Odds And Ends And Anything You Fancy

Go to CruxDreams.com
I apologise,that it's not a sexy crucified babe... :p
But here's something i finished recently,to add to my growing collection of WW2 warplanes.
20200225_100202.jpg

"V.C.Hurricane."
Hawker Hurricane Mk I. GN
A P3576 249 Sqn RAF.
Flown by Flt.Lt. James Brindley Nicholson V.C.
August 16th 1940
(1/72 scale Airfix kit)
This model depicts the only recipient of the Victoria Cross,awarded to Fighter Command,during the Battle of Britain,and the duration of the Second World War.
Per Ardua Adastra.

Last edited:
But here's something i finished recently,to add to my growing collection of WW2 warplanes.
View attachment 825606

"V.C.Hurricane."
A P3576 249 Sqn RAF.
August 16th 1940
(1/72 scale Airfix kit)
This model depicts the only recipient of the Victoria Cross,awarded to Fighter Command,during the Battle of Britain,and the duration of the Second World War.
Per Ardua Adastra.

My heart was gladdened when Airfix rose from the ashes, it's good to see the kits in the shops again, though their catalog is very much reduced. I grew up in the glory days of the 70s, Airfix was an important part of my life.

As far as I remember something like that Hurricane would have cost about $1, $1.50 Australian back then. Ah, the memories.

Something else everyone likes, ice-cream (and naked women)

ice_cream1 (2).jpgice_cream1 (1).jpgice_cream (10).jpgice_cream (9).jpgice_cream (7).jpgice_cream (8).jpgice_cream (6).jpgice_cream (4).jpgice_cream (3).jpgice_cream (2).jpg

My heart was gladdened when Airfix rose from the ashes, it's good to see the kits in the shops again, though their catalog is very much reduced. I grew up in the glory days of the 70s, Airfix was an important part of my life.

As far as I remember something like that Hurricane would have cost about $1, $1.50 Australian back then. Ah, the memories.

View attachment 825963View attachment 825964View attachment 825965View attachment 825966View attachment 825967View attachment 825968View attachment 825969View attachment 825970View attachment 825971View attachment 825972
Ah, to lick that ice cream of those lovely bods!

The equivalent of sixty Eurocents, then, in 1972.

Sure, we do, but on a snowy day like this,:qmiedo::qmiedo:we prefer the women near the fireplace, with a hot drink!:very_hot::roto2cafe:

View attachment 825606

"V.C.Hurricane."
A P3576 249 Sqn RAF.
August 16th 1940
(1/72 scale Airfix kit)
Per Ardua Adastra.
As I recall the Hurricane and the US P40 were the two fighters that carried the Battle of Brittan; the Spit was a an excellent aircraft but a difficult build and they never had enough of them so they turned to another aircraft the North American P-51 Mustang. Sr. Winston was absolutely correct when he said "Never in the history of human endeavor have so many owed so much to so few" when he spoke of the men who flew those fighter aircraft in the Battle of Brittan.
Regards to all,
Helmut
PS: I'm a Churchill fan and I've read all of his books. He was the man of the millennium .

The equivalent of sixty Eurocents, then, in 1972.

I don't think there were Euro cents in 1972. I distinctly remember handling marks, lira etc in the late 80s.

Sure, we do, but on a snowy day like this,:qmiedo::qmiedo:we prefer the women near the fireplace, with a hot drink!:very_hot::roto2cafe:

Sorry, it's quite warm here at the moment ;)

PS: I'm a Churchill fan and I've read all of his books. He was the man of the millennium .

Century, you have a case. Millenium, that's a big call!

Hmm, on this topic, sort of, WWII plane art

flying22.jpgWW II Nose Art (2).jpgPCCzzBU.jpgabe30c0da18bc09b853115d4010ede34.jpgb29_cu_17.jpgAircraft-Nose-Art_01.jpg4670513568_1a899ff944_b.jpgflying10.jpgflying18.jpg

As I recall the Hurricane and the US P40 were the two fighters that carried the Battle of Brittan; the Spit was a an excellent aircraft but a difficult build and they never had enough of them so they turned to another aircraft the North American P-51 Mustang. Sr. Winston was absolutely correct when he said "Never in the history of human endeavor have so many owed so much to so few" when he spoke of the men who flew those fighter aircraft in the Battle of Brittan.
Regards to all,
Helmut
The use of the American aircraft came later, after agreements forged when the Us entered the war in 1941. The Battle of Britain in 1940 was fought mainly by the Hurricanes to attack the German bombers and the Spitfires to combat their fighters, although these arrangements were not exclusive.

The use of the American aircraft came later, after agreements forged when the Us entered the war in 1941. The Battle of Britain in 1940 was fought mainly by the Hurricanes to attack the German bombers and the Spitfires to combat their fighters, although these arrangements were not exclusive.
Absolutely correct,sir...
Mind you,there were other types that contributed,but didn't fare so well,against the Luftwaffe's Bf 109 E's....
Defiant,Blenheim,and Gladiator.....

I don't think there were Euro cents in 1972. I distinctly remember handling marks, lira etc in the late 80s.

Sorry, it's quite warm here at the moment ;)

Century, you have a case. Millenium, that's a big call!

Hmm, on this topic, sort of, WWII plane art

View attachment 826629View attachment 826630View attachment 826631View attachment 826632View attachment 826633View attachment 826634View attachment 826635View attachment 826636View attachment 826637
Not all that big considering he fought that war using American Industry and Russian blood. I enjoy the study of history and from a American (US) point of view Franklin Roosevelt was the man of his time; Harry Truman was the man od the Century and good old Winston was the man of the millennium. I can remember Churchill speaking as a young boy. Edward R Murrow said of Churchill: "H has mustered the English language and sent to off to war," or words to that effect.
Industrially we were involved in that war well before Pearl Harbor, Destroyers and P-40s were some of the earliest weapons we supplied to England. Winston understood England would likely fail to survive without the industrial might of the US. FDR went out on a limb politically to help England while many of our people were inclined toward remaining isolationists. Subs of the German navy were sinking our ships almost a full year before Pearl Harbor.
Churchill was a great man so was Harry Truman to take over from a fallen President during a very hot shooting war.
H

Not all that big considering he fought that war using American Industry and Russian blood. I enjoy the study of history and from a American (US) point of view Franklin Roosevelt was the man of his time; Harry Truman was the man od the Century and good old Winston was the man of the millennium. I can remember Churchill speaking as a young boy. Edward R Murrow said of Churchill: "H has mustered the English language and sent to off to war," or words to that effect.

Industrially we were involved in that war well before Pearl Harbor, Destroyers and P-40s were some of the earliest weapons we supplied to England. Winston understood England would likely fail to survive without the industrial might of the US. FDR went out on a limb politically to help England while many of our people were inclined toward remaining isolationists. Subs of the German navy were sinking our ships almost a full year before Pearl Harbor.
Churchill was a great man so was Harry Truman to take over from a fallen President during a very hot shooting war.
H
US industry certainly made a lot of money out of selling armaments to us and yes they did sell us a number of obsolete WW1 destroyers pre 1941 and gained Naval bases in the British West Indies as part of the deal, but the Battle of Britain was not fought with American aircraft, the P40s and the Liberator bombers came later.

That's why I said the equivalent of sixty eurocents. The same aircraft now costs around 3 euros, what you would have paid (equivalent value) for a B-17, a liberator B-24 or an Avro Lancaster Airfix model early in the seventies.
I just bought a new Airfix Wellington for just under £30.... :eek: :eek: So yep....expensive hobby.

US industry certainly made a lot of money out of selling armaments to us and yes they did sell us a number of obsolete WW1 destroyers pre 1941 and gained Naval bases in the British West Indies as part of the deal, but the Battle of Britain was not fought with American aircraft, the P40s and the Liberator bombers came later.
I disagree and I can prove what I'm saying. The Curtis P-40 was in the war long before the US entered it. As to the Destroyers England asked for them and we didn't sell them they were traded in consideration of the use of certain Naval Bases that it is highly likely England would have lost along with Singapore. Lend lease didn't cost England a cent; aircraft such as the Liberator and P-51 Mustang didn't see combat until late in the war. These aircraft were also supplied under, "Lend Lease". At the time the US entered the war Neville Chamberlain and his minions were suggesting that it might be time to reach an agreement with Hitler. Had we not entered the war when we did it seems highly likely the principle language in England today could be German.
The English are a brave, strong and intelligent people of that there can be no doubt, but they needed our help and we gave it freely along with our blood; it shouldn't be forgotten.
Helmut

I disagree and I can prove what I'm saying. The Curtis P-40 was in the war long before the US entered it. As to the Destroyers England asked for them and we didn't sell them they were traded in consideration of the use of certain Naval Bases that it is highly likely England would have lost along with Singapore. Lend lease didn't cost England a cent; aircraft such as the Liberator and P-51 Mustang didn't see combat until late in the war. These aircraft were also supplied under, "Lend Lease". At the time the US entered the war Neville Chamberlain and his minions were suggesting that it might be time to reach an agreement with Hitler. Had we not entered the war when we did it seems highly likely the principle language in England today could be German.
The English are a brave, strong and intelligent people of that there can be no doubt, but they needed our help and we gave it freely along with our blood; it shouldn't be forgotten.
Helmut
Helmut, it isn't forgotten! However Chamberlain was dead of cancer on November 9th 1940, well before the USA entered the war.
The crucial days for Churchill were may 24 to the 28. This was when Churchill consolidated power which he didn't have before.
He didn't win the war then, but he didn't lose it!

Helmut, it isn't forgotten! However Chamberlain was dead of cancer on November 9th 1940, well before the USA entered the war.
The crucial days for Churchill were may 24 to the 28. This was when Churchill consolidated power which he didn't have before.
He didn't win the war then, but he didn't lose it!
I agree with every point you make, I've been studying that war from the time I learned to read about 78 years ago. No one ever wins a war; it's just that whom ever is thought of as the winner has only lost to a lessor degree. The young men who die are still dead the money spent cannot be recovered, to my way of thinking no one wins a war.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom