The Fifth Wound

Go to CruxDreams.com

Fox-on-Cross

Great-Cruxinquisitor
Firstly the sensation begins that the crucifiers strongly push the standing naked victim with his shoulders on the wood. The beginning of the wound.

Secondly when hanging the spine and a part of the shoulders stay automatically fixed on the rough brown crosswood and make during the crucifixion the little wound greater and greater due to the dancing (<Josephus) movements.

I call this the fifth wound.

So as I earlier wrote, the spine and shoulders stay scouring on the wood, it is not possible to hang for long time with the breast forwards. All drawings are a phantasy in phantasy. A moment the victim can stretch his legs and push his belly more forwards, the breast goes with for some centimeters but he falls back to the normal hanging and that is shoulder on the wood and belly somewhat curved. Also the lower spine is loss from the stipes as result from the "breathly" dancing. Why should he do this, to aggravate his pain?

Never I saw a photo or drawing with a bloody spine and shoulder.

Attachments

• Jezus with Shoulders.jpg
    Jezus with Shoulders.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 238
Firstly the sensation begins that the crucifiers strongly push the standing naked victim with his shoulders on the wood. The beginning of the wound.

Secondly when hanging the spine and a part of the shoulders stay automatically fixed on the rough brown crosswood and make during the crucifixion the little wound greater and greater due to the dancing (<Josephus) movements.

I call this the fifth wound.

So as I earlier wrote, the spine and shoulders stay scouring on the wood, it is not possible to hang for long time with the breast forwards. All drawings are a phantasy in phantasy. A moment the victim can stretch his legs and push his belly more forwards, the breast goes with for some centimeters but he falls back to the normal hanging and that is shoulder on the wood and belly somewhat curved. Also the lower spine is loss from the stipes as result from the "breathly" dancing. Why should he do this, to aggravate his pain?

Never I saw a photo or drawing with a bloody spine and shoulder.
Any dancing must equate to considerable abrasion of the back and the timber would only ever have been rough hewn with an axe or adze.

I call this the fifth wound

Any dancing must equate to considerable abrasion

The discussion continues with flogging, a part of a regular crucifixion (modus vulgaris).
First, the victims were flogged with lashes (flagella) or rods (virgae) to make their sufferings worse.
Second, they were led to a place of execution, dragging or carrying the crossbeam on their shoulders.

whipped - (38).jpg

If this is finished and the victim gets nailed to the rough hewn wood there will be more than 5 wounds, however, you are quite correct with your statement that there will be more wounds ...
I never have seen any artwork displaying the victim’s wounded spine ... and if the victim is shown backwards - spine (and shoulder) were covered by the pole ...

First, it depends a great deal how the subject is fixed to their cross, particularly the position of the feet. In many configurations it is quite natural for the body to hang forward enough that the back and shoulders would not have much contact with the wood.

It is possible to breath in a hanging position on the cross (depending again on the position of arms etc). There is restriction on the chest, and it is relieved by raising the body and putting weight on the legs or flexed arms, but it is possible. It is part of the experience.

Now, Fox, the "5th wound". Many would tell you that the hands (2), feet (1) and side (1) total 4 wounds or piercings in the classic biblical crucifixion. The fabled fifth wound is often said to be the cornu, the penetration behind. I'm not convinced, personally, but there you have it. Your own 5th wound is certainly part of the experience of a true ancient crucifixion, along with many other abrasions and injuries. It would not have been pretty, or comfortable!

My art-history teacher spoke about the fifth' end of the cross, a piece of wood what we also call sedile for the ass. "Cornu" is an invention from and for mads.
The 4th wound should be the side of the breast (right or left?) but then the victim is already dead. The enormous, I called the 5th, wound between the shoulders is an unknown territory and exists more study.

Pity that crosses for film and photo are so well made, polished and painted.
A row cross is real nature, the nature!

Thanks all for your attention!

Yes that wound caused by moving up & down the cross with an already flayed back would happen between the shoulders, but I think it would be more pronounced on the buttocks. So the preliminary beating or maybe scourging would have concentrated on those two areas. So of course as we all know (but most film makers don't!) the victim would have to have bare buttocks, i.e. completely naked.

In my view, If the feet are securely fastened to the tree it is difficult to keep your back against the wood.
The natural tendency is to go ahead and separate the back from the tree.

The way this prisoner is by the time he's on the cross his back will be further injured by going up and down the cross

After several hours on tbe cross the back already torn to sheds after the flogging would be ripped to shreds how long did it taje to get that man to get like that
The discussion continues with flogging, a part of a regular crucifixion (modus vulgaris).
First, the victims were flogged with lashes (flagella) or rods (virgae) to make their sufferings worse.
Second, they were led to a place of execution, dragging or carrying the crossbeam on their shoulders.

View attachment 193775

If this is finished and the victim gets nailed to the rough hewn wood there will be more than 5 wounds, however, you are quite correct with your statement that there will be more wounds ...
I never have seen any artwork displaying the victim’s wounded spine ... and if the victim is shown backwards - spine (and shoulder) were covered by the pole ...

It is a forgotten event by artists because the frontside of the victim is most interesting. A chance would have been the two men beside the main character.
And the deposition, we than also see the breast of the dead man but not his back and if so the rudiments of the earlier flogging.

That's very true they must have really hated him so they put their everythibg into flogging him all over then turning hint over then flogging him on his front naked but also leave him the strength to carry the cross

Flog a man all over, & I mean all over, with those tearing-flesh type of scourges & the way a man is designed he would be castrated & most likely have the penis torn off fairly soon. The resulting blood loss if unattended would cause death too early. Of course cauterisation of the wounded area would help, but I think the trauma would be too great. Victims for crucifixion had to be alive when nailed to the cross so I think a savage beating or whipping over the shoulders & buttocks was all that was administered. That would be enough to flay off the skin (no muscle ripping though) & thus cause agony with contact against the rough stipes timber.

We learned an undiscovered fact in crucifixion history.
Me, not an ambition to ravage my shoulders and spine but I do not avoid pain.

The cruxgame has its limits! Whole life too! The world.

Back
Top Bottom