Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Character actor M Emmit Walsh has died at 88. You may not know the name, but you'd recognize the face as he was in a huge number of movies and TV shows. Roger Ebert created the "Stanton-Walsh Rule,", declaring that "no movie featuring either Harry Dean Stanton or M. Emmet Walsh in a supporting role can be altogether bad." He later said that "Wild, Wild West" proved that he was wrong.

What a wonderful man!

Martin Greenfield: Tailor who survived Auschwitz and dressed presidents dies.

An Auschwitz survivor who went on to become a tailor for clients including six US presidents, Frank Sinatra and Leonardo DiCaprio has died aged 95.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68625246

I was never a fan of the Dragon Ball franchise, but it is impossible to deny its impact on artists in Japan and elsewhere and its contribution to the spread in popularity of manga and anime worldwide.
View attachment 1442904
Ive watched Dragon Ball A LOT! sad...so sad, even last year ive had purchased posable Kid ChiChi figure from S.H Figurats.
I would like to collect the entire collection of Dragon Ball characters, but it is expensive, so I would prefer to get Kid Goku from someone for my birthday on August 3 gift, so that Little ChiChi doesn't have to be alone when I'm not home.

Attachments

• kcc_by_jayr1994_dg7l82u-375w-2x.jpg
    kcc_by_jayr1994_dg7l82u-375w-2x.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 24
What a wonderful man!

Martin Greenfield: Tailor who survived Auschwitz and dressed presidents dies.

An Auschwitz survivor who went on to become a tailor for clients including six US presidents, Frank Sinatra and Leonardo DiCaprio has died aged 95.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68625246
I looked at his custom suits. They run a pretty penny for the high end materials

Character actor M Emmit Walsh has died at 88. You may not know the name, but you'd recognize the face as he was in a huge number of movies and TV shows. Roger Ebert created the "Stanton-Walsh Rule,", declaring that "no movie featuring either Harry Dean Stanton or M. Emmet Walsh in a supporting role can be altogether bad." He later said that "Wild, Wild West" proved that he was wrong.
Blood simple and Blade Runner…

I think Gosset's best performance was in Enemy Mine. He was able to create a sympathetic character under layers of makeup using only his voice and body language. And he wasn't cast because he was the best black actor for the role, but the best actor.
I've always thought that the title of this film is wrong. Given the stortline and the overall concept, "Mine Enemy" makes a hell of a lot more sense, yet "Enemy Mine" seems to have passed into the popular lexicon regardless despite it not really making any sense in the context of the film...

I've always thought that the title of this film is wrong. Given the stortline and the overall concept, "Mine Enemy" makes a hell of a lot more sense, yet "Enemy Mine" seems to have passed into the popular lexicon regardless despite it not really making any sense in the context of the film...
"Enemy Mine" was the title of the 1979 novella by Barry B Longyear on which the film is based. I admit, it is grammatically odd.
I think this is shamefully underrated film.

I admit, it is grammatically odd.
There's lots of debate about the title on the internet. It does seem that the author, Barry Longyear, chose it as simply a more striking phrase than 'My Enemy', although the studio insisted on dragging a mineral mine of some sort into the film. The post-positioned possessive was a rhetorical way of emphasising it in earlier English writing - Shakespeare's 'O Mistress mine' is the best-known example, but it goes back at least as far as the Old English version of the Lord's Prayer which began 'Fæder ure ...', a direct translation of 'Pater noster', and that may be the origin of the idiom.

Last edited:
I always thought it as a double entredra as a personal enemy or ,since they were at war, a warning of the explosive weapon of the same spelling.
Although the author clarified the Possessive form of the title in interviews.
It was a neat flick when I saw it way back and always interesting to see different sci/ fi made other than in the U.S. even though produced by one of its major studios.

Last edited:
Lou Conter, the last surviving crew member of the USS Arizona had died at the age of 102.
Only some 335 of more than 1500 crewmembers of USS Arizona survived. According to his biography, after Pearl Harbour, he became a Navy aviator, was shot down twice, but survived and made it back to the shore in a raft each time. Ultimately, he lived till over 100 years. Some people have a good guardian angel.

Peter Higgs (1929-2024), British theoretical physicist, known for discovering the Higgs mechanism, about how elementary particles acquired mass. Laureate of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 2013.
Indeed, famous for his particle - the only person to have his name given to something without which the universe wouldn't stay together!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68774195
The Higgs boson, sometimes called the "God particle (!)", postulated in 1964 and discovered in 2012.

There's lots of debate about the title on the internet. It does seem that the author, Barry Longyear, chose it as simply a more striking phrase than 'My Enemy', although the studio insisted on dragging a mineral mine of some sort into the film. The post-positioned possessive was a rhetorical way of emphasising it in earlier English writing - Shakespeare's 'O Mistress mine' is the best-known example, but it goes back at least as far as the Old English version of the Lord's Prayer which began 'Fæder ure ...', a direct translation of 'Pater noster', and that may be the origin of the idiom.

Here, the title was "Enemigo mío". So we didn't have any sort of grammatical discusion about it...

Here, the title was "Enemigo mío". So we didn't have any sort of grammatical discusion about it...
And the relevance of the mineral mine was presumably a complete mystery?

Back
Top Bottom