Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
This morning, I needed this to uplift me a bit:

By the way, does anyone know why the Japanese are especially being fond of Beethoven's "Neunte Symphonie"?
They were often celebrating mass events with some 10.000 choir members from all over the country with live joinings of choirs from several Japanese cities and I think they always try to exceed the latest Beethoven-mass-record for the "Book of Records" :

And the flash-mobs about "Beethoven's Nineth" are sometimes also very nice:

By the way: I am somehow really depressed waiting for this week-end when I have to work on Saturday & Sunday night because - as you may already know - I am working now in a German hotel near the borders to Luxembourg, Belgium and France with many international guests at night and some guests are really reacting stranger than I had in memory of any kind of human behaviour. The hotel management told us not to serve or accept anyone who refuses to wear a mask during the check-in and to call the police in case of constant refusal. Usually the Germans do all accept to wear masks when asked without hesitation but some mask-refusers are arriving drunk or angry right from the beginning and some are from abroad and when you watch their reactions to our friendly asking for wearing masks ... you can only wonder how mankind succeeded to survive until now. Maybe, it is becoming too hot now in Germany to still use the brain but it is really sometimes more than embarrassing for the crew of this hotel. One of the very pretty and usuall very friendly young female shift leaders told me this dialogue just one hour before I arrived for the night-shift, when an extremely unfriendly man speaking perfect German with a slight unidentified foreign accent arrived to check-in:
- "Ich hab' hier ein Zimmer gebucht und möchte sofort einchecken! (= I booked a room and want to check in immediately!)"
- "Ich möchte Sie darum bitten, eine Schutzmaske zu tragen!" (I would like to ask you to wear a protection mask!)"
- "Hab' dazu gerade keine Lust! (= Have just now no lust for that!)"
- "Dann hab' ich auch keine Lust, Sie zu bedienen oder einzuchecken! Auf Wiedersehen! (Then I have no lust for serving you, too, or checking you in! Good-bye! )"
- "Also das ist doch eine grobe Unverschämtheit von Ihnen! (= So, this is a rude impertinence of you!)"
- "Nein, das ist eine Unverschämtheit, in diesen Zeiten sich selbst und andere in Gefahr zu bringen! Tragen Sie eine Maske oder verlassen Sie das Hotel! (No, this is an impertinence to endanger others and yourself by not wearing a mask. Wear a mask or leave this hotel!)"
Some mysogynistic insults by this man followed and my colleague took the telephone and said: "Go now or I call the police!" He slowly turned around and went away cursing my colleague and the hotel.
But now imagine this beautiful young female colleague two heads smaller than this angry idiot and he could easily have come around the desk. Some other guests at the lobby were watching and hesitating if they should interfere into this discussion in order to protect her or not. She really trembled a bit although we all felt pity for her and this job can be more exhausting in these times than one year before - may be even more dangerous because such idiots will probably more easily infect themselves and others than normal people.

I think, I will retreat for some time from this forum and all the threads here because on the one hand, I will try to find another job and this takes more time right now than some years before - and on the other hand, I probably would write some more unpleasant stories about some human beings and some politicians worldwide I really started to hate.
... And I am not very kind or friendly in my political "election-campaign-modus" when I think I must fight against human stupidity.
So, thank you to all here for your understanding and all the best for you!
Stay healthy and alive as long as possible!
;)

Last edited:
There are so many things about this that I love.
The marvelously evocative tune by Dougie MacLean, OBE
The memories of it as the theme in The Last of the Mohicans
This performance, however, really uplifts me.
The intense passion of the performer; her fingers playing so nimbly over the frets; her sensuous sliding of the bow over the vibrating strings: the pulsing of the beat...

Two versions of the famous Concerto BWV 1060 by J.S. Bach.

J.S. Bach - Concerto for two harpsichords in C minor, BWV 1060
Karl Richter, harpsichord / conducting & Hedwig Bilgram, harpsichord
Edit Klukon & Dezső Ránki, piano

J.S. Bach - Concerto for oboe & violin in D minor, BWV 1060R
Emma Black, oboe & Shunske Sato, violin / direction
Alicja Matuszczyk, oboe & Julia Iskrzycka, violin

This is from 2015, from the Phoenix, Arizona, USA Zoo's "winter in July event" (when it is usually 115 F), courtesy of the Phoenix Fire Department. I may have posted this before, but it is worth another go. The elephant in question, Reba, was euthanized in April of this year due to incurable health problems. She had been at the zoo for 20 years. This zoo only takes "problem elephants" (usually former circus elephants with "social" issues--Reba and her two companions did NOT form a herd, but hung out by themselves).

It uplifts me to hear some nice violin, some lessons as to how to play, and, of course, Princess Leia
That bra makes quite a neat violin rest. But has she done a cello tutorial in that kit? :devil:

This is good news of sorts on the Covid-19 front. Apparently public health measures work (as Italia is showing).
The Chiricauhua Apaches (Geronimo) were the last "tribe" "pacified", in 1930 or so, when the United States had a "constabulary" army between the world wars. (I recall reading somewhere an unbelievable figure: "5,000 troops, a QUARTER of the field strength of the United States Army, were deployed against Geronimo--supposedly the poor performance against Pancho Villa in 1916 was the reason Germany reinstated unrestricted submarine warfare and brought on the American declaration of war in April of 1917). The Apaches seem to be getting some well deserved benefit from the American government.

Attachments

• WhiteRiverReservation.pdf
    9.9 MB · Views: 4
Eye make-up gone wild? But great fun music!

Excessive thanks for turning me on to the Ayoub Sisters, PrPr. ;)

Excessive thanks for turning me on to the Ayoub Sisters, PrPr. ;)

Here's to you, @Apostate and @Eulalia

Back
Top Bottom