Imprisonment and Execution in Modern Singapore Part III of Barb's Singapore Saga

Go to CruxDreams.com
Then, to her horror, Imran ordered her into the hellish stress position that she suffered through before. Fingers spread on extended arms against the wall, legs back, and spread with a cane under her soles to force her on the balls of her feet. Imran tapped her breasts with his truncheon as a reminder of the consequences of moving.
They drew the cruel hood over her head. Barbara softly pleaded for release.

I need to catch up with this story. How long has Barb held the stress position before?

Empat Puluh Lapan

Appeal Court Hearing, Singapore Supreme Court Building, Tuesday 1:55 PM

The hearing was much more private than had been Barbara’s trial. Five justices of the Singapore Supreme Court sat on a raised dais at the Appeal Court with six clerk-recorders sitting below. Leng and Koh appeared for the State, Hodges, alone, appeared for the Defense – the defendant was not admitted. No witnesses were expected. The only other persons present in the tiny area behind the bar was Rut Betar-Gisber and Peter Gamble, justices from Barb’s trial. The other judge from the trial, Wong Foo Lin, on the dais, having been assigned to the panel.

Leng approached Jeffrey with his hand extended. “We are all so upset over the terrible crime yesterday. How is your assistant doing?”
“No life-threatening injuries. Amanda is healing well, but there will be horrible emotional scars!”
“Please give her our best wishes. She is constantly on our minds. I assure you that the police are pursuing the matter with the utmost vigor.”
“Thank you,” mumbled Jeffrey. For some reason, Lee’s concern seemed out of place.

“Oyez, Oyez. The appeal of the defendant, Barbara Ann Moore, shall be heard before this Appeal Court of the Supreme Court of Singapore.
After confirming that counsels were present, the head judge spoke:
“We have reviewed the trial transcript from March 25th, 2019, and the audio recording of that proceeding supplied to us, most carefully, as we always do in a capital case,” said the judge. Our impression gained form those is that the experienced and respected trial judges handled the case with admirable skill and fairness. The multiple, disrespectful outbursts by the defendant were managed correctly. We are agreed that we would have shown her less patience than did those fine justices.” Jeffrey was relieved that Barbara wasn’t there to object.
“We have also read the summary motion for reversal submitted on behalf of Miss Barbara Moore by Jeffrey Hodges last week. Unfortunately, Mr. Hodges failed to submit a supplementary brief by the deadline of noon yesterday.”

Here Jeffrey rose to object. “Excuse me, your honor. May I address that?”
“Yes, but be brief.” A woman justice to his right giggled at head justice’s pun on brief.
Jeffrey's mouth hung open for a moment at the blatant disrespect. But he had to press on.
“The defendant’s supplementary brief was finished and sent to the court well before the deadline. However, as you may know, my young intern was stopped by Central Narcotics Bureau agents just yards from this court. She was then illegally assaulted and raped, preventing her from delivering the brief. I believe the court should consider these facts and accept the brief that I have here. I would be glad to present it tomorrow...”
“Mr. Hodges. The Appeal Court NEVER delays its hearings.”
“But, your honor, it was not the fault of the defendant that…”
“Fault is not the issue, Mr. Hodges. This court establishes clear deadlines, and it is counsel’s responsibility to meet them.”
“Perhaps,” added the woman justice who had laughed before. “If you had taken it yourself instead of sending a young, female intern who could easily get distracted and, who, it seems, dressed in a very provocative way like some streetwalker, the brief would have been here on time.”
Jeffrey choked back his anger at a woman in authority, talking dismissively about another female. “My intern was minding her own business and was illegibly detained and then criminally raped!” his voice rising.
“Please, Mr. Hodges,” said the head judge. “We can hear you without you shouting. The facts in the case, as I understand, are still under investigation. We cannot say for sure that any crime was committed until charges are filed and according to our legal principles not until a conviction is obtained.”
Another justice spoke up. “And there is some indication, I believe, that your intern was carrying drugs?”
“That is a total untruth!”
“Did she not openly flirt with one of the agents at a party last Friday?” the justice continued. “I was told by a very reliable person who was present, that the two were stopped by you just short of engaging in coitus.”
“Your honor, I must protest. I demand you take note that those who stopped her from delivering the brief were agents of this government, including one who had testified against Miss Moore at her trial. For official members of the government to have interfered here…”
“MR. HODGES!” the head judge cut him off firmly. “You are perilously close to slandering the Republic of Singapore. I strongly suggest you back off.”
“Sorry, your honor.” Replied Jeffrey through gritted teeth.
“You do NOT demand anything from this court. We have discussed most of these issues concerning the missing brief before this hearing. Have any of my fellow justices changed their opinion,” he looked around, and the others just nodded no. “Mr. Hodges, it is the ruling of this court that you failed to meet the deadline for briefs, and under the established rules, no further written material may be submitted. Please sit down and think of what you will say during oral arguments.”
Defeated, knowing the appeal was almost surely lost, Jeffrey sat wearily in his chair.

“Continuing. Mr. Hodges failed to submit a supplementary brief by the deadline of noon yesterday, however, and the response of the Republic was timely submitted by Lee Cher Leng.”
“The motion for reversal cited 15 judgments made by the trial judges that the Defendant charges are incorrect and biased against her. We, again, carefully reviewed each of these judgments. As the highest appeal court in the Republic, we bear a responsibility as the ultimate resource of a convicted person, and we examine each issue concerning the law and principles of equity. However, we also recognize that the law must be administered by judges who are human beings who will invariably commit error, often innocently. We hesitate to overturn another otherwise just verdict due to minor issues with rulings during the case.”
Jeffrey did not like what he was hearing.

Central Narcotics Bureau, Tuesday, 2:12 PM

Frost and bin Ibrahim had been digging through the desks and files of Rogers and Jiang for several hours. Both had a desire to make sure that nothing was missed that might shed light on their case. Every paper, every item was scrutinized at least one by each detective. They had sent out for lunch and worked straight through. Now they were coming to an end. A dozen files had been set aside for a second review back at Guards headquarters. Frost turned to bin Ibrahim. “That about wraps it up, I think.”
“I’m done,” replied the younger detective.
“Take a chair,” said Frost standing and staring out the window. “What are your impressions. Start with Jiang.”
“Zhihoa Jiang, 26, been with CNB for five months, mostly undergoing training. Previously, three years in the Army, the last eleven months in Special Forces. That record is sanitized. I suspect he wasn’t well thought of in SF. I still have some friends there. I’ll be able to tell you the whole story tomorrow.”
“Excellent!” said Frost.
“Partnered with Rogers, a week ago today, the same day Rogers was made Lieutenant, coincidence?” asked Musa.
"And the day after Rogers testified against Barbara Moore.”
“Yes. That testimony did not appear to do Rogers any harm. But back to Jiang. There just isn’t much. It seems he thought Rogers was special and was thrilled to be assigned to him. Maybe he liked fat!”
“Takes all kinds. Now let's talk about Lieutenant James Rogers.”

Appeal Court Hearing, Singapore Supreme Court Building, Tuesday 2:30 PM

“We have made a careful review of the 15 objections registered by the Defense. We judge that numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10,11, and 14 are trivial matters not of any weighty influence on the final verdict or sentence and also appear to have been decided correctly. Therefore, any further arguments that the Defense might have made in a supplemental brief or oral argument would not affect our judgment. It is the unanimous decision of this court to dismiss those objections.”

Jeffrey was disappointed to lose all of those points so quickly. However, he had known all along that they were mostly long-shots and had been included for completeness. Also, he hoped that the judges would want to give him the benefit of the doubt on the others after rejecting so many. The remaining five were his core objections.

“Objections 5, 6, 12, 13, and 14 do raise important questions. However, on their face, objections 5 and 14 are matters that we have, consistently and firmly, left to the discretion of the trial court. We see no reason now to depart from that wise policy. Therefore, we also unanimously dismiss those two.”

Here Jeffrey was disappointed. He had assembled what he believed were strong arguments for those two in his brief, which the judges refused to read. And, though the matters were usually left to the trial court, the actions on this occasion were wildly prejudicial to his client. At least his strongest three remained. And he had solid precedents to cite for each. Precedents that were unearthed by Amanda. But now were buried in his brief.

Another interesting and well written chapter.PrPr.
What Frost and Musa didn`t find may be significant,if my memory serves correctly,Rogers claimed Rose was his informant.
In any well run Law Enforcement Agency a record of all informants and any payments made to them must be kept. One thing leads to another!

Empat Puluh Lapan

Appeal Court Hearing, Singapore Supreme Court Building, Tuesday 1:55 PM

The hearing was much more private than had been Barbara’s trial. Five justices of the Singapore Supreme Court sat on a raised dais at the Appeal Court with six clerk-recorders sitting below. Leng and Koh appeared for the State, Hodges, alone, appeared for the Defense – the defendant was not admitted. No witnesses were expected. The only other persons present in the tiny area behind the bar was Rut Betar-Gisber and Peter Gamble, justices from Barb’s trial. The other judge from the trial, Wong Foo Lin, on the dais, having been assigned to the panel.

Leng approached Jeffrey with his hand extended. “We are all so upset over the terrible crime yesterday. How is your assistant doing?”
“No life-threatening injuries. Amanda is healing well, but there will be horrible emotional scars!”
“Please give her our best wishes. She is constantly on our minds. I assure you that the police are pursuing the matter with the utmost vigor.”
“Thank you,” mumbled Jeffrey. For some reason, Lee’s concern seemed out of place.

“Oyez, Oyez. The appeal of the defendant, Barbara Ann Moore, shall be heard before this Appeal Court of the Supreme Court of Singapore.
After confirming that counsels were present, the head judge spoke:
“We have reviewed the trial transcript from March 25th, 2019, and the audio recording of that proceeding supplied to us, most carefully, as we always do in a capital case,” said the judge. Our impression gained form those is that the experienced and respected trial judges handled the case with admirable skill and fairness. The multiple, disrespectful outbursts by the defendant were managed correctly. We are agreed that we would have shown her less patience than did those fine justices.” Jeffrey was relieved that Barbara wasn’t there to object.
“We have also read the summary motion for reversal submitted on behalf of Miss Barbara Moore by Jeffrey Hodges last week. Unfortunately, Mr. Hodges failed to submit a supplementary brief by the deadline of noon yesterday.”

Here Jeffrey rose to object. “Excuse me, your honor. May I address that?”
“Yes, but be brief.” A woman justice to his right giggled at head justice’s pun on brief.
Jeffrey's mouth hung open for a moment at the blatant disrespect. But he had to press on.
“The defendant’s supplementary brief was finished and sent to the court well before the deadline. However, as you may know, my young intern was stopped by Central Narcotics Bureau agents just yards from this court. She was then illegally assaulted and raped, preventing her from delivering the brief. I believe the court should consider these facts and accept the brief that I have here. I would be glad to present it tomorrow...”
“Mr. Hodges. The Appeal Court NEVER delays its hearings.”
“But, your honor, it was not the fault of the defendant that…”
“Fault is not the issue, Mr. Hodges. This court establishes clear deadlines, and it is counsel’s responsibility to meet them.”
“Perhaps,” added the woman justice who had laughed before. “If you had taken it yourself instead of sending a young, female intern who could easily get distracted and, who, it seems, dressed in a very provocative way like some streetwalker, the brief would have been here on time.”
Jeffrey choked back his anger at a woman in authority, talking dismissively about another female. “My intern was minding her own business and was illegibly detained and then criminally raped!” his voice rising.
“Please, Mr. Hodges,” said the head judge. “We can hear you without you shouting. The facts in the case, as I understand, are still under investigation. We cannot say for sure that any crime was committed until charges are filed and according to our legal principles not until a conviction is obtained.”
Another justice spoke up. “And there is some indication, I believe, that your intern was carrying drugs?”
“That is a total untruth!”
“Did she not openly flirt with one of the agents at a party last Friday?” the justice continued. “I was told by a very reliable person who was present, that the two were stopped by you just short of engaging in coitus.”
“Your honor, I must protest. I demand you take note that those who stopped her from delivering the brief were agents of this government, including one who had testified against Miss Moore at her trial. For official members of the government to have interfered here…”
“MR. HODGES!” the head judge cut him off firmly. “You are perilously close to slandering the Republic of Singapore. I strongly suggest you back off.”
“Sorry, your honor.” Replied Jeffrey through gritted teeth.
“You do NOT demand anything from this court. We have discussed most of these issues concerning the missing brief before this hearing. Have any of my fellow justices changed their opinion,” he looked around, and the others just nodded no. “Mr. Hodges, it is the ruling of this court that you failed to meet the deadline for briefs, and under the established rules, no further written material may be submitted. Please sit down and think of what you will say during oral arguments.”
Defeated, knowing the appeal was almost surely lost, Jeffrey sat wearily in his chair.

“Continuing. Mr. Hodges failed to submit a supplementary brief by the deadline of noon yesterday, however, and the response of the Republic was timely submitted by Lee Cher Leng.”
“The motion for reversal cited 15 judgments made by the trial judges that the Defendant charges are incorrect and biased against her. We, again, carefully reviewed each of these judgments. As the highest appeal court in the Republic, we bear a responsibility as the ultimate resource of a convicted person, and we examine each issue concerning the law and principles of equity. However, we also recognize that the law must be administered by judges who are human beings who will invariably commit error, often innocently. We hesitate to overturn another otherwise just verdict due to minor issues with rulings during the case.”
Jeffrey did not like what he was hearing.

Central Narcotics Bureau, Tuesday, 2:12 PM

Frost and bin Ibrahim had been digging through the desks and files of Rogers and Jiang for several hours. Both had a desire to make sure that nothing was missed that might shed light on their case. Every paper, every item was scrutinized at least one by each detective. They had sent out for lunch and worked straight through. Now they were coming to an end. A dozen files had been set aside for a second review back at Guards headquarters. Frost turned to bin Ibrahim. “That about wraps it up, I think.”
“I’m done,” replied the younger detective.
“Take a chair,” said Frost standing and staring out the window. “What are your impressions. Start with Jiang.”
“Zhihoa Jiang, 26, been with CNB for five months, mostly undergoing training. Previously, three years in the Army, the last eleven months in Special Forces. That record is sanitized. I suspect he wasn’t well thought of in SF. I still have some friends there. I’ll be able to tell you the whole story tomorrow.”
“Excellent!” said Frost.
“Partnered with Rogers, a week ago today, the same day Rogers was made Lieutenant, coincidence?” asked Musa.
"And the day after Rogers testified against Barbara Moore.”
“Yes. That testimony did not appear to do Rogers any harm. But back to Jiang. There just isn’t much. It seems he thought Rogers was special and was thrilled to be assigned to him. Maybe he liked fat!”
“Takes all kinds. Now let's talk about Lieutenant James Rogers.”

Appeal Court Hearing, Singapore Supreme Court Building, Tuesday 2:30 PM

“We have made a careful review of the 15 objections registered by the Defense. We judge that numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10,11, and 14 are trivial matters not of any weighty influence on the final verdict or sentence and also appear to have been decided correctly. Therefore, any further arguments that the Defense might have made in a supplemental brief or oral argument would not affect our judgment. It is the unanimous decision of this court to dismiss those objections.”

Jeffrey was disappointed to lose all of those points so quickly. However, he had known all along that they were mostly long-shots and had been included for completeness. Also, he hoped that the judges would want to give him the benefit of the doubt on the others after rejecting so many. The remaining five were his core objections.

“Objections 5, 6, 12, 13, and 14 do raise important questions. However, on their face, objections 5 and 14 are matters that we have, consistently and firmly, left to the discretion of the trial court. We see no reason now to depart from that wise policy. Therefore, we also unanimously dismiss those two.”

Here Jeffrey was disappointed. He had assembled what he believed were strong arguments for those two in his brief, which the judges refused to read. And, though the matters were usually left to the trial court, the actions on this occasion were wildly prejudicial to his client. At least his strongest three remained. And he had solid precedents to cite for each. Precedents that were unearthed by Amanda. But now were buried in his brief.
Splendid piece - I'm not sure this is heading in a positive direction for either girl ... Barb or Amanda!

Arguing the lost cause before "Blind Justice" Sorry for the extended legal mumbo-jumbo.

Empat Puluh Sembilan

Appeal Court Hearing, Singapore Supreme Court Building, Tuesday 2:40 PM
“Therefore. We are left with objections numbers 6, 12, and 13. Mr. Deputy Attorney General, your brief, submitted on time,” here the justice gave Jeffrey a scathing look, “makes effective arguments on these issues. You are granted ten minutes to present any oral argument on your side.”

Lee Leng rose. “Thank you, your honors. I hope not to take that much of your valuable time with this simple case. If you examine the three remaining objections, all stem from the prosecution calling, late in the trial, and without prior warning to the Defense, the testimony of an agent from the Central Narcotics Bureau. The prosecution stipulates that those facts are true. Defense argues that their right to prepare and cross-examine was denied and that invalidates Miss Moore's sentence. With that argument, the Republic strongly disagrees.”
“It is Black Letter Law* in Singapore under the 1973 Misuse of Drugs Act (MDA)15, that testimony from CNB agents that involve an ongoing drug investigation may be heard without notice to preserve the integrity of the investigation. We intended, if possible, and so stated in court, not to call the agent if at all possible for that very reason. We had no desire to prejudice the court against the defendant based on partial, though reliable, evidence. However, the reckless motion of the Defense for dismissal for lack of specific motive, compelled us to present the evidence.”
“Despite the impassioned words of outrage by Defense Counsel, the basic law of the Republic allows the presentation of such testimony without prior notice. That testimony proved the guilt of Barbara Moore for the crime of murder as well as the uncharged crime of drug dealing in custody, which also carries the death penalty. Thank you.” Lee sat, looking very satisfied.

“Mr. Hodges. You are granted ten minutes to present any oral argument on your side.”

Jeffrey rose, holding a copy of the now useless brief. So much work had been poured into it (much by poor Amanda!). The court had left him little room to argue here.
“Your honors. The question here stems from Equity*. Can my client be convicted and sentenced to death by a surprise witness? I believe that there are serious reasons to question the veracity of that witness. The courts should note that he was one of the two CNB officers who assaulted and raped my intern, who was on the way to deliver the brief. His unlawful action…”
“Mr. Hodges,” the chief judge interrupted. We do sympathize that you’ve lost the services of your intern. Though. I point out that she is quite young and inexperienced and, therefore, of dubious value to a case argued at the exalted level of the Appeal Court of the Singapore Supreme Court (at this the lone female judge chuckled and nodded her head)). I was patient at the beginning of this statement. But you are now making statements unsupported by facts. To wit: we do not know that the detaining of Miss Jones was indeed illegal. We understand there is a documented video showing her with drugs. It is the sworn duty of our CNB to hold such a person. This Court strongly endorses the efforts of our CNB agents to remove such soulless scum from our streets. The charge of assault and rape is being investigated now, and no charges have been brought. You are ordered to cease that line of argument.”
“Most importantly,” the judge continued, “none of this requires questioning the sworn testimony of an officer of the CNB. The Appeal Court does not, as a rule, delve into the details of evidence at the original trial. We count on the experience and integrity of our judges – in this case, of the highest repute – to sift the truth from witness testimony. It appears that the only issue before this Court now is whether the testimony of Sergeant James Rogers should have been permitted at trial, not its veracity. Do you have any argument or citation concerning that?”

“Yes, your honor,” said Jeffrey, quickly leafing through the brief to find Amanda’s citations. “The Defense argues that this issue is not Black Letter Law, that there have been divergent opinions registered in the courts of the Republic.” He read the four case citations that Amanda had unearthed.

“Well, now that may have some substance,” said the judge, clearly taken aback. He turned to the other justices, and they held a hurried, whispered discussion. The female judge vigorously shook her head no, but the others seemed to override her. The head judge turned back to Jeffrey.
“Congratulations, Mr. Hodges. You seem to have found some obscure, but possibly relevant cases with which we are not familiar. Well done. Do you have a written version of those citations?”
“Yes,” said Jeffrey, without hiding a little exhalation in his voice, “Here in my brief.” He held the folder forward, and a clerk came to get it.
The judge flipped quickly through the brief. “Yes. Well, these matters require a little more consideration. We are adjourned until two PM tomorrow.” He brought down his gavel before Leng could object. Jeffrey sat down drained.

Lee Leng came over and extended his hand. “Congratulations, Hodges. You certainly blindsided me with those last case citations. My respect for you as a legal researcher just took a major leap.”
“What? I, yeah, thank you,” Jeffrey said, exhausted, struggling to stand and take the prosecutor’s hand. “It really wasn’t much. I’d didn’t myself…” Just then, he remembered the visitor hour at the hospital ended at four. "I'm sorry I must be going." He grabbed his papers and rushed from the courtroom.
Bending over to pick up several papers that Jeffrey had dropped in his haste, Leng turned to Koh. “It’s a miracle that man finds his way to court. But his research was superb!”

Commandant’s Office, Changi Prison, Tuesday 2:55 PM

In midafternoon, a set of guards had come and led Barb on her leash, with the hood, on all fours, to the Commandant’s Office. Though this method was becoming routine, being treated, literally, like a dog, sapped a bit of her soul each time. When they got to the office, they removed the hood and had her sit upright on her haunches to face Mamat.

Central Narcotics Bureau, Tuesday, 3:00 PM

Frost said, “Now let’s talk about Lieutenant James Rogers.”

“There’s a real mystery.”

“How so?”

“Forty-eight years old, single. He came to the bureau eight years ago at age 40, a bit long in the tooth for a CNB recruit. Before that, fifteen years with the auxiliary police in Wang Jay district, not a formidable force or record.”

“We can’t all be stars, can we?” mumbled Frost.

“Perhaps. But, it is surprising that the CNB took him. They usually have high standards for background and condition. The file claims he was much lighter back then but still not in great shape. He received a caution concerning physical health after less than six months on the job. Anyway, he was hired as a Corporal based on fifteen years as a cop, which was an unexpectedly low rank. In the years since only the one promotion to Sergeant. That is a remarkably slow rise in the CNB. Many would have made Captain after eight years.”
“Someone even approaching Rogers’ advanced state of obesity should have been let go years ago. There is a directive in his file from one month ago to consider dismissing him for inability to perform.”

“Instead, he gets promoted to Lieutenant.”

“Yes.”

“Any explanation in the files?”

“No. That is somewhat strange. There are only routine reports and evaluations, uniformly average or poor. Yet Jimmy lingers on and becomes a Lieutenant a week ago today. Reading between the lines, I would conclude that Jimmy was an operator. He knew what to do to please his superiors and keep from being fired. I would guess drugs went missing when they desired it or found when that was desired. He probably skimmed drug money from suspects and shared with his bosses. But he kept everything out of the files. That is, unfortunately, common in drug units.”

“In other words,” said Frost, “A dirty cop.”

“Very dirty. But good at it and shielded by the others, like that Sergeant Hoa. I’ll bet he knows more. But good luck getting it out of him. We don’t have just cause to interrogate him.”

“Absolutely no indication of why Jimmy was promoted last week?”

“Only the boilerplate recommendation of “dedicated service, outstanding loyalty, etc.” It all can be justified by longevity. Signed off routinely by his superiors. No fingerprints anywhere.”

“Not even long red fingernails of a particular Minister of Home Affairs?” said Frost.

“No, none of those either,” laughed Musa.

“How about the assignment of the two to Parliament Square yesterday? How did that coincidence occur? Was that a regular schedule?”

“No, there isn’t any formal schedule. It is a random thing to occasionally patrol the Square to make sure drug dealing doesn’t get started in a tourist area. It’s decided a day or two in advance by the Lieutenant in charge of that area.”

“And who might be the darling Lieutenant for that area?” asked Frost.

“Until yesterday at noon, it was Jimmy Rogers.”

“So he chose to assign himself there?”

“Yes. But nothing unusual, no hard evidence of any ulterior motive.”

“The darling and his moronic sidekick just happen to be in the Square, by Rogers’s choice, the morning Barbara Moore’s brief needed to get to the Supreme Court.”

“And going through the Square was the only reasonable way to walk there from the US Embassy,” Musa added.

“You know, my friend,” said Frost. “I’m sure that one of two things happened. Either Rogers and Company were there to waylay that brief. If so, it was certainly on orders from much higher. Or…”

“Or?”

“OR, it was just randy Jimmy looking to get lucky with the girl who he’d almost shagged at the reception a few days earlier!”

“Which is it?”

“Damned if I know!” said Frost, banging the desk with his fist.”

“Perhaps, Jiang can help.”

“Unless he’s all lawyered up by now.”

“Its forty-eight hours before he gets an attorney. He’s got to be terrified, the last 27 hours naked in our cells.”

“Naked?”

“He was naked when we arrested him. It’s not be our problem that he misplaced his clothes. Anyway, I’m sure he’ll tell us all he knows. From his records, it is obvious that he’s young, stupid and inexperienced. And I wasn’t making it up back there when I spoke of how good our interrogators are. Jiang embarrassed the Guard with that stunt in our Square. ! have plenty of good men who would pay good money to make him squeal!”

*Black Letter Law - a term used to describe an interpretation of the law that is established in both a plain reading of the statutes and in all-controlling decisions.

*Equity - refers to a particular set of remedies and associated procedures to achieve fairness in a case. A court will typically award equitable remedies when a legal remedy is insufficient or inadequate. Common in civil law, though rare in criminal cases. Equity is used more in Singapore criminal courts than in most other countries.

Back
Top Bottom