The Pictgirl Against Rome

Go to CruxDreams.com

Abendlaender

Assistant executioner
Settings

We are in the year 305 AD, when Constantius I was emperor of the West within the tetrarchic reign of the Roman empire. An uprising was underway in Roman Britain. While Constantius I was fighting this uprising to restore Roman power in Britain siuth of the Hadrian's Wall, he as well did one last try to establish Roman power north up to the Antonius' Wall where Scots and Picts were living. Britain is in troublesome times as the Picts were invading Roman Britain from time to time while Rome forwarded quite far north of the Hadrian's Wall. However, none of both seemed to gain the final victory for decades. Within this settings, the story of a Pictish village is being told in scrpts shortly found in a cellar of a Monastery in York. For centuries, the cellar holding some scripts of Roman authors telling about the Pictish-Roman wars has long been forgotten after monks had walled up the cellar to save these scripts when Vikings were again and again raiding York without sparing monasteries. While renovating the Monastery in our days, the scripts have been fiund again and restored for the sake to read about Pictish-Roman wars of which little has been known until then. The Pictish-Roman Wars have shortly been put into a novel by a Scottish author.

Last edited:
Settings

We are in the year 305 AD, when Constantius I was emperor of the West within the tetrarchic reign of the Roman empire. An uprising was underway in Roman Britain. While Constantius I was fighting this uprising to restore Roman power in Britain siuth of the Hadrian's Wall, he as well did one last try to establish Roman power north up to the Antonius' Wall where Scots and Picts were living. Britain is in troublesome times as the Picts were invading Roman Britain from time to time while Rome forwarded quite far north of the Hadrian's Wall. However, none of both seemed to gain the final victory for decades. Within this settings, the story of a Pictish village is being told in scrpts shortly found in a cellar of a Monastery in York. For centuries, the cellar holding some scripts of Roman authors telling about the Pictish-Roman wars has long been forgotten after monks had walled up the cellar to save these scripts when Vikings were again and again raiding York without sparing monasteries. While renovating the Monastery in our days, the scripts have been fiund again and restored for the sake to read about Pictish-Roman wars of which little has been known until then.
Interest setting! But who shall write the story? I remind me weak on you. You are yourself a writer. "Three brave Brits"?

Just in case there's any confusion,
“The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).”
W.C. Sellar and R. J. Yeatman, 1066 and All That: A Memorable History of England

Last edited:
The title is to long!
The Girl and the last conquer
The Pictgirl and the Emperor
The manuscript out the cellar
The lost history of a Pictain Girl

The Picts were well known by the Romans to have female fighters in their rows. Women had more rights within the Picts than in Roman society as was the case in Roman Britain. Boudicca has been well known well after the British tribes were defeated by the Romans. The braveness of the Celtic warriors has always remained examples to the Celtic and Pictish tribes thereafter in their fight against tries to conquer the whole island of Britain. After the defeat against Germanic tribes, the Romans did not succeed in defeating the Picts but for short periods.

In the Pictish village called Alpin Daera, great part of its habitants were warriors as they desperately fighted against Roman tries to get power of the whole islamd. As well, a few young girls were among the warriors which had caused some controversy within the village. Some argued that the Roman Empire is a very mighty foe requiring the most brave and strong men. Women may have too many weaknesses against that powerful woe. Others argued that everybody is needed in these battles who are not overwhelmed with fright while thinking about Roman legions, be it man or woman. In order ro prove braveness, new warriors will be send to Roman Britain to witness Roman punishments against those defeated or rebels against Roman power, mostly crucifixion or sending them to Rome as slaves. However, about one girl called Circiona, there have been no doubts about her qualities as warrioress and leader in battle like it was the case with Boudicca. Let us speak herself.

The Picts were well known by the Romans to have female fighters in their rows. Women had more rights within the Picts than in Roman society as was the case in Roman Britain. Boudicca has been well known well after the British tribes were defeated by the Romans. The braveness of the Celtic warriors has always remained examples to the Celtic and Pictish tribes thereafter in their fight against tries to conquer the whole island of Britain. After the defeat against Germanic tribes, the Romans did not succeed in defeating the Picts but for short periods.

In the Pictish village called Alpin Daera, great part of its habitants were warriors as they desperately fighted against Roman tries to get power of the whole islamd. As well, a few young girls were among the warriors which had caused some controversy within the village. Some argued that the Roman Empire is a very mighty foe requiring the most brave and strong men. Women may have too many weaknesses against that powerful woe. Others argued that everybody is needed in these battles who are not overwhelmed with fright while thinking about Roman legions, be it man or woman. In order ro prove braveness, new warriors will be send to Roman Britain to witness Roman punishments against those defeated or rebels against Roman power, mostly crucifixion or sending them to Rome as slaves. However, about one girl called Circiona, there have been no doubts about her qualities as warrioress and leader in battle like it was the case with Boudicca. Let us speak herself.

Sounds exciting!

Now, let us Circiona speak herself as in the novel based upon the scricpts in the monastery.

The war of Boudicca against Rome has since my childhood been told again and again. The Romans as a civilisation is without doubt highly developed. But the richdom of Rome is in great parts build upon slaves of defeated tribes from everywhere within the Roman Empire. One leader of ourselves has once said that the so called Pax Romana leaves behind a desert. He was right. Yes, by collaborating with the Romans, people have got fine villas and stylish clothes in former times. But at which cost? Tribes had sold their souls for Roman civilisation. We all want peace and comfort, but we, the Picts, do never sell our soul and cherish their Emperors. And they will never conquer us. We will rather surrender to the Scots than the Romans. At least, the Scots will not enslave our peaple and parade us as wild animals along their capital. Who knows, perhaps we Britons will one day merge together against the Barbarians from across the sea in the North and the South. The Romans are looking upon ourselves as wild subhumans as we do not obey the Romans as dogs towards their masters. We as well have our civilisation. One day, when the Roman Empire will fall down, their civilisation will live on among free peoples. I have heard of a belief called the Christians. In some parts of their Empire, they persecute them so babarically as they fear that they have the better model of society than the Roman gods of tyranny. The Christians have understood that Roman tolerance is no true tolerance if they demand to sacrifice in favor of the Emperor. If Germanic tribes could defeat Roman Legions, we will do as well! Even if they will win a few battles and crucify our people, they will never defeat all of us as they are in trouble quite everywhere on their borders. The wind of freedom has spread everywhere!

Through the tales of former times, we are aware of their strategies quite well. They want to terrify everybody by mass crucifixions and make people to bow to Rome and harass former friends on the cross. This will not work out any more in our lands! Many Romans have become cowards since they have got too used to wellbeing. I have myself witnessed legionaries running away as soon as they were due to crucify defeated folks. Even more ruthless than the Romams are the Celts serving for them. Britain could be free, yet, if these cowards would not serve them as paid soldiers. I feel pity for some Roman legionaries who are forced to serve in their army.

When I have witnessed crucifixions as all our warriors should for the sake to break the Roman strategy of terrifying, I habe been strangely fascinated by the thought of sacrifying my life for our tribes. The sight of crucified bodies has turned me on and thinking about myself being in bright sight to onlookers. Yes, it is a humiliating and painful death. Why is it that I enjoy this intensive feeling of being alive? Is something wrong with myself? What about the poor executioners who will face the anger of whatever god while I like the thought of sacrifyimg my life? What will any god or perhaps the three-in-one god of the Christians say if I forgive my possible executioner? What about those legionaries that do follow orders and nothing more? Dying on a cross is without doubt the most intensive span of your life. Martyrdom will certainly enforce our fighting spirits! Will I resign to my fate as soon as they order me to carry my cross and feel a spike on my wrists and feet? I do not want to beg for mercy like a coward. It is certainly easier for some executioners to do their job if you behave like a brave warrior. But will I dominate myself right inmidst the ongoing crucifixions?- Perhaps, the Christian god will prove his power to strengthen my spirit! I do not understand a teaching called love towards ennemies. In daily life, revenge will weaken ourselfes even if we do not like some persons. In battle defending ourselves as a tribe, the ennemies will not stop endangering us. To kill them on behalf of our people, is it not more brave than making slaves of them?

Just in case there's any confusion,
“The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).”
W.C. Sellar, 1066 and All That: A Memorable History of England

Sellar and Yeatman, surely!

Edward I, who had already (in his Saladin days) piously decimated several thousand Turks at Nazareth, now felt so strong that he decided to Hammer the Scots, who accordingly now come right into History.
The Scots were now under the leadership of the Bruce (not to be confused with the Wallace), who, doubtful whether he had slain the Red Comyn or not, armed himself with an enormous spider and marched against the English, determined if possible to win back the Great Scone by beating the English three times running.

RO60076024.jpg

Sellar and Yeatman, surely!

Edward I, who had already (in his Saladin days) piously decimated several thousand Turks at Nazareth, now felt so strong that he decided to Hammer the Scots, who accordingly now come right into History.
The Scots were now under the leadership of the Bruce (not to be confused with the Wallace), who, doubtful whether he had slain the Red Comyn or not, armed himself with an enormous spider and marched against the English, determined if possible to win back the Great Scone by beating the English three times running.

View attachment 491052
oops, I don't know how R. J. Yeatman vanished. :oops:
Honi soit qui mal y pense - May he be shamed who thinks badly of it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honi_soit_qui_mal_y_pense
'Honey, your silk stocking's hanging down' (op. cit.) :p

In the summer of 305 AD, emperor Constantius I, called as well Clorus, untertoke a campaign against the Picts. Without terrifying the soldiers with severe punishment, it would be hard to lead legions to Pictland as many soldiers think of that campaign to be useless while the Empire has so much troubles everywhere to keep their power over society. It seems that some soldiers let Pictish warriors go north of the Hadrian's Wall as martyring brave warriors enforces their fighting spirit even more. Let us Aegidius, a soldier, speak himself.

Why on earth does emperor Constantius Clorus send us to the end of the world while we have enough troubles everywhere to keep control over the empire?! What a silly idea! We have more weightful provinces than Britain or this Pictland full of barbarian warriors!? If we crucify some of them, more will follow them. The nasty pig of Diocletian puts the empire on danger by slaughtering the Christians. By doing so, more and more will follow them and in the same time turn against Rome. It is time that the experi,ent of the tetrarchy will end and the next emperor acknowledges that we cannot ignore the Christians any more. We should kill him as Caesar was killed for his arrogance. When Diokletian entered the throne, I had hoped that he would unite the Empire by his reforms. But by slaughtering these harmless Christians, he has demolished everything. We ought to spend money on strengthening the Limes Walls instead of silly campaigns. Does Constantius not remember the disaster with Hermann the Cheruscan? We need to consolidate the Empire from within. We nwed so much a true Pax Romana. Otherwise, the Empire will one day implode.

One day, they ordered us to crucify whoever we could get of the Pictish warriors. They have female warriors, too. How on earth can it be that these warriors of weak gender are that brave? We wanted to let go a bunch of warriors, among them a few girls who did not massacre soldiers gruesomely. However, two girls shouted at us to go on or if we were cowards. As they wanted to inform the centurion of having cowards in our legion, we had to crucify them even if we hated the job. We have to fullfill silly ideas of those in Rome. They forgave us for doing our job. Were they Christians? Most of those to be crucified are begging for mercy, but there are a few that are behaving strangely. They are resigned to their fates and seem to enjoy the spectacle themselves. What is wrong with them? Do the Picts have magic drinks that so many of them suffer so stoically? Of course, they make it easier for us to crucify them if we cannot let them go when our centurion is nearby. I would rather crucify criminals and rebels who demolish the Empire from within than such brave warriors. Some of the executioners hate their job, too. If you enjoy this job, you are no true human being. But what should we do? Let Roman civilization and culture implode from within? As disgusting crucifying people is, sometimes the duty is unavoidable. Stubborn slaves are as well a high risk to our power for which crucifixion is necessary.

Now, it is again the turn of Circiona.

If Boudicca had not fought agaimst the Romans, they would probably have come to Pictlamd. Unfortunately, she did not win. But at least, the uprising had given the Romans a blow that they will always win in sitting, as they say. Certainly, this had bothered them to grip power over the whole of Britain.

It is a pity that Caldina is jealous of myself as Drust has chosen to marry me instead of herself. I have tried to reconcile with her, but she refuses. She has as well joined our troop in the fight against Rome which worries me for our fighting power. Could she not join another troop? What kf she gets cfucified? Will she be broken? Will she do everything to escape the cross? I myself am ready to go onto the cross! This will let me stay in the minds of our village. The Romams will not break us! The West Romans have become cowards why I think they will soon leave Britain after Constamtius Clorus will be dead with his crauy ambitions while he wants not to acknowledge reality.

Last edited:
The troop of Circiona is underway towards Hadrian's wall to pass into Roman Britain where they will meet with a legion for battle. But as soon as they want to pass Hadrian's wall, they get caught into a trap, chained and put into cells of a castel. But Drust, Corciona's husband, and Caldina, are not among the prisoners. Where are they.

While in chains and in the castel, Circiona is wondering where Drust and Caldina are. Did they not want as well to fight the Romams to come into Pictland? Did Drust not promise eternal love? While thinking over everything, Circiona falls asleep and dreams about her doom. She is less afraid of what to happen with herself, but the worries if they have been traited by her own husbamd and Caldina out of jealosy. Could she be that wrong about Drust's mindset? She is dreaming about them hanging together on crosses overlooking the hills of Britain and that Roman power is diminishing more and more over Britain after they get back some control from the self-declared emperor Carausius for a short time. She is dreaming about crucifixions to end shortly after Komstantin, the son of Constantius, has become the new emperor and defined the Christian faith to be the faith of the state. And Drust as well as Caldina are foumd in a Roman tent to tell them where Circiona's troop will pass to meet a legion for battle while other Picts will co,e suddenly out of the forests nearby. In her dream, Circiona is crying about this sad treason. Why on earth are they that evil to collaborate with Romams out of jealousy? Can they, at least, not differ between our private life in our community and the tribal fight? After she has been woken from the dream, she is wondering how crimes will be flooding the world when crucifixion will be abolished to show off criminals. What else punishments are there to replace crucifixions? And is it not suitable for brave warriors to sacrifice their lives in cruel punishments? Crucifixion is certainly effective to fight criminals. If criminals are not aware but of their very own wellbeing by stealing, betraying, injurong or even killing people of their own community, they certainly deserve nothing better.

The warriors of Circionas troop are confined chained until warmer weather comes with spring as the Romans do not want them to die quickly of cold. But one day, the cell doors fling open while they are chaimed together. While Circiona has put off jer clothes when she got chained as she thought that she will never again need them, others are hesitating to get fully naked. As one of their leaders, Circiona shouts to obey for the sake to not satisfy the Romans by visible humiliation. Even if they are uncomfortable, they must not show that. She thinks that they are warriors, aren't they? They did all know what fate they can meet. They have all witnessed crucifixions. However, a few of them are fighting to not show arousal. Their minds and bodies shall be secrets to the Romans! But to each other, we tell our true feelings in oir tongue that the Romans do not umderstand. The time in the castell has been excitong to Circiona as she finds out how to endure torture amd to domimate emotions and bodily feelings. When they were lead out of the cells to work on the castell, a few of them did comfort others. And among the simple soldiers, there are nice boys. But they are caught in their Roman mindsets. Perhaps, they will leave their mindset as soon as Roman power will withdraw. Truly evil are their leaders like Crassus whose bloodthirst can never be satisfied, be it warriors, dangerous rebels or the simple people without any links to warfare and claim voctories of others for themselves. The rather innocemt soldiers will be freed of Roman mindset as soon as the whole of Brotain will be ours.

Last edited:
The ordeal begins

A centurio of the area around Hadrian's announces that they are from now on in the war prisoners and therefore owned by the Roman empire while he has this translated into Pictish. Some will be crucified and others sold into slavery. Those who do not surrender into slavery will as well crucified. Circiona and her people are ordered to line up in one row and get their hands shackeld behind the back. The centurion himself and a few soldiers of his trust are marching along the uplined Picts and select those for slavery and crucifixion. While some selected for crucifixion are begging for mercy, some others selected for slavery refuse to go with the slave traders and are delivered to the crucifixion troop. What a noise of cries, shouts, pleads! Strong men begging for mercy can be seen on the one hand and stoic girls on the other hand, while of course everything between these outer ends of behaviour of what you expect. It is unbelievable how strong and trained warriors are like nothing more than crying and pleading little boys and a few young girls are seemingly hardened like iron what the Romans astonish the most. However, it does not help. They all are driven to march into Roman Britain and to pick up patibulum and stipes as there are no ever-lasting stipes in this lands at the world's end. While some are stumbling under the heavy timber, others seem to carry the burden with ease.

In the rhythm of spankings, the miserable march of pain is going on and on into the horizon of the sinking sun. Sweaty and welted bodies are glistening in the gloomy sunlight. As the Romans rest a few hours in the night, the prisoners as well get some rest while lying down shackled onto the cross timbers as they are just ready to get nailed, yet. For the sake to control the whole bunch of people, they mixed tranquilizing herbs into the water. Below the stars, Circions is thinking about the last days as well as what's the matter with Drust and Caldina. What about the three-in-one God of the Christians? Are they telling the truth? The Pictish gods demand sacrifices to grant welfare. How can it happen that Christians are am inferior sect of such Rabbi from Jerusalem while I have never heard of a god that comes to us humans first und makes us an offer? Why does Diocletian and some Romans hate this god so much? Is it their rotten pride? She is of course afraid of the coming ordeal, but somehow looking forward to a heroic death. Who is going to live through such extraordinary bright stretches of life and such gloomy agony? What happened to Boudicca once? Is it true that she killed herself? Why did she not get crucified or did she? What about her family?

When the rising sun awakened Circiona with its spells, she feels her feet in the grass and her back on the rough timbers. She enjoys all her feelings and lets herself fall into the grip of passion. Yes, she is a warrioress to the ground on behalf of her people. While she is lost into the cloud of everywhere and nowhere, the chains are rattling and some forwarding force pulls her onto the feet under the heavy burden of timbers. A few spankings along the line and orders in Latin and Pictish get them march again. As they pass villages, the girls and handsome boys get admiring views. There was shudder and strange fascination in the eyes of onlookers, but as well waves of fighting spirit. A red-haired, fair-skinned girl looked as if she wanted to join the march of pain. But Circiona told her while passing by to become a warrioress which might be rewarded by martyrdom as long as Roman power will not be overthrown. Some people were frightened like chased rabbits when they saw the naked and half-naked bodies. Hate and nasty smiles are not to be found but mostly in Roman faces only. They ought to be aware what the anger might be in coming times. Our days will come! But I am not joyful about revenge as it will bring chaos. Let us then crucify some of the nastiest, criminal Crassus-like Romans, drive out the ruling class and integrate the decent ones! Britain will certainly gain benefits from their knowledge and they from our traditional knowledge. Coming generations will build a new, free Britain!

While nearing a hill where the prisoners of war will be crucified, Caldina and Drust meet the march of pain. A Roman tent is as well in sight. A few legions are camping on there way towards Pictland. As Circiona sees Drust and Caldina, she shouts at them in joy while driven further to her cross place. She asks a soldier if Caldina and Drust are as well to be crucified. As soon as she is told "yes", she begs to be crucified beside them. Caught by surprise, the Romans grant her the wish. Meant as mocking the prisoners of war, they then ask if anybody else has wishes as to place after which some Picts change places, perhaps in the hope to postpone the crucifixions.

As the preparatioms are going on, Circiona begins to speak:"Dear Drust amd Caldina, how glad Iam to see you again and to suffer beside you. Where have you been on the way towards Hadrian's Wall? I have not seen you simce anywhere!"

Caldina answers:"Please, Circiona, forgive me! I have been a nasty traitoress. When Drust married you, it has hurt my heart amd lost my mimd. Therefore, when our troop was lying down to rest, I went away while searching for a Roman legion and a centurion to tell that you are going towards Hadrian's Wall and further to meet a legion for battle. I told them that you are planning as well to burn down settlements and castells of Romans and where exactly you want to pass Hadrian's Wall. Please, please, forgive me, dear Circiona! I have convinced Drust to come with me to look for legions and to later report what we have found out to our troop. Yes, I have lied to Drust. My hope was that he will willingly tell everything to the centurio to save himself from the cross. And last but not least, I had as well hoped that he would get to love me and betray you. Please, forgive me! I beg forgiveness! What nasty chick I have been! Why did I lose my mind like that?! We went back to our village for wellbeing. We told the children and elderly people that we were afraid of their wellbeing and therefore came back. At first, Drust enjoyed the life back in our village and around me. But some days later, he became aware of how evil the treason of his own tribal warriors was and became angry that I did lie and drove him to do so. But let us himself tell what happened."

Drust:"Please, honey, forgive me! I have been such a coward! When Caldina told me to come with her to observe movements of legions amd their numners of men, I thought this would be a good idea! When she went straight towards a Roman tent, I was so astonished and asked her what she wants to do. Then, she told me that she has to take recenge on you. In the hope to spare myself from the cross that awaits rebels and ennemies of Rome caught by the Romams, I came with her and told everything about our troop. Then, I went home to our village with Caldina. Some days, we enjoyed wellbeing in the quiet village. However, I had to think about our troop and my cowardness. Since I did not sleep well and my bad conscience did not loose its grop onto me and got to develope anger towards Caldina, I decided to go to the centurio again as I felt due to take action to correct the treason by telling that Caldina wanted to misroute the Romans. Naive as I was, I thought that the centurio would believe me straightaway. What an error! The cemturio became redened of anger and roared if we rotten Pictish bastards really meant that Romans will be playmates for our rivalries. He commanded to seize me and send soldiers to seize Caldina as well at omce. When Caldina arrived in chaines, we were tortured for the sake to get the truth out of ourselves. After I stated that Caldina told the truth because I could not stand anymore the torture, Caldina at first was sickened of my action. It is true that some tortures might be worse than crucifixion if used constantly, like water torture which makes you feel drowning constamtly. Later, I was on the rack for hours at a stage that your joints can dislocate every time or yoir sinews snap. On our march of pain with timbers on our backs, we have reconciled with each other. Caldrina promised to me to give me supporr as much as she can. We became aware that we have acted headless hoping that such troubles are not happening within other Pictish troops which the Romans will use for their sake voluntarily. Now, we are here. Let us make the best of it and always look on the bright sight of life."

Circiona is speechless.

Back
Top Bottom