Virgins And Virgae

Go to CruxDreams.com
Virgins and Virgae

Lucius Valerius Livianus stifled yet another yawn as the meeting of the College of Pontiffs in the Regia was drawing to a close. All matters had met with quick and unanimous assent – the senators were keen on lengthening the recess and returning to Tibur or Tarracina or Baiae to enjoy the early June sun – but minor pontiffs kept droning on, with one thing coming up after another. And then Julius Servianus, who was presiding over the meeting in the absence of the Pontifex Maximus, launched on a rather rambling disquisition into the subject of Celtic goddesses...

‘Are we done yet?’

Cornelius Palma, who obviously did not appreciate the fine details of Gallic and British cults, voiced the question as soon as one of the minor pontiffs registered the pontifical approval for two sets of ashes to be moved from a Via Salaria columbarium to a Via Appia mausoleum. Livianus, a fellow military man who had commanded a legion against the Dacians, looked at the conqueror of Arabia with gratitude. Julius Servianus pursed his lips.

‘Just one more thing, dear Palma,’ the old courtier intoned with hint of mild disapproval. ‘There’s a most delicate matter concerning a Celtic virgin–’

‘A what virgin?’ Palma blinked.

‘Vestal! A Vestal virgin!’

A little later, Palma was guffawing openly as the rest of Pontiffs struggled to conceal their smiles.

‘So who’s doing the honours, Servianus?’ the general asked.

‘As a matter of tradition this duty falls upon the most recent entrant to the College. You’ll have to tarry a while, Livianus,’ Servianus said evenly.

Livianus swallowed as the laughing Palma slapped him on the shoulder.

‘Patron?’ Livianus’ pontifical assistant, Epaphroditus the kalator, stood behind him holding a bunch of long elm-rods.

‘Always ready, Epaphroditus, aren’t you?’ Livianus got up and accepted the proffered virgae. ‘Well, let’s go.’

⁄⁄⁄

Ave, Livianus! Do shut the door, I don’t need a stray gust of wind blowing in!’ Tadia called out from her chair, her clear voice reverberating from the walls of the Temple of Vesta.

Livianus greeted the Vestal virgin on duty and slammed the temple door shut, then approached the keeper of sacred hearth-fire.

‘By Castor, Vicellia is in trouble!’ Tadia glanced at the rods. ‘At the very least her tight little – forgive me, O Vesta! Do sit down, Livianus,’ she pointed at the now vacant chair next to hers. The Vestal was his wife’s aunt and spoke to him rather freely.

‘Er, could you tell me what’s happened?’ Livianus took the seat usually occupied by the second Vestal.

‘Certainly, Livianus,’ Tadia leant to pick several broken oak branches out of an ornately decorated box, then threw them into the sacred fire. ‘It’s all Pliny’s fault.’

‘How is that Pliny’s fault?’

‘So yesterday Pliny was having a feast for us Vestals. He’s going to depart to govern Pontus soon, and he’s so ridiculously sentimental about that. Well, he was going on and on about auguries and Asia and I don’t know what else, then the Virgo Maxima got Cornelius Tacitus started on the days of Agricola and the necessity to conquer the rest of Britain. I look at Vicellia, and I could see she’s bored out of her skull, so she’s swilling Pliny’s wines – Chian, Lesbian, Clazomenian, you name it – unmixed, as if she’s Ethiopian!’

‘You should’ve stopped her, Tadia,’ Livianus reproved the Vestal.

‘And then have her here, sulking all day long? Look, I didn’t know the girl couldn’t hold her drink. I’m punished enough as I am, sitting here all alone,’ Tadia sighed. ‘Well, Praetextata is supposed to drop by soon.’

‘What happened then?’

‘Ah, Vicellia didn’t really want to leave so her slave-girls walked her to her litter after the feast. She should’ve asked the Virgo Maxima to remove her from temple duty for today...’

‘But she didn’t.’

‘No, she didn’t. In the morning she’s here at the temple, stumbling around and looking like a shade. I have her sitting in the chair while I go about my duties. Then I come back to sit next to her and she sort of appears better-looking to me. I try to make small talk, and her eyes look totally sober. But then she sort of sways to and fro and leans to the side and then...’

‘And then she throws up all over the temple floor,’ Livianus finished for Tadia.

‘She does. I tell her – forgive your servant, O Vesta, for what I tell her! – and call for a slave-girl to fetch the Virgo Maxima while she keeps gasping and heaving. Then the Virgo Maxima comes and her eyes grow round at the sight. She grasps Vicellia by the ear and drags her away, leaving me here alone to mop her vomit up! I’m so tired now,’ Tadia slumped in the chair.

‘I see. By the way, you missed a spot here,’ Livianus pointed at the floor.

‘Thank you very much,’ Tadia’s voice dripped acid.

(TBC)

Hmm, i understand to little the dialogues. :(
I will see te next chapter. A "Celtic Virgin" make me curious and exited.
Madiosi
Hey, I'm an ESL person, I might well be less than clear, but I tried to keep things simple and rather colloquial.

'Celtic virgin' is just an 'in-thing' here; in the story, the old senator had been talking about Celtic goddesses and misspoke when coming to the subject of a Vestal virgin. Unfortunately I've interacted with Tash too little to even attempt creating a fully developed character based on her.

Hey, I'm an ESL person, I might well be less than clear, but I tried to keep things simple and rather colloquial.

'Celtic virgin' is just an 'in-thing' here; in the story, the old senator had been talking about Celtic goddesses and misspoke when coming to the subject of a Vestal virgin. Unfortunately I've interacted with Tash too little to even attempt creating a fully developed character based on her.
It is not how you write, it is my deficient knowing. Don't worry and go ahead.
CV, a keyword for me. Fact.

A name drop is a name drop. English as a second language or not, that was a skilful deployment of an in joke and touching gesture. It made me laugh and we have need of those :)

‘I pamper them too much, let them do whatever they please, and this is how they show their gratitude! I wish I could wield the rods myself today!’ the Virgo Maxima punctuated each word in the last sentence with a click of her sandal against the hard marble of the floor.

Livianus fingered the virgae and eyed first the black curtain dividing the room in the House of the Vestals where the punishment of the errant Vestal was to take place, then the Virgo Maxima herself. The formidable lady, who must have been indulging herself in food instead of wine, ran to fat.

‘Virgo Maxima, when the Vestal is condemned to death… Are we supposed to beat her with the curtain between us, too?’

‘As long as I am Virgo Maxima, you’ll never know!’ the lady drew herself up, glaring at Livianus.

The arrival of Vicellia interrupted that awkward moment. The Vestal, a tall girl of nineteen swathed in a long tunic, her head covered, shyly entered the room, accompanied by a slave-girl, and stopped before them, her head bowed.

‘You must be punished, Vicellia,’ boomed the Virgo Maxima. ‘Pontiff?’

‘Er, so, sacred virgin of Vesta, thou shalt be chastised with rods!’

‘Just kill me now!’ Vicellia sniffed loudly and looked at the Pontiff. The pale skin of her sweaty face was tinged with sickly yellow. The girl was shivering slightly. ‘Gods hate me, and I must be dying anyway!’

‘Shame on you, you’re hung over like a wanton bacchante!’ the Virgo Maxima stomped her foot.

Something in the cornflower-blue eyes of the girl told Livianus that the Vestal would not mind too much trading places with a bacchante freedwoman, at least for a day… or a night. The Pontiff sighed.

‘Tomorrow at dawn thou shalt offer two piglets as an expiatory sacrifice to Mother Vesta alongside the Pontiff Aulus Cornelius.’ The general had offered his services, obviously wanting to get a better look at the vomiting Vestal. ‘At thine expense,’ Livianus added.

‘Just crucify me and be done with all this!’ Vicellia moaned, her eyes glistening with tears. Livianus had enough. He turned away from the women and slid through the curtain. On the other side, Epaphroditus was holding an oil-lamp, the only source of light, high.

‘Patron, I’m leaving once the girl is, er, ready,’ the kalator whispered.

‘I know, I must chastise her in the dark,’ Livianus said quietly.

‘Help her undress, you silly ewe!’ On the other side of the curtain, the Virgo Maxima roared at the slave-girl.

‘Disrobe thyself of thy raiment, O Vestal!’ Livianus announced loudly and heard another sniff. There was much shuffling around behind the curtain. The senator could not help but wonder what Vicellia’s young body was like under that raiment. No man, not even her chastiser, was supposed to see her nude, or even semi-nude.

However, the hangover and the marble floor must have conspired to prove at least the latter part wrong. There was a yelp followed by a thud, and a heartbeat later Vicellia was lying on the floor, her upper body ending up on Livianus’ side of the veil.

‘By Hercules!’ His eyes bulging, Epaphroditus quickly turned away while Livianus stared at the slender torso of the Vestal, covered by her breastband only. Nonetheless it was apparent that the breastband was compressing a fine pair of...

Livianus shook his head. Vicellia looked at him and giggled while the Virgo Maxima was screaming at the other side of the curtain.

‘Get up, Vicellia! Right now!’

‘Er, I can’t, Virgo Maxima. The pontiff is going to see my bare behind,’ the girl giggled again, her chest rising and falling. ‘I’m sooo sweaty,’ the Vestal added unnecessarily, gazing at Livianus, whose discomfort was visible.

Livianus hoped that his erection was not.

Promising to look away was silly and schoolboyish, whereas advising the Vestal to slither snake-like to the other side of the veil was most likely impious (where was Servianus when one needed him?) and might have required the sacrifice of yet another piglet. Livianus clutched the rods harder.

‘You!’ the Virgo Maxima shouted at the slave-girl. ‘Wrap that cloth round her hips, tight! Vicellia, raise your pelvis!’

Vicellia moaned and arched her back. The pontiff knew that beyond the veil her bare, virgin loins were thrust upwards for her ancilla to cover . . . He wanted to be in Dacia. Or in coitus.

‘Quick, you silly cow!’ Vicellia snarled at the unseen slave-girl.

‘Done, domina,’ the ancilla said in a quiet, miserable voice.

Vicellia sighed and accepted Livianus’ proffered hand to raise herself off the floor. With enough white linen to wrap an Egyptian mummy now encircling her waist, her modesty seemed safe.

‘Be gentle with me,’ she breathed and turned away, to pass beyond the veil. Her sandals slapped on the marble.

And then the wrapping fell off the Vestal's hips.

Livianus froze, his jaw dropping, his hearing assaulted by the ear-piercing shriek as Vicellia dashed through the veil and disappeared. Epaphroditus stumbled and almost dropped the oil-lamp. The silence was broken by the sounds of hard slaps followed by the bawling of the slave-girl.

‘Well I never . . .’ the Virgo Maxima started.

The pontiff took a deep breath, willing the vision of Vicellia’s shapely arse to disappear. What was that old Frontinus liked to say? ‘If an augur doesn’t hear Jove’s thunder, then there was none’?

‘There’s no impiety, Virgo Maxima! The pontiff avers that he has not seen anything untoward. Likewise his kalator. Right, Epaphroditus?’

‘It is so, O Pontiff!’ Epaphroditus affirmed, the lamp trembling in his hand.

‘Very well,’ the Virgo Maxima somehow did not sound convinced.

The slaps and yelps beyond the curtain continued as Vicellia was delivering the corporal punishment of her own.

Back
Top Bottom