Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
On November 8th 1939, eighty years ago, the most famous attempt, except for the 20th July 1944 plot, to assassinate Hitler took place. Hitler had moved to Munich, for the yearly remembrance of the Bürgerbraukeller Putsch from 1923. Georg Elser, a German woodworker, had prepared it weeks in advance. Every night, he hid in the inn and had himself locked up. He removed a part of the paneling around the pillar where Hitler used to speech, and replaced it by a small door, behind which he could do the work. Behind that little door, he made hole in the brickwork, patiently, night after night. After the work, he took some sleep and when the inn opened in the morning, he sneaked out. When the hole was large enough, he installed a bomb with a timer.
The bomb exploded at the set time, made the ceiling come down and killed eight and wounded tens, but not Hitler! He had already left a few minutes earlier, because he was travelling by train.
Elser was meanwhile on his way to Switzerland, but he was stopped at the border because he was carrying an expired passport. Lots of evidence was found on him, and finally he confessed he had planted the bomb. Because the plot was so well worked out, it took the Gestapo some time to get convinced that Elser had worked alone. He was interned in a concentration camp, but got rather fair treatment. On April 9th 1945, he was shot on order of Hitler.

On this day in 1895, German physicist Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen accidentally discovered X-rays. He noticed that these invisible rays could pass through most substances but not bone and metal, offering a powerful new medical imaging technology.

In his honor the Röntgen, a unit of ionizing radiation, the amount producing one electrostatic unit of positive or negative ionic charge in one cubic centimeter of air under standard conditions, was named.

On November 9th 1799 (18 Brumaire of the year VII according to the revolutionary calendar), Napoleon Bonaparte forces the Directoire, France's revolutionary government, to abdicate, and replaces them by a triumvirate of three consuls. He proclaims himself to First Consul. Soon, there will be only one consul to rule.

This event is generally considered as the end of the French Revolution properly, but not of the revolution's spirit. Napoleon would cast the ideology of the revolution into workable governance concepts, which would, despite the reactionary setback after 1815, help to spread these ideas of liberty over all Europe during the 19th century.

On this day in 1940, Neville Chamberlain died.
On the 12th Winston Churchill gave a eulogy in the House of Commons.

"The only guide to a man is his conscience; the only shield to his memory is the rectitude and sincerity of his actions. It is very imprudent to walk through life without this shield, because we are so often mocked by the failure of our hopes and the upsetting of our calculations; but with this shield, however the Fates may play, we march always in the ranks of honour.

"Whatever else history may or may not say about these terrible, tremendous years, we can be sure that Neville Chamberlain acted with perfect sincerity according to his lights and strove to the utmost of his capacity and authority, which were powerful, to save the world from the awful, devastating struggle in which we are now engaged…."

And to the day thirty years later, on November 9th, Charles de Gaulle died.

But once more eighty years ago, on November 9th 1939, a day after the failed assassination of Hitler in Munich (see my post above), the so called Venlo-incident took place.
British agents of MI6, active in the Netherlands, had been contacted by German officers, who were planning a coup against Hitler. A meeting was arranged between MI6 agents Best and Stevens, near the Netherlands-German border, in Venlo. In fact, the German 'resistance' members belonged to the Reichsicherheitsambt, the German counterintelligence. One of them was Walter Schellenberg, the later head of the SD.

Once arrived at the rendez-vous place, Best and Stevens were abducted from Dutch territory by a German commando, that hence had trespassed neutral Netherlands. A Dutch intelligence officer, Lt. Klop, who accompanied the British agents, was killed in the event.

Stevens and Best carried lots of information about British agents in Germany and its then occupied territories, and the Gestapo retrieved more of them during their interrogation. It was a serious blow to the British intelligence network in Europe.

The Dutch government protested, while Nazi propaganda linked the British agents to the bombing in Munich, and accused the Dutch of breaching their neutrality by giving help to British conspiracies against Hitler. The event was a 'casus belli' for Hitler to invade The Netherlands, six months later.

Best and Stevens were interned in concentration camp, but survived the war.

earliest surviving book in the English language to be written by a woman

And one of the best, her prose is among the finest products of the 14th century revival of writing in English.

I posted this in the wrong thread a little while ago.
:oops:
Fifty years ago tomorrow, November 10, 1969, children's television was changed forever by the debut of Sesame Street. Fast paced, featuring humor, a multi-ethnic cast and the Muppets, the show has become the biggest success the US Public Broadcasting System has ever had.
sesamestrret.jpgSeasonCastPhoto.jpg
I started watching s few years later, when I was about 13. I already knew my ABCs and how to count, I was in the 7th grade. I watched for a different reason. I got home from Junior High school about 3:30. At that time (1971) there was no internet, cable TV, video games, DVD or anything. The only entertainment choices were three network stations (no Fox), two independent stations, and two PBS stations (Tampa actually had more options than most regions). The only things I could watch in the afternoon were soap operas, game shows, talk shows, old movies, and Sesame Street. I discovered that the show was entertaining for several reasons. The humor was often way above the level of the intended pre-K audience. The musical numbers were pretty good. And then, there was Maria. Sonia Manzano was one of the hottest things on TV and made this adolescent white boy aware of the allure of Latinas.
maria_sesame_street_kpusc3.jpgmaria.jpgmaria2.jpg
At 69, she's still pretty hot.
maria3.jpg

I posted this in the wrong thread a little while ago.
:oops:
Fifty years ago tomorrow, November 10, 1969, children's television was changed forever by the debut of Sesame Street. Fast paced, featuring humor, a multi-ethnic cast and the Muppets, the show has become the biggest success the US Public Broadcasting System has ever had.
sesamestrret.jpgSeasonCastPhoto.jpg
I started watching s few years later, when I was about 13. I already knew my ABCs and how to count, I was in the 7th grade. I watched for a different reason. I got home from Junior High school about 3:30. At that time (1971) there was no internet, cable TV, video games, DVD or anything. The only entertainment choices were three network stations (no Fox), two independent stations, and two PBS stations (Tampa actually had more options than most regions). The only things I could watch in the afternoon were soap operas, game shows, talk shows, old movies, and Sesame Street. I discovered that the show was entertaining for several reasons. The humor was often way above the level of the intended pre-K audience. The musical numbers were pretty good. And then, there was Maria. Sonia Manzano was one of the hottest things on TV and made this adolescent white boy aware of the allure of Latinas.
maria_sesame_street_kpusc3.jpgmaria.jpgmaria2.jpg
At 69, she's still pretty hot.
maria3.jpg

The humor was definitely aimed at adults. ;)

30 years ago!
I watched it live on TV as it happened. I was 24 then.

That makes me feel old now :(

I was a young man travelling in Europe, I saw the East Germans streaming over the Hungarian border into Austria, it was clear that something was going to blow. But people in Budapest were convinced that East Germany would be the last of the communist states to change, they were so serious, so strict, apparently. A few months later . . . . . . .
1989 was a very interesting time to be travelling, saw Hungary and the Soviet Union, and then Prague just after the Velvet Revolution in 1990.

For Archimede, it was a bathtub, for Newton, an apple. For René Descartes it was a bad sleep.

Four hundred years ago, on a cold November 10th 1619, Descartes (1596 – 1650), then an officer in the army service of King Maximilian of Bavaria, took a sleep in a warm room, in the town of Neurenberg on Donau.

He must have slept badly, since he recalled he had three ‘visions’ that told him the way his life had to go on further.

In the wake of this experience, he was staring to the ceiling. The rectangular ceiling, with a cracked plaster pattern, made him think about a system of describing each point on a surface by two numbers, an ordered pair, referring to the position of the point relative to a horizontal and a vertical axis.

Four hundred years ago to this day, Cartesian geometry was born.

For Archimede, it was a bathtub, for Newton, an apple. For René Descartes it was a bad sleep.

Four hundred years ago, on a cold November 10th 1619, Descartes (1596 – 1650), then an officer in the army service of King Maximilian of Bavaria, took a sleep in a warm room, in the town of Neurenberg on Donau.

He must have slept badly, since he recalled he had three ‘visions’ that told him the way his life had to go on further.

In the wake of this experience, he was staring to the ceiling. The rectangular ceiling, with a cracked plaster pattern, made him think about a system of describing each point on a surface by two numbers, an ordered pair, referring to the position of the point relative to a horizontal and a vertical axis.

Four hundred years ago to this day, Cartesian geometry was born.

So ... what he ACTUALLY said was "I think therefore I am ... Awake."

That explains a lot. :)

On the 12th Winston Churchill gave a eulogy in the House of Commons.

"The only guide to a man is his conscience; the only shield to his memory is the rectitude and sincerity of his actions. It is very imprudent to walk through life without this shield, because we are so often mocked by the failure of our hopes and the upsetting of our calculations; but with this shield, however the Fates may play, we march always in the ranks of honour.

"Whatever else history may or may not say about these terrible, tremendous years, we can be sure that Neville Chamberlain acted with perfect sincerity according to his lights and strove to the utmost of his capacity and authority, which were powerful, to save the world from the awful, devastating struggle in which we are now engaged…."
There is a new book out (on which I have only seen a review) called "Appeasement" (by a guy named Boverie) which argues that Chamberlin was far from alone in his views--the entire British establishment (including his predecessor Stanley Baldwin) wanted to avoid war at almost any cost. (Franklin Roosevelt also thought he could "work with" Stalin, by the way, although at the time there wasn't much of a choice.) So one might say that if anyone came out a winner from the disaster of World War I, it was Hitler.

Back
Top Bottom