The Martyrdom Of St. Julia

Go to CruxDreams.com

Jollyrei

Angelus Mortis
Staff member
In recognition of the commemoration of St. Julia on May 22 or 23, depending on the account one reads, I have prepared a short narrative account of the events of her death and martyrdom. Julia is one of the only female early church martyrs known to have been crucified. The story below is based closely on the key events. I have taken some liberties with the idea of Julia as a "virgin martyr", treating that as a more symbolic point, rather than a literal one. It is likely that the legends around all the various saints are somewhat embellished. That said, I mean no disrespect to the personal beliefs of anyone, or the memory of Julia, who did after all suffer crucifixion, whether she was really a virgin or not. In this context, this story is a work of fiction.

I accompany it with some very simple photoshop manips, making liberal use of the Cmck resources. Their main attraction will likely be the background scenery of Corsica. It certainly won't be my mad manip skills, because I think I don't have any yet. (Be gentle with me, Yupar :) )

And if that wasn't enough going out on a limb, I decided to write this in first person voice, thus speaking as a female saint. This is my first go, writing from the point of view of a woman, and I apologize in advance to all of the non-penis bearing, and more artistically shapely gender if I get it terribly wrong.

Anyway, here goes.

JuliaTitle.jpg The Martyrdom of St. Julia

by Jollyrei

We were several days out at sea from Syria, heading for Gaul. My name is Julia, and I was a slave of my master Eusebius. I had not always been a slave. I was born in Carthage, in North Africa, and spent my early years there raised by my parents. When I was in my teen years, Carthage was captured by the Vandals.

The Vandals were heathens and enemies of the Christian faith of my family. They thus sold many good Christians into slavery. I was about 18 or 19 years old with clear light caramel skin, and long dark hair. The Vandals, having arrested my family, decided that I, as a beautiful young strong woman, would gain them a good price. It was thus that I was sold to pirates, who in turn sold me to Eusebius, a wealthy merchant trading from ports in Syria.

Of my slavery to Eusebius, I can have little complaint. My daily duties were to maintain Eusebius' apartments and living quarters. In all my service to him, I followed the teachings of the Apostle Paul which bade me obey my earthly masters, even if they were not themselves of our faith. Indeed, it was quite easy to obey the orders of Eusebius, who was a kind master, more inclinded to gentle instruction than the use of the whip. I tried to do my duties diligently, and indeed Eusebius said he had never lived in such clean quarters, either on land or on board ship.

At first, Eusebius tried diligently to turn me from following Christ. I had taken to reading the holy scriptures on my time off, and sometimes confess that I forgot to eat during my devotional study. When I started becoming thin, Eusebius forbade me from practicing the true faith, but I protested and cried most bitterly, until he relented (he was kindhearted, as I noted), and he said I might continue to pray to the Lord Jesus if I must, but I was never to fast again. To this I readily and joyfully agreed.

I being a young girl, unwitting in the ways of men, and with no mother to guide me, soon found myself caring as much for his welfare as he seemed to have for mine. I confess that when he asked that I go to his bed, a part of me knew that it was against the laws of God, but I reasoned that God had given me to Eusebius, and the laws of slavery were such that a slave had to obey the master, and this was taught also by the Apostles. And so I came to have a "fleshly master" and I found I cherished these times with Eusebius, and rather dreaded the time when he would tire of me, and I would no longer have his affection, or the pleasurable physical results of that affection.

Even so, the conflict within me grew, and I grew more diligent in prayers for forgiveness from my sins, even while I desired more and more to hold Eusebius close to me and feel him deep inside me. While neither the Lord nor his holy mother (who managed to stay a virgin, they say, although how that is possible I am not sure, considering the scriptures mention Jesus' siblings) gave me any counsel, I consoled myself that neither had the Lord seen fit to punish me with a plague or sudden death, and hoped by other diligent good works and devotion to still gain access to Paradise.

For all these reasons, I became even more prized by Eusebius, and he would not have me separated from him. And so it was that I was his house slave on board his ship, as we sailed for Gaul with expensive cargo of silks and spices. Finally one evening Eusebius sighted Corsica, and decided to anchor in a bay there for the night. As we dropped anchor, he noted the sounds of music and merriment in the town by the bay, and saw many lights.

"Truly," he said, "it must be they are having a festival to honour some god. We shall go ashore, as befits visitors, and join them in these sacred festivities. All members of the crew, including slaves shall attend, out of respect for our hosts."

At this I begged him most earnestly, saying that I could not do homage to other gods. In my mind, I knew that because of my sexual sins, if I then went to worship other gods, I might as well give up hopes of ever being reunited with my parents in heaven. Eusebius seemed slightly vexed, but his love for me compelled him to agree. He told the crew that under no circumstance was anyone to mention my presence on the ship, or my reason for not going to the festival. The crew appeared to agree, and indeed I heard the bo'sun say that it was no issue to him if religious wenches didn't want to have fun, but didn't quite understand how a religious wench could avoid a religious festival. In any case, I felt secure. We would be in Corsica but one night, in any case. Surely nobody could be offended that one slave girl was not drinking to Poseidon's health.

I remained on the ship, feeling myself safe, but this was to be a temporary comfort. One of the crew, carried away in the heathen carousing, became loose-tongued from wine, and told of my presence. The story went from mouth to mouth until, by the time it got to the Tribune of the town, a certain Felix Saxo, I was described to him as a Christian fanatic, who derided the gods of the island and who had behaved in a manner most insulting to my master’s hosts and those who lived on the island.

Felix Saxo was himself a Corsican, not a Roman, so while he was most angered by the false stories he had heard of me, he was forced to be deferent to my master, Eusebius, who was a full citizen of Rome. He therefore approached my master and asked why this one woman remained on the ship, for he had heard that there was a girl on the ship who derided the worship of the gods.

Eusebius explained this to me with some amusement later that night when he returned to the ship. He said he told Felix that he had not been successful in moving me from what he called the superstition of the Christians, nor was he able to bring her to the pagan religion by threatening. He laughed as he said that he told Felix, “If she were not necessary because of her most faithful service I would already have had her tortured.”

As he spoke, his hand moved under my shift to my breasts, indicating the service he found most agreeable. I was vexed and alarmed by his account, but he soothed me most effectively, his deft finger gliding through the inner silk of my womanhood, and a spirit of wantonness overtook me and consoled me. As he guided his manhood into me, I was transported to that ecstasy where there was only goodness.

Eusebius lay with me afterward and held me close. He told me he would explain to me how much he valued me. He said that Felix had said, "Either compel her to give offerings to our gods, or give her to me in exchange for whichever four of my handmaidens please you, or for the price that was set for her." Felix had clearly been affronted by my refusal to worship his gods, but could not simply arrest me, being the property of a citizen of Rome. So he had offered a generous sum for me.

But Eusebius said, “I responded to him by saying that if he gave me all his property it would not come to the value of what you mean to me." I understood then that Eusebius loved me, slave though I was, and I slept secure in his arms.

I should not have succumbed to the temptations of the flesh and their insidious promise of comfort and security. Eusebius had promised Felix that he and his crew would stay for another day of the festival, feeling in his generous, but heathen heart that further honour to Poseidon would help speed his voyage to Gaul in safety. When I learned this, I became agitated, whereupon he caressed my cheek and assured me that Felix could not harm me while I remained on the ship, for that would be an intrusion that no Roman citizen would allow and would result in Felix losing his honours and position. I became more calm and he and the crew departed for the shore in the ship’s boats.

My solace was shortlived. In the early afternoon, I heard noises, as of a large crowd, and thought perhaps the crew was returning to the ship early. I went up on the deck as a mob of townspeople, and one or two of our own crew, all influenced greatly by wine, swarmed onto the deck and took hold of me in a most wanton fashion, exclaiming all the while that insulting Poseidon and the gods could not be tolerated and I should be forced ashore to answer to Felix Saxo, the Tribune.

I cried out, that I was innocent of the insults they accused me of, and that they should leave me on the ship, and that I was property of Eusebius their guest. I called for Eusebius to come to my aid, but he was not among the crowd. One of the men bound my hands, laughing as I protested and said the Eusebius had shown the gods such great honour pouring and drinking libations of wine, that he had succumbed to the effects and was now unlikely to awaken until nightfall.

I knew that once I was ashore, and standing in front of Felix, I could no longer count on the protection of Eusebius, for once on Corsica’s shore’s I would be subject to Felix’s authority, regardless of who owned me. As they forced me over the side of the ship and into one of the boats, I realized that I could not count on Eusebius to aid me, and would need to rely on my wits and the grace of God to help me until Eusebius awakened. I resolved therefore to atone for my previous sins, and hold fast to my faith, in hopes that the true God would save me.

As we reached the shores, I cried out one more time for Eusebius, but the town was of a good size, and he might have been sleeping off the effects of his excess with Poseidon far away across town. I was pulled protesting into the main square, decorated with flowers , and filled with revellers of all ages. Felix Saxo, the Tribune, was also there.

Felix came to me then, as if a friend, and bade the men loose my bonds, which they did. He said he was distressed that the mob had forced me onto land in Corsica, but as this had happened, he was now forced to consider the stories of my refusal to sacrifice to the gods. He said he understood that these stories may have been exaggerated by wine and malicious tongues. Thus speaking, he told me I would be treated as an honoured guest, as befitted one as highly prized as I, by such a noble citizen as my master. I hesitantly and deferentially thanked him for his kindness, asking him what I should do to go to Eusebius and thence back to the ship.

Then he told me that this was not his mind. He rather thought I would be more pleased to offer sacrifice to the gods, thus proving my innocence of the charges, and making amends for any offence to the gods that might have been interpreted. I saw then that I was in a terrible place. Either I gave offence to their gods, thus proving my disdain for them and the Corsicans, or I renounced my own God, losing my hope forever of seeing my loved ones in Paradise. The distress of the situation was such that I began to weep, asking to return to my master’s ship, for I could not forsake my God to do as he asked.

He was clearly distressed by my answer, but felt that I was trying to bargain for my position. “Do not be hasty,” he said, “for nobody would have you forsake any god, only to include in your devotion the gods of the country in which hospitality has been offered you. I have within my power, the means to offer you your freedom again. Sacrifice to the gods, girl. I will give your master as much as he likes and dissolve the bond of your state."

I saw the temptation before me clearly now, and knew my fate was sealed, for I could not exchange the hope of Paradise for a fleeting earthly freedom from my bondage as a slave. They offered a temporal freedom, in exchange for my soul. I knew that I could not take further steps into sin and still hope for the favour of God. This Felix I now saw as a tempter, set to destroy my soul, and I was angered greatly at his deceit.

I dried my eyes and told Felix "My liberty is the service of Christ, whom I serve every day with a pure mind. As for that error of yours, I not only do not venerate it, I detest it."

I might have chosen my words more carefully, noting that our Lord Jesus himself did not insult the gods of the Romans who crucified him, but was enraged that Felix would try to sway me by such obvious wiles.

Felix for his part became further enraged. I suddenly felt him strike me with his full fist on my right cheek. The pain was blinding to me, who had never before been struck thus, and I fell to the ground stunned. Felix was shouting now, calling me a vain and misguided girl, an affront to virtue, and other insults. He dragged me up from the ground, tearing my dress at the front, and as I was lifted, struck me again with his fist, this time on the left cheek. My dress now hung open, displaying the modest swell of my young breasts. Indeed my left breast was fully exposed, showing the darker rounded tip. I stood, too shocked at his attack to even think to try to cover myself.

Felix commanded the onlookers to strike blows to my face, which they did. One man held me up while several of the villagers struck me, some slapping with their open hands, and some with their fists. I tasted my own blood in my mouth, and knew there were other cuts to my skin where some person’s jewelery had scratched a gouge down my cheek. I remained conscious for only 3 or 4 blows.

At some point, I was revived with a bucket of cold water. My face felt bruised and I must have looked terrible. I hoped they had done enough and that Eusebius might arrive soon and save me from further pain and suffering. But Felix was now bent on my degradation. He ordered that I be further punished by having my hair cut short.

I had lovely long hair, which Eusebius prized. I knew he found it beautiful, and it made me feel beautiful. Stunned by my beating, I could not resist and they forced me to sit on a stool and took turns hacking at my hair until it hung just to my shoulders. As I realized what was happening to me, I wept. I cried for my master to intervene for me, but the townsfolk and Felix laughed. As my long tresses dropped around me to the dirt, Felix leaned his face to my bruised visage and told me that I was beyond Eusebius’ help now, as I had insulted the gods of Corsica on Corsican ground. This was punishable by death, as prescribed by Roman law that even Eusebius could not alter. He said, however, that he was prepared to be merciful. If I were to even now make sacrifice to the gods, my life would be spared.

View attachment 238041 The Martyrdom of St. Julia

by Jollyrei

We were several days out at sea from Syria, heading for Gaul. My name is Julia, and I was a slave of my master Eusebius. I had not always been a slave. I was born in Carthage, in North Africa, and spent my early years there raised by my parents. When I was in my teen years, Carthage was captured by the Vandals.

The Vandals were heathens and enemies of the Christian faith of my family. They thus sold many good Christians into slavery. I was about 18 or 19 years old with clear light caramel skin, and long dark hair. The Vandals, having arrested my family, decided that I, as a beautiful young strong woman, would gain them a good price. It was thus that I was sold to pirates, who in turn sold me to Eusebius, a wealthy merchant trading from ports in Syria.

Of my slavery to Eusebius, I can have little complaint. My daily duties were to maintain Eusebius' apartments and living quarters. In all my service to him, I followed the teachings of the Apostle Paul which bade me obey my earthly masters, even if they were not themselves of our faith. Indeed, it was quite easy to obey the orders of Eusebius, who was a kind master, more inclinded to gentle instruction than the use of the whip. I tried to do my duties diligently, and indeed Eusebius said he had never lived in such clean quarters, either on land or on board ship.

At first, Eusebius tried diligently to turn me from following Christ. I had taken to reading the holy scriptures on my time off, and sometimes confess that I forgot to eat during my devotional study. When I started becoming thin, Eusebius forbade me from practicing the true faith, but I protested and cried most bitterly, until he relented (he was kindhearted, as I noted), and he said I might continue to pray to the Lord Jesus if I must, but I was never to fast again. To this I readily and joyfully agreed.

I being a young girl, unwitting in the ways of men, and with no mother to guide me, soon found myself caring as much for his welfare as he seemed to have for mine. I confess that when he asked that I go to his bed, a part of me knew that it was against the laws of God, but I reasoned that God had given me to Eusebius, and the laws of slavery were such that a slave had to obey the master, and this was taught also by the Apostles. And so I came to have a "fleshly master" and I found I cherished these times with Eusebius, and rather dreaded the time when he would tire of me, and I would no longer have his affection, or the pleasurable physical results of that affection.

Even so, the conflict within me grew, and I grew more diligent in prayers for forgiveness from my sins, even while I desired more and more to hold Eusebius close to me and feel him deep inside me. While neither the Lord nor his holy mother (who managed to stay a virgin, they say, although how that is possible I am not sure, considering the scriptures mention Jesus' siblings) gave me any counsel, I consoled myself that neither had the Lord seen fit to punish me with a plague or sudden death, and hoped by other diligent good works and devotion to still gain access to Paradise.

For all these reasons, I became even more prized by Eusebius, and he would not have me separated from him. And so it was that I was his house slave on board his ship, as we sailed for Gaul with expensive cargo of silks and spices. Finally one evening Eusebius sighted Corsica, and decided to anchor in a bay there for the night. As we dropped anchor, he noted the sounds of music and merriment in the town by the bay, and saw many lights.

"Truly," he said, "it must be they are having a festival to honour some god. We shall go ashore, as befits visitors, and join them in these sacred festivities. All members of the crew, including slaves shall attend, out of respect for our hosts."

At this I begged him most earnestly, saying that I could not do homage to other gods. In my mind, I knew that because of my sexual sins, if I then went to worship other gods, I might as well give up hopes of ever being reunited with my parents in heaven. Eusebius seemed slightly vexed, but his love for me compelled him to agree. He told the crew that under no circumstance was anyone to mention my presence on the ship, or my reason for not going to the festival. The crew appeared to agree, and indeed I heard the bo'sun say that it was no issue to him if religious wenches didn't want to have fun, but didn't quite understand how a religious wench could avoid a religious festival. In any case, I felt secure. We would be in Corsica but one night, in any case. Surely nobody could be offended that one slave girl was not drinking to Poseidon's health.

I remained on the ship, feeling myself safe, but this was to be a temporary comfort. One of the crew, carried away in the heathen carousing, became loose-tongued from wine, and told of my presence. The story went from mouth to mouth until, by the time it got to the Tribune of the town, a certain Felix Saxo, I was described to him as a Christian fanatic, who derided the gods of the island and who had behaved in a manner most insulting to my master’s hosts and those who lived on the island.

Felix Saxo was himself a Corsican, not a Roman, so while he was most angered by the false stories he had heard of me, he was forced to be deferent to my master, Eusebius, who was a full citizen of Rome. He therefore approached my master and asked why this one woman remained on the ship, for he had heard that there was a girl on the ship who derided the worship of the gods.

Eusebius explained this to me with some amusement later that night when he returned to the ship. He said he told Felix that he had not been successful in moving me from what he called the superstition of the Christians, nor was he able to bring her to the pagan religion by threatening. He laughed as he said that he told Felix, “If she were not necessary because of her most faithful service I would already have had her tortured.”

As he spoke, his hand moved under my shift to my breasts, indicating the service he found most agreeable. I was vexed and alarmed by his account, but he soothed me most effectively, his deft finger gliding through the inner silk of my womanhood, and a spirit of wantonness overtook me and consoled me. As he guided his manhood into me, I was transported to that ecstasy where there was only goodness.

Eusebius lay with me afterward and held me close. He told me he would explain to me how much he valued me. He said that Felix had said, "Either compel her to give offerings to our gods, or give her to me in exchange for whichever four of my handmaidens please you, or for the price that was set for her." Felix had clearly been affronted by my refusal to worship his gods, but could not simply arrest me, being the property of a citizen of Rome. So he had offered a generous sum for me.

But Eusebius said, “I responded to him by saying that if he gave me all his property it would not come to the value of what you mean to me." I understood then that Eusebius loved me, slave though I was, and I slept secure in his arms.

I should not have succumbed to the temptations of the flesh and their insidious promise of comfort and security. Eusebius had promised Felix that he and his crew would stay for another day of the festival, feeling in his generous, but heathen heart that further honour to Poseidon would help speed his voyage to Gaul in safety. When I learned this, I became agitated, whereupon he caressed my cheek and assured me that Felix could not harm me while I remained on the ship, for that would be an intrusion that no Roman citizen would allow and would result in Felix losing his honours and position. I became more calm and he and the crew departed for the shore in the ship’s boats.

My solace was shortlived. In the early afternoon, I heard noises, as of a large crowd, and thought perhaps the crew was returning to the ship early. I went up on the deck as a mob of townspeople, and one or two of our own crew, all influenced greatly by wine, swarmed onto the deck and took hold of me in a most wanton fashion, exclaiming all the while that insulting Poseidon and the gods could not be tolerated and I should be forced ashore to answer to Felix Saxo, the Tribune.

I cried out, that I was innocent of the insults they accused me of, and that they should leave me on the ship, and that I was property of Eusebius their guest. I called for Eusebius to come to my aid, but he was not among the crowd. One of the men bound my hands, laughing as I protested and said the Eusebius had shown the gods such great honour pouring and drinking libations of wine, that he had succumbed to the effects and was now unlikely to awaken until nightfall.

I knew that once I was ashore, and standing in front of Felix, I could no longer count on the protection of Eusebius, for once on Corsica’s shore’s I would be subject to Felix’s authority, regardless of who owned me. As they forced me over the side of the ship and into one of the boats, I realized that I could not count on Eusebius to aid me, and would need to rely on my wits and the grace of God to help me until Eusebius awakened. I resolved therefore to atone for my previous sins, and hold fast to my faith, in hopes that the true God would save me.

As we reached the shores, I cried out one more time for Eusebius, but the town was of a good size, and he might have been sleeping off the effects of his excess with Poseidon far away across town. I was pulled protesting into the main square, decorated with flowers , and filled with revellers of all ages. Felix Saxo, the Tribune, was also there.

Felix came to me then, as if a friend, and bade the men loose my bonds, which they did. He said he was distressed that the mob had forced me onto land in Corsica, but as this had happened, he was now forced to consider the stories of my refusal to sacrifice to the gods. He said he understood that these stories may have been exaggerated by wine and malicious tongues. Thus speaking, he told me I would be treated as an honoured guest, as befitted one as highly prized as I, by such a noble citizen as my master. I hesitantly and deferentially thanked him for his kindness, asking him what I should do to go to Eusebius and thence back to the ship.

Then he told me that this was not his mind. He rather thought I would be more pleased to offer sacrifice to the gods, thus proving my innocence of the charges, and making amends for any offence to the gods that might have been interpreted. I saw then that I was in a terrible place. Either I gave offence to their gods, thus proving my disdain for them and the Corsicans, or I renounced my own God, losing my hope forever of seeing my loved ones in Paradise. The distress of the situation was such that I began to weep, asking to return to my master’s ship, for I could not forsake my God to do as he asked.

He was clearly distressed by my answer, but felt that I was trying to bargain for my position. “Do not be hasty,” he said, “for nobody would have you forsake any god, only to include in your devotion the gods of the country in which hospitality has been offered you. I have within my power, the means to offer you your freedom again. Sacrifice to the gods, girl. I will give your master as much as he likes and dissolve the bond of your state."

I saw the temptation before me clearly now, and knew my fate was sealed, for I could not exchange the hope of Paradise for a fleeting earthly freedom from my bondage as a slave. They offered a temporal freedom, in exchange for my soul. I knew that I could not take further steps into sin and still hope for the favour of God. This Felix I now saw as a tempter, set to destroy my soul, and I was angered greatly at his deceit.

I dried my eyes and told Felix "My liberty is the service of Christ, whom I serve every day with a pure mind. As for that error of yours, I not only do not venerate it, I detest it."

I might have chosen my words more carefully, noting that our Lord Jesus himself did not insult the gods of the Romans who crucified him, but was enraged that Felix would try to sway me by such obvious wiles.

Felix for his part became further enraged. I suddenly felt him strike me with his full fist on my right cheek. The pain was blinding to me, who had never before been struck thus, and I fell to the ground stunned. Felix was shouting now, calling me a vain and misguided girl, an affront to virtue, and other insults. He dragged me up from the ground, tearing my dress at the front, and as I was lifted, struck me again with his fist, this time on the left cheek. My dress now hung open, displaying the modest swell of my young breasts. Indeed my left breast was fully exposed, showing the darker rounded tip. I stood, too shocked at his attack to even think to try to cover myself.

Felix commanded the onlookers to strike blows to my face, which they did. One man held me up while several of the villagers struck me, some slapping with their open hands, and some with their fists. I tasted my own blood in my mouth, and knew there were other cuts to my skin where some person’s jewelery had scratched a gouge down my cheek. I remained conscious for only 3 or 4 blows.

At some point, I was revived with a bucket of cold water. My face felt bruised and I must have looked terrible. I hoped they had done enough and that Eusebius might arrive soon and save me from further pain and suffering. But Felix was now bent on my degradation. He ordered that I be further punished by having my hair cut short.

I had lovely long hair, which Eusebius prized. I knew he found it beautiful, and it made me feel beautiful. Stunned by my beating, I could not resist and they forced me to sit on a stool and took turns hacking at my hair until it hung just to my shoulders. As I realized what was happening to me, I wept. I cried for my master to intervene for me, but the townsfolk and Felix laughed. As my long tresses dropped around me to the dirt, Felix leaned his face to my bruised visage and told me that I was beyond Eusebius’ help now, as I had insulted the gods of Corsica on Corsican ground. This was punishable by death, as prescribed by Roman law that even Eusebius could not alter. He said, however, that he was prepared to be merciful. If I were to even now make sacrifice to the gods, my life would be spared.
Great post Jollyrei! Very interesting to write it from the perspective of Julia. I think you have done a great job. Keep it up!
:goodjob:

Of course, we have not gotten to the "good bit". Yet. :devil:

I think my most surreal moment in writing this story was about the point where "I" wanted "him" inside "my vagina". I really never thought I would ever say that. :p:rolleyes:
Perhaps that is why Pp sticks to writing from another's viewpoint and places such trust in his female collaborators.

View attachment 238041 The Martyrdom of St. Julia

by Jollyrei

This is excellent writing, Jollyrei! :)

One of the things I love about cruxforums is that it encourages you to try new things! I look forward to hearing from one of the girls as to what they thought about your vagina, but it read well to me! :D

Of course, we have not gotten to the "good bit". Yet. :devil:

I think my most surreal moment in writing this story was about the point where "I" wanted "him" inside "my vagina". I really never thought I would ever say that. :p:rolleyes:

Nothing strange about that, Jollyrei. Writing can be an act of exploring something new, as well as building from what is familiar. It can be a powerful thing for the writer, to go outside the bounds of their world, to do and to be something different.
And after all desire, the desire to connect with another person physically and emotionally, is something common to men and women. To want "him" inside "me" is the story of half the human race. You are exploring that side of the story.
Markus is a great example of a man who creates women with florid and well imagined interior lives, and as far as I can see women love his work :)

Attachments

• 0-ga5a.jpg
    0-ga5a.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 363
Markus is a great example of a man who creates women with florid and well imagined interior lives, and as far as I can see women love his work :)
indeed phlebas they love his work, however I sometimes think.................... Marcus is that the way? but humour he have and his characters are great

Getting into the mind of the 'opposite sex', and getting into the mind of a martyr,
are both challenging, and I feel you're achieving both very vividly, Jollyrei -
I read a good many accounts of martyrdoms, and this is one of the best-written and most sensitive
I've come across for a long time.

Part 2

By now, I liked Felix slightly less than I liked the worms of the earth, and I said to him that if Christ was flogged and crowned with thorns for me, why should I not endure this diminishment of the hair?

I saw a flash of rage cross through his eyes, and he stood. In a loud voice he announced that I had refused to recant the superstition of the Christians and had not only refused to honour their gods, but had compounded this with direct insults, which they had all heard. As Christ had been flogged, he sentenced me also to be flogged.

I was dragged up, and the mob, with Felix at its head, carried me along, stumbling and tripping to the edge of the square, where two posts were erected. I was pushed to stand between the two posts and my arms were stretched, one to each post and made fast by coarse ropes. Then one of the men, leering at me through his broken teeth grasped my already torn dress and tore it down my body, baring all for the entire town. The round fullness of my breasts were visible to all, and I felt gooseflesh in the cool breeze, which compounded my shame. The gaze of several of the men was clearly appreciating this view, and I felt the darker tips harden. I knew that the way the binding made me stand offered a view of my round bottom and the cleft between my legs, framed in the triangle of soft hair. I could feel the gaze of these wanton strangers as a kind of touch, unwanted and defiling.
Julia02a.jpg
The lash took my mind off the leering gaze of the crowd. I was given 10 strokes, but the whip used had several leather strands, each of which was tipped with something. After two blows, I could feel cuts and opening up the skin on my back. The pain was like fiery rakes, or talons. I cried out to God for strength and sobbed. At some point I fainted.

I awoke when they threw a bucket of seawater on me, causing me to scream in pain as the salt washed my torn and wounded back. I whispered for mercy, but the laughter and jesting of the crowd was such that nobody heard me. Felix finally motioned to two soldiers with him and they came and unbound me from the posts, whereupon I collapsed on the ground, still asking for mercy.

The soldiers pulled me up to my feet by my arms and tied the remains of my dress around my waist. I then had any hopes of mercy dashed as they brought forward a rough beam of wood and laid it across my shoulders. Then binding my arms to this beam, they forced me to begin walking through the town. I saw then that I would share the fate of my Lord, and hoped that I would, like the crucified thief, be found worthy to join him in Paradise.
Julia03a.jpg
At the time I had other concerns. The streets were stony and the stones were painful on my now bare feet. The crowds continued to push and jostle me, as I was forced down the narrow streets, some of which had stairs, up and down which I was forced to carry my fearful burden and instrument of my upcoming death.

I prayed for strength as I walked, but found it difficult to concentrate, and I felt no measure of divine mercy or comfort, only the harsh stone, bitter words. The humiliation of having to bear my cross through town, mostly naked, was only diminished by the considerable exhaustion I felt.

I do not remember much of that terrible last walk, only recalling when I thought I would drop, that we had reached a rocky cliff outside the town.

I heard the crowd, still murmuring their anger. I was now too tired to wonder that there was none there that offered me sympathy or spoke on my behalf. I began again to weep, thinking that I would never feel the comfort of Eusebius’ arms around me again, and in that moment the thought of the arms of my God felt very remote. I felt totally alone, standing with tears rolling down my bruised cheeks, too tired now to move.

A soldier came and roughly cut the patibulum from my shoulders and I felt the removal of the weight of it as a welcome relief. This was short-lived, as another man, it may have been the broken-toothed one who whipped me, pulled me by my arm.

I stumbled along with him for a few steps, and he turned me to face the crowd. I felt his hands go to my waist and pull, and the ragged cloth was again stripped from my body, and I stood completely naked and exposed. I stared at the man in humiliation and surprise, but he only gave me a leering grin. Still holding my arm, he kicked my feet out from under me and let me drop onto the ground. Then he dragged my arm back up so it was stretched above my head, and pressed the wrist down on wood.
Julia05b.jpg
I realized that they were about to nail me to my patibulum, and I panicked. I tried to roll away, but one of the soldiers held my legs firmly while another grabbed my other arm. Broken-teeth, pressed his knee into my forearm and raised a hammer. When it came down, I felt pain like I had never felt before, like my entire arm was a conduit for only pain. The hammering went on for what seemed like forever. I was screaming in pain, crying for Eusebius, pleading for mercy. I think my body lost control at one point and I expelled water between my legs, further soiling myself and the ground.

I saw Broken-teeth bring a large nail to my other hand, now pressed firmly to the wood. I begged him to stop. Had he not done enough to me? I saw he would not relent so I closed my eyes, feeling the tears of my desolation. Again I endured the agony of feeling my wrist pierced by the iron, the grinding of bone and sharp laceration of nerves, as I was fixed to my beam.

I fainted as they lifted the patibulum off the ground, pulling me up. I regained consciousness unable to breath and in a red haze of complete agony. I was hanging from my wrists, with my legs free. I flailed, trying to gain any leverage with my legs to take the weight off my wrists, held in place by the iron spikes, but there was none.

Broken-teeth appeared at the base of the cross and lifted one of my ankles, pressing it to the wood. Another man held the foot in place and Broken-teeth hammered more pain into my body, breaking my small foot and fixing it to the cross. This was followed by the same treatment to the other foot, until I hung on the cross, suspended on the wood, legs bent, naked and on lewd display for those whose gods I had insulted.

I do not know how long I have been here. I have seen several people come past. One was a sailor from our ship. He looked at me with obvious lust, staring at my exposed pubic hair and spread thighs, fixed in that position by the way my feet were nailed. I did not have the energy to speak, or any voice left. He saw me look into his eyes, and he dropped his gaze and hurried away. I had spoken to him once on board. I had thought I liked him. He was the only one I recognized. The rest were strangers.
Julia04a.jpg
I was displayed for them, forced to hang with arms and legs spread open, nothing private anymore. The only person I had ever offered myself to willingly, however, didn’t appear. Oh, Eusebius, my poor foolish love. What will you do when you find me? How will I face you, if I am still alive, broken and torn and spread open for the masses.

I gave myself to Eusebius in love. If that was a sin, I’m certainly paying the price for it now, forced to give myself to those who hate me. They don’t even want me, they just want to use me and humiliate me. I feel that should count for something in the balance of atonement.

How long have I been here? I remember earlier starting this review of what led me here. Was I telling someone or just thinking this to myself. I am so dry now. The pain is still there, but I fade in and out of consciousness. At one point I thought I was back with Eusebius, but it was a false dream. I awoke sobbing at the fresh feeling of loss with a feeling of false arousal between my open legs.

I can hardly press my body up anymore to get a breath. I have happily lost feeling in my hands, those hands that once turned pages of books, cooked food, or held a lover. They have turned to useless claws. My weight is like an anvil on my chest, I gasp for breath and I see an angel. I think it is an angel. For the first time since I set foot on Corsica I feel my pain receding. I almost smile. I feel a tear. I still have a tear to cry, but the angel smiles and I know I am safe. I lived for love. I feel the angel loves me.

Then there is no angel. There is a man running up the road, he is stumbling. I used to run, I think vaguely, but it no longer matters. He is crying, I notice, calling. “Julia, oh, Julia,” he says, “my sweet innocent girl.”

“Yes,” I want to say. “I am innocent. And I love you Eusebius, you poor idiot.” I worry that I may not be breathing anymore. But the pain is fading away so fast now, and I’m at peace and it’s so restful and dark. Surely I deserve that.

FIN

Beautifully written Jolltrei! I did not even need the manips you posted to have the images in my head. I was able to form the images of the story in my head just with your writing.
:clapping:Bravo!

Part 2

By now, I liked Felix slightly less than I liked the worms of the earth, and I said to him that if Christ was flogged and crowned with thorns for me, why should I not endure this diminishment of the hair?

I saw a flash of rage cross through his eyes, and he stood. In a loud voice he announced that I had refused to recant the superstition of the Christians and had not only refused to honour their gods, but had compounded this with direct insults, which they had all heard. As Christ had been flogged, he sentenced me also to be flogged.

I was dragged up, and the mob, with Felix at its head, carried me along, stumbling and tripping to the edge of the square, where two posts were erected. I was pushed to stand between the two posts and my arms were stretched, one to each post and made fast by coarse ropes. Then one of the men, leering at me through his broken teeth grasped my already torn dress and tore it down my body, baring all for the entire town. The round fullness of my breasts were visible to all, and I felt gooseflesh in the cool breeze, which compounded my shame. The gaze of several of the men was clearly appreciating this view, and I felt the darker tips harden. I knew that the way the binding made me stand offered a view of my round bottom and the cleft between my legs, framed in the triangle of soft hair. I could feel the gaze of these wanton strangers as a kind of touch, unwanted and defiling.
View attachment 238611
The lash took my mind off the leering gaze of the crowd. I was given 10 strokes, but the whip used had several leather strands, each of which was tipped with something. After two blows, I could feel cuts and opening up the skin on my back. The pain was like fiery rakes, or talons. I cried out to God for strength and sobbed. At some point I fainted.

I awoke when they threw a bucket of seawater on me, causing me to scream in pain as the salt washed my torn and wounded back. I whispered for mercy, but the laughter and jesting of the crowd was such that nobody heard me. Felix finally motioned to two soldiers with him and they came and unbound me from the posts, whereupon I collapsed on the ground, still asking for mercy.

The soldiers pulled me up to my feet by my arms and tied the remains of my dress around my waist. I then had any hopes of mercy dashed as they brought forward a rough beam of wood and laid it across my shoulders. Then binding my arms to this beam, they forced me to begin walking through the town. I saw then that I would share the fate of my Lord, and hoped that I would, like the crucified thief, be found worthy to join him in Paradise.
View attachment 238612
At the time I had other concerns. The streets were stony and the stones were painful on my now bare feet. The crowds continued to push and jostle me, as I was forced down the narrow streets, some of which had stairs, up and down which I was forced to carry my fearful burden and instrument of my upcoming death.

I prayed for strength as I walked, but found it difficult to concentrate, and I felt no measure of divine mercy or comfort, only the harsh stone, bitter words. The humiliation of having to bear my cross through town, mostly naked, was only diminished by the considerable exhaustion I felt.

I do not remember much of that terrible last walk, only recalling when I thought I would drop, that we had reached a rocky cliff outside the town.

I heard the crowd, still murmuring their anger. I was now too tired to wonder that there was none there that offered me sympathy or spoke on my behalf. I began again to weep, thinking that I would never feel the comfort of Eusebius’ arms around me again, and in that moment the thought of the arms of my God felt very remote. I felt totally alone, standing with tears rolling down my bruised cheeks, too tired now to move.

A soldier came and roughly cut the patibulum from my shoulders and I felt the removal of the weight of it as a welcome relief. This was short-lived, as another man, it may have been the broken-toothed one who whipped me, pulled me by my arm.

I stumbled along with him for a few steps, and he turned me to face the crowd. I felt his hands go to my waist and pull, and the ragged cloth was again stripped from my body, and I stood completely naked and exposed. I stared at the man in humiliation and surprise, but he only gave me a leering grin. Still holding my arm, he kicked my feet out from under me and let me drop onto the ground. Then he dragged my arm back up so it was stretched above my head, and pressed the wrist down on wood.
View attachment 238613
I realized that they were about to nail me to my patibulum, and I panicked. I tried to roll away, but one of the soldiers held my legs firmly while another grabbed my other arm. Broken-teeth, pressed his knee into my forearm and raised a hammer. When it came down, I felt pain like I had never felt before, like my entire arm was a conduit for only pain. The hammering went on for what seemed like forever. I was screaming in pain, crying for Eusebius, pleading for mercy. I think my body lost control at one point and I expelled water between my legs, further soiling myself and the ground.

I saw Broken-teeth bring a large nail to my other hand, now pressed firmly to the wood. I begged him to stop. Had he not done enough to me? I saw he would not relent so I closed my eyes, feeling the tears of my desolation. Again I endured the agony of feeling my wrist pierced by the iron, the grinding of bone and sharp laceration of nerves, as I was fixed to my beam.

I fainted as they lifted the patibulum off the ground, pulling me up. I regained consciousness unable to breath and in a red haze of complete agony. I was hanging from my wrists, with my legs free. I flailed, trying to gain any leverage with my legs to take the weight off my wrists, held in place by the iron spikes, but there was none.

Broken-teeth appeared at the base of the cross and lifted one of my ankles, pressing it to the wood. Another man held the foot in place and Broken-teeth hammered more pain into my body, breaking my small foot and fixing it to the cross. This was followed by the same treatment to the other foot, until I hung on the cross, suspended on the wood, legs bent, naked and on lewd display for those whose gods I had insulted.

I do not know how long I have been here. I have seen several people come past. One was a sailor from our ship. He looked at me with obvious lust, staring at my exposed pubic hair and spread thighs, fixed in that position by the way my feet were nailed. I did not have the energy to speak, or any voice left. He saw me look into his eyes, and he dropped his gaze and hurried away. I had spoken to him once on board. I had thought I liked him. He was the only one I recognized. The rest were strangers.
View attachment 238614
I was displayed for them, forced to hang with arms and legs spread open, nothing private anymore. The only person I had ever offered myself to willingly, however, didn’t appear. Oh, Eusebius, my poor foolish love. What will you do when you find me? How will I face you, if I am still alive, broken and torn and spread open for the masses.

I gave myself to Eusebius in love. If that was a sin, I’m certainly paying the price for it now, forced to give myself to those who hate me. They don’t even want me, they just want to use me and humiliate me. I feel that should count for something in the balance of atonement.

How long have I been here? I remember earlier starting this review of what led me here. Was I telling someone or just thinking this to myself. I am so dry now. The pain is still there, but I fade in and out of consciousness. At one point I thought I was back with Eusebius, but it was a false dream. I awoke sobbing at the fresh feeling of loss with a feeling of false arousal between my open legs.

I can hardly press my body up anymore to get a breath. I have happily lost feeling in my hands, those hands that once turned pages of books, cooked food, or held a lover. They have turned to useless claws. My weight is like an anvil on my chest, I gasp for breath and I see an angel. I think it is an angel. For the first time since I set foot on Corsica I feel my pain receding. I almost smile. I feel a tear. I still have a tear to cry, but the angel smiles and I know I am safe. I lived for love. I feel the angel loves me.

Then there is no angel. There is a man running up the road, he is stumbling. I used to run, I think vaguely, but it no longer matters. He is crying, I notice, calling. “Julia, oh, Julia,” he says, “my sweet innocent girl.”

“Yes,” I want to say. “I am innocent. And I love you Eusebius, you poor idiot.” I worry that I may not be breathing anymore. But the pain is fading away so fast now, and I’m at peace and it’s so restful and dark. Surely I deserve that.

FIN

wonderfully written...kudos !!!

Back
Top Bottom