• Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
D

Deleted member 16647

Hello
It would be nice to abandon Flash Player for multiple uploads
Everyone (all browsers) tries to get rid of it
I keep it in a browser (Chrome) only for this use here and for another site

Agreed. Flash is an outdated technology, full of security flaws that are affecting millions of people all over the world, contributing to multiple cases of DDOS attacks and data security being compromised. It's a matter of social responsibility that everybody stops using it as soon aas possible.

I accept the fact that there are still a few niche use-cases where Flash is the only viable optiom, but these are becoming increasingly marginalised all the time.

What is the alternative?
Native tools : HTML5.
Replacing Flash by it needs a little development
Facebook, for example, treats multiple uploads without Flash. Formely they used the Java plugin (Sun-Oracle), which has disappeared

It might be infeasible because of the current structure of XenForo. Maybe we'll have to migrate when support for flash is dropped, but multiple uploads do work on my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1376.JPG
    IMG_1376.JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 38
Flash must die.
Can we get Ming the Merciless to help us?

Anyway there's the plupload HTML5 library for file handling and somebody has been working on that, https://xenforo.com/community/threads/tinhte-html5-uploader.73021/page-10
There's no real technological reason to rely on Flash for this nowadays, in fact it took years for me to find out there even was such a thing as a flash file uploader on this forum because the only way I'd see that is by deliberately enabling flash which otherwise is always off. Everyone who built a web CMS or forum system back in the day used flash uploads and everyone who's kept their code base up to date has exterminated it.

Adding to DP's comment,
It's a matter of social responsibility that everybody stops using it as soon aas possible.
also, Flash uses ridiculous amounts of CPU, meaning it reduces the battery life of your device, runs up your electricity bill, and contributes to dumping excess CO2 into the atmosphere.

But not on my iPhone, there it doesn't....
Sorry to insisting, but how do multiple loads work in this machine ?
In my PC (I don't have smartphone), in all browsers, with Flash desactivated, there is no multiple uploads, only one by one

You input one by one, but can input more than one, which is what is most important to me.
I guess there is a specific mechanism or ergonomy in iPhones and maybe in Android (I don't know them) but it doesn't solve the pb in PC

Flash must die.
also, Flash uses ridiculous amounts of CPU, meaning it reduces the battery life of your device, runs up your electricity bill, and contributes to dumping excess CO2 into the atmosphere.
I discovered this mechanism worked with Flash (here and in another site I use) when it no longer worked when I installed Firefox 64 bits
I accused Firefox 64 bits first, then I realized it came from Flash : for this feature, NPAPI 64 bits Flash doesn't work (all other editions do and especially PPAPI)

Anyway there's the plupload HTML5 library for file handling and somebody has been working on that, https://xenforo.com/community/threads/tinhte-html5-uploader.73021/page-10
There's no real technological reason to rely on Flash for this nowadays, in fact it took years for me to find out there even was such a thing as a flash file uploader on this forum because the only way I'd see that is by deliberately enabling flash which otherwise is always off. Everyone who built a web CMS or forum system back in the day used flash uploads and everyone who's kept their code base up to date has exterminated it.

And sorry, I had not seen everything in your post
It seems very easy to do, isn't it ?

Pretty much everything is now moving over to HTML5 these days. Flash is on borrowed time now.

Yes but if all sites which still use it refuse to change (it seems easy), Flash will still exist for years

Now there's a depressing thought :(

Ultimately what will force the issue is the increasing prevalence of users whose primary computing platform are mobile devices, most of which do not support flash properly (if at all). Also, people with older desktop and laptop hardware are finding that they can no longer use the latest flash updates (especially true if you have a 32-bit system, as most people outside of America and western Europe still do).

Flash is already dead - it just hasn't been buried yet...

Now there's a depressing thought :(

Ultimately what will force the issue is the increasing prevalence of users whose primary computing platform are mobile devices, most of which do not support flash properly (if at all). Also, people with older desktop and laptop hardware are finding that they can no longer use the latest flash updates (especially true if you have a 32-bit system, as most people outside of America and western Europe still do).

Flash is already dead - it just hasn't been buried yet...
Super...
My (modest) problem was replacing Flash by HTML5 for multiple uploads in Crux...
Because currently I must keep a browser with activated Flash for it.
Or no longer upload...

Back
Top Bottom