Now This Just Isn't Funny

Go to CruxDreams.com
A Welshman, an Englishman and an American were having a drink.
At first they talked about cars and farms, and true to form, the American had the swankiest car and the biggest farm. Then they got to talking about children's names.
'My son was born on St David's Day', remarked the Welshman, 'So - look you, we obviously Christened him David.'
'That's a real coincidence', observed the Englishman', My son was born on Michaelmas Day, 29th of September, so we decided to call him Michael.'
'That's remarkable', piped up the American, 'Exactly the same thing happened with my son Pancake.'

It was Shrove Tuesday and Mrs Thomas was making pancakes for her sons, Aaron 6, and Kelvin 8.
As usual, the brothers began to argue over who should get the first pancake. Their mother saw a wonderful opportunity for a moral lesson.
'If Jesus were sitting at the table, He would say, "Let my brother have the first pancake".'
Quick as a flash Kelvin turned to Aaron and said, 'Aaron, today you can be Jesus!'

A Definition of Shroving
Shroving is a ancient British custom in which children sang or recited poetry in exchange for food or money.
A popular shroving rhyme went like this:

Knock, knock, the pan's hot
And we are coming a-shroving
For a piece of pancake
Or a piece of bacon
Or a piece of truckle* cheese
Of your own making.

*Truckle cheese is barrel shaped and is often mature Cheddar.

Back
Top Bottom