Ramon's "Roman movie" analysis: A frustrating masterpiece

Go to CruxDreams.com
Ah well are there good photoshop ones? Also if you decide to do more of these I hope you do a vintage passion but you know it’s ur choice obviously.

While discussing with fellow poag fan @Boyo boy, he noticed that Roman Movie was re-released on HD (1080p), yet other older films had a UHD (4K) release, like passion of the christa. AI or upscaling must have been the way, altho I cant help but wonder how christa looks pretty good even with the 4k upscaling, yet roman movie, a later film, only got to 1080p.

But thats just me geeking over a technical mystery.

A day like today, 16 years ago, the earliest trace of this film on the internet was released, a youtube video featuring the first part of this diamond in the rough.

We celebrate the anniversary of one of, if not, the first outdoors female christ themed films!

16anniversary.jpg

It may not have been perfect, but the efforts and achievements are not to be overlooked.
Ramon took a gamble on going with an outdoors film,
a team of people worked hard on cameras and lights
and Rosa pulled out her best, even with the risks it brought.

A frustrating masterpiece
Part V: Final thoughts

After this trip, I wonder if I was too harsh on Roman movie? Yes and no.
The final cut of Roman movie is still disappointing, with really high highs, and really low lows. But I have to admit that it has grown on me, as it still has a lot of merit, for trying new things and taking risks. Ramon could have just done another indoors shooting, yet he went for an outdoors via crucis film.

I don't mean to be too harsh on Ramon's current productions, you know I like to find a middle point between two sides of an argument, Ramon's new videos are not terrible, they still do a decent job at showcasing newer models, but calling them experimental while Roman movie is still out there makes me feel confused. Roman movie was, if not, is perhaps Ramon's most experimental work to date. You could make a case for the 360° videos, I can give you that, but Roman movie will still be the one that took the most risks in my humble opinion.

This film has three roman soldiers, a "female Judas", a "female Pilate", at the very least two cameramen, a lightning person or two, costume design, props like the cross and the crown of thorns and what seems to be, not a model, but a professional actress; It took a really high risk, and the payoff was mixed, but you can't win them all.

Note on the lightning: I can say by experience, good lightning outdoors is NOT easy at all, they did some great outdoors lightning on this film that I noticed in little details that they could only achieve with light reflectors and or diffusers.
Here is a sample on what one needs to make an outdoors footage look good:
main_22-1.jpg

(Image hosted on: https://www.videomaker.com/article/14580-video-and-photography-light-reflectors/)

Okay, last praise about Rosa, we could make a case for her really hanging on a cross, since she didn't have the hooks on the cross or a comfortable footrest. Add to that that she couldn't get up or down easily, since her hands were tied to the cross. And the weather, the sun on her bare skin on the moments it wasn't cloudy and the wind. Yeah, on the wind topic, Gran Canaria doesn't exactly have a cold weather, quite the contrary, but hanging half naked up there near the coast, I wonder if she would have felt cold at some point.

After watching the behind the scenes, I knew this was a diamond in the rough, the stuff is there. While there are things like Rosa being helped by two guards to carry the cross, or the personal nitpicks of how the scourging was handled or the feet nailing position, I began to appreciate this film more and more, watching all the efforts done by this crew, I can say that while I don't feel I was too tough on the final cut of Roman movie, I was indeed, way too tough on everything else about this film.

Sometimes I think about editing the behind the scenes and remake Roman movie. While it would be a interesting exercise to see what the outcome is, I'm not sure if there would be too much of a point in doing it, since, well, it's paid content, I could not share this cut, even if I did what other fan cuts of films have done: "Only download this if you have bought the original", after all, the last thing I want to do is kill what could be the lifeline of income that keeps people like Ramon making these works.

I will stand by what I said tho, I'm not saying that editing will make it perfect, especially when everyone has it's own tastes and/or personal nitpicks, but editing could improve it a lot.

A final fun fact to wrap this up, it's kind of funny how common of a problem it seems for the crown to fall of an actress' head. While laying on the cross, Bruna's crow had to be adjusted twice, and even got knocked off by one of the sword props a soldier actor carried. Here, same story, Rosa's crown fell in every shot she was stripped and laid on the cross. Guess I will remain confused with how do those crowns of thorns props work.
View attachment 1430770View attachment 1430769View attachment 1430768

I enjoyed having one more of these trips, hopefully something special can be made for this February 23rd day, which I will call the unofficial Roman movie anniversary, which this year becomes 16 years old. Surprises me how Ramon's older films like Christa, made 19 years ago or Roman movie, 16 years ago, still have things that can be discussed, even if they are few.
I'm glad I made this thread, it really did make Roman movie grow on me, making me change my tier list, and put Roman movie just behind The passion of the christa in my favorites, heck, I could put them even if it wasn't for the personal opinions and nitpicks.

Hopefully you also enjoyed this thread, I'll meet you on the next one, hopefully I make can a special post for the 16th anniversary of the film, an image or who knows, maybe a short test video like I did with the manip series I did (The last days of a roman woman). Let's see what happens.

With all of that said, this is why I say Roman movie is a frustrating masterpiece.

Thanks for reading!
In several scenes her panties were very visible.
and after not being white but beige
it was very noticeable
since it contrasts with the white loincloth

This is only not noticeable in the final version with yellow filter
which helped her panty go unnoticed, mixing with the loincloth.

Back
Top Bottom