he put his right hand in a fist and pointed his thumb towards the beach. Immediately, soldiers grabbed the unfortunate mathematician, who just had signed up for his own cruel fate!

Shortly after, Luxorus joined the rows of those waiting to marry the cross on the beach of Tyre. Like all those condemned for crucifixion by Alexander, he waited in humiliation, stripped naked, carrying his crossbeam in his neck, and driven forward by the whips of the Macedonian soldiers. According to the envoy’s report :

“I had tried to plea to King Alexander for a more merciful execution (knowing that, in all circumstances, spitting in a king’s face was sanctioned with capital punishment), but in vain. I only got permission to accompany Luxorus to the beach.

As he advanced, Luxorus was in thought, silent. Like all those destined to the cross, without distinction of gender or age, he was stark naked. Clothes of the condemned were soldier’s loot. Luxorus stoically underwent the humiliations and his downfall. We approached the beach, where tens of soldiers were digging holes for the crosses and planting and securing stipes. The wood for the cross came from siege machines, which were of no more use anymore, and which would be too heavy and too clumsy to be taken away with the army. There was a sound of grim hammering and cries of fear, pain, begging, cursing, whining…! Above, on the ramparts, I noticed king Alexander, overseeing his killing field. The sanction for a city that had resisted him, that had cost him time and numerous men, and, most of all, that had arrogantly defied him. Because that is true! The arrogance! Because Tyre thought it was safe and invincible in the island-fortress the city was. They never had considered the possibility that a besieger would take the time and do the heavy effort to build a causeway from the mainland to the city. Particularly not that pretentious little king from – where was he from? From some place called Macedonia, wherever that would be!? With the mass crucifixions, king Alexander made a clear statement that he was determined to get what he wanted, and that he warned others not to stand in his way or oppose him. I think, the message was first of all intended to the fleets of his allies, which were moored in front of the beach.

From the ramparts, the crucifixion had already looked as an infernal teeming. But nothing compared to standing almost amidst of it. As a human, this massacre repulsed me! Yet, as a diplomatic envoy, I was supposed to stay neutral and not to interfere! I needed all my self-discipline to keep me from shouting my annoyance about king Alexander’s extreme harshness! I hoped, my fellow-envoys would too keep their nerves together while witnessing this cruelty. And I hoped, king Alexander would be judged correctly for this crime against humanity, and that no imbecile of a historical chronicle would ever come up with the idea of calling him ‘Alexander The Great’ or something like that!

(to be continued)

(2)

The officer assigned to accompany me, held me. Beyond this point, I would enter war zone. I asked Luxorus if he still had to tell something. He looked at me, sweating, heavily breathing, and with his head dark red from the effort of carrying the heavy crossbeam. Not with difficulty, and a nervous voice, he replied :

“Not a lot! Maybe nature will be merciful for a man of my age, and keep my agony short! Oh yes, just one more thing : remember what I said : the Earth is not flat!”

I wished him courage, and then, he was driven, with two other condemned, into the forest of death. Under the demeaning shouts of guards, they had to run, with their heavy load, to their assigned pole. Luxorus lagged behind soon, and I prayed for a moment that the gods would single him out for a quick death. But today, the gods were clearly not in their mercy-modus.

From a rock, I kept watching. There was no particular in Luxorus’ behaviour. Like all the condemned, he resisted fiercely when the moment had come, he was tied down to the patibulum. Like all the condemned, he was overwhelmed by fear, and I saw him squirm and cry out of pain, when the executioners nailed him to his cross – the sounds of it were drowned in the overall noise of the hellish scene. Soon, his cross stood up, and I saw he was still alive, and, like the other crucified, constantly moving and writhing.

Left and right of me, more unfortunate people were hurried on the beach. Next to my spotting point, two men, of the age of Luxorus, waited their turn.

“Was that Luxorus, the mathematician!?” one of them asked me.

“He was!” I replied.

“Told you, it was him!” the man said to his companion.

“I had expected he would be spared for his fame and go work for that tyrant king of Macedonia!”

“He was asked, but he spat Alexander in his face!” I replied.

“Well done from him!” the condemned said with approval. “Maybe he can teach us some mathematics to kill the time over there!”

An executioner neared and shouted to the men :

“Hey! You! Where do you think you are!? In a tavern!? Enough chit-chat! Move your ass and run! You, you, you and you! Move it! Never let a hungry cross wait for its meat!”

Under the threat of whips, four were rushed to their fate. New crux meat arrived.

It was strange, to observe how all these people had themselves brought to their doom. No resistance, no hysteria. Accepting, almost obedient to follow the orders of Alexander’s henchmen. Was it the fatigue of months of siege, facing death, shortage of food, martial law, anticipation of the worst?

I still could see crucified Luxorus. He was slowly moving now, like his neighbours, and as far as I could judge, they seemed to exchange brief words with them. The crosses were planted so close to each other, that the patibula almost touched each other, and the space between the rows was as minimal as possible for the hardly four to five feet high crosses. They were so low, the condemned had their knees bent open, while their toes almost touched the beach sands. I tried to imagine how it would be, being the victim of such a cruel execution. But I knew that any imagination would fall short compared to reality.

Curious, the most famous mathematician of our time was executed the same demeaning way as, and together with people of which most of them were illiterate. Alexander had made his selection : those with combat experience would be killed, the able bodied inhabitants would mostly be enslaved. The beach was a mixture of men and women of all ages, many deemed unfit to serve. Plus some of the city’s administrators who had not been granted refuge in the Temple of Melqart. Among the latter, the men who had just stood talking next to me!

Would they know, or still care that, when defeat became inevitable, King Azemilcus had ordered a few, among which Luxorus, to make up a longlist of those people – mostly nobles and elite – that would be allowed to take refuge in the Temple of Melqart, and enjoy the protection, king Alexander had promised? The list of people, that would enjoy the privilege to survive, while the rest of the population would suffer death, slavery, or worse, the cross. Of course, Luxorus had added himself to the list too, and he had remained on it when King Azemilcus had shortlisted it according to his own preferences.

So, Luxorus could have walked out and taken profit of his reputation. Why had he reverted his fortunate fate and chosen to share the ranks of the most deplorable citizens of the captured town? Had he remorse, afterwards, when he saw the cruelty inflicted to those who had not been chosen to survive? Was it anger and disappointment, because he had expected that King Alexander would have been merciful towards all the inhabitants of Tyre, instead of ordering a massacre? Or was it because, being a stubborn and know-it-all scholar, Luxorus had refused to lend his knowledge to a king, whose geopolitical project was based on the assumption that the Earth was flat?

During the siege, Luxorus had told me once, that the accuracy of the Macedonian artillery was so terrible, because they assumed that the Earth was flat, and hence they thought their projectiles followed a circular trajectory. While he knew better, he said, the Earth is a sphere and the trajectory follows a … the word escapes me.. something with ‘para’! That gave much better results. Sadly, Luxorus had it wrong about the dam building capabilities of the Macedonians. He often had reassured King Azemilcus, that the causeway project would never succeed, since currents would flush it away before the connection could be finished. The narrower the passage for the currents would become between the causeway and the city, the stronger the currents would be. Hence, no countermeasures were undertaken, until it was too late. Was it that costly error of scientific judgement, that sealed the fate of the city and his inhabitants, that Luxorus wanted himself pay for in the most cruel way?

Or was spitting in Alexander’s face simply the last act of arrogance from a city, doomed to undergo the new world order?

I wished I had asked him. Now it was too late.

Anyway, confronted with all the cruelty committed here, someone had to do the unpleasant job to spit Alexander in his face (and bear the consequences)! That’s the least the butcher deserves!

Another officer had arrived and addressed me.

“The King will arrange documents for your safe passage, and a galley to bring your delegation back to Carthage!”

“Thank you!”

“Time to go back, Sir!” my accompanying officer ordered.

For a last time I looked back at the beach. But Luxorus had already vanished within the wood of writhing naked bodies.”

THE END

Alexander had also spared the envoys from Carthage, which got trapped inside Tyre when the siege had begun. Afterwards, one of the envoys had made a report of the siege to his king. Again, the documents dug up are a second hand version, apparently.

One of the envoys of Carthage was a certain Phlebas the Phoenician. Standing on that beach and witnessing the massed rows of crosses, bodies of all shapes, sizes and genders, each victim struggling with their own hell, their own slow march towards a lingering death, left him with a lifelong interest in crucifixion.

I applaud you taking on the crucifixions of Tyre, Lox. It's a huge topic and it remains a goal for me to depict it in a manip. The closest I have managed is this silhouette version

Is Loxurus the mathematician based partly on Archimedes, who famously died during the Roman siege of Syracuse?

I applaud you taking on the crucifixions of Tyre, Lox. It's a huge topic and it remains a goal for me to depict it in a manip. The closest I have managed is this silhouette version
After my 'Palmyra' story (The Philosophers) I also found it time to take on that historical crucifixion, that gets little attention on this forum. An important source of inspiration to take it on, was actually your silhouette manip.

Is Loxurus the mathematician based partly on Archimedes, who famously died during the Roman siege of Syracuse?
Partly, yes.

Even today there are people who think the Earth is flat!
At the gates of heaven, St. Peter says to them, "Before you enter the gates of heaven, you may ask god one question."
The flat earther asks, "God, is the earth flat?"
God responds, "The earth is 100% a globe."
The flat earther exclaims, "Holy crap! This conspiracy runs deeper than I thought!"

Back
Top Bottom