Forest Crucifixion - Vivian's Crossroad

Go to CruxDreams.com
Yeas , you're right. I'm a Makar fan and also like real hanging , but it's a little hard to make a Cross that can carry weight. once we tried and beam almost fell. ropes can't carry it. In future I'll try to nail a plank on a tree;);) and maybe it will be better;)

You also can do like here ... with a tree ...and ropes ...;)

Attachments

• 698563200021.JPG
    698563200021.JPG
    612.4 KB · Views: 416
Yeas , you're right. I'm a Makar fan and also like real hanging , but it's a little hard to make a Cross that can carry weight. once we tried and beam almost fell. ropes can't carry it. In future I'll try to nail a plank on a tree;);) and maybe it will be better;) ....and what about surprise?? It's interesting;):)

My suggestion, spend the winter studying ropework and practicing the art indoors on a mock-up (Small-scale maybe) then get some good quality rope and go for it.
If you can cut a notch in the tree to take the cross-beam so much the better. Don't make the cross-beam too long, the human armspan is one fathom or 6 feet (1.83m) so 2 metre beam should be plenty.
"The Handbook of Knots" by Des Pawson published by DK, ISBN 1-4053-0467-7 at £10.99 in UK is very good and not expensive, see "Square Lashing" pp 96 - 97.
Also "The Complete Guide to knots and knot tying" by Geoffrey Budworth pub by Hermes House ISBN 1-84038-838-2, is thicker and even shows how to tie a Hangman's Noose. Perhaps best not to go there though, shame to loose your model. Stick to the Highwayman's Hitch for quick release in case of emergency.

P.S.I have never crucified anyone, but I have some experience in lashing structures securely.

My suggestion, spend the winter studying ropework and practicing the art indoors on a mock-up (Small-scale maybe) then get some good quality rope and go for it.
If you can cut a notch in the tree to take the cross-beam so much the better. Don't make the cross-beam too long, the human armspan is one fathom or 6 feet (1.83m) so 2 metre beam should be plenty.
"The Handbook of Knots" by Des Pawson published by DK, ISBN 1-4053-0467-7 at £10.99 in UK is very good and not expensive, see "Square Lashing" pp 96 - 97.
Also "The Complete Guide to knots and knot tying" by Geoffrey Budworth pub by Hermes House ISBN 1-84038-838-2, is thicker and even shows how to tie a Hangman's Noose. Perhaps best not to go there though, shame to loose your model. Stick to the Highwayman's Hitch for quick release in case of emergency.

P.S.I have never crucified anyone, but I have some experience in lashing structures securely.
Thank you very much for good and useful advices.

Here is a small scale attempt by me. The timber is 2 pieces of very slippery old varnished curtain rod.
But by cutting a small notch in the upright the lashing will bear my weight, even though it is only lashed with garden twine (from the runner beans).
The joint has a bit of give in it, but then what you would tie on your cross has a bit of give too.
P1017936.JPG P1017940.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a small scale attempt by me. The timber is 2 pieces of very slippery old varnished curtain rod.
But by cutting a small notch in the upright the lashing will bear my weight, even though it is only lashed with garden twine (from the runner beans).
The joint has a bit of give in it, but then what you would tie on your cross has a bit of give too.View attachment 539688 View attachment 539689
nice and interesting device, thanks!

If you can find a tree with suitable branches - low enough, sturdy, in the right position, etc - you can save time and effort by tying her directly to the tree in a crux posture. The Romans didn't always use crossbeam, but sometime just took advantage of what was available.
lobj.jpg

If you can find a tree with suitable branches - low enough, sturdy, in the right position, etc - you can save time and effort by tying her directly to the tree in a crux posture. The Romans didn't always use crossbeam, but sometime just took advantage of what was available.
View attachment 539809
Yeas, tree like this is a useful device, thanks for good advice. Amy Hesketh is amazing in this movie:)

It is said that in the great Jewish revolt in Galilee during the period 66 to 73 CE as many as 500 were crucified in a day maybe 5000 or more in all.
So many each day that wood suitable for the purpose became scarce. So I guess that the Romans had to use what ever means were available, whether a living tree or a purpose-built cross.
Might they also have run short of suitable nails, meaning some had to be tied?

Back
Top Bottom