The Religious Right

Go to CruxDreams.com
K

Krunch

Prologue

The movement really started at the beginning of the 21st century when President Bush began funding religious organizations that did charitable work. Not surprisingly, some of the money found its way to other uses, mainly lobbying and advertising. This enabled the religious right to increase their voice in political affairs. At the same time, they took a lesson from the Muslim theocracies and vigilante groups began enforcing their morality on the rest of the citizens. When the Rev. Jonas Baxter was sworn in as President in 2013, he blurred the lines between church and state even more with the creation of the Department of Morality. The Secretary of Morality was given a position in the Cabinet behind only State and Defense. As the religious right's power grew, government turned a blind eye to the religious vigilantism, believing that when it came to people's souls, the end justified the means. By the late 2020's, the vigilante groups had consolidated under the name of the Angels of the Lord, and received funding from the government under the same rules that Bush created to fund charities. This is the story of one of their victims.

An Account Based on Megan's Experiences

Megan rarely went out of the house unaccompanied by her brother or father. A woman alone on the streets was assumed by many to be engaged in some form of illegal activity, usually prostitution or drug running. But her father was out of town on business and her brother was late getting home from basketball practice. Her mother was afraid to go out and someone needed to get groceries for dinner. So Megan donned the ankle length dress that she wore outside and went to the store.

As she was carrying the groceries back to the car, one of the bags broke and fruit began rolling around the parking lot. "Damn it," she cried out without thinking, then quickly looked around to see if anyone heard her. Swearing in public was a minor crime, unless the Angels of the Lord were nearby. Then it was much more serious.

There was one other couple nearby and they were looking at Megan. The man came over and helped her pick up the fruit without saying a word. When everything was put away, Megan got in her car and drove off. She didn't see the man write down her license number.

When Megan arrived at home, there was a car parked out front. She pulled into the driveway and got out of the car. Two men got out of the car in front of the house and came up to her. They were wearing the insignia of the Angels on their shoulders.

"Excuse me, Miss," one of them began, "but might we speak with you a moment?"

Megan was fearful just being this close to two of the Angels. She lowered her eyes to the ground in front of the men and asked how she might help them.

"We have had a report that the person driving this car, and fitting your description, swore in public. Was that you?"

Megan began to stammer, afraid to lie and afraid to tell the truth. "I might have said darn when my grocery bag broke," she finally admitted, thinking to plead to a lesser offense.

"Miss, we have a report that is at odds with that statement. Will you please come with us peacefully?"

"I am sure this is all a misunderstanding. May I take my groceries inside?"

"I am afraid you are right, there has been a misunderstanding." With that, the two men moved to either side of her and grasped her arms tightly. Then they led her to the car parked at the curb.

Megan struggled to escape their grasp, but they were too strong and practiced at this situation. She was quickly put in the car and it sped off.

After about fifteen minutes, the car pulled up to a warehouse. Megan was pulled from the car and taken inside the same way she was taken to the car, held firmly by the two men. Once inside, Megan could not make out anything because of the dim light compared to the bright sunshine she had just left. Once her eyes adjusted, she was able to see that she was being taken to the back where there was a table with three others in hooded robes sitting and waiting for her. On the table was a small tape player.

When they arrived at the table, the two men continued to hold Megan. The man seated in the middle motioned for the two men to release her. "You are not going to try to run away, are you?" he asked Megan.

"No, Sir," she replied.

"Good. Now tell us what happened in the parking lot."

"One of my grocery bags broke, Sir."

"What else happened?"

"A man helped me pick up some fruit."

"Did you say anything when the bag broke?"

"I might have said darn, Sir."

He reached over and pressed the button on the tape machine. It was a recording of a phone call. The woman's voice reported that a young woman used a curse word in public. She described Megan, and described her car, giving the license number.

"Is the statement from the witness true?" the man asked.

"No, Sir. It was accurate except for the fact that I did not swear."

The three people behind the table pulled their chairs together and whispered for several moments then rearranged themselves behind the table.

"What is your name?" the man asked.

"Megan, Sir."

"Megan, you have been found guilty of swearing in public and lying to the tribunal of the Angels of the Lord. Take her upstairs for repentance."

The two men grabbed her as they had before. "Wait," Megan called out. "I didn't do anything. Stop this. Don't."

The man signaled the two men holding Megan to wait. "Megan, you have just compounded your crime by challenging the tribunal. Out work is divinely inspired. By challenging us, you have challenged God. I wanted you to understand that what happens to you now is of your own doing. Take her away."

Megan was too shocked to respond. She had heard stories of what happened to people who challenged the Angels, but she had never known anyone who had done it.

The two men took her to the side of the room where there was an elevator to higher floors. They got in and one of the men pressed the button to go to the top floor.

"Just so you know, we will notify your family that you are in custody until you repent. We don't want them to worry about you." Megan did not respond, afraid to say anything for fear of making what was to come worse.

When the elevator reached the top floor, the men got out. There was hallway with about ten rooms on each side. They took Megan to one of the doors with a green light above the door. Other doors had red lights burning above them.

"Before you enter, you must remove your clothes," one of the men told her. "You must enter in the same manner you entered the world, to remind you of the innocence you were born with."

"I have to do what?" Megan managed to blurt out.

"Miss, I suggest that you do as asked. Every time you challenge us, a mark goes down in your record. Were you simply to accept the righteousness of what we are doing, and comply with our directions, another kind of mark, the good kind, goes in your record. Do I make myself clear?"

Megan stared at him for a moment, too confused to speak or move. For the first time, it occurred to her that she was in real trouble here. The two men stood waiting for her to do something. Megan bent over and took the hem of her long dress in her hands, then slowly stood up, pulling it with her. She got it over her head and, after pulling her arms out, handed it to one of the men. They continued to stare impassively at her, showing neither surprise, nor amusement, that she had put the dress on over other clothes. Megan kicked off her shoes and paused, wondering if, actually hoping that, they would stop her. When they did not, she pulled the cord on her shorts and unbuttoned them, letting them fall to the floor and stepping out of them. Next came her blouse and it joined the pile on the floor.

Now she was standing in just her panties and bra. "Please," she begged, "isn't this enough?"

"Your plea would have carried more weight if it was made before you were already half naked," one of the men said. By waiting until after you removed your outer garments, it rings false to me."

Megan knew there was no truth to what he had said. She was a modest girl, but still, despite the expanse of skin she was showing, still felt clothed. Knowing that there was nothing she could do, she reached behind her and undid the snaps on her bra. With one arm across her chest, she slid the straps down to her elbows. Trying to remain covered as best she could, she slipped the bra off.

Finally, with tears in her eyes, she lowered her arm and used a single hand to push her panties over her hips and bottom, bending to push them down past her knees until they fell to the floor. Again she stepped out of them and stood naked in front of the men, one arm across her breasts and the other covering her pubic mound.

One of the men reached around her and opened the door. There was no light at all in the room. Megan turned and stepped inside, standing in the illumination from the hallway. She saw the light on the floor shrink as the door was closed behind her. As soon as it snapped shut, a spotlight came on, shining down on her from across the room.

A voice from a loudspeaker told her to walk forward and stay in the spotlight. Megan, still covering herself as best as she could, timidly moved forward. The spotlight seemed to move at her pace, not its own, and soon she was standing in front of a small table. The voice told her to stop.

"There is a hood on the table," the voice continued. "Put it on. Hesitation on your part will be punished."

Megan reached down and picked up the black leather hood. It had mouth, ear, and nose holes, but no opening for her eyes. It had a zipper that ran from the neck to the chin and a strap was woven into the leather at the neck that had buckles on both ends. She pulled it over her head and her nose was overwhelmed by the scent of sweat in the leather.

"Very good," said the voice. "Now zip it up and buckle it."

Megan did as she was told, trembling with fear at being nude and denied the use of her sight.

"Your obedience is commendable," the voice announced. Then it said the words that sent a chill to Megan's heart. "Prepare her."

She heard footsteps approach, but she could not tell if they were men or women. She assumed that they were men and felt the humiliation that comes with being naked in the presence of clothed strangers. The men, as she thought of them, quickly locked leather cuffs on her wrists and ankles. Then Megan heard a chain being lowered. When it stopped, one of the men positioned her so the chain was at her back and, one at a time, her wrists were hooked to the chain. Then she heard the chain begin to retract and felt her arms pulled up behind her. Soon she was bent at a right angle, her torso parallel to the floor and her breasts hanging down. But the chain did not stop. It continued pulling her upward until her feet left the floor.

Now she was hanging in an inverted V. Her shoulders began to ache within seconds of taking the strain of her weight, then the ache turned to fire. She cried out in pain, an animal sound, and began panting to try and change her focus to anything but the pain in her shoulders. Her body began to perspire from every pore of her body and in moments she was covered with a sheen of perspiration that sparkled in the spotlight that was still trained on her and of which she was not aware.

"We are going to save your soul today, Megan," a voice whispered in her ear. "But in order to do that, your body will have to feel the pain. Nod if you understand."

Megan didn't understand anything except the excruciating pain in her shoulders. But somehow the directive to nod made it through to her pain-fogged brain and she nodded her head.

"Megan, if you remain in this position too long, your arms will become useless. The nerves controlling them are going to die unless you get some relief. Nod if you understand."

Once again, Megan nodded, this time understanding completely. She used every bit of her concentration to listen to the voice, willing to do anything to relieve the pain in her shoulders.

"Megan, did you sin today?"

Megan nodded vigorously, afraid to trust her voice to get the words out.

"Did you swear in public, corrupting others within the sound of your voice?"

Again Megan nodded.

"And did you lie to cover up your sin?" Another nod followed.

"And did you challenge the authority of the tribunal of the Angels of the Lord?"

Megan could stand no more. "Yes," she cried out. "Please make it stop. Please help me."

"Just a little longer, Megan. And finally, did you murder your brother today?"

"Oh God, yes, I killed him. Please let me down. I did it, I confess. Make the pain stop, please oh God, make the pain stop."

"Megan, we know you did not kill your brother. But now, how can we believe that your confession is a sincere attempt to repent. Clearly, you will say anything to be released. Is that correct?"

"Yes, yes, no," Megan cried out. "I was confused. I didn't kill my brother, but I did all of the other things. I thought I killed him, but I was wrong."

"Do you want to kill him, Megan?"

"No, I love him. He is my brother. I wouldn't hurt him." The words came out slowly; Megan's breathing was labored.

[Krunch - Im pasting Part II of this powerful tale in here - best to keep the whole of a story on the one thread, it's easier for members to find and follow, and makes our home-page menus a bit less crowded ;)]

"Megan, I am not sure what to believe."

"Please let me down. I am telling the truth. Please, I can't stand any more of this."

Megan thought she heard a switch being flicked and a quiet hum. Her nostrils caught a faint whiff of ozone before the electric prod touched her hip.

She screamed long and loudly as the spasms caused her body to twitch uncontrollably, each movement increasing the pain in her arms and shoulders to a new, higher, and unbearable level.

When her body settled down, the voice asked her if she wanted to repent and receive forgiveness. But Megan was beyond responding. So the prod was brought underneath her and touched her nipple. Again Megan's body danced its painful dance but now she could only whimper instead of scream. Again and again the prod reached out, and again and again Megan's body tortured itself with its own movements.

Finally, she was lowered to the floor, coming to rest in a heap in a puddle of her own sweat that had dripped off her body during the ordeal. Her cuffs were removed from the chain and she was ordered to stand. Megan struggled to her feet, her numb and lifeless arms useless in the effort. When she was finally standing, her arms hung limply at her sides.

She was allowed to stand for a few minutes, her body swaying slightly from side to side. Slowly, Megan once again became aware of her nudity as she felt her breasts jiggle slightly with her movement. As she did, she also felt the feeling in her arms begin to return and she made a feeble effort to cover herself, but her arms were not completely under her control yet. She gave up the effort and let them continue to hang down at her sides.

Finally, the voice spoke to her again. "Megan, what sins have you committed today?"

Megan confessed to swearing, and to the other perceived wrongs she had committed.

"And what about other sins, committed on other days, Megan?"

Megan searched her memory and began reciting a list of sins. She had kissed a boy at a party and had unpure thoughts, she had sworn before, she had stolen five dollars from her mother when she was little, on and on it went. After almost thirty minutes, she stopped.

"That is quite a list of sins, Megan. The good news is that I believe it was a sincere confession. The bad news is that in order to be saved again, and brought back into the good graces of the church, your sins must be punished. Surely you can see that confession by itself is not enough. That would make a mockery of Christ's sacrifice for us."

Megan simply nodded, knowing that there was nothing she could do to stop it. She felt her wrists attached to the chain again, this time in front of her body. Then her arms were raised above her head until she was standing on tiptoe, her body stretched out tautly.

Megan heard the whip flying through the air just before it struck her back. She screamed again as it threw her forward and she swayed back upright. The pain was concentrated in the narrow stripe across her back then seemed to radiate outward. Again the whip flew, this time striking her stomach and sending her swinging backwards. She continued to sway when her feet regained the floor. Megan was crying in the hood, her tears soaking into the leather and stinging her eyes, unable to escape completely. After several more strokes, she was unable to scream, and barely able to recover her footing. Her head hung down on her chest and she wondered when in her life she had been pain free as the vicious whip took its toll on her body and her mind. Her thighs, front and back, her bottom, her back, and her breasts all became targets for the whip. She could not see, but could feel, the red welts it was raising as it crisscrossed her body.

Finally, it was over. Megan was lowered to the floor and her wrist freed again. She was ordered to her knees and fought to comply. But her pain racked body responded too slowly. She felt hands grasp her under her arms and pull her up until she was kneeling.

"Now, Megan, we are almost through. Let me ask you a question. Do you believe that I am a righteous man?"

"Yes, Sir," Megan whispered.

"And, being righteous, can I sin?"

"No, Sir."

"Very good, Megan. Are you a sinner?"

"Yes, Sir."

"And do you repent your sins?"

"Yes, Sir."

"And do you accept Jesus as your savior, and agree to live as he taught us?"

"Yes, Sir."

I believe you, Megan. You did not confess to having intercourse, so I assume you are a virgin. Is that correct, Megan?

"Yes, Sir."

"And you did not confess to sexual acts, other than kissing, is that correct?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Megan, open your mouth as wide as you can."

Megan did as she was told. She heard a rustle of robes, then felt his penis touch her lips. "Wider, Megan."

Megan stretched her mouth wide, afraid of what would happen to her if she refused. "Megan, since I am righteous and cannot commit a sin, do you wish to please me?

"Yes, Sir." She knew that if she said no, she would be tortured again.

She shuddered with revulsion as he pushed himself into her mouth. He grasped her head in his hands and began moving it slowly forward and back. Megan gagged as his erect penis slid all the way to the back of her mouth before he pulled her head backward. After several minutes, he moved her head back and forth more quickly. She felt him tremble in her mouth slightly before his semen exploded into her mouth. He held her head tightly, her face buried in his pubic hair until he shrank and she swallowed his ejaculate.

When he released her head and withdrew from her mouth, she turned and threw up on the floor.

"Megan, I am very sorry for you. Once you were accepted back into the fold, you could have refused to commit oral sex and all would have been well. You would have been returned to your family. But now, I am afraid that you have sinned again. And this time it is far more serious than anything else you have done."

Megan cringed at his words, then erupted. "You fucking pervert," she screamed as she launched herself toward where she thought he was standing. She made contact with his chest and her small fists began pounding on his it as she screamed obscenities at him.

She felt two pairs of hands drag her off him and hold her tightly. She fought as the two men pulled her away and pushed her into a small room, throwing her to the floor. The door was slammed shut and she heard a dead bolt thrown, locking her in.

A voice came over a speaker in the room. "Megan, you may remove your hood and cuffs. Push them through the slot at the bottom of the door.

As quickly as she could, Megan undid the hood and removed the cuffs from her wrists and ankles. She shoved them through the slot and then took stock of her body. The red welts received most of her attention until she noticed the bruising at her shoulders from hanging with her arms behind her. After several minutes, she saw the bowls of food and water on the floor in the corner. The food was some kind of brown mash, unappealing visually but still substantial. She crawled over to the bowls and pushed the food into her mouth, barely chewing as she gulped it down. Then she held the bowl of water to her lips and drank it down as fast as she could.

After she had eaten and drunk all of the water, she lay down and tried to sleep. It did not take her long as her exhausted body was drained of energy.

She was awakened by being kicked in the stomach. She rolled over to avoid another blow as a man told her to get on her feet. She stood slowly, every muscle in her body sore and stiff. The man told her to walk out and he followed her as she went through the door. She wondered as she walked what torture she would have to endure today.

The man gave her no further directions so she kept walking. Unlike yesterday, the room where she was abused was well lit. She saw the small table with the hood on it and the door she had come in just a few short hours ago. She crossed the room to the door and stopped in front of it. The man came up beside her and knocked on the door. It opened and Megan walked through it. She was taken back down the hallway to the elevator she had come up the day before. This time it went down with her alone inside it. At the bottom, there were two men waiting for her when the door opened. They took her back out the same way she had come in the day before. When Megan got to the entrance of the warehouse, the door opened and one of the men told her to get in the back of the van that was parked by the door. Megan stepped outside, blushing at the thought of being naked outside. But it was just after dawn and there was no one around to see her except her escorts.

She got in the back of the van and the door was closed and locked from the outside. Then the van pulled away from the warehouse. It moved quickly, but did not break any speed limits as it wound through town toward the interstate. Once on the expressway, it sped up again and Megan saw through the darkened windows that they were heading out into the country.

After half an hour, the van got off the expressway and took a rode further into the country. One more turn onto a dirt road and then the van climbed a steep hill. At the top of the hill was a gathering of about a hundred people. Megan did not know it, but these men and women were regarded as the most pious and righteous church members. They were here to witness a sinner's chance for redemption. Megan was the sinner.

The van stopped and the driver got out and opened the back door. He motioned for Megan to climb out. Tentatively, more conscious of her nudity than ever with the crowd milling around the van, Megan backed out. She blushed all over as she looked at the people looking at her, then lowered her eyes to the ground. The driver took her arm and led her through the crowd to an opening. Many of the people were amazed at Megan's age, since rarely were teenagers brought her. This kind of punishment was usually reserved for very serious offenses and many wondered what she had done to deserve what was about to happen to her.

Lying on the ground in the center of the opening was a large wooden cross, ten feet tall and seven feet wide. Four men approached Megan and two took her arms and led her to the cross. She was forced down on it, on her back and one man took each limb, stretching her out. They held her tightly in place as another man stood at the foot of the cross and looked down at Megan.

"Megan, in order to be saved, you have to learn the meaning of Christ's sacrifice. He suffered so that you and I could learn of salvation and His grace. Now you are going to suffer in exactly the same way He did.

Megan began to struggle but the four men held her tightly. Two more men, one with three iron spikes and one with a large hammer, went to her right hand. The man with the spikes held one of them at her wrist, positioning it so that it would miss the veins and bones in her forearm as it was driven through her flesh. Megan began to scream as she felt the spike touch her skin, then turned away and clinched her jaw as she saw the hammer come down.

She screamed again as the spike pushed through her forearm at the wrist. She did not hear or feel the three other strokes of the hammer that it took to drive the spike firmly into the wood. As the second spike was driven through her wrist, Megan continued screaming but this time watched in horrid fascination, in a detached, this isn't happening to me way, as the iron pierced her. She could not see, but certainly felt, the single spike that was driven through both of her feet, one resting on top of the other.

The men disappeared from her view for a moment, then she saw them on either side of her above her head. They lifted the crosspiece to which her wrists were nailed until it was shoulder high. Then two more men pushed the vertical piece of the cross above their heads and walked forward, supporting it with up stretched arms, until the cross was erect for a brief moment. Megan felt a bone jarring thud and an exploding flash of pain where the spikes were hammered into the wood as the cross slid down into a hole. Megan looked down as the men drove wedges into the hole to keep it supported upright.

Megan was in agony from the first moment the cross was lifted. Once again, her shoulders took up all of her weight. She kept shaking her head, trying to convince herself that this wasn't happening.

The man who had hammered the spikes into her stood next to the cross. His head was just below her waist. Then he took out a scroll and, after unrolling it, read to the crowd Megan's sins. When he came to the end, he announced that Megan would remain on the cross for twenty-four hours, at which time, she would be taken down.

Megan heard the words, but nothing really registered until he announced the time she would remain crucified. It had only been five minutes and the pain was driving her mad. She felt a trickle of blood run down her arm and looked up at it, trying to focus on it, to feel its every movement down her arm, as a way to relieve the pain that consumed her.

After an hour or so, Megan had to pee. She didn't want to relieve her bladder in front of everyone, but she no longer had control over her body. As the urine came out, it splattered on one of the men who stood near the cross. He looked up at her, then shook his head. "Why didn't you warn me?" he asked in quiet, but ominous tone.

Megan was beyond caring what happened to her. Death would be a welcome relief from the agony she felt. She could barely croak out an answer, but she managed. "Fuck you."

The man took a few steps away and bent over a large bag that was on the ground. He rummaged around inside it for a moment, then pulled out a five-foot long birch cane. He ordered the rest of the people away from Megan before taking a position to the side and slightly in front of her.

"I see you still need to learn respect for God's chosen," was all he said looking up at her.

Megan took a moment, looking as if she was trying to say something. But she was trying to generate some saliva. When she finally did, she spit on him.

He lashed out with the cane and opened a cut that ran from her right hip to her left breast. Almost completely immobile on the cross, Megan still managed to writhe a little as she softly cried out. The cane struck again, across her thighs, and again opened a wound. Three more times he struck her, and each time he drew blood from her tortured body.

When he finished, he got a ladder and leaned it against the right cross piece. He put something in his hand and climbed up the ladder. Then he began rubbing salt in her open wounds.

Megan's chin fell to her chest. While she still felt all of the pain from the crucifixion, the cane, and now the salt, she simply accepted it. The pain had become part of her very existence, a permanent part of her being.

For the next two hours, the people milled around the cross. Some reached up and touched her, always in a chaste way, but Megan never felt their touch. As the sun rose in the sky, so did the temperature. Megan had perspired constantly for all of the time on the cross and now she was becoming dehydrated. Her muscles began to cramp, adding a new level of pain to that which she was experiencing. In another two hours, the cramps stopped because they could not draw enough energy from her exhausted body to twitch.

Megan had not moved in several hours. Her respiration and pulse were checked frequently. At one point, she was given a wet sponge to suck on. The little bit of water was welcome, but it did little to restore her.

Through out the day, she looked at the people watching her. They would stand nearby for awhile, then move off to get something to eat or drink. Megan was no longer embarrassed by her nudity. She had been naked for so long now that it almost seemed normal to her, as was the pain. She wanted to ask them why they were doing this to her. She wanted to understand how they could tolerate the suffering of another human being.

Around dusk, Megan's breathing became very labored. Her lungs were struggling to suck in the air they needed. Her brain had shut out the pain finally. Pain was the body's way of giving a warning, but when the body knew that there was not going to be any relief, it stopped sending the signals to the brain.

With the end of the pain, Megan was able to drift in and out of consciousness. The semi-sleep she experienced allowed her body to rest some, but there was no more energy left to replenish it. She was checked more often now, but barely noticed when someone climbed up the ladder to her.

As dawn broke, Megan realized that her ordeal was almost over and she drew some strength from that knowledge. About an hour after dawn, the cross was lowered to the ground. The ends of the spikes sticking through her body were sawed off and her arms and feet were pulled off the spikes. She was lifted up and set on a blanket on the ground where all of her wounds were treated and her wrists and feet were bound with gauze. Then the blanket was carried back to the van, she was put in, and driven to her home.

Epilogue

It was weeks later before Megan could tell her story to her family. They called an ambulance and she was taken to a hospital for treatment and to recover. Now, years later, Megan still lives with her parents, but never goes outside. She responds when spoken to, but never initiates conversation. With an effort, she is able to lift her hands above her waist, but no higher.

After Megan's father heard her story, he asked her to repeat it into a recorder. She did, but it took a long time for all of it to come out. She never shows emotion about what happened to her, but recites the events in a monotone.

Her father took all of the recordings and wrote her story down. The manuscript is being circulated among some of the underground groups that are resisting the imposition of the state religion in their lives. "Remember Megan" has become a rallying cry, like "Remember the Maine" or "Remember the Alamo." Someday, the resistance will overcome and a rebirth of religious freedom and tolerance will cleanse America. And Megan will be partly responsible.

[Krunch - Im pasting Part II of this powerful tale in here - best to keep the whole of a story on the one thread, it's easier for members to find and follow, and makes our home-page menus a bit less crowded ;)]

"Megan, I am not sure what to believe."

"Please let me down. I am telling the truth. Please, I can't stand any more of this."

Megan thought she heard a switch being flicked and a quiet hum. Her nostrils caught a faint whiff of ozone before the electric prod touched her hip.

She screamed long and loudly as the spasms caused her body to twitch uncontrollably, each movement increasing the pain in her arms and shoulders to a new, higher, and unbearable level.

When her body settled down, the voice asked her if she wanted to repent and receive forgiveness. But Megan was beyond responding. So the prod was brought underneath her and touched her nipple. Again Megan's body danced its painful dance but now she could only whimper instead of scream. Again and again the prod reached out, and again and again Megan's body tortured itself with its own movements.

Finally, she was lowered to the floor, coming to rest in a heap in a puddle of her own sweat that had dripped off her body during the ordeal. Her cuffs were removed from the chain and she was ordered to stand. Megan struggled to her feet, her numb and lifeless arms useless in the effort. When she was finally standing, her arms hung limply at her sides.

She was allowed to stand for a few minutes, her body swaying slightly from side to side. Slowly, Megan once again became aware of her nudity as she felt her breasts jiggle slightly with her movement. As she did, she also felt the feeling in her arms begin to return and she made a feeble effort to cover herself, but her arms were not completely under her control yet. She gave up the effort and let them continue to hang down at her sides.

Finally, the voice spoke to her again. "Megan, what sins have you committed today?"

Megan confessed to swearing, and to the other perceived wrongs she had committed.

"And what about other sins, committed on other days, Megan?"

Megan searched her memory and began reciting a list of sins. She had kissed a boy at a party and had unpure thoughts, she had sworn before, she had stolen five dollars from her mother when she was little, on and on it went. After almost thirty minutes, she stopped.

"That is quite a list of sins, Megan. The good news is that I believe it was a sincere confession. The bad news is that in order to be saved again, and brought back into the good graces of the church, your sins must be punished. Surely you can see that confession by itself is not enough. That would make a mockery of Christ's sacrifice for us."

Megan simply nodded, knowing that there was nothing she could do to stop it. She felt her wrists attached to the chain again, this time in front of her body. Then her arms were raised above her head until she was standing on tiptoe, her body stretched out tautly.

Megan heard the whip flying through the air just before it struck her back. She screamed again as it threw her forward and she swayed back upright. The pain was concentrated in the narrow stripe across her back then seemed to radiate outward. Again the whip flew, this time striking her stomach and sending her swinging backwards. She continued to sway when her feet regained the floor. Megan was crying in the hood, her tears soaking into the leather and stinging her eyes, unable to escape completely. After several more strokes, she was unable to scream, and barely able to recover her footing. Her head hung down on her chest and she wondered when in her life she had been pain free as the vicious whip took its toll on her body and her mind. Her thighs, front and back, her bottom, her back, and her breasts all became targets for the whip. She could not see, but could feel, the red welts it was raising as it crisscrossed her body.

Finally, it was over. Megan was lowered to the floor and her wrist freed again. She was ordered to her knees and fought to comply. But her pain racked body responded too slowly. She felt hands grasp her under her arms and pull her up until she was kneeling.

"Now, Megan, we are almost through. Let me ask you a question. Do you believe that I am a righteous man?"

"Yes, Sir," Megan whispered.

"And, being righteous, can I sin?"

"No, Sir."

"Very good, Megan. Are you a sinner?"

"Yes, Sir."

"And do you repent your sins?"

"Yes, Sir."

"And do you accept Jesus as your savior, and agree to live as he taught us?"

"Yes, Sir."

I believe you, Megan. You did not confess to having intercourse, so I assume you are a virgin. Is that correct, Megan?

"Yes, Sir."

"And you did not confess to sexual acts, other than kissing, is that correct?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Megan, open your mouth as wide as you can."

Megan did as she was told. She heard a rustle of robes, then felt his penis touch her lips. "Wider, Megan."

Megan stretched her mouth wide, afraid of what would happen to her if she refused. "Megan, since I am righteous and cannot commit a sin, do you wish to please me?

"Yes, Sir." She knew that if she said no, she would be tortured again.

She shuddered with revulsion as he pushed himself into her mouth. He grasped her head in his hands and began moving it slowly forward and back. Megan gagged as his erect penis slid all the way to the back of her mouth before he pulled her head backward. After several minutes, he moved her head back and forth more quickly. She felt him tremble in her mouth slightly before his semen exploded into her mouth. He held her head tightly, her face buried in his pubic hair until he shrank and she swallowed his ejaculate.

When he released her head and withdrew from her mouth, she turned and threw up on the floor.

"Megan, I am very sorry for you. Once you were accepted back into the fold, you could have refused to commit oral sex and all would have been well. You would have been returned to your family. But now, I am afraid that you have sinned again. And this time it is far more serious than anything else you have done."

Megan cringed at his words, then erupted. "You fucking pervert," she screamed as she launched herself toward where she thought he was standing. She made contact with his chest and her small fists began pounding on his it as she screamed obscenities at him.

She felt two pairs of hands drag her off him and hold her tightly. She fought as the two men pulled her away and pushed her into a small room, throwing her to the floor. The door was slammed shut and she heard a dead bolt thrown, locking her in.

A voice came over a speaker in the room. "Megan, you may remove your hood and cuffs. Push them through the slot at the bottom of the door.

As quickly as she could, Megan undid the hood and removed the cuffs from her wrists and ankles. She shoved them through the slot and then took stock of her body. The red welts received most of her attention until she noticed the bruising at her shoulders from hanging with her arms behind her. After several minutes, she saw the bowls of food and water on the floor in the corner. The food was some kind of brown mash, unappealing visually but still substantial. She crawled over to the bowls and pushed the food into her mouth, barely chewing as she gulped it down. Then she held the bowl of water to her lips and drank it down as fast as she could.

After she had eaten and drunk all of the water, she lay down and tried to sleep. It did not take her long as her exhausted body was drained of energy.

She was awakened by being kicked in the stomach. She rolled over to avoid another blow as a man told her to get on her feet. She stood slowly, every muscle in her body sore and stiff. The man told her to walk out and he followed her as she went through the door. She wondered as she walked what torture she would have to endure today.

The man gave her no further directions so she kept walking. Unlike yesterday, the room where she was abused was well lit. She saw the small table with the hood on it and the door she had come in just a few short hours ago. She crossed the room to the door and stopped in front of it. The man came up beside her and knocked on the door. It opened and Megan walked through it. She was taken back down the hallway to the elevator she had come up the day before. This time it went down with her alone inside it. At the bottom, there were two men waiting for her when the door opened. They took her back out the same way she had come in the day before. When Megan got to the entrance of the warehouse, the door opened and one of the men told her to get in the back of the van that was parked by the door. Megan stepped outside, blushing at the thought of being naked outside. But it was just after dawn and there was no one around to see her except her escorts.

She got in the back of the van and the door was closed and locked from the outside. Then the van pulled away from the warehouse. It moved quickly, but did not break any speed limits as it wound through town toward the interstate. Once on the expressway, it sped up again and Megan saw through the darkened windows that they were heading out into the country.

After half an hour, the van got off the expressway and took a rode further into the country. One more turn onto a dirt road and then the van climbed a steep hill. At the top of the hill was a gathering of about a hundred people. Megan did not know it, but these men and women were regarded as the most pious and righteous church members. They were here to witness a sinner's chance for redemption. Megan was the sinner.

The van stopped and the driver got out and opened the back door. He motioned for Megan to climb out. Tentatively, more conscious of her nudity than ever with the crowd milling around the van, Megan backed out. She blushed all over as she looked at the people looking at her, then lowered her eyes to the ground. The driver took her arm and led her through the crowd to an opening. Many of the people were amazed at Megan's age, since rarely were teenagers brought her. This kind of punishment was usually reserved for very serious offenses and many wondered what she had done to deserve what was about to happen to her.

Lying on the ground in the center of the opening was a large wooden cross, ten feet tall and seven feet wide. Four men approached Megan and two took her arms and led her to the cross. She was forced down on it, on her back and one man took each limb, stretching her out. They held her tightly in place as another man stood at the foot of the cross and looked down at Megan.

"Megan, in order to be saved, you have to learn the meaning of Christ's sacrifice. He suffered so that you and I could learn of salvation and His grace. Now you are going to suffer in exactly the same way He did.

Megan began to struggle but the four men held her tightly. Two more men, one with three iron spikes and one with a large hammer, went to her right hand. The man with the spikes held one of them at her wrist, positioning it so that it would miss the veins and bones in her forearm as it was driven through her flesh. Megan began to scream as she felt the spike touch her skin, then turned away and clinched her jaw as she saw the hammer come down.

She screamed again as the spike pushed through her forearm at the wrist. She did not hear or feel the three other strokes of the hammer that it took to drive the spike firmly into the wood. As the second spike was driven through her wrist, Megan continued screaming but this time watched in horrid fascination, in a detached, this isn't happening to me way, as the iron pierced her. She could not see, but certainly felt, the single spike that was driven through both of her feet, one resting on top of the other.

The men disappeared from her view for a moment, then she saw them on either side of her above her head. They lifted the crosspiece to which her wrists were nailed until it was shoulder high. Then two more men pushed the vertical piece of the cross above their heads and walked forward, supporting it with up stretched arms, until the cross was erect for a brief moment. Megan felt a bone jarring thud and an exploding flash of pain where the spikes were hammered into the wood as the cross slid down into a hole. Megan looked down as the men drove wedges into the hole to keep it supported upright.

Megan was in agony from the first moment the cross was lifted. Once again, her shoulders took up all of her weight. She kept shaking her head, trying to convince herself that this wasn't happening.

The man who had hammered the spikes into her stood next to the cross. His head was just below her waist. Then he took out a scroll and, after unrolling it, read to the crowd Megan's sins. When he came to the end, he announced that Megan would remain on the cross for twenty-four hours, at which time, she would be taken down.

Megan heard the words, but nothing really registered until he announced the time she would remain crucified. It had only been five minutes and the pain was driving her mad. She felt a trickle of blood run down her arm and looked up at it, trying to focus on it, to feel its every movement down her arm, as a way to relieve the pain that consumed her.

After an hour or so, Megan had to pee. She didn't want to relieve her bladder in front of everyone, but she no longer had control over her body. As the urine came out, it splattered on one of the men who stood near the cross. He looked up at her, then shook his head. "Why didn't you warn me?" he asked in quiet, but ominous tone.

Megan was beyond caring what happened to her. Death would be a welcome relief from the agony she felt. She could barely croak out an answer, but she managed. "Fuck you."

The man took a few steps away and bent over a large bag that was on the ground. He rummaged around inside it for a moment, then pulled out a five-foot long birch cane. He ordered the rest of the people away from Megan before taking a position to the side and slightly in front of her.

"I see you still need to learn respect for God's chosen," was all he said looking up at her.

Megan took a moment, looking as if she was trying to say something. But she was trying to generate some saliva. When she finally did, she spit on him.

He lashed out with the cane and opened a cut that ran from her right hip to her left breast. Almost completely immobile on the cross, Megan still managed to writhe a little as she softly cried out. The cane struck again, across her thighs, and again opened a wound. Three more times he struck her, and each time he drew blood from her tortured body.

When he finished, he got a ladder and leaned it against the right cross piece. He put something in his hand and climbed up the ladder. Then he began rubbing salt in her open wounds.

Megan's chin fell to her chest. While she still felt all of the pain from the crucifixion, the cane, and now the salt, she simply accepted it. The pain had become part of her very existence, a permanent part of her being.

For the next two hours, the people milled around the cross. Some reached up and touched her, always in a chaste way, but Megan never felt their touch. As the sun rose in the sky, so did the temperature. Megan had perspired constantly for all of the time on the cross and now she was becoming dehydrated. Her muscles began to cramp, adding a new level of pain to that which she was experiencing. In another two hours, the cramps stopped because they could not draw enough energy from her exhausted body to twitch.

Megan had not moved in several hours. Her respiration and pulse were checked frequently. At one point, she was given a wet sponge to suck on. The little bit of water was welcome, but it did little to restore her.

Through out the day, she looked at the people watching her. They would stand nearby for awhile, then move off to get something to eat or drink. Megan was no longer embarrassed by her nudity. She had been naked for so long now that it almost seemed normal to her, as was the pain. She wanted to ask them why they were doing this to her. She wanted to understand how they could tolerate the suffering of another human being.

Around dusk, Megan's breathing became very labored. Her lungs were struggling to suck in the air they needed. Her brain had shut out the pain finally. Pain was the body's way of giving a warning, but when the body knew that there was not going to be any relief, it stopped sending the signals to the brain.

With the end of the pain, Megan was able to drift in and out of consciousness. The semi-sleep she experienced allowed her body to rest some, but there was no more energy left to replenish it. She was checked more often now, but barely noticed when someone climbed up the ladder to her.

As dawn broke, Megan realized that her ordeal was almost over and she drew some strength from that knowledge. About an hour after dawn, the cross was lowered to the ground. The ends of the spikes sticking through her body were sawed off and her arms and feet were pulled off the spikes. She was lifted up and set on a blanket on the ground where all of her wounds were treated and her wrists and feet were bound with gauze. Then the blanket was carried back to the van, she was put in, and driven to her home.

Epilogue

It was weeks later before Megan could tell her story to her family. They called an ambulance and she was taken to a hospital for treatment and to recover. Now, years later, Megan still lives with her parents, but never goes outside. She responds when spoken to, but never initiates conversation. With an effort, she is able to lift her hands above her waist, but no higher.

After Megan's father heard her story, he asked her to repeat it into a recorder. She did, but it took a long time for all of it to come out. She never shows emotion about what happened to her, but recites the events in a monotone.

Her father took all of the recordings and wrote her story down. The manuscript is being circulated among some of the underground groups that are resisting the imposition of the state religion in their lives. "Remember Megan" has become a rallying cry, like "Remember the Maine" or "Remember the Alamo." Someday, the resistance will overcome and a rebirth of religious freedom and tolerance will cleanse America. And Megan will be partly responsible.

Much thanks, still new to the sites functions etc, was allowing for 20,000 Characters max..

Good story but I will take a small exception to the title. I do not care about political discussion. I actually live for it almost. I have a friend that as far to the other side of my political beliefs as I am. We get together once a month to yell at each other and enjoy a great lunch; doing it next week, in fact.

Back to my point... "Religious Zealots" would have been better. Long time members know Tree is not a deeply religious guy. I think the term 'right' to describe conservatives or libertarians sucks. 'Liberals' of all walks want to control all aspects of our lives yet they have no unified idea where to go...

...Krunch, welcome, Sorry to tread on your thread

t

Good story but I will take a small exception to the title. I do not care about political discussion. I actually live for it almost. I have a friend that as far to the other side of my political beliefs as I am. We get together once a month to yell at each other and enjoy a great lunch; doing it next week, in fact.

Back to my point... "Religious Zealots" would have been better. Long time members know Tree is not a deeply religious guy. I think the term 'right' to describe conservatives or libertarians sucks. 'Liberals' of all walks want to control all aspects of our lives yet they have no unified idea where to go...

...Krunch, welcome, Sorry to tread on your thread

t

No harm done I assure,..

Back
Top Bottom