Fem Warriors Agains The Romans And All.

Go to CruxDreams.com
"Cohort on the command right face, right...face." or alternately again orders can be issued by details, you see an exposed flank, I see simple drill manoeuvres.
Hmm but you see, from your viewpoint as commander you assume that your order will be exercised instantly and perfectly on the field.
It takes time though to reorder those formations. They can't even see properly (awareness of their own position in regard to the enemy is lacking... ;) The enemy is too quick and too close. And when those simple drills suddenly don't work panic strikes...

'Varus, give me back my legions!' .... No, they have been swallowed by the woods...

(I'll have to look up the Trung sisters...)

Hmm but you see, from your viewpoint as commander you assume that your order will be exercised instantly and perfectly on the field.

Ah that word; see...drill was first developed because of the recognition that that the common solider could see next to nothing.

The commander-

Centuria.jpg

-Issues orders to units and groups (details) under her command but from a standardised menu of practiced moves each individual can perform amidst the mob of others. Instant is not something that happens for either side in battle and perfect, well I can attest to having been in a detail or two that had to remedy the wrong move myself and instructing a fair few more simply on the parade ground.

Just I would caution you, when you see an invitingly open flank, ask what is waiting for you there?

bowwoman.jpg

Else you may find yourself well and truly shafted (where did you think the word originally came from ;) ) by a lot of nasty surprises.

Balance caution (and a touch of paranoia) with decision and rapidity (albeit slow rapidity in practice) and the Goddess Victory may smile upon you

VictoryNike.jpg

Nothing in this life is certain however.

(I'll have to look up the Trung sisters...)
me too! There's masses about them on Wiki, Google Images and YouTube,
I'm ashamed I'd never heard of them, a splendidly feisty pair,
great to learn of a nation that celebrates heroines -
thanks for mentioning them, RR.

A few centuries after the Trung Sisters, another Warrior Woman arose in Vietnam to drive back the Chinese invaders. She was known as Trieu Thi Trinh or Ba Trieu (Lady Trieu) (225-248 AD), and is sometimes called "The Vietnamese Joan of Arc". Like the Trung Sisters, she is often depicted riding a war elephant. She is said to have led her troops in over 30 battles before being defeated, choosing to drown herself rather than submit to capture. She was still only 23.

She is quoted as saying: “I will not resign myself to the lot of women who bow their heads and become concubines. I wish to ride the tempest, tame the waves, kill the sharks. I have no desire to take abuse.”
trieu2.jpg painting-of-Ba-Trieu.jpg ba trieu.jpg ba trieu2.jpg trieu.jpg

Pippa, I think you have a good heavy cavalry corps of war-elephant riders in your legion now!

Back
Top Bottom