Odds And Ends And Anything You Fancy

Go to CruxDreams.com
I disagree and I can prove what I'm saying. The Curtis P-40 was in the war long before the US entered it. As to the Destroyers England asked for them and we didn't sell them they were traded in consideration of the use of certain Naval Bases that it is highly likely England would have lost along with Singapore. Lend lease didn't cost England a cent; aircraft such as the Liberator and P-51 Mustang didn't see combat until late in the war. These aircraft were also supplied under, "Lend Lease". At the time the US entered the war Neville Chamberlain and his minions were suggesting that it might be time to reach an agreement with Hitler. Had we not entered the war when we did it seems highly likely the principle language in England today could be German.
The English are a brave, strong and intelligent people of that there can be no doubt, but they needed our help and we gave it freely along with our blood; it shouldn't be forgotten.
Helmut
The Naval bases were in the Caribbean and under no immediate threat from the Germans and the Japanese were 18 months away from attacking Pearl Harbour.

I disagree and I can prove what I'm saying. The Curtis P-40 was in the war long before the US entered it. As to the Destroyers England asked for them and we didn't sell them they were traded in consideration of the use of certain Naval Bases that it is highly likely England would have lost along with Singapore. Lend lease didn't cost England a cent; aircraft such as the Liberator and P-51 Mustang didn't see combat until late in the war. These aircraft were also supplied under, "Lend Lease". At the time the US entered the war Neville Chamberlain and his minions were suggesting that it might be time to reach an agreement with Hitler. Had we not entered the war when we did it seems highly likely the principle language in England today could be German.
The English are a brave, strong and intelligent people of that there can be no doubt, but they needed our help and we gave it freely along with our blood; it shouldn't be forgotten.
Helmut
Nobody disputes the massive contribution made by the US in WW2 and yes we are grateful for your efforts. The effects of American industrial might and manpower were a telling factor, but in Europe, for example, much of the heavy lifting was done by the Russians,who suffered almost 20 million casualties.
Ironically ,the Russians were only kept in the war by the efforts of the British and US merchant fleets and the Royal Navy with Arctic convoys.
The war in the Pacific was where the US did the majority of the painful work. You mention Singapore, the most ignominious defeat in British military history, we had no quarrel with Japan in the 1930s but our complacent politicians failed to see the potential fall out from the US/Japanese power struggle that was taking place in the region and we were unprepared with focus being on Hitler and events in Europe Hindsight is wonderful.

I agree with every point you make, I've been studying that war from thee time I learned to read about 78 years ago. No one ever wins a war; it's just that whom ever is thought of as the winner has only lost to a lessor degree. The young men who die are still dead the money spent cannot be recovered, to my way of thinking no one wins a war.
I,too agree....nobody 'wins' a war.
(It's not like a football match....to put it bluntly)
War is like marriage,very easy to get into,but to finish comes at great human cost and permanent suffering...(i should know)
Did you know.....??
The only Country,to gain anything from WW2 was the United States,in terms of financial reward,and rebuilding....??
Everyone else was devastated,physically morally,and financially.
Yep,even the UK.....for years afterwards.
I don't glorify the violence,(like,with crucifixion) I take a personal interest in various epochs of history.....sadly warfare is part of it.

For some odds and ends...

Attachments

• concubine1108.jpg
    concubine1108.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 100
  • concubine779.jpg
    concubine779.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 104
  • romandecadence367.jpg
    romandecadence367.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 103
The use of the American aircraft came later, after agreements forged when the Us entered the war in 1941. The Battle of Britain in 1940 was fought mainly by the Hurricanes to attack the German bombers and the Spitfires to combat their fighters, although these arrangements were not exclusive.
The P51 only became a World-beater after the R.A.E. Farnborough modified it to take the Rolls Royce "Merlin" engine. Before that it was an also-ran, but useful to the RAF as a ground attack fighter in the North African campaign.
In production the Merlin engine was often built by Packard Motors in the USA.
"Two heads are better than one" as it is said.

The P51 only became a World-beater after the R.A.E. Farnborough modified it to take the Rolls Royce "Merlin" engine. Before that it was an also-ran, but useful to the RAF as a ground attack fighter in the North African campaign.
In production the Merlin engine was often built by Packard Motors in the USA.
"Two heads are better than one" as it is said.
The Rolls-Royce/Packard Merlin 61.
(Twin-Superchargers)
The engine that powered,both the P-51D
and the Spitfire IX/XVI respectively....

The Rolls-Royce/Packard Merlin 61.
(Twin-Superchargers)
The engine that powered,both the P-51D
and the Spitfire IX/XVI respectively....

Biggles often refers to the Merlin, as I recall. And I'm sure Wraggles depended on it too.
Wraggles.jpg

And I'm sure RR can tell us a thing or two about it.
69bd6cbaed833f1e14838527b13c2fb7 (1).jpg

Biggles often refers to the Merlin, as I recall. And I'm sure Wraggles depended on it too.
View attachment 827494

And I'm sure RR can tell us a thing or two about it.
View attachment 827493
Flying squirrels manage very well without an aeroplane - ain't nature wonderful.
settle-squirrels4-900x600.jpg
On another matter - how is this for a proper kippered herring? (Very tasty and no BFK <dye - brown for kippers>)
Kipper IMG_3514 (3).JPG

Funny how you never see a swell-looking dame with a B-52 tattooed on her nose.. :confused:

I usually buy them in pairs..:p
I have never seen a B-52 tattoo (nor a B-1 or B-2). But I did see a young lady at the gym with an angler fish tattoo on her shoulder. (I do not know what kind of a wedding dress she will wear.) I couldn't resist.
"An angler fish?"
"Yeah, teehee."
"Aren't they only about two inches long?" (The tattoo was at least six inches.)
"Yes, and the males are really teeny-tiny." (The males are miniscule and attach themselves to the females, fertilizing them and taking nutrients from the female's circulation. I know, ladies. "Typical".)

Humpback_anglerfish.png

Nobody disputes the massive contribution made by the US in WW2 and yes we are grateful for your efforts. The effects of American industrial might and manpower were a telling factor, but in Europe, for example, much of the heavy lifting was done by the Russians,who suffered almost 20 million casualties.
Ironically ,the Russians were only kept in the war by the efforts of the British and US merchant fleets and the Royal Navy with Arctic convoys.
The war in the Pacific was where the US did the majority of the painful work. You mention Singapore, the most ignominious defeat in British military history, we had no quarrel with Japan in the 1930s but our complacent politicians failed to see the potential fall out from the US/Japanese power struggle that was taking place in the region and we were unprepared with focus being on Hitler and events in Europe Hindsight is wonderful.
I think the Japanese were out to remove all western influence, European and American, from Asia--certainly from China. In his excellent book Appeasement (based mostly on primary sources), Tim Bouverie tells of incidents against Britain akin to the Panay Incident. Chamberlin and his cabinet (and the Admirality, apparently) felt the Royal Navy was not big enough to handle the Far East in addition to its other responsibilities (foremost the Mediterraean against the Italian fleet) and didn't take firm action. This book is a real indictment of Chamberlin (and of the French government), but it also makes clear that domestic political sentiment and budgetary concerns after years of austerity made any response risking armed conflict difficult and uncertain for any government.

Love the clothed unclothed stuff. They are indeed hidden and revealed in every way.

Anyone interested in playing a game? Can you guys find the pairs?

45AF4052-9995-4028-968E-3FBA67EC484B_4_5005_c.jpeg 1.) ************************* 31B5D46D-C6D4-4545-9C91-1DED7E96217C.jpegA.)
2249062C-33EB-4B38-A04E-0553CC9163AD_4_5005_c.jpeg2.)************************* 0E878AEE-E57C-4650-B52C-5A03D39BD0FB.jpegB.)
0C21A6AD-7B8D-46F5-B284-87B35B313B43_4_5005_c.jpeg3.)************************* 69CEAB83-B05B-4186-A7E5-36FEF9920293.jpeg C.)
D46B03E4-F7C4-4E38-B242-02DA553EA6F3_4_5005_c.jpeg4.)***************************** 20CBA997-1537-4D2B-8A7A-4A4C4A8EA226.jpeg4.)
A0EF220F-29C5-448E-BB67-B5D28D70F09C_4_5005_c.jpeg 5.)***************************** 9D712534-CF0D-4C54-908D-3FC99AE119AD_4_5005_c.jpegE.)

Back
Top Bottom