Great Pics Found By Phlebas And Other

Go to CruxDreams.com
Pretty much everyone here will probably know František Drtikol for his crux photography from the early 20th century.
(If anyone doesn't, just google; also read the story of 'The Girl with no name' here on this site...)

However I have to admit I wasn't really aware of these of his works... so on the chance that others have missed them too...

View attachment 352234 View attachment 352235 View attachment 352236View attachment 352237
View attachment 352238 View attachment 352239 View attachment 352240
View attachment 352241 View attachment 352243 View attachment 352244
Those are beautiful. There are stories in those. :)

Anyway, I found this wonderful description of his approach on an art page...

He frequently contrasted the suppleness and flexibility of the female body against solid and unyielding geometric forms.
Despite those differences, he emphasized the strength to be found in both forms, human and geometric.
Drtikol showed a willingness to incorporate anything that might make his nude studies more powerful.

Of course here we can speak more openly about those 'powerful, solid, unyielding forms' :D
We do also wax eloquent on the contrasting suppleness, flexibility, and beauty of the female form, on occasion. ;):) Often, it is contrasted directly with the powerful, solid, and unyielding.:rolleyes::)

We do also wax eloquent on the contrasting suppleness, flexibility, and beauty of the female form, on occasion. ;):) Often, it is contrasted directly with the powerful, solid, and unyielding.:rolleyes::)

I hope your referring to the cross and mot yourself, Jolly :)

I decided to post this here rather than in one of the male crux threads, as I thought it would be of wider interest.
c1971 artist Mark Mulleian painted a large crucifixion in oils. The following pics show several interesting artist and model shots, as well as the finished work and some shots from the subsequent showing.
I've always ben fascinated by those few examples of crux models that we have, often quite old photos and often quite naked. Alas, mostly quite male!

http://webcastro.com/g-mark-mulleians-crucifixion-1970/

Crucifixion2-645x1024.jpg Detail-Crucifixion-1024x550.jpg Frank-Gallery-The-Public-2.jpg Frank-Gallery-The-Public-4-676x1024.jpg Frank-Gallery-The-Public-5.jpg Frank-Gallery-The-Public-6-670x1024.jpg Press-Photo-G.-Mark-Mulleian-and-Ron-Raz-692x1024.jpg Ron-Raz-Close-up-on-Cross-688x1024.jpg Ron-Raz-on-16-Feet-High-Cross-928x1024.jpg UPI-United-Press-International.jpg

I hope your referring to the cross and not yourself, Jolly :)
You see? This sort of sense of humour is one of the reasons I like you, Mr. Phlebas. :rolleyes::D

c1971 artist Mark Mulleian painted a large crucifixion in oils. The following pics show several interesting artist and model shots, as well as the finished work and some shots from the subsequent showing.
View attachment 354809 View attachment 354810 View attachment 354811 View attachment 354812 View attachment 354813 View attachment 354814 View attachment 354815 View attachment 354816 View attachment 354817 View attachment 354818

It may just be the perspective, but the figure in the painting seems to have arms that are too long. Might be a perspective thing, but it gives the painting a slightly alarming feel. Could be on purpose, I suppose.

You see? This sort of sense of humour is one of the reasons I like you, Mr. Phlebas. :rolleyes::D

It may just be the perspective, but the figure in the painting seems to have arms that are too long. Might be a perspective thing, but it gives the painting a slightly alarming feel. Could be on purpose, I suppose.
I see a number of crux pics with arms which are actually short, especially considering the stretch and extension incurred. Sometimes a low viewpoint accounts for this, placing the arms in the distance, but it is something I'm always conscious of in my own work (including my own low viewpoint pics). Perhaps somebody can post Leonardo da Vinci's Vitruvian Man (I can't put my fingers on it just now) which demonstrates that the human armspan fingertip to fingertip is equivalent to the person's full height. Mulleian appears to be a competent artist, presenting a well-built, broad-shouldered subject. The viewpoint is admittedly low if our eyes are at horizon level and the bent legs preclude an accurate assessment of full height, but in my view the arms are probably about right. Certainly an arresting picture and somewhat alarming (even to us hardened connoisseurs!) as you say.

When I took art class - yes, I did take art class - we were taught that the arms should be long enough that the finger tips are about mid-thigh when hanging at the side & that arm span should be about equal to the model's height. There are exceptions: Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps is 70 inches tall but has an 80 inch arm span, one of the reasons he is such a great swimmer.
If you look at the behind the scenes photos, the model's hips are slightly forward, probably because he's sitting on a perch. This creates a shortening of the torso & the impression of the arms being disproportionately long when seen from the front.

Maybe they should be "President for a Year", followed by ritual sacrifice, ideally on the cross.
That would sort out the ones who are seriously committed to public office :D

Now, normal service resumes for the weekend

woman-on-the-cross-i-ramon-martinez.jpg greek-crucifixion-scene-ii-ramon-martinez.jpg skyrim_princess_crucified_2_21___1_by_thephantom52-d8iwq56.jpg Crucified-Woman_shadowsinedendotblogspotdotcom.jpg a42.jpg Torture 173.jpg preparing_the_crucification_by_peterlime.jpg the_crucification_of_josey_may_by_peasant_millie_mouse.jpg demon_crucifed___demone_crocifisso_by_sakuretta94-d5y554t.jpg crossing_jennifer_s_path_by_bmovievillain-d76bqvp.jpg

Boudica, I presume? (Brexit AD 61?:devil:)

According to the artist:

http://ceeaybee.deviantart.com/art/The-Red-Sisters-of-Dhiogail-Collaboration-601124786

The Red Sisters of Dhiogail and the Rebellion of the Damnonii
by Augustine

While many are familiar with the Celtic queen Boudicca’s ill-fated revolt against her Roman oppressors, there is another, more twisted tale of revolution that happened a century later and far to the north of Britain. At the very extreme of Roman control, in what is today Scotland, one native tribe grew restless under the legions’ yoke. The Damnonii- partly Celtic, partly Pictish- were a small tribe but were feared by both the Romans and other Celts for their ferocity. Whispers told of dark and unspeakable rites carried on in the misty recesses of their wooded domain.

Like other Celts they worshipped a plethora of gods each having its own regional characteristics. The favorite of the Damnonii was their own version of Sulis, the three-formed goddess of sunlight, life-giving and, oddly enough, curses. It was Sulis’ latter form that the Damnonii revered. Here the goddess was called “da dhiogail,’ meaning both “to laugh” but also “to suck dry.” Laughter, especially the sort that was wrung from an unwilling and ticklish captive, the Damnonii druids taught, was the sweetest offering possible to their twisted version of the goddess as it combined both heart-pounding, muscle-straining, gasping life at its most exhilarating and even erotic with the curse of longing for a cessation, even death. Such sacrifices, the shamans assured the tribe would eventually bring sunlight and good weather for their vital crops. Unlike other tribes, however, their Druidic caste was made up entirely of women, the priestesses of Da Dhiogail, recognizable and ominous in their scarlet cloaks.

In 84 AD the Romans under their general Agricola pushed into the territory of Damnonii and established a colony at Lindum. Relations between the new settlers and the natives were strained but and uneasy peace was established between them for some thirty years…until sometime around 115AD Romans settlers began to vanish. Anthropologists suggest several years of poor harvests led to an increase in devotion to the Damnonii’s dark goddess and a resentment of the pushy newcomers. Whatever started it, most of the Romans who vanished were never heard from again…except for the few who were found wandering naked on the moors, their minds gone and their bodies quivering, unable to stand the slightest touch. Inevitably war broke out but the Celts melted away into their forests, moors and hills. Roman settlers began fleeing south, unable to tolerate the unseen terror all around them.

Six years later, unwilling to expend any more to conquer the wild northern lands, the Emperor Hadrian pulled all settler back and built his famous wall, marking the limit of the Empire and leaving the Damnonii to themselves. And here the story might have ended had not a new expansionist emperor, Antoninus Pius refused to accept the new limit. In 140 AD the Romans once again pushed north almost to the old settlement at Lindum. Here they built a new wall and took over a Damnonii village to the south of it, Colania, as their new northern capitol. This time there was no mingling only a tense stand-off. Gradually over the next twenty years the Romans expanded south of the wall and the Damnonii withdrew north of it, seething at their loss of land. Settlers began vanishing again.

It was at this point the Red Priestesses named their youngest Chief Priestess ever, a stunning auburn haired warrior named Coira, or “Seething Pool.” She announced that their goddess demanded the return of their lands and, more darkly, the sacrifice of the foreign intruders. So passionate was Coira in her messages that it seemed to the people she was more than a mere priestess, she was the very embodiment of “Da Dhiogail.” The scattered settlements of the Damnonii gathered, each led by their own contingent of red priestesses, known as the Sisters of Dhiogail. On the night of July 10, 163 AD they struck at all the Roman settlements simultaneously.

The few troops garrisoning the northern settlements were overwhelmed. All who resisted were annihilated and a fine haul of captives was taken. They were brought before Coira and her fellow red sisters and their horrible fate was pronounced:

“You have stolen our lands and murdered our people! Worse, you have offended the great goddess Sulis da Dhiogail! Therefore it is only fitting that you suffer for your crimes in a way that will bring a long-suppressed smile to the goddesses’ face!”

It is unlikely that Coira had ever heard of the failed slave revolt of Spartacus nearly two hundred years earlier or the grim fate of his followers, crucified along the Appian Way, but the fate of the captured Romans would have surely brought a sardonic smile to the Red Sisters’ grim goddess. A month later, when a Roman relief column marched up the Dere Road from Coria back at Hadrian’s Wall- far too late-they were horrified at the many crosses lining the road on either side. But the occupants of these crosses had not been nailed to their posts. No, they had been stripped naked and tightly tied there, regularly fed so they would last quite a while. Under the patrolling supervision of the Red Sisters, huge crowds of the Damnonii people moved along the road in joyful celebration, mercilessly tickling the captives for weeks as they offered up their tormented laughter as a sacrifice to Da Dhiogail.

By the time the soldiers arrived the crowds were gone. A few survivors were taken down from the crosses, their minds broken and their bodies permanently trembling. Yet quite a few of the crosses were empty and there were not nearly enough of them to account for all the citizen who had been in Colania. The natives had once again melted into the surrounding wilderness and every settlement, including the town of Colania was empty and deserted. Cavalry scouts sent out to scour the country side found nothing but reported hearing the earie sounds of screaming and tormented laughter echoing in the deep woods and rugged valleys. They found no one. Worse, a number of the scouting parties failed to come back all together. Fearfully the legate in charge turned his cohort around and marched back to the wall. Never again would the Romans push this far north and the settlements, along with the Antonine Wall succumbed to the harsh environment and the Damnonni themselves vanished into the mists of time.

Yet as long as the legions remained in Britain, nervous sentries atop Hadrian’s Wall would tell stories of the fate of Colania and of the Red Sisters and of the unimaginable horrors that waited on the far side of the Wall. Every once in a while some brave traveler, explorer or even settler would venture past the barrier only to be swallowed up and lost forever. And every once in a while, faint, tormented and hysterical laughter could be heard off in the distance keeping alive the terrifying legend of the Damnonii and the Red sisters of Dhiogail.

The End.

Back
Top Bottom