Ideas?

Go to CruxDreams.com
William: I find this a bit of an odd request. Why would anyone give away their story ideas rather than writing it themselves? I certainly wouldn't.

I must add that I never see you on any of the other story threads here besides your own. I have checked your posting history and verified that you haven't posted on other story thread. So, my suggestion is, go and read and participate in at least a few of other writer's stories and you might find things you can steal borrow and put your own spin on.

I think you have misunderstood.

I am not looking to steal anyone's ideas I am just looking for a direction.
Plus, I suspect there are people that like reading stories but possibly don't like
or want to write their own. However, if people want to think like this then so be it.
I am not out to steal other peoples stories.

I have not misunderstood in the least. Writers should write from the heart about things that interest and intrigue them. If nothing does so at the present time, then sit back and wait until something does.

But I am curious why you do not read any of the other writers here? No one says you must read every story on the site (I don't), but are there none besides your own that appeal?

Sorry but my mind has gone blank!

Well you really need to go with what floats your boat and reading around or watching TV is often a great source of ideas as you mix and match notions inspired by what you have seen.

Of course there are some old classic genres here.

Romans are popular with their fratricidal politics and harsh penalties for everything under the sun. So for example the family scheme/feud gone wrong. Getting on the wrong side of the Emperor (in the Principate and Dominate) or some other magistrate (the classical Republic was pretty vicious at times). Barbarians...even the vile horde or the invaded tribe can be another theme, also popular is the doomed rebellion.

Modern stories might feature dystopic regimes or criminal organisations or weird cults.

Of course a question is always how far you want to go? A surprisingly infrequent theme here is the simple session where everyone has fun and goes home at the end of the day. The constant pursuit of extremes is not actually required.

However at the end of the day you really need to find something that grabs you as a writer else the story will wither and die despite all you can do.

Well you really need to go with what floats your boat and reading around or watching TV is often a great source of ideas as you mix and match notions inspired by what you have seen.

Of course there are some old classic genres here.

Romans are popular with their fratricidal politics and harsh penalties for everything under the sun. So for example the family scheme/feud gone wrong. Getting on the wrong side of the Emperor (in the Principate and Dominate) or some other magistrate (the classical Republic was pretty vicious at times). Barbarians...even the vile horde or the invaded tribe can be another theme, also popular is the doomed rebellion.

Modern stories might feature dystopic regimes or criminal organisations or weird cults.

Of course a question is always how far you want to go? A surprisingly infrequent theme here is the simple session where everyone has fun and goes home at the end of the day. The constant pursuit of extremes is not actually required.

However at the end of the day you really need to find something that grabs you as a writer else the story will wither and die despite all you can do.

Well said, RR! :)

Oh boy, next time I will keep my mouth shut!

I think I will give writing stories a miss for a while until things calm down.
Bye for now.

Please don't overreact. Your stories are good and well received. And your original question here was a fair one that causes us all to think about how we come up with story ideas. It would be nice to hear more here about that process.

I agree with Barb - if I have ideas, I'm happy to share them, I don't think I'm always the best person to turn my ideas into stories.
But it isn't easy to just pull ideas out of the air - at least, I don't find they come. Pictures I see on the Forums, things I read in the news or in books, can set my mind wandering and sometimes a story takes shape. Just browse a bit, see what triggers an idea or some... :)

When I began writing here I had a wealth of fantasies stored up that could be converted into stories. But, like William, I think that source eventually dried up. Since then my ideas have come largely from books, movies and news items that I have seen and found my warped mind working a story around. Also ideas have come from my colleagues here on CF ... things they have written have set me off in new directions or helped me to embellish projects of my own. This is a vibrant community of writers and artists ... let's all keep it going!

Last edited:

Could you kind people give me some ideas on subject matter.
The best ones I will convert into a story, if I can.
If you can all get your thinking caps on that would be great!

Many thanks

William23
I can follow Eul's idea! Browse through the picture threads! Have yourself inspired by pics you find exciting! Imagine a story behind it and start building it up.
Another source of stories is traveling. The history and the scenery of a place you have never been before, can be very useful to seed inspiration. Or just walk around. A site, a remarkable situation, and hop, off is your imagination!

Just off the top of my head ...
How about a twist on Cinderella?
The evil step sisters ... ??????
The Prince .... could be some shades of gray there?

..................................................... Think about it! :)

Sorry people.
William,I love your work,I think it is some of the best writing on this forum, I don’t understand the hostility in the least.Your male crux stories are the best I have read here in a while. Your grasp of the true cruelty of Roman cricifixion is amazing,I took no offense to your question, having a writer of your talent willing to write stories to others likings is a very interesting and to me a great opportunity.
I have some ideas for you that I will send you very soon through this thread,I am tied up as we speak as I am working at the moment and am running out of time. Please don’t give up writing or letting people discourage you, you have a great talent. be back soon, keep the faith, we will talk soon. Leave me a message through this forum and we will talk some more.-Gunslinger

William,I love your work,I think it is some of the best writing on this forum, I don’t understand the hostility in the least.Your male crux stories are the best I have read here in a while. Your grasp of the true cruelty of Roman cricifixion is amazing,I took no offense to your question, having a writer of your talent willing to write stories to others likings is a very interesting and to me a great opportunity.
I have some ideas for you that I will send you very soon through this thread,I am tied up as we speak as I am working at the moment and am running out of time. Please don’t give up writing or letting people discourage you, you have a great talent. be back soon, keep the faith, we will talk soon. Leave me a message through this forum and we will talk some more.-Gunslinger
Thats the ghost of CF!

Could you kind people give me some ideas on subject matter.
The best ones I will convert into a story, if I can.
If you can all get your thinking caps on that would be great!

Many thanks

William23
Outside Rome what are your favorite time periods of history?

Outside Rome what are your favorite time periods of history?
Rome and historical Roman crucifixion,male in particular is my thing but the medieval period witch hunts are another favorite of mine and also the era of the Sun King in France,witches and poisoners tortured for their crimes and all. I remember your work from a few years ago and am a great fan of your male crux work.
Earnest Hemingway whom I consider to be one of the best writers this world has ever known used to have what he called his “Black Moods” where he lost all ideas for stories to write and it led to some wild times and heavy drinking on his part but he struggled all of his live as a writer with those times but he also said that when one of these dry spells were over he wrote some if is best work you are not alone in that my friend.-Gunslinger

Back
Top Bottom