Tortured Women

• Thread starter Deleted member 16647
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I haven't seen this one for long time
View attachment 753956

I think this is Gustav Dore ilustration of Esmeralda torture in "Notre-Dame de Paris "
À un signe de Charmolue, on la replaça sur le lit, et deux grosses mains assujettirent à sa fine ceinture la courroie qui pendait de la voûte.
– Une dernière fois, avouez-vous les faits de la cause ? demanda Charmolue avec son imperturbable bénignité.
– Je suis innocente.
– Alors, madamoiselle, comment expliquez-vous les circonstances à votre charge ?
– Hélas, monseigneur ! je ne sais.
– Vous niez donc ?
– Tout !
– Faites, dit Charmolue à Pierrat.
Pierrat tourna la poignée du cric, le brodequin se resserra, et la malheureuse poussa un de ces horribles cris qui n'ont d'orthographe dans aucune langue humaine.
– Arrêtez, dit Charmolue à Pierrat. – Avouez-vous ? dit-il à l'égyptienne.
– Tout ! cria la misérable fille. J'avoue ! j'avoue ! grâce !
Elle n'avait pas calculé ses forces en affrontant la question. Pauvre enfant dont la vie jusqu'alors avait été si joyeuse, si suave, si douce, la première douleur l'avait vaincue.
– L'humanité m'oblige à vous dire, observa le procureur du roi, qu'en avouant c'est la mort que vous devez attendre.
– Je l'espère bien, dit-elle. Et elle retomba sur le lit de cuir, mourante, pliée en deux, se laissant pendre à la courroie bouclée sur sa poitrine.

So, ma'moiselle, how do you explain the circumstances you are charged with?
"Alas, my lord! I do not know.'
- So you deny them?'
- All of them!'
"Do it," said Charmolue to Pierrat.
Pierrat turned the handle of the jack, the boots tightened, and the unfortunate girl uttered one of those horrible cries which have no spelling in any human language.
"Stop," said Charmolue to Pierrat. - Do you confess? he said to the gypsy.
- All of them! shouted the miserable girl. 'I confess! I confess! Mercy!'
She had over-estimated her strength for facing the interrogation.
Poor child whose life until then had been so joyous, so sweet, so tender, the first taste of pain had conquered her.
"Humanity compels me to tell you," observed the king's attorney, "that in confessing, it is death that you must expect.
"I really hope so," she said. And she fell back on the leather bed, fainting, doubled over, letting herself be tied by the strap buckled on her breast.

À un signe de Charmolue, on la replaça sur le lit...
An operatic version - not very explicit of course, but scary and dramatic
Thanks for the text, I didn't remember. Victor Hugo spares us the details of the question
The operatic version is extracted from a musical (comédie musicale) played in 1998 with great singers. Garou began his career with it.
In Paris, it was played at the Porte de Versailles.
Let's remark racism and xenophobia ('she is a foreigner'). Populism avant la lettre !
Detailed and interesting English article here

Whipped to blood (100 strokes)

View attachment 754677
Absolutely real and without anestesia
The operatic version is extracted from a musical (comédie musicale) played in 1998 with great singers. Garou began his career with it.
Let's remark racism and xenophobia ('she is a foreigner'). Populism avant la lettre !
Il said comédie musicale, I should have said drame musical
Thanks for the like !

Thanks for the text, I didn't remember. Victor Hugo spares us the details of the question
wonderfull drama

remebers me on the old art about beginning of modern theatre
1569569593405.png

if I remember well from my old art history class title was like directing the martyrdom of St Barbara

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom