Bartnel's Inferno

Go to CruxDreams.com
Is it the reason why romans gave the condemned "the cup of mercy" before nailing ?

I always thought that the giving of wine mixed with "gall" or maybe myrrh to the condemned was a Jewish practice rather than Roman, but I don't have any reference for that. Here's a pretty good answer someone wrote:

...we don't know who offered the bile-mingled wine to Jesus in the first place, since Matthew and Mark only mention an unspecified "they." Some folks are of the opinion that Jesus was offered the drink by a group of concerned women, citing a tradition recorded in the Babylonian Talmud (Sanhedrin 43a):

R. Huna said, "It is obvious to me that the stone with which one is stoned, the gallows on which one is hanged, the sword with which one is decapitated, and the cloth with which one is strangled, are all provided by the Community. And why so? Because we could not tell a man to go and fetch his own property to kill himself."

"But," asked R. Huna, "who provides the flag for signalling and the horse on which one rides to stop them? (footnote: from carrying out the sentence, in case one of the judges raises a new point for the defence) Seeing that they are for his protection, must they be provided by him, or rather, since the court is bound to endeavour to save him, by them? Again, what of R. Hiyya b. Ashi's dictum in R. Hisda's name: *'When one is led out to execution, he is given a goblet of wine containing a grain of frankincense, in order to benumb his senses, for it is written, "Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto the bitter in soul."*'" (Proverbs 31:6)

"**And it has also been taught: 'The noble women in Jerusalem used to donate and bring it.'* If these did not donate it, who provided it? As for that, it is certainly logical that it should be provided out of the public [funds]: Since it is written. 'Give', [the implication is] of what is theirs.*"

There are those who counter that is not a true parallel, since the Talmud notes that it was wine with frankincense, while the Gospels note that it was wine with myrrh/bile (traditionally 'gall'), and because the following verses are concerned with the soldiers, not with women: in which case the offer has a tinge of mockery in it. Besides, the Talmud was only written a few centuries after the time of Jesus, and thus, whether it reflects a 1st century situation is ambiguous at best. Counter-arguments say that if it was an act of charity, it would have been not in keeping with the character of the soldiers (the only possibility left is that it was a routine practice, but we have no evidence for such), and in any case, the wording leaves it unclear as to exactly who offered Jesus the drink.
I think the Jewish women did it as an act of charity, and apparently it was a small concession that the Romans allowed. I remember that Jim Bishop wrote in The Day Christ Died that this wine mixture really didn't have any pain-relieving effect, but the belief that it did, when shared by the condemned, may have been of some help.

This little movie is not my work, but a little thing based on some gifs I provided here for free ... pretty good work, I suppose :cool:

I know many people here think my work is A LOT too expensive to be purchased.
Those who received my documentation know that there is some stuff not so expensive .
There is even a FREE 40" movie ;)
I'm sorry because some people feel so frustrated about these prices, but this just my choice.

A good new : when my latest works will be finished, I think I shall do a big discount on older things !
And, as you can see, I provide enough often free stuff here :)

@jeddak : thx for this very documented answer .
About dynamic clothes, I need to look in the file because the girl here wears 4 dynamic clothes.Each one has its own settings.
The silky material is made with anisotropic specular.

@nux581 :
Here's the REAL ultimate fantasy ( this thread page 31 ) :

crux13-test-gif.507246

Thx !

Movie finally completed !

This one ( 13' long HD 1024x576 with sound & music ) is the hardest work I ever did until now !
I think I will never work again with this blond V2 girl... and take some rest for a while .

Another final extract for crux forum people :
(see above)
People interested by this work, please contact me in private ?

@jeddak : thx for this very documented answer .
About dynamic clothes, I need to look in the file because the girl here wears 4 dynamic clothes.Each one has its own settings.
The silky material is made with anisotropic specular.

Bartnel, the specularity of the cloth looks very much the way silk should! But I'm more interested in the way it drapes and folds. I have a whole crowd of Romans all dressed in dynamic cloth, each with its own simulation, more than 20 of them in a scene. This is a still picture only, not an animation.

536947-97f887507b010001c867a0e6238a3262.jpg

The look of them is way better than what I had using conforming clothing, but I still don't think my folds are as tight as I'd like, cloth seems too stiff and doesn't seem to hang quite the way it should.

Sabina Nailing Scene 1c-101_0001.jpg

I tried running the simulations 20 to 30 frames past the final pose to let the cloth settle as much as it would. Generally, it doesn't improve things. I already have the fold resistance and shear resistance set very low. Just wondering what settings you're using for your girl's clothing.

Attachments

• Sabina Nailing Scene 1c-114_0001.jpg
    Sabina Nailing Scene 1c-114_0001.jpg
    906.9 KB · Views: 1,823
@jedakk :
I found that stiffness may be caused by too low amount of polygons . What I do is to open the cloth mesh in my modeller (Lightwave), then I double the number of polygons by subdivision, then reload it in Poser.
In my movie, girl's dyn skirt polygons count is around 20.000

It seems your rendering software is DAZ-3D, no ?
Maybe it doesn't react like Poser... you can also reduce cloth density ?
Anyway, I think your result looks good !

@stepnash : that's right ! The story I currently work on is composed of 4 parts :
-Capture & undress
-Rape
-Interrogation under the whip
-Crucifixion ( ... & death ? )

@tiwongp2014 : it's a good idea that you remind me this story ! I nearly forgot :

The captured sisters have to face their ennemy :
Sc04-Arrival06.jpg

... but will stay chained in prison for a while :
Sc05-08.jpg

Last edited:
Bartnel, the specularity of the cloth looks very much the way silk should! But I'm more interested in the way it drapes and folds. I have a whole crowd of Romans all dressed in dynamic cloth, each with its own simulation, more than 20 of them in a scene. This is a still picture only, not an animation.

536947-97f887507b010001c867a0e6238a3262.jpg

The look of them is way better than what I had using conforming clothing, but I still don't think my folds are as tight as I'd like, cloth seems too stiff and doesn't seem to hang quite the way it should.

View attachment 536977

I tried running the simulations 20 to 30 frames past the final pose to let the cloth settle as much as it would. Generally, it doesn't improve things. I already have the fold resistance and shear resistance set very low. Just wondering what settings you're using for your girl's clothing.
@jedakk :
I found that stiffness may be caused by too low amount of polygons . What I do is to open the cloth mesh in my modeller (Lightwave), then I double the number of polygons by subdivision, then reload it in Poser.

@stepnash : that's right ! The story I currently work on is composed of 4 parts :
-Capture & undress
-Rape

@tiwongp2014 : it's a good idea that you remind me this story ! I nearly forgot :

View attachment 537110

View attachment 537111
Um... English is the language of this site...

Seriously, keep talking! I learn a bit every time.

"I think we should look at declaring war on the these 'Polygons'"
trump 001.jpg

Could be, I haven't really looked closely at the mesh in the clothing I'm using there. Since those surfaces can only bend where the polygons join, that's certainly a possibility. I might give it a try doubling the number of polygons and see what happens.

No, this is Poser Pro 11 using the Firefly renderer. Glad you like it! :)

@jedakk :

-Capture & undress
-Rape

View attachment 537110

View attachment 537111
Thanks! Looking forward for the many unbearable torture on the poor sisters

@nux581 :
Here's the REAL ultimate fantasy ( this thread page 31 ) :

crux13-test-gif.507246

Well... yes! An emphatic YES ! ! !

Gasping in my agony, wrists and feet pinioned to the wood with cold iron piercing skin, sinew and bone. The horizon veering crazily, as the world tilts and a hideous force tries to drag the spikes through my flesh. Pain so searing that my vision wavers in a haze of red. The awful thump as the stipes is set. Troll -like laughter rising from my tormenters as, through my pain and horror, I feel their eyes roaming over my straining body, drinking in my shuddering curves that they had lately been sampling...

Back
Top Bottom