Go to CruxDreams.com
people are somewhat speechless
Ahum, I couldn't really go for that 'whipping to death' thing. I hope people don't feel let down ... also, there are various premonitions in the story, and if some viewpoint character just has a vision, that might turn out to be wrong, but if I bring in the Gods...
As the Gods wished, King Hastinbar and the novice Mirasintsa would a... few days hence, come upon each other for the first time since the pyre.
that means she has to at least meet the King once more, under the, umm, circumstances described there... and there isn't much time left to arrange that...

Ahum, I couldn't really go for that 'whipping to death' thing. I hope people don't feel let down ...

You go where the story takes you. Besides the episode seems to fit with the character of the High Priest we have seen so far, he genuinely believes he is there to save souls rather than smash bodies. Of course whether his beliefs are correct will yet be revealed.

Ahum, I couldn't really go for that 'whipping to death' thing.
I can never bring myself to do that either. :eek: And "let down" is not how I would describe my interest in your story.:)
Nothing new here for now..., except this maybe could be Mirasintsa waiting, ready for something to be done to her ;)
View attachment 358816
Lovely picture - haunted eyes.

Blind Sculptor (1)

Sister Noiramas took Anrirathu aside after the evening ceremony, as all the other disciples of the Order quietly filed out of the Hall of Ceremony.

It was the day after her first purification.

Only a few candles remained burning, as the Sister of the Order raised the first of the curtains that concealed the holy ones.

“You may touch the sacred image of the One”– as she drew Anrirathu forward, who knelt, and, hesitant, shuffled closer on her knees to place her hands on the sacred icon that now looked out into the expanse of the dark Hall; to touch its brow, to feel the carved features of the outward-looking face of the God.

Sharply cut, powerful, and wise.

Anrirathu traced her fingertips along the temples to where the hairline would begin, finding a series of knots that toward the top of the head became small faces of their own, budding out, as the thoughts in the mind of the One gave birth to lesser Gods, lumbering Giants, and other creations.

To the back, there was another face, the inward-looking, of softer and rounder shape, eyes closed in dreaming or contemplation, of which she could not say whether it was surfacing from, or sinking into the grain of the wood.

“I can see him”, said Anrirathu, as her hands ran over the icon.

“The One?”

Curled chips of wood on the floor. The smell of the workshop.

“I see him who gives shape. I see ... the woodcutter. And I feel the touch of the hands, of others who have knelt here. It is as if I place my palm against theirs.”

“You see this from a touch to carved wood? Then I have little doubt you will soon have a vision of the Beyond, a visit of the Gods themselves. I feel you have the heart of a true believer.”

“It’s the only heart I could have, that would continue beating. I know there are Devils, and if there were no Gods, all the world would be their Hell ... but it isn’t … it’s full of beauty...”

Anyone entering into the Order was allowed to keep exactly one possession from their previous life.
Anrirathu had not known of personal things, of possessions, in the age of her solitude.
There had been only she, and the darkness, and trust, trust in the promise of the only one, the one who always returned.

From the brief releases into the outside, the hours of dancing and rushing, she could never bring back anything to hold in her hands, only things to hold in her mind, and how precious those were.

That she could keep nothing was among the conditions enforced upon the allowances of freedom she could be granted.

Else things would be seen and He would know.

Since the childhood days before her sequestration, she had owned nothing but memories, and the forgotten hours of the night, and unseen flickers at the corner of the eye.

After she emerged, she did not have much opportunity or reason to accumulate property.

So, when she entered the convent, apart from the tattered cloak that had been cut from her when they found her in the ravine, she had kept all she ever owned – as the only other thing upon her had been the Pendant of Rejoining.

And so she knew, from how she had obtained it,

“...the world is full of beauty, and even if people go and cast it away, the Gods may save it, they bring back beauty forever anew, and make us find it, and challenge us to see and accept it, and carry it with us.”

Anrirathu also knows of the vision of Beyond that the Sister mentioned, because for so much of her life she dreamed of a Beyond, to break out from the walls, and now she lives in a Beyond, even though she cannot join into it completely.

Not without a face. Not without my own self.

It is terrifying, but she can’t go back; the citadel has crumbled.
Still she often seeks out the safety of dark, enclosed spaces.
Perhaps even the separation forced upon her by the Curse makes her life bearable at all.
What would it be to live entirely in this world? Could she endure it?

What of the memories?
It seems to her every day, perhaps every hour of her life outside, after venturing out from among the crevasses in the rocks, erases a week or a month or a year of her memory.

The dreams are leaving me.

Like dry leaves whisked away, like bats rushing from a cave… never to return.

I forgot who you were. I had forgotten your name even.
For a while people would speak of you and it was as if it meant nothing, your name.
Only just now I have discovered it anew, like a jewel that must be washed from the dirt.
When I came here, I had almost forgotten my own as no one ever knew it but you.

A word rolls from her tongue that is foreign to Sister Noiramas but doesn’t ring as blasphemy when spoken in the Hall.

“Yarinareth”, she says.

“... which means…?”

“The word in our tradition for the Beyond. And the urge to seek it. At the easternmost point of our lands there is the ancient temple with that word on its great arch. Pointing out to sea, to the distant shore, beyond imagination.”

It’s a thing Anrirathu knows from stories.

Stories had kept her alive, brought the entire world to her through the eyes of another.
Stories the two of them had whispered to each other in the forgotten hours, when He would not hear.

She has never traveled to that spit of land.
All travels she had ever made – they had circled back to her seclusion, except the one that had brought her here to the monastery.

The stories that she had herself whispered back – from where had they come?
Not from a world which she hardly knew.
Did they rise from childhood memories turned over ten thousand times in isolation, memories of which she could no longer tell whether they were only an imagined past, from whispers in her ear … or perhaps they came indeed, from the Beyond.

Anrirathu retreated from the sacred icon and let her hands fall at her sides.
The candles sputtered; the Ceremony was done and they were not meant to last much longer.

“Have you ever encountered one … laid eyes upon a God?”, she asks her mentor.

“Oh yes, Anrirathu. Several times. Lesser ones only, for sure, but they do still walk the earth. They no longer reveal themselves as in the Dawntime though. And it was always only well after they had passed on that I knew them. I would even speak with them and I knew them not. You must understand, Anrirathu, that those who know the Gods at first sight – those indeed we call prophets, and it seems there are less of them among men, than there are of the Gods in the sky and the sea and the earth.”

During the months of her wanderings after going forth from the rubble, Anrirathu had twice met with Abominables, which she knew as such from the legends, but even looking back, she does not believe she ever met with divine spirits. Though they did at least once guide the choice of her path.

Then, Sister Noiramas snuffed the three remaining candles.
The Hall was utterly dark and still except for their breathing.

“You have explored the face of the God with your fingertips; if only as a carving.”

“I too would wish to explore a face this way; though not that of a God, nor that of a carving. May I now touch you, Anrirathu.”

The answer is in the sound of fabric slipping as, safe from the harm of light, the child of the new moon removes the layers of her obscuration.

"Stories had kept her alive, brought the entire world to her through the eyes of another."
Anrirathu, we both love stories.
And I love this one! :)
Malins, do I accent the second syllable? AnRIRathu?
Thanks!
Yes we love stories here ...
... she absolutely needed them to exist...
Yes, stress would be on the second and last syllable in that name.

Anyway, I guess I disgruntled half of my audience who usually 'liked' with my little bait-and-switch tactic in the previous episode; I promise to improve myself!

A little bit more on a word that appears in this episode... usually all the names and places are completely made up. However I've used an illustration by Sidney Sime here in the thread, who illustrated Lord Dunsany's works. Some of them are quite fitting,
sidney_sime_hish_1906.jpg
this is 'Hish' by Sidney Sime, from 1906, but could be an interpretation of Anrirathu as well

so I've had a look at some of his 'Gods of Pegana', and there it is,
Lod Dunsany said:
Yarinareth, Yarinareth, Yarinareth, which signifieth Beyond—these words be carved in letters of gold upon the arch of the great portal of the Temple of Roon that men have builded looking towards the East upon the Sea, where Roon is carved as a giant trumpeter, with his trumpet pointing towards the East beyond the Seas.

So I couldn't help stealing Yarinareth, as it fits perfectly, by coincidence. Anrirathu in the story is after all from a place on the sea in the Northeast, and their mythology has the idea of the 'Distant Shore', a place of the Beyond, which, since they have been building properly seagoing ships, ...
sidney_sime_5805833749_007b3c8c45_o.jpg 5805833451_cc261419a0_o.jpg
Sidney Sime again!

... has been reached, and sadly turned out to be just another ordinary piece of land. But it would have made sense for them in their ancient past to build a 'temple looking towards the East upon the Sea' inscribed with that word. (That doesn't mean any of the other theology of 'Pegana' applies to this world ;)

Also while it's not close enough to be anywhere near anagrammatic, Dunsany's 'Yarinareth' and my 'Anrirathu' share a lot of sounds.

Since she's apparently been locked away for much of her life, the world she moves in now, is in fact a kind of 'the beyond' for her, that she can't fully inhabit.

Because the condition of her curse is, that if she wants to be fully a part of that world (revealing herself) - she'd lose her identity and assume that of someone's vision of terror. So, though now she's living right in the middle of the 'world outside' it does remain an unattainable Beyond. Yarinareth!

Blind Sculptor (2)

May I now touch you, Anrirathu.” - The answer is in the sound of fabric slipping as, safe from the harm of light, the child of the new moon removes the layers of her obscuration.
------

As Sister Noiramas slowly advanced her hands she had to brush aside masses of unruly, frazzled hair.

No wonder, she washes herself often, but can’t stay in the sun to dry her hair, or have anyone brush it or braid it.

She felt a feverish heat radiating as her hands hovered in front of the unknown face.

It was Anrirathu then who bowed forward, as if to immerse herself in a basin of water, or to pray, to bow in praise of shadows .Sister Noiramas felt a brief flutter of long lashes against the palms of her hands as she laid them on Anrirathu’s face, who pulled in air through her teeth and stifled a sob.

The texture of her afflicted skin recalled both that of a babe born much too soon and a wrinkled ancient long past any sane measure of years.

Burning hot; blood pulsing beneath; moist, raised rashes across her brows and cheeks; cracked, dry, flaky spots elsewhere.

As Anrirathu herself told, this was the closest she ever came to healing, in complete darkness.
When light struck her, it would cause her skin to boil and churn with a flash of unbearable pain, coming to rest only after many hours.

However, what contours she could feel beneath that curse-burned skin, the shape of the bones underneath the cracks and crusts and ridges, were not much unlike those beneath any other face, as far as Sister Noiramas could tell. However, she found it impossible to form any distinct image in her mind only from tracing with her fingertips, it was only disconnected details she could discern. She could envision no likeness.

Blind men, it was they who could sometimes see with their hands.
A blind man with that gift might guess from the shape of the bones, how her face had once appeared.

“Does it hurt when I touch you?”

“No. Are you … afraid… of touching me?”

“No…. I trust you, when you say it is a curse and not a contamination, of no danger as long as we heed your warning. And then remember who is it right behind you - I trust the Gods, I have gone with the Sorrowmaidens to the lepers, and I have not been afflicted.”

Sister Noiramas felt Anrirathu’s face crease and wrinkle as a smile formed, but she also felt hot tears between her fingertips.

For a long time they both knelt like that, in darkness and complete silence except for the rhythm of their breathing.

Each of them was split between the sensation of the moment and the thoughts spinning in their minds, free in the absence of any but each others’ person and the Icon of the One in its silent blessing.

Sister Noiramas felt the laying of her hands onto the cursed woman’s face was as much an act of worship to the Gods as what Anrirathu had done in laying her hands on the Icon and drawing up her vision; and as much as what she herself had done in the years when she’d gone to comfort the outcasts, to touch the lepers’ skin-wrapped bones.

She knew that Anrirathu had confessed to the High Priest, but not of what; it would become shared knowledge within the Order only at the ceremony of initiation. As the High Priest’s own past of sin, and her own. If that was the way Anrirathu chose. However the Priest had passed what knowledge he had gained of Anrirathu’s condition on to her.

She had come to think that the Priest saw Anrirathu as a riddle to solve, certainly also a sufferer to hopefully heal; but perhaps first there was the challenge of accepting her as she was. She had come from the darkness; bring her into the light, and something would be lost forever.

For Anrirathu, it was only the second time her face had felt a human touch since she had crawled out at night between the jagged rocks.

There will come a time when you must emerge, when you must break forth from the tower, and leave the darkness.
You must go quickly then, and go far.
Shun all who were close to me, avoid them.
Not because they’d threaten you, but because He may be lurking near them, hovering around them, waiting for you to come close enough to seize.

You’ll have to break out and I won’t be there for you then.
There will be other people though.
You’ll have to learn to speak to them with your own voice, see them with your own eyes, and you’ll have to learn to stand all on your own among them. I know you are strong enough. You were always the stronger of us two.

I won’t be there then.
But I’ll leave you my dreams.”

Time was a difficult thing for me to measure, often I’d just curl up and sleep.
But it seemed to me you would let me out almost every day, at least briefly.
It would always be a beautiful place.
Always a different one.

Sometimes just like now we would sit in the dark first.
Together, in silent agreement, in conspiracy, you and I, we secret sisters.
Often you would talk, you always had so much to tell.
Though when I raised my voice you cherished every word I said and every note I sang.
You said my song was the fountain for you to renew yourself.

But the talking, it was mostly you, and then you’d take me along, you would wave your hand and make the great door swing.
The black citadel then a marvelous cathedral of light.
And out we’d charge into the splendid sun, the two of us.

And sometimes on returning you’d shift a stone here or there in the wall.
And I knew then the time was right that I could look out a bit even after you’d left.
That for a while it was safe, for a while I could see the world for myself, though it never lasted long before the shadow fell again.

I saw that the great stones of the wall would obey you, turn at your lightest touch, many things obeyed your touch, but you were bound to obey His touch.
But sometimes you confounded Him.

And you showed me skills of hiding, and of traveling trails of air, swift and silent.
So when the moon stood right you could let me out alone.
Granting me all the woods to roam at night.
Or the mountainsides up to the glaciers, to the peaks way on up where the wind wails.
But always I knew I must not ever come out under His eyes, ever; and I must always slip back unseen.

All the things you shared, all that you showed me, so I might one day stand alone, you hoped.

These days I come upon something new and strange to me, and it is as if in that moment, the sound is in my ear, the echo of your voice, whispering of what it should be, of what I might do. If only I didn’t forget so much.

So many things that I thought I remembered, that I thought I’ve done before, but they’re out of your stories and dreams.

But I don’t know if I can stand alone.
Did you think I could stand against Him?

Who is it that I really am.
What if that is all I am – a dream made flesh, real for so long as kept sheltered in the dark, reveal it to the light of others’ eyes, and it vanishes, a vapor in the wind.

Is that what He saw when He spat the poison at me?

That all I am is a child of darkness, crawling toward the light, but to darkness and nothingness is where the Curse drives me back, … and here I am, in an unlit hall, safe only in a church that chants, ‘when I’m nothing I am free’, and I know it to be true, I know it from yesterday, the purification, and I know it from the years after the walls closed around me, and I know it from when you let me peek out in moments when you yourself where about to become nothing, and it would happen that someone saw me then, for the blink of an eye, but they forgot me right away, because who remembers looking at nothing?

But I can’t stay alone in the dark forever.

Because there too, the sound is in my ear.
When I am alone too long, that sound is in my ear.
And I know what it is now, I will never forget again.
Never breaking off, but hollowed out, losing its timbre, turning reedy and thin and high, fading into that distant piping whistle that never quite goes away.
It burst from your lips and it never stopped.
The scream, your terrible, unending scream as He swallowed you whole, consumed your soul.

And you made that sacrifice for me.
You could have taken the hand offered, the hand that would guide you through the desolation, the hand that offered peace.
I would have followed you.
We could both have fallen into his arms, I would have embraced Death with you, even without ever having really lived.

But today I know – above all what you wanted was for me to be, to live, at any cost.
And it was you to pay the price for my living.

I didn’t understand at the time.
You had grown so weak but in that, your will was so strong.
I thought you had gone mad.

You were light and brittle by then, easy to pick up and carry, how could you have become so incredibly thin without anyone noticing?
He was eating you from the inside, and I knew you were dying then, and I knew you knew it too.
No on else could see I guess, because they couldn’t look at you from the inside as I could.
You had said the day would come when you would be consumed and I would have to go out on my own.
Find my way through and out of this underworld.

You paid the price so I could emerge.
And how did I honor you – until recently, I had forgotten who you even were.

Did you want it that way, … did you ... make it that way,
...hoping if I did not know you, in turn He would not know me?

I think it’s true He never understood what I was.
He didn’t know how to devour me like he devoured you.
But he saw me, and he laughed at my bleary-eyed face, and he cursed me.
I had to come out when the citadel crumbled, and He was waiting, and He caught me right away.

There were suddenly steps then, at the portal of the darkened Hall of Ceremony.

Shock struck Sister Noiramas, how could she have forgotten the bolt.

Before she could do anything, someone stepped inside, illuminating the hall with his torch.
Perhaps just looking for something he’d left behind.

Flickers of light struck Anrirathu’s face.
A split second view of clear, bright eyes reflecting the pinpoint of light that rose into a wall of flame.

Blind Sculptor (3)

Whoever it was who’d stepped in was, so it seemed, thrown clear out again from the Hall by the sudden shriek that echoed out of it. The door fell shut again.

Sister Noiramas had her arms covering the trembling form of Anrirathu, who had buried her face in the other woman’s lap. Who lightly brushed her brow as she came up again. Anrirathu sharply drew in air through her teeth. There had been no reason to think she might have been lying, but it was something different to feel it.

So this was what it was like. It was true.
Just the flicker of the torch, and her skin was covered with blisters.
As if the torch had been pushed right into her face.
How must it be if she was ever exposed to full sunlight.

One voice mumbled over and over again how sorry she was about forgetting to block the door.
The other voice, – Oh, it happens, it happens. The world is full of light and it cannot be helped that it sometimes strikes me.

A pinpoint of light that rose into a wall of flame.
I saw her eyes, I looked into her eyes for half a heartbeat and I won’t forget, they were clear, deep and beautiful, but that fire seemed to rise out of them. It was more than the flicker of the torch reflected. Did I that moment come close to taking her curse upon me? Was a Devil ready to step out, part those flames for a moment, seize me and draw me in?

It was dangerous what I did. I wanted to feel, but what I very nearly did, was to see.

There are things that must not be seen.
There are searing flames spat at us from beyond.
There are shadows not cast by anything of this world but still their length falls over us and chills us to the heart.

But then again, in this world imperiled by the unfathomable, there was also that man, who could see without seeing.

She told Anrirathu of him.

The blind man who left the monastery many years ago to live in the woods, out beyond the deep cuts of the ravines where weeks ago they’d found her, near dead of thirst.

Not a hermit though he was, that man; he shared his life with a woman, a tiny wizened creature, who for limbs had naught but a half-crippled arm. He carried her about in a basket on his back while she'd see for him when he needed it. Also finish his sentences. Abandoned at birth as a malformed abomination, she’d been expected to live at most a day but anyone’s best guess today was she’d outlast a century.

The man, in turn, was – unlikely as it seemed – a sculptor.
A blind sculptor.

He would run his hands over things be they living or not, caress them with his fingertips and then seemingly sink them inside, and he would know their shape forever. Then he could remake them, worked from clay or carved from wood, whenever he wanted to, starting the next day, or years later.

What he made perhaps had not the perfection of the famed marble statues that graced the gardens of Gabardine emperors, but you would always recognize them for what they truly were, see the soul, the essence of their being.

He gave his sculptures away – or he released them, as he said, placing them somewhere in the woods, beside streams, in hollowed half-dead trees or coves in the rocks. Those which he let pass into other people’s hands were often cherished and kept as talismans or housed in private shrines.

Since he only made images of things he could touch, and never made images of things that were made as images themselves, he did not form the faces of Gods, as they did not present themselves to be felt under his hands.

Sister Noiramas recalled some disagreement was said to have resulted from that omission, instigating him to turn his back on the Order, so that few there knew of him today. But she did.

He had never been formally expelled though, and so, when her schedule allowed for it, she could take Anrirathu to him.

To have him bring the shape of her face to light again, with no pain or danger for herself or others.

Anrirathu agreed.

She could not do otherwise than bear her curse, but if there were blessings given to others in this world that allowed her to spite her tormentor, she was past all fear of doing so.

Blind sculptor, she thought, your guess will be as good as mine.
Or better.
Guess the face that none can know, not even I who should wear it

She knew the color of her hair and how it fell in front of her eyes, but she didn’t know her own face.

Had there ever been a looking-glass or mirror-pool about, when she was let out of her confinement?
Not once.
Did all such surfaces have to be covered to conceal a hateful reflection of ugliness?

No.
Then, I was not ugly.
I remember His glee as he watched my face melt.
What did He excel and rejoice in?
Destroying the fair, tainting the innocent, twisting the true.

So, once I must have been beautiful,
she thought, perhaps almost as beautiful as you.
Perhaps I looked much the same as you did.
Was it that what had to be concealed?

Blind Sculptor (3)

Whoever it was who’d stepped in was, so it seemed, thrown clear out again from the Hall by the sudden shriek that echoed out of it. The door fell shut again.

Sister Noiramas had her arms covering the trembling form of Anrirathu, who had buried her face in the other woman’s lap. Who lightly brushed her brow as she came up again. Anrirathu sharply drew in air through her teeth. There had been no reason to think she might have been lying, but it was something different to feel it.

So this was what it was like. It was true.
Just the flicker of the torch, and her skin was covered with blisters.
As if the torch had been pushed right into her face.
How must it be if she was ever exposed to full sunlight.

One voice mumbled over and over again how sorry she was about forgetting to block the door.
The other voice, – Oh, it happens, it happens. The world is full of light and it cannot be helped that it sometimes strikes me.

A pinpoint of light that rose into a wall of flame.
I saw her eyes, I looked into her eyes for half a heartbeat and I won’t forget, they were clear, deep and beautiful, but that fire seemed to rise out of them. It was more than the flicker of the torch reflected. Did I that moment come close to taking her curse upon me? Was a Devil ready to step out, part those flames for a moment, seize me and draw me in?

It was dangerous what I did. I wanted to feel, but what I very nearly did, was to see.

There are things that must not be seen.
There are searing flames spat at us from beyond.
There are shadows not cast by anything of this world but still their length falls over us and chills us to the heart.

But then again, in this world imperiled by the unfathomable, there was also that man, who could see without seeing.

She told Anrirathu of him.

The blind man who left the monastery many years ago to live in the woods, out beyond the deep cuts of the ravines where weeks ago they’d found her, near dead of thirst.

Not a hermit though he was, that man; he shared his life with a woman, a tiny wizened creature, who for limbs had naught but a half-crippled arm. He carried her about in a basket on his back while she'd see for him when he needed it. Also finish his sentences. Abandoned at birth as a malformed abomination, she’d been expected to live at most a day but anyone’s best guess today was she’d outlast a century.

The man, in turn, was – unlikely as it seemed – a sculptor.
A blind sculptor.

He would run his hands over things be they living or not, caress them with his fingertips and then seemingly sink them inside, and he would know their shape forever. Then he could remake them, worked from clay or carved from wood, whenever he wanted to, starting the next day, or years later.

What he made perhaps had not the perfection of the famed marble statues that graced the gardens of Gabardine emperors, but you would always recognize them for what they truly were, see the soul, the essence of their being.

He gave his sculptures away – or he released them, as he said, placing them somewhere in the woods, beside streams, in hollowed half-dead trees or coves in the rocks. Those which he let pass into other people’s hands were often cherished and kept as talismans or housed in private shrines.

Since he only made images of things he could touch, and never made images of things that were made as images themselves, he did not form the faces of Gods, as they did not present themselves to be felt under his hands.

Sister Noiramas recalled some disagreement was said to have resulted from that omission, instigating him to turn his back on the Order, so that few there knew of him today. But she did.

He had never been formally expelled though, and so, when her schedule allowed for it, she could take Anrirathu to him.

To have him bring the shape of her face to light again, with no pain or danger for herself or others.

Anrirathu agreed.

She could not do otherwise than bear her curse, but if there were blessings given to others in this world that allowed her to spite her tormentor, she was past all fear of doing so.

Blind sculptor, she thought, your guess will be as good as mine.
Or better.
Guess the face that none can know, not even I who should wear it

She knew the color of her hair and how it fell in front of her eyes, but she didn’t know her own face.

Had there ever been a looking-glass or mirror-pool about, when she was let out of her confinement?
Not once.
Did all such surfaces have to be covered to conceal a hateful reflection of ugliness?

No.
Then, I was not ugly.

Again beyond well worth the wait. A beautiful chapter!!!

No.
Then, I was not ugly.

Beautiful indeed, exposing thin delicate layers, as Anrirathu exposes her face and identity. The way you write her, she is timid, innocent and beautiful. Her sorrows and torments have not driven that out of her. I am afraid for her, because in spite of everything, she hopes, it seems, and the man who watched her face melt is not the only one against her.
Lovely work!

Really, I am in awe of Malins, all the more so that she is writing in a foreign language. I wonder what her German prose is like?

I'm attempting to pen a little story myself at the moment, and I can only say that if it contains even a quarter of the poetry and beauty of this one I will be well pleased.

"The world is full of light and it cannot be helped that it sometimes strikes me."

Thanks for the comments!

About writing in English vs. German, I've been writing all of this story in English from the start, there's in fact not any part of it at all that I'd written in german first and then translated. For some reason I'm finding it easier to write something like this in English than in German. This is probably because I'd be too censoring of it in German, while in English I care less. I can just go and mangle the language!
timid, innocent and beautiful
Hmm, the condition of her prior existence would probably make anyone somewhat timid in interacting with the world on her own. As for the rest, I'll be writing a bit more of her, and then there'll be other characters to (re) visit...

Anyway, a question to my small circle of faithful readers here. Sometimes I don't know if I'm overdoing it with hints, or on the other hand whether I'm assuming people are fanatical followers of the twisted plot and maybe I should be more direct. In Anrirathu's recollections of her past there's always a 'you' and a 'He'. Everybody knows who they are ;) ?

Back
Top Bottom