Some puzzling problems of old-timey justice.

Go to CruxDreams.com
Imagine a sort of post-medieval civilisation. In the towns and cities, there are constables charged with keeping the peace and arresting criminals... yet, how can they balance these duties? If every time they take someone into custody they have to trek to the town gaol and back, criminals would be sure to take advantage of their absence. Yet building up a train of captives could see them outnumbered and with too much on their plates. It's especially an issue in larger towns where the gaol might be a fair walk away. So, any suggestions?

And secondarily - how would cases be "processed"? Making sure it's remembered which prisoner is which and that the suspect, witnesses, evidence and so on actually came together in a courtroom sooner or later?

1. Establish a list of crimes.
2. Each crime will have a specific punishment.
3. Arrest means automatic guilt.
4. Apply the specified punishment immediately after arrest.
5. Send criminal home, or to the cemetery, upon completion of sentence.
6. This system requires no incarceration, jailers, or courts.

Who needs a trial in a post-modern civilisation? As long as order is maintained, people are more or less happy.
The right to a trial has been part of the common law for a long time (even if there were sometimes exceptions). Even juries of one's peers go back a long way.

1. Establish a list of crimes.
2. Each crime will have a specific punishment.
3. Arrest means automatic guilt.
4. Apply the specified punishment immediately after arrest.
5. Send criminal home, or to the cemetery, upon completion of sentence.
6. This system requires no incarceration, jailers, or courts.
Thanks, but I'm looking for ways to make the system work, not cut out half the fun parts.

The right to a trial has been part of the common law for a long time (even if there were sometimes exceptions). Even juries of one's peers go back a long way.

Thanks, but I'm looking for ways to make the system work, not cut out half the fun parts.
My reply was tongue in cheek. Sorry, didn't realize you were serious.

Back
Top Bottom