A belated realisation

Go to CruxDreams.com
I believe that flagellation was a form of "accessory torture" that humiliated the condemned man or woman even more. Like the flagellation of the Via Crucis. There is an atrocious public ritual in this torture which is terrible and fascinating. However, the whippings on the back, shoulders and buttocks will certainly have aggravated the pain caused by rubbing on the wood of the cross... assuming that the crucifixion was frontal and not with the back facing the public. In any case, everything must have been very well studied, and from what I have read the Romans were very prepared and cruel in capital punishment. Much of their power was certainly based on military strength but also on the punishments they knew how to inflict without mercy on those who rebelled against their superiority, and the Cross was certainly the most terrible torture.

It also had the effect of weakening the condemned. While that might shorten their survival time on the cross, it also made them less able to put up resistance while being nailed and hoisted making the executioner's job easier.

I think the reason they whipped the victim first, male or female, is because to crucify someone without any whip marks, even if completely naked, exhausted, in visible agony, even unconscious on the cross, and despite the clearly visible nails, it looks as if they have been spared of something. Whereas a body covered in whip marks looks more as if they have been punished or tortured, then their poor, naked or nearly naked, male or female whip-marked body has been crucified with nails.

Last edited:
I think the reason they whipped the victim first, male or female, is because to crucify someone without any whip marks, even if completely naked, exhausted, in visible agony, even unconscious on the cross, and despite the clearly visible nails, it looks as if they have been spared of something. Whereas a body covered in whip marks looks more as if they have been punished or tortured, then their poor, naked or nearly naked, male or female whip-marked body has been crucified with nails.
In my opinion, the whipping is counter-productive. The cross is torture enough. I'd rather be taken to the cross, unwhipped and nailed. I'd likely suffer longer anyways.

The flogging was part of the torture before being put onvthe cross
When I was crucified with rope I was flogged and tortured first

Back
Top Bottom