Crime and Punishment in Modern Singapore

Go to CruxDreams.com
She had spent the last 20 minutes trying to come up with some excuse, some story to mitigate her guilt. She had been completely unsuccessful.

Digging herself into a hole
Digging Moore into the hole
Digging even Moore into the hole
So deep now, there's no escape

The caning will be painful
It will be Moore painful
It will be even Moore painful

There is one consolation
Singapore healthcare is good

Will she be Moore respectful now?

“Please search the wastebaskets.” There was a small trash basket at the foot of each bed. Barb gave an involuntary gasp as she remembered throwing the wrapper in her basket.

Ooops ... that about wrappers things up ... :facepalm:

“This is a problem. Long, get Lin settled and then come to my office. Sing, bring inmate Moore along with me.”

OHHHH SHIT!!!!

To be fair to Barbara (and those are words I never thought I would utter), we have now reached the stage where our respective 'leaders' on both sides of the Atlantic now routinely deny things that have already been caught on camera.

I guess I’m qualified to run for office then? :confused:

Shift Head Matron’s Office. Central Station Holding Facility 9:05 PM SST

Yi Ying Wong sat in a large chair behind the desk and the young man on a comfortable chair beside her. Moore went to sit in the padded chair across from the desk, but Wong snapped: “Inmate Moore shall remain standing, at attention!” Barb was surprised. From the time she had been placed under arrest in the police van until now, everyone had been unfailingly courteous and solicitous of her comfort. She braced to something like attention with a guard on either side.

“This is William Koh, from the Attorney General Chambers, the Public Prosecutor,” said Wong in an ominous voice. “He is Chambers’ liaison for the police station and jail. I have told him of our problem.” Barb smiled flirtingly at the handsome young man who stared back without emotion. Damn! She thought, he must be gay.

“Together, Mr. Koh and I have reviewed your file,” she held up a surprisingly thick folder, “including the personal reports of your arresting officers as well as the confidential reports of your booking Corporal, and the Jail intake officer. It is remarkable reading.”

“They were all prejudiced against me!” interjected Barbara. “I intend to file formal complaints against each of them when I get out of here.” Koh gave Wong a knowing look and a nod.

“We shall be completely fair to you, inmate Moore. Mr. Koh will recite what I told him about the incident with your cellmate and these guards. If there is any error, this is your chance to ‘complain’.” She spoke the last word with heavy sarcasm.

Koh referred to a legal notepad and proceeded to repeat the story of the evening in detail and with flawless accuracy. When he finished, he asked Barb if it was true or if she disagreed with any part. Barb started to object. But realizing there was no way out, she grudgingly said, “Yes, I guess it is mostly true. No disagreement, Sir.”

Koh raised an eyebrow at the semi confession. “Well, at least you now seem to be learning the advantage of truthfulness,” said Koh. “At least when there is no way to deny the facts. I only wish you had earlier. Your actions of the last few hours had significantly complicated your case. It had been planned to have you appear before a magistrate tomorrow, accompanied by your embassy representative to face the police charges. Then there might be a speedy resolution of the matter. However, if we add these charges, theft and lying to jail authorities, it would delay your hearing.

“What! No fucking way!” Said Barb.

Koh was clearly offended at the language, but proceeded professionally. “There could not be a hearing tomorrow with new charges, and the magistrate's court doesn’t sit on Sunday. The earliest would be two days off, Monday. Though scheduling issues could easily cause the delay to be closer to a week.”

A week! thought Barb. “Oh, no! Please God, not a week in this hellhole.” Out of the corner of her eye, she caught the head matron and both guards stiffen at the slur to their institution.

“AND,” continued Koh, “the combining of charges would make the case MUCH more serious.”

Barb felt her stomach drop as she faced a week in jail before facing “more serious charges.”

“Oh please, Mr. Koh,” She pleaded with a little flutter of her voice and her eyelids, can’t we find a way to work this out? I’d be ever so grateful to you, if you could help me.”

The prosecutor looked mildly disgusted. Barb was now sure he was gay. He proceeded.

“I have discussed the options with the Miss Wong and we also would like to avoid the extra time and work and allow you to have swift justice and be released as soon as possible.”

“Oh, thank you, Sir,” blurted out Barb. “You’re very kind!” Maybe the gay guy was on her side!

“Not so fast, Miss Moore. The alternative is to have the jail authorities administer their own punishment, with your permission, of course.”

“Yes, whatever will get me out of this place faster.” A smile of apology at Wong. “Wait a moment. What jail punishment? What are we talking about?”

“That is up to the Matron here.” Barb turned to Wong with a pleading look on her face.

“Since you’re are a stranger here,” started Wong. “And it’s your first offence, I would like to let you off with the absolute minimal punishment allowed.” Barb felt some relief. “However, I am concerned that your behavior indicates an incorrigible attitude which cannot be tolerated in a well-run detention facility.”

“Oh, I can do better!” Barb cried. “I’ve just been a little confused.” She turned to the guards on either side. “We can get along better, can’t we, girls?”

Both guards ignored her comment and continued staring sternly ahead.

“Very well, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, Miss Moore.”

“Oh, you won’t regret it!”

“Four strokes with the #1, the lightest jail cane, on your bare arse.”

Barb’s jaw dropped. A caning!! On her bare butt!!! There had to be something wrong! In shock she cried out. “A caning!” she almost shouted. “You’ve got to be fucking kidding! A caning for one lousy, stinking little candy bar! Who the hell do you think you are, Inspector Javert?” she said condescendingly.

Wong maintained a passive expression, though close inspection would have revealed a clenching of her jaw muscles.

“You are not some Jean Valjean stealing bread to feed your sister's baby.” (to Barb’s surprise Wong had gotten the Victor Hugo reference) “You are to be punished for two serious violations of jail order. With your rude and disrespectful outburst, I shall increase it to six strokes. Do you wish to yell or use more foul language? It would be in my discretion to increase it to as much as ten with a heavier cane!”

Somehow Barbara controlled herself and said nothing.

“Do you accept the punishment, Miss Moore,” asked Koh. “We cannot force your acceptance. The alternative is, as I described, to refer it to the court system with the attendant delay. However, I can assure you that the magistrate would impose as much if not more given that you are a multiple offender. Plus, you will spend up to a week in jail.”

Barbara was trapped. The extra week alone was unacceptable, and she believed him concerning the additional punishment from the judge.

“You promise this will not be reported to the judge?”

“I can assure that we will not report any of this, if you agree,” said Wong.

Barb managed to nod a reluctant yes. Koh gave her a pen and had her sign the permission form. He and the two guards witnessed.

“Long, please administer the punishment yourself,” instructed Wong with a tight-lipped smile. “Inmate Moore accused you especially and she needs to learn to respect her warders here. Apply it well. Sing, please assist.” With that the two matrons turned Barbara around, drew her arms behind her and cuffed her. Then taking an arm each, they ushered her toward the door. Before she was out, she was complaining about the cuffs.

Wong and Koh looked at each other.

“Do you think that’s the end of that, Yi Ying?” asked Koh with a sigh.

“I doubt it, Bill,” said Wong with a slight sneer.

Barb smiled flirtingly at the handsome young man who stared back without emotion. Damn! She thought, he must be gay.

Just my luck ... :doh:

It is remarkable reading

An understatement if there ever was one :confused:

“What! No fucking way!” Said Barb

Articulately put ... :rolleyes:

“Oh please, Mr. Koh,” She pleaded with a little flutter of her voice and her eyelids, can’t we find a way to work this out? I’d be ever so grateful to you, if you could help me.”

Laying it on a little thick... :p

“Not so fast, Miss Moore. The alternative is to have the jail authorities administer their own punishment, with your permission, of course.”

is there any fine print involved? :rolleyes:

Somehow Barbara controlled herself and said nothing.

That’s a first ... ;)

“Do you think that’s the end of that, Yi Ying?” asked Koh with a sigh.

“I doubt it, Bill,” said Wong with a slight sneer.

This is obviously and entertainingly only the beginning.:p:facepalm:

Much Moore to come :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom