If Anyone Is Good With Window 7

Go to CruxDreams.com
Interesting take on Windows 8. I'm in the process of selecting the components for my next PC build and thinking about which OS to use. Although I lean towards the newest one, i.e. Windows 8, looks like not all of the high-end components I want to use are certified to be compatible beyond Windows 7. I might go with Windows 7 initially and wait and see about Windows 8, plus give them time to roll out the first service pack.

I used Word Perfect back in the 80s and early 90s, then our company standardized on MS Office and I have used Word since then. Yes, there are a lot of features in it that most people will never use, but I think I do use far more than most. I use styles, automatic tables of contents, tables of references, inline citations, etc., plus I use formulas in field codes to grab chapter titles into page headers and such. I even know how to format Arabic documents using the features I just mentioned. Sometimes it's not enough just to be able to write something on the computer, you also need it to look like a professional document, and that's where programs like Word exceed the capabilities of lower-end word processing programs.

Jedakk

Windows story - I called my PC guy today 'cos I was getting warnings of a problem on drive D - he put that right, then found that a crucial Windows update back in 2009 had failed to upload, and consequently no Windows update since then has got through to my machine. So I spent the rest of today uploading 68 (68! :eek:) updates! :rolleyes:

Windows story - I called my PC guy today 'cos I was getting warnings of a problem on drive D - he put that right, then found that a crucial Windows update back in 2009 had failed to upload, and consequently no Windows update since then has got through to my machine. So I spent the rest of today uploading 68 (68! :eek:) updates! :rolleyes:
also, you had time for other things

Use Linux: now is ready the new release: Ubuntu 13.4, it's free and any 6 months there is a new release. The compatibility with MS Office is granted by Libre Office as standard in the downloading file. You can tray Ubuntu without installing it. Masterize a CD or DVD with the .iso image of the operating system and put it into the CD reader, Linux start in a few minutes...
www.ubuntu.com

I never update windoze - it only ever breaks things. Most updates are just security fixes for internet explorer anyway, which I've never used, and if a really critical one comes along I like to be able to update it manually as and when required, rather than letting Windows Update install all kinds of crapware.

WINDOWS = Will Install Needless Data Over Whole System
:)

[quote="Darkprincess69, post: 67214, member: 13401
WINDOWS = Will Install Needless Data Over Whole System
:)[/quote]
Uncle Bill will be happy with you:D

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated,
'If Ford had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.'

In response to Bill Gates's comments, Ford issued a press release, stating:
'If Ford had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part):

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash......... twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single 'This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation' warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask 'Are you sure?' before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as in the old car.

10. You'd have to press the 'Start' button to turn the engine off.

PS - I 'd like to add that when all else fails, you could call 'customer service' in some foreign country and be instructed in some foreign language how to fix your car yourself!!!!

That's the right approach, but looks more like our beloved Messaline!​
I can't put my punishment points on her licence, can I? ;)

sorry by me yes y're not blond

The Official Windows Keyboard;
Windows Keyboard.jpg
You can if you're a Lib-Dem :)

Girls and Boys, use Linux! Ubuntu is free, no driver needed, no antivirus, no firewall, all software needed is installed at first, and if not you have a great free library 'Ubuntu software center' automatically download and install all you need (as flash player and VLC, and for picture manipulation Gimp). All documents of MS Office are opened and modified by Libre Office. Mozilla Firefox is the standard browser and included in the .iso image of the Operating system. The .exe files are opened and running as in Windows using WINE (wine is not an emulator) but a core software running windows programs. Download Ubuntu from www.ubuntu.com and use a CD image and tray it without installing.

Lucid Puppy Linux is great for newcomers too - hardened Linux gurus will turn their noses up at it for a variety of reasons but it does have the advantage of being incredibly fast if you have at least 256Mb RAM or more, is Ubuntu-based so it's compatible with most of the new stuff and it's dead easy to set up and use, especially if you're coming from a Windows background.

Linux pros don't like it because it's not quite as secure as "proper" Linux, but it's still a thousand times more secure than windows (which basically isn't) and easy to use.

It also has the killer feature that you can run it off a CD, and you only need to save your system settings to the hard drive, meaning that in effect, every time you boot it up, you have a fresh installation, making it incredibly difficult (though technically not impossible) to get malware problems of the kind you see in Windows.

Not the all-time best Linux solution (That's Ubuntu, as ascanio says), but for newbies it's a really nice introduction to Linux and you can configure it to work just like Windows (double-click to open stuff rather than the single-click more usual in Linux, auto-mounting of drives without messing with the fstab file (a major headache for many Linux newbies) and a friendly interface.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview and Getting Started.htm

I like Lucid Puppy 5.28 - there is a later version but it has a new GUI that everybody else says is wonderful but that I don't like as much as the older one.

sounds like back to the sixties:D but I'm agree with you Princess. But I'm a (windows) instructor for seniors and needed windows for that.

Is Linux one of the "Peanuts" characters???

Tree

Calm down RacingRodent, I was talking about a comic strip....

Back
Top Bottom