Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Greenhow was captured for a time. A popular Washington socialite, she used her connections to gather information to pass to the Confederates. Allen Pinkerton, head of the Secret Service had her placed under house arrest August 23, 1861 and moved her to the Old Capital Prison January 18, 1862. She was essentially deported to the South on May 31, 1862.
After that, she was sent to Europe to act as a sort ambassador-at-large. She was returning from Europe on a blockade-runner that ran aground in the mouth of the Cape Fear River near Wilmington, NC (my mom's hometown). She was trying to get ashore by rowboat, but it capsized and she was weighed down by $2,000 in gold sewn into her underclothes.

A story could be written about what might have happened if she were imprisoned in a less genteel Union.
I wonder how much of the gold was for her. Also, with the blockade, one wonders what the confederacy would do with it. It would have been better to leave it in a sympathetic European repository.
Allen Pinkerton was after the war not very warm and fuzzy, at least toward labor unions. Maybe at this stage he was just gaining influence and business and didn't want to rock the boat with harsh measures. (He certainly put the fear of God into "Gorgeous George" McClellan with his wildly grandiose estimates of Confederate capability. )

It may have been twenty years ago today that Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play, but it was fifty years ago tomorrow that Monty Python's Flying Circus debuted on the BBC. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...-of-silly-walks-edible-props-and-dead-parrots

To even attempt to summarize the many sketches of hilarity, idiocy, satire and brilliance of this crew would be impossible. Their fans will be happy to recite them from memory. I will say that several years ago I attended a performance of "Spamalot". That is the only time in my life when I could say without any exaggeration that I laughed until my sides ached.

I wonder how much of the gold was for her. Also, with the blockade, one wonders what the confederacy would do with it. It would have been better to leave it in a sympathetic European repository.
Allen Pinkerton was after the war not very warm and fuzzy, at least toward labor unions. Maybe at this stage he was just gaining influence and business and didn't want to rock the boat with harsh measures. (He certainly put the fear of God into "Gorgeous George" McClellan with his wildly grandiose estimates of Confederate capability. )
The gold was hers. It was royalties from sales of her memoir. This was in the days before wire transfers. If you wanted to get money from Europe to America (or the CSA) you pretty much had to take it with you. I imagine she had the gold in her clothes in case they were stopped by a Union blockade ship.
Are you referring to Mary Surratt?
I was thinking more in terms of the sort of interrogation techniques used with spies at other times and places.

The gold was hers. It was royalties from sales of her memoir. This was in the days before wire transfers. If you wanted to get money from Europe to America (or the CSA) you pretty much had to take it with you. I imagine she had the gold in her clothes in case they were stopped by a Union blockade ship.
And probably, the ships these days had no cabins with a safe and one was traveling for weeks together with people you did know if they could be trusted.

On this day, in 1492, Columbus's little fleet was a full month out of sight of land (last landfall the Canary Islands September 6).
"Saturday. 6th of October - The Admiral continued his west course and during the day and night, they made good 40 leagues, 33 being counted." Note Columbus told the crew a smaller figure to make their distance form home seem less. Most historians believe the league used by columbus was the equivalent of 2.67 statute miles. So this 24 hour period covered about 107 miles

More in coming days.

If I had known that I’d have incited a rebellion among the crew. How dare he try to deceive us!!! :confused::mad:
Before you take such reckless action, I'd advise you to read King Diocletian's "Miss Berkeley's Voyage" to get an idea of the punishment you might received from the "cat." :eek: :eek: :eek:

Before you take such reckless action, I'd advise you to read King Diocletian's "Miss Berkeley's Voyage" to get an idea of the punishment you might received from the "cat." :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh, come on now ... Chris would never have resorted to such wanton cruelty! :confused:

On this day, in 1492, Columbus's little fleet was a full month out of sight of land (last landfall the Canary Islands September 6).
"Saturday. 6th of October - The Admiral continued his west course and during the day and night, they made good 40 leagues, 33 being counted." Note Columbus told the crew a smaller figure to make their distance form home seem less. Most historians believe the league used by columbus was the equivalent of 2.67 statute miles. So this 24 hour period covered about 107 miles
More in coming days.
If I had known that I’d have incited a rebellion among the crew. How dare he try to deceive us!!! :confused::mad:

Columbus had planned to stay four days on the Canary's, for supply and some repairs. It became four weeks. Many worried why he postponed his departure so long! One possible reason is, that he preferred the company (and the bed) of Beatriz de Bobadilla, the local ruler of the Island of La Gomera. She is said to have been of extreme beauty, and her nickname was 'La Cazadora', 'The Huntress'!:fuck:

me always thinking first in usa was chinese becuse archeologists found on the beach they ships, and later vikings beacouse they found they ships too and later Cristoforo Colombo? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cat:

There is not archaeological or substantive textual evidence that the Chinese reached America in pre-modern times. The Viking settlements in Vinland are however well established, though they did not last for long.

More in coming days.
The crew had every reason to be concerned. I read a recent document from a Spanish archive that said Magellan of "first to circumvnet the globe " fame was Portuguese but was sailing under Spanish patronage, and that when he was killed in the Philippines a Spaniard took over and completed the voyage (and the Portuguese were gunning for all of them). Of the five ships, the one with the Spanish captain was the only one which made it. Of the almost 300 crew, only 17 survived. (Too lazy to re-read the document to check my memory, but clearly--due in no small part to scurvy--ocean sailing in the 15th century was not a risk-free activity. It is true that the Chinese had bigger ships and a more robust program, but it was stopped by the Emperor to save money, and in shame the eunuch who lead it burned all his logs. The Polynesians were top navigators, which is why there were people on most islands where the Europeans landed, including New Zealand and Australia. There is--to my mind, anyway--a distinct possibility that the Polynesians did "discover" the Americas, and the Being Strait land bridge was not the only conduit for human incursions. They got to "Easter Island", after all, which is now part of Chile but is really in the middle of the ocean.)

The Viking settlements in Vinland are however well established, though they did not last for long.
Those wimpy Viking couldn't stick it out long in the harsh, unbearable conditions of Maritime Canada or Greenland (no offence @Kathy ) and word of their "discovery" went nowhere. Columbus accomplished the "European Discovery of the New World" which lead to great changes in the Old World as well as the New.
To anyone interested in knowing more about Columbus, I very strongly recommend Admiral of the Ocean Sea, by Samuel Eliot Morison. A great biography by one of the great and highly readable historians of the 20th Century. Morison was a sailor telling a sailing story. I read it when I was in my twenties and it was one of the most enjoyable and gripping reads of my life. (almost as good as C & P in Singapore).

Last edited:
The crew had every reason to be concerned. I read a recent document from a Spanish archive that said Magellan of "first to circumvnet the globe " fame was Portuguese but was sailing under Spanish patronage, and that when he was killed in the Philippines a Spaniard took over and completed the voyage (and the Portuguese were gunning for all of them). Of the five ships, the one with the Spanish captain was the only one which made it. Of the almost 300 crew, only 17 survived. (Too lazy to re-read the document to check my memory, but clearly--due in no small part to scurvy--ocean sailing in the 15th century was not a risk-free activity. It is true that the Chinese had bigger ships and a more robust program, but it was stopped by the Emperor to save money, and in shame the eunuch who lead it burned all his logs. The Polynesians were top navigators, which is why there were people on most islands where the Europeans landed, including New Zealand and Australia. There is--to my mind, anyway--a distinct possibility that the Polynesians did "discover" the Americas, and the Being Strait land bridge was not the only conduit for human incursions. They got to "Easter Island", after all, which is now part of Chile but is really in the middle of the ocean.)
And may have got to the Queen Charlotte Islands.
The First Nations people there have a strong resemblance to Polynesians.

Back
Top Bottom