Our Fascination with the Romans, why?

Go to CruxDreams.com
A few reasons for this fascination, I can think of :
Probably, without Christianity, crucifixion would have been largely forgotten by history, besides some events recorded in written accounts, eg the outcome of the Spartacus uprise.
‘Roman’ style crucifixion is a ‘duration’ punishment, which strikes our fantasy, for the exposure, humiliation, etc….
I also envisage crucifixion settings in other Ancient times (Carthage, Babylonia,…), but I think much of the outline of the story will be comparable to a Roman setting.

Putting up a story in Roman times is also ‘safe’, since it did actually happen in that time, and we are sufficiently documented about the Roman society, to set up a believable context.
Yet, for me the fascination is not limited to Roman times. I have posted here already a number of crucifixion stories, set in a dystopic present or near future.

Not to change the topic (well OK, just a bit)-Tricia-haven't seen you here for a while. Welcome back! Hope you hang aroound a bit...

I would agree with Lox, that if not for Jesus, crucifixion would be a historical footnote and certainly not the subject of much art. After all, I don't know of much art depicting lethal injection in Texas prisons, for example.

I am kind of fascinated with the fascination the we have (as a group) with the Roman version(s) of crucifixion.

Many cultures used crucifixion as a punishment both before and after Rome, yet we constantly seem to be enamored with Rome.

The Phoenicians and Carthaginians certainly practiced it as did the post Alexandrian Greeks.

I've been reading a history of the Nabateans (the Arabic people who created Petra) and the author mentions a Hasmonean (same line Herod the Great came out of) King of Judea by the name of Alexander Jarnaeus who crucified 800 of his opponents and had their wives and children (while he was drinking wine surrounded by his concubines) massacred in front of them as they were dying on the crosses.

The Arab conquerors of the Middle East practiced crucifixion at least into the 700s (although they tended to torture their victims to death on the cross, not to use it by itself as a form of execution).

There is a story of a Japanese Damiyo falling to capture his opponent after a battle and crucifying the man's wife and children instead.

And the Chinese Warlords may have been using it as a form of punishment possibly up to WWII.

Yet we (mostly) keep coming back to the Romans. I wonder if this is based on our shared Christian heritage. Even those of us in the west who are not Christians have grown up in a culture seeped in Christianity.

Thoughts?

Kisses

willowfall

Here is a story about the use of modern form of crucifixion used by Arabs:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/0...-countrys-diplomatic-dispute-with-canada.html

I am kind of fascinated with the fascination the we have (as a group) with the Roman version(s) of crucifixion.

Many cultures used crucifixion as a punishment both before and after Rome, yet we constantly seem to be enamored with Rome.

The Phoenicians and Carthaginians certainly practiced it as did the post Alexandrian Greeks.

I've been reading a history of the Nabateans (the Arabic people who created Petra) and the author mentions a Hasmonean (same line Herod the Great came out of) King of Judea by the name of Alexander Jarnaeus who crucified 800 of his opponents and had their wives and children (while he was drinking wine surrounded by his concubines) massacred in front of them as they were dying on the crosses.

The Arab conquerors of the Middle East practiced crucifixion at least into the 700s (although they tended to torture their victims to death on the cross, not to use it by itself as a form of execution).

There is a story of a Japanese Damiyo falling to capture his opponent after a battle and crucifying the man's wife and children instead.

And the Chinese Warlords may have been using it as a form of punishment possibly up to WWII.

Yet we (mostly) keep coming back to the Romans. I wonder if this is based on our shared Christian heritage. Even those of us in the west who are not Christians have grown up in a culture seeped in Christianity.

Thoughts?

Kisses

willowfall
Firstly, I’d be interested the know who the Japanese Damiyo is, and his victims too, if anyone has any additional info.

I think there are a few reasons. Firstly, women are not at the forefront of these Eastern societies I don’t believe. And if they are, it’s counter to popular belief, since what we are discussing is about popular belief. Apologies to those who’s taste lie in another direction, but I think the coldness with which these places treat women is kind of a turn off. I’m not saying that’s the truth about these cultures, but that’s our understanding of them.

And there’s also the emotional distance to Rome compared to these other places because of media. There is a lot of great Roman era tv and movies, and I think one of the biggest turn ons in the form of teasing is seeing a clothes Roman woman in a situation where I’m wondering if she shouldn’t, in fact, be naked.

Personally, I’m also a big fan of the Roman politics and back stabbing. Makes for a great story when the daughter of an important senator finds herself facing the cross because of Game of Thrones style maneuvering.

Personally, I’m also a big fan of the Roman politics and back stabbing. Makes for a great story when the daughter of an important senator finds herself facing the cross because of Game of Thrones style maneuvering.

Happens all the time here on CF :p

Another thought : our traditional views on Christ's crucifixion bear little ressemblance to Roman society. They have been shaped by religuous artwork from the Middle Ages, Renaissance, Baroque, until today. It is a romantic, gloryfying representation Christ's crucifixion.

You could also say that the role of the Romans in that story was rather a coincidence. Judea was a recently conquered province, far away from Rome, with a hostile population. The Romans got incidentally entangled in a domestic religuous conflict (one of the many, perhaps), just by being judicially in charge over there.

More important, perhaps, was that Christianity had found its way to Rome, some three decades later, and came in conflict there with the authoritarian emperors. This was the real clash with Roman society. There are accounts of the persecutions in the arena. Tacitus mentions crucifixions of Christians. Shortly after, Josephus descibed crucifixions of inhabitants of Jerusalem trying to escape from besieged Jerusalem.

How would these accounts have been received by us, today, if Christianity had not taken over the empire in the fourth century? Would they still have been a source of our interest, as we live it here on CF? And Would it have influenced our fascination for Roman society in a different way?

I’ll add another thought. Crucifixion is about being completely vulnerable and powerless, which means you’re at the mercy of someone powerful and whatever the opposite of vulnerable is. The Roman Empire is the great empire. Even Napoleon thought he was continuing the Roman Empire. So I think it’s about the crucified individual being so small and vulnerable at the hands of one of the greatest powers ever to exist.

Yes, as has been said, the kind of folk who gravitate to CruxForums and and enjoy ourselves here are not just products of a European - Anglo- American cultural compost in which both the Roman Empire and the Christian Church that grew out from it are major ingredients, but I think most of us - one way or another - had upbringings, educations and/or religious affiliations in which both those, and the Cross at the heart of both, loomed especially large and influential.

In my own stories, poems and fantasies, I find myself either in a Roman/ Biblical world where I feel pretty much at home, so much is familiar, or in a near-present-day dystopia (or eultopia?) where crucifixion (and/or female slavery) is part of an otherwise familiar landscape.

But I do find other cultures fascinating, what I see and learn here about - not just crucifixion, but female slavery and torture - in the near and far Eastern worlds excites me a lot, especially the ways in which women in those cultures seem to accept and cope with suffering in very different ways from westerners, ways which for me can seem intensely in tune with my own inner nature...

Although I empathise with slavegirls in the Islamic world, with Japanese kinbaku subs, with Chinese women in bondage on the Tiger Bench, I'd be cautious of trying to imagine myself into their minds and feelings - I think the nearest I've got might be the character of Yasmin in 'For the Pleasure of Prince Uday', she's based to some extent on Muslim girls I've known, and she and I do get (temporarily) crucified in a rather non-standard way, but not specifically Arabic.

Yes, as has been said, the kind of folk who gravitate to CruxForums and and enjoy ourselves here are not just products of a European - Anglo- American cultural compost in which both the Roman Empire and the Christian Church that grew out from it are major ingredients, but I think most of us - one way or another - had upbringings, educations and/or religious affiliations in which both those, and the Cross at the heart of both, loomed especially large and influential.

In my own stories, poems and fantasies, I find myself either in a Roman/ Biblical world where I feel pretty much at home, so much is familiar, or in a near-present-day dystopia (or eultopia?) where crucifixion (and/or female slavery) is part of an otherwise familiar landscape.

But I do find other cultures fascinating, what I see and learn here about - not just crucifixion, but female slavery and torture - in the near and far Eastern worlds excites me a lot, especially the ways in which women in those cultures seem to accept and cope with suffering in very different ways from westerners, ways which for me can seem intensely in tune with my own inner nature...

Although I empathise with slavegirls in the Islamic world, with Japanese kinbaku subs, with Chinese women in bondage on the Tiger Bench, I'd be cautious of trying to imagine myself into their minds and feelings - I think the nearest I've got might be the character of Yasmin in 'For the Pleasure of Prince Uday', she's based to some extent on Muslim girls I've known, and she and I do get (temporarily) crucified in a rather non-standard way, but not specifically Arabic.

Eulalia with what you have said it seems to me that here at the forum we are connecting with other cultures and trying to understand them through one specific means. We might not always agree with each others ideas on this forum but I think it is a good start at least. We should continue on because it creates new ideas and new viewpoints to discuss. These discussions allows us to continue expressing how we feel about crucifixion thereby adding relief knowing we can have these conversations with people of different backgrounds that can support our general interests in this forum.

Eulalia with what you have said it seems to me that here at the forum we are connecting with other cultures and trying to understand them through one specific means.

Hum, sometimes , I'm not sure of that ... English and Americans beeing dominant here, it appears that they're not always listening what we could think , in particulary for German or French people who have not English like maternal language ... It's difficult for us to express our intimate thoughts and sometimes, more empathy could be welcomed ...
But we tryto be " à la hauteur" ! ("at the good level " ) :D

Certainly for me the interaction with crux-lovers all over the world is a delightful thing about the Forums,
I've made good friends and we chat about all sorts of stuff, not always to do with crux or even bdsm -
and of course I get to learn more of other languages - and it's good that many members who aren't E1L speakers
are active on the Forums, I hope they feel that at least some of us do listen - and enjoy what they're saying :icon12:

I'm OK with your demarche, Eul, but , even if in Fantasy, I could dream about harems , it's not in thinking that I could be one of these oriental slaves who're accepting their fate ! I see rather myself like an occidental girl, captured by some arabian'pirats and sold to the market place , but, always trying to escape and to fight against the male rules ... even if it brings to me some harsh punisments ...
If you know the film, I liked it ...
Empathy, perhaps but not assimilation ...

Attachments

• da729e21.jpg
    da729e21.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 94
  • angelique_et_le_sultan011.jpg
    angelique_et_le_sultan011.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom