Broken On The Wheel

Go to CruxDreams.com
Talk about nasty!

I am reading a history of the Baltic's right now and Charles the XII of Sweden had a man who he considered a traitor (Johann von Paskul) turned over to him as part of a peace treaty so he could have him broken on the wheel and then vivisected until he died.

My understanding is a victim of torture usually dies from exsanguination (blood loss). I'm wondering that if they used white hot knives and cauterized each dissection could he have lived long enough for them to have removed every organ until they got down to just his heart and lungs? I mean as long as they didn't cut off blood flow to the brain or destroy the circulation system ...............

Boys you of course KNOW what organs went first.

kisses

willowfall

Talk about nasty!

I am reading a history of the Baltic's right now and Charles the XII of Sweden had a man who he considered a traitor (Johann von Paskul) turned over to him as part of a peace treaty so he could have him broken on the wheel and then vivisected until he died.

My understanding is a victim of torture usually dies from exsanguination (blood loss). I'm wondering that if they used white hot knives and cauterized each dissection could he have lived long enough for them to have removed every organ until they got down to just his heart and lungs? I mean as long as they didn't cut off blood flow to the brain or destroy the circulation system ...............

Boys you of course KNOW what organs went first.

kisses

willowfall

"Boys you of course KNOW what organs went first."

You mean . . . ?
I don't let just ANY one touch my organ! It's a well-tuned instrument!
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpgexternal-content.duckduckgo.com3.jpgexternal-content.duckduckgo.com2.jpg

The Wiki article you linked just mentions that fact about his funeral,
it doesn't specify how they were despatched, hopefully fairly swiftly -
but flaying alive does seem to have been one of his favourite ways of torturing to death.

Mind you English executions could be brutal too, see https://www.historyhit.com/day-killers-charles-i-executed/
Those who signed King Charles the first's death warrant did not get off easy.
(nor did anyone convicted of "coining" i.e making counterfeit money. And women coiners were burned at the stake. AS would be the fate of a woman who murdered her husband or a servant girl who murdered her master or mistress.)
BTW I said English advisedly as I believe that ,in those days, the law in Scotland and Ireland might have been different, though probably no kinder to the condemned.

And rather like crux. Not as per romantic paintings.

There was a BBC history program about Joan of Arc, so often portrayed as accepting her fate with some forlorn saintly look on her face dressed in religious regalia....

Err... nope

When first led to the stake she was so terrified that she confessed and repented and begged not to be burned

So they 'let her off' and took her back to the prison...

Where she promptly fucked up and said something blasphemous only to be led back to the stake terrified

She was dressed in a simple gown and was first burnt so that "her clothes were gone and the crowd could see that she was a mere woman" i.e. not some super warrior

Then she was finished with a second burn

the law in Scotland and Ireland might have been different,
Scottish Law still is fundamentally different from the rest of the UK - as of course is that of the Irish Republic.
But as far as executions went in early modern times (which, contrary to what's usually put out,
were in many ways a lot nastier than the medieval centuries), although very nasty things were done
in clan warfare, border reiving and family feuds, actual public executions seem to have been marginally less horrible -
hanging, drawing and quartering was an English speciality, Scottish witches were strangled before their bodies were burnt, etc.

Plus they made her grow her hair long too, so no stupid boyish medieval bowl cuts either.
that would probably have hastened her end, hair burns quickly and fiercely -
in her legend, while Eulalia was being roasted between two braziers,
she shook her long hair over the coals so it caught fire and she died quicker.

Back
Top Bottom